Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Custom Units & Army Cards (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Pre-SoV Workshop (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=47761)

capsocrates February 19th, 2013 03:09 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by IshMEL (Post 1766831)
Looking forward to this! Maybe you can outline how you see this group in relation to the 3FG, the CHCG24, and your new playtesting exchange group. For a beginner, having a "road map" would be helpful in thinking about where to go for advice.

As for my personal vision for how this particular thread relates to the others: 3FG and CHG24 focus on making your custom the best it can be. They're not necessarily concerned with the canon, or with other thematic concerns. I envision this thread as a place where fans and judges alike could discuss how a unit might or might not fit into the canon.

There are other things that should be discussed here as well, of course, but most of them are handled by 3FG and CHG24.

greygnarl himself (and maybe even some of the other SoV judges), may have other ideas for the purpose of this thread as well.

There are many little things that will be left alone in 3FG or CHG24 that will bother fans or judges come nomination time. Ideally, this thread would be an opportunity to address those things before the unit enters SoV review and becomes essentially unchangeable.

greygnarl February 19th, 2013 03:11 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 1767101)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IshMEL (Post 1766831)
Looking forward to this! Maybe you can outline how you see this group in relation to the 3FG, the CHCG24, and your new playtesting exchange group. For a beginner, having a "road map" would be helpful in thinking about where to go for advice.

As for my personal vision for how this particular thread relates to the others: 3FG and CHG24 focus on making your custom the best it can be. They're not necessarily concerned with the canon, or with other thematic concerns. I envision this thread as a place where fans and judges alike could discuss how a unit might or might not fit into the canon.

There are other things that should be discussed here as well, of course, but most of them are handled by 3FG and CHG24.

greygnarl himself (and maybe even some of the other SoV judges), may have other ideas for the purpose of this thread as well.

I agree with this mostly. The other purpose for this thread is that it could make a community custom ala Kheris Fehn to submit to the SoV. That would be something for the future though if enough people were interested.

Heroscaper Guy February 19th, 2013 03:16 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1767103)
Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 1767101)
Quote:

Originally Posted by IshMEL (Post 1766831)
Looking forward to this! Maybe you can outline how you see this group in relation to the 3FG, the CHCG24, and your new playtesting exchange group. For a beginner, having a "road map" would be helpful in thinking about where to go for advice.

As for my personal vision for how this particular thread relates to the others: 3FG and CHG24 focus on making your custom the best it can be. They're not necessarily concerned with the canon, or with other thematic concerns. I envision this thread as a place where fans and judges alike could discuss how a unit might or might not fit into the canon.

There are other things that should be discussed here as well, of course, but most of them are handled by 3FG and CHG24.

greygnarl himself (and maybe even some of the other SoV judges), may have other ideas for the purpose of this thread as well.

I agree with this mostly. The other purpose for this thread is that it could make a community custom ala Kheris Fehn to submit to the SoV. That would be something for the future though if enough people were interested.

I hadn't thought of a community custom but it makes sense. We could come up with an idea like the French community did (anti dragon figure), construct a theme for it, construct powers and stats for it, and find a figure for the idea.

White Knight February 19th, 2013 03:30 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767050)
Beyond that, though, personally I would never agree to the choice of figure. A bronze dragon is not a green dragon any more than a daisy is not a tulip. Even if you paint it green and say it's from Icaria, that dragon design is clearly a D&D bronze dragon. I couldn't get past that.

Well, we already have an adult blue dragon (Quahon) who somehow lost/absorbed his front legs (see Blue Wyrmling) on the way to adulthood.;)

A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

greygnarl February 19th, 2013 03:35 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767050)
Beyond that, though, personally I would never agree to the choice of figure. A bronze dragon is not a green dragon any more than a daisy is not a tulip. Even if you paint it green and say it's from Icaria, that dragon design is clearly a D&D bronze dragon. I couldn't get past that.

Well, we already have an adult blue dragon (Quahon) who somehow lost/absorbed his front legs (see Blue Wyrmling) on the way to adulthood.;)

A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

I agree. We have Super Battle Droids for crying out loud. I don't think Super Battle Droids every time I look at them, I think Zettian Infantry. I'm pretty sure when most people see that sculpt they think Green Wyrmling, and if it went through SoV I'm pretty sure it would reinforce that viewpoint.

Scytale February 19th, 2013 03:41 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

The color change is meaningless; repainting is easy. It is the look of the dragon that is the issue. Each type of D&D dragon has a distinct design. Bronze dragons always look like this, and green dragons always look like this. Even if it's not from a D&D world, it still looks exactly like a D&D bronze wyrmling. It's like using a lion miniature and calling it a tiger.

greygnarl February 19th, 2013 03:44 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767130)
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

The color change is meaningless; repainting is easy. It is the look of the dragon that is the issue. Each type of D&D dragon has a distinct design. Bronze dragons always look like this, and green dragons always look like this. Even if it's not from a D&D world, it still looks exactly like a D&D bronze wyrmling. It's like using a lion miniature and calling it a tiger.

You would vote down the Green Wyrmling based on that alone?

MegaSilver February 19th, 2013 03:46 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767050)
Beyond that, though, personally I would never agree to the choice of figure. A bronze dragon is not a green dragon any more than a daisy is not a tulip. Even if you paint it green and say it's from Icaria, that dragon design is clearly a D&D bronze dragon. I couldn't get past that.

Well, we already have an adult blue dragon (Quahon) who somehow lost/absorbed his front legs (see Blue Wyrmling) on the way to adulthood.;)

A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

Uhh, none of the wyrmlings really look like the parents on close expection, so that point is moot. But I get what you are saying.

DanieLoche February 19th, 2013 03:47 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy (Post 1767106)
I hadn't thought of a community custom but it makes sense. We could come up with an idea like the French community did (anti dragon figure), construct a theme for it, construct powers and stats for it, and find a figure for the idea.


I can precise (as the original creator of Kheris Fehn) that it's much harder than it seems to be. For Kheris for example, I made a card for him few months before we decided to exploit the idea for SoV. Then, it's about 45 pages of "intense" discussion to arrived at the final Army Card.
To make a community custom, it's as at C3V: we have to be very well organized and don't give up when a difficulty appears or when a "big playtesting job" is needed.

At this moment, we are working about another custom that will be submitted for SoV. We are facing some issues... Courage!


Obviously, the first thing to see when you create a custom, it's an available figure. It's not a good idea to make first the Card, and then impress a "WANTED" poster for a nice figure. ;)
All in all, I think it will be hard organizing a strong "Custom Builder Department for SoV" in such thread... but why not! ^^

But in another hand, it's a very good idea to make us possible to talk about some customs that could be submitted for SoV. I will enjoy helping others about "Canon's belonging", power's wording and each other detail that could make a custom better in order to be accepted by the SoV. ;)

Heroscaper Guy February 19th, 2013 03:49 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767130)
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

The color change is meaningless; repainting is easy. It is the look of the dragon that is the issue. Each type of D&D dragon has a distinct design. Bronze dragons always look like this, and green dragons always look like this. Even if it's not from a D&D world, it still looks exactly like a D&D bronze wyrmling. It's like using a lion miniature and calling it a tiger.

Yes, but you can paint a female tiger to look like a female lion (don't recommend this as there's a high risk of bodily harm). The average person won't know. The dragon pictures you showed to me the main difference was the wings and color. The wings are small on the wyrmlings so you can't really tell by that. The color can just be repainted on the miniature.

Scytale February 19th, 2013 03:49 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greygnarl (Post 1767133)
You would vote down the Green Wyrmling based on that alone?

Yes I would. The other Wyrmlings are all D&D wyrmlings. There have been some persuasive arguments to allow a wyrmling that is not a D&D one to join the ranks, but turning a bronze into a green is going too far. That's not to say it wouldn't pass SoV over my :down:, but that's my vote.

DanieLoche February 19th, 2013 03:51 PM

Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scytale (Post 1767130)
Quote:

Originally Posted by White Knight (Post 1767116)
A color change doesn't see so drastic to me.:D

The color change is meaningless; repainting is easy. It is the look of the dragon that is the issue. Each type of D&D dragon has a distinct design. Bronze dragons always look like this, and green dragons always look like this. Even if it's not from a D&D world, it still looks exactly like a D&D bronze wyrmling. It's like using a lion miniature and calling it a tiger.

Sorry, but when I see these photos, I can't imagine how a heroscaper that isn't an expert about D&D dragons could make the difference...

Anybody has a photo of the little Bronze dragon, to compare with Charos for example?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.