Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

Lamaclown August 11th, 2010 08:28 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1171259)
Any possiblity of reducing her normal attack to 2? She's still have 4 attack against adjacent figures and 5 attack against adjacent vampires. Or even reduce her attack to 2, but increase the other bonuses by 1. I don't think Buffy needs a high ranged attack.

I would go along with that. It would also help with cost control. I would say still start her at 180 and go from there, though.

(prepare for a shameless plug)
BTW, I have created a few maps based on (or inspired by) our customs project. There is a Castlevania map (not a recreation, just inspired by Simon), a Dr. Who map (a recreation of one of my favorite episodes), and a Buffy map (a recreation of the final episodes of the series). I couldn't think of one for Agent J unfortunately. You can click the link to my maps in my sig if you want to check them out.
(shameless plug finished)

wulfhunter667 August 11th, 2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1171530)
Quote:

Any possiblity of reducing her normal attack to 2? She's still have 4 attack against adjacent figures and 5 attack against adjacent vampires. Or even reduce her attack to 2, but increase the other bonuses by 1. I don't think Buffy needs a high ranged attack.

I would go along with that. It would also help with cost control. I would say still start her at 180 and go from there, though.

The reasoning behind leaving her base attack at 3 is twofold. First, being the Slayer, she is well trained in the use of deadly force and would know just the right spot to make a crossbow bolt hurt. Second, she will need that extra die against an Human figures she attacks. Yes, she might pull her punches a bit against normal, everyday people on the street, and the way I have her now, she continues doing that. But, this is the battle of all time. The Humans she faces are trying to kill her. Why would she not aim to kill in that kind of fight? I have to say no to reducing her base attack. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will go with 190 for her cost to reflect that for now. Obviously, playtesting will determine her final cost.

mac122 August 11th, 2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulfhunter667 (Post 1171598)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1171530)
Quote:

The reasoning behind leaving her base attack at 3 is twofold. First, being the Slayer, she is well trained in the use of deadly force and would know just the right spot to make a crossbow bolt hurt. Second, she will need that extra die against an Human figures she attacks. Yes, she might pull her punches a bit against normal, everyday people on the street, and the way I have her now, she continues doing that. But, this is the battle of all time. The Humans she faces are trying to kill her. Why would she not aim to kill in that kind of fight? I have to say no to reducing her base attack. It just doesn't make sense to me. I will go with 190 for her cost to reflect that for now. Obviously, playtesting will determine her final cost.

I could see her attack going to 2, but Wulf makes a persuasive arguement. I suggest we leave her attack at 3 and start her point cost at 190 and see how it goes. If playtesting shows that 3 attack would drive her point cost too high, then we can revisit and adjust it then.

Lamaclown August 12th, 2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac122 (Post 1171687)
I could see her attack going to 2, but Wulf makes a persuasive arguement. I suggest we leave her attack at 3 and start her point cost at 190 and see how it goes. If playtesting shows that 3 attack would drive her point cost too high, then we can revisit and adjust it then.

Sounds reasonable to me.

~Lamaclown, suddenly feeling like nothing more than a "Yes Man" ;)

Balantai August 12th, 2010 11:37 AM

I see what you're saying Wulf. I have another suggestion:

Current Wording:
SLAYER'S STRENGTH
When Buffy attacks an adjacent figure that is not Human, you may roll 2 additional attack dice. Buffy may roll 1 additional attack die if the defending figure has the Drain Life Special Power.

Suggested Wording:
SLAYER'S STRENGTH
When Buffy attacks an adjacent figure, you may roll 2 additional attack dice. If Buffy attacks a figure that is not Human, you may roll 1 additional attack die. If Buffy attack a figure with the Drain Life Special Power, you may roll 1 additonal attack die. Additional attack dice may be cumulative.

With this wording and a reduction in attack to 2, Buffy would have an attack of 2 at range and 4 against adjacent Humans, and an attack of 3 at range and 5 against adjacent non-Humans and 4 at range and 6 against adjacent Vampires. In my opinion, Buffy's range attack should be less than her hand to hand combat, where she specialized.

wulfhunter667 August 12th, 2010 08:54 PM

I just can't see it Balantai. Unless someone else has major objection to it, I'll leave it as is and see how it plays out in playtest. Also, unless anyone else has further comments, I think she might be ready for a vote.

Balantai August 13th, 2010 06:26 PM

Here's the current version:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer V. 2.0

http://blogonomicon.eponym.com/buffy.jpg

The figure used for this unit is a Horrorclix figure #067 -#069, Vampire Hunter.

http://74.50.48.3/uploaded_images/thumb/47193-thumb.jpg

Background:
To be determined later.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

TV, Movies & Comics: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Human
Unique Hero
Slayer
Valiant
Medium 5

Possible Stats
LIFE 5
MOVE 6
RANGE 5
ATTACK 3
DEFENSE 4
POINTS 190

SLAYER'S AGILITY
Buffy is never attacked when leaving an engagement. Buffy never takes falling damage.

SLAYER'S STRENGTH
When Buffy attacks an adjacent figure that is not Human, you may roll 2 additional attack dice. Buffy may roll 1 additional attack die if the defending figure has the Drain Life Special Power.

SLAYER'S TRAINING
Buffy may be considered Large size when determining the effects of enemy figure's Special Powers. When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from a non-adjacent attacking figure, one shield will block all damage. When rolling defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent attacking figure, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.

Hrockle August 13th, 2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balantai (Post 1173903)
Spoiler Alert!

Buffy never takes falling damage doesn't sound official. Are there any official cards that reference falling damage we might use?

Buffy the Vampire Slayer never rolls for falling damage.

Sounds a bit more official, but I don't know if it is.

Lamaclown August 13th, 2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrockle (Post 1173914)
Quote:

Buffy never takes falling damage doesn't sound official. Are there any official cards that reference falling damage we might use?

I searched and searched and could find nothing. I even looked in the rulebooks to see how they addressed the issue of falling and flying figures to see how it was worded. They never address the issue.

I would go with what hrockle said; it sounds pretty good.

mac122 August 13th, 2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1174070)
Quote:

Quote:

I searched and searched and could find nothing. I even looked in the rulebooks to see how they addressed the issue of falling and flying figures to see how it was worded. They never address the issue.

From the Marvel rulebook in reference to the Superstrength symbol:
"A figure with this symbol is not affected by the Falling and Major Falling rules. The character is still affected by the Extreme Falling rules."
So:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is not affected by the Falling and Major Falling rules. Buffy is still affected by the Extreme Falling rules.

Would be official-style wording.

In the Book of Silver Surfer:
The 'S' symbol.
A figure with Superstrength is immune to Falling and Major Falling; the figure is not immune to Extreme Falling however.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer is immune to Falling and Major Falling. Buffy is not immune to Extreme Falling.
Would be semi-official wording.

wulfhunter667 August 13th, 2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamaclown (Post 1174070)
Quote:

Quote:

The current wording is almost verbatim from the Superstrength power listing in the Marvel rulesbook. Also, I'll draw your attention to C3G's Catwoman here. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Hrockle August 14th, 2010 10:15 PM

I guess I'll start the round of up-thumbs.

:thumbsup: