Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Misc Customs Project Forum (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31300)

mac122 August 20th, 2014 02:22 PM

Re: Heroes of Fiction: Design Thread

There is room on the card for 3 powers. The font ends up about the same size as the 2nd and 3rd Blobs.

I know Jack used firearms later on, but I'd prefer to eliminate the range increase in the SA. It feels more like a special power that has been jammed into the SA.

For Parley, I believe we need a range restriction. If the figure is clear across the battlefield, Jack would not be able to "Parley" with them.

Quote:

RESERVED SHOT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 7.
At the start of the game chose an opponent's Unique Hero. Captain Jack Sparrow may only use this attack against the chosen hero and may only use this attack once per game.

PARLEY
Whenever an opponent reveals an order marker for a figure within X clear sight spaces of Captain Jack Sparrow, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13-19, that figure's turn immediately ends. If you roll a 20, you may take temporary control of that figure's Army Card and all figures on it. Immediately take a turn with that figure's Army Card. At the end of that turn, control of that figure's Army Card returns to the player who controlled it before Parley. All Order Markers that were on that figure's card will stay on the card.

TREASURE COMPASS
Captain Jack Sparrow may add 3 to his Move value as long as he is unengaged prior to moving. Jack must be able to end his move on a Glyph in order to use Treasure Compass.

mac122 August 20th, 2014 08:13 PM

One thing that bothers me about Jack, is he doesn't seem to be a very formidable fighter. It's evident in the movies that he is a excellent swordsman. Just throwing this out there. We've done treasure glyphs for other figures in this project. What if Jack's Compass was a treasure glyph instead of a power on his card? We could replace the power with a close combat power that represented his swordplay.

JC McMinis August 20th, 2014 08:52 PM

I like that idea mac.

McHotcakes August 20th, 2014 11:51 PM

I think 3 attack is a fairly accurate depiction of his skill. 3 attack to me suggests someone who is a very good fighter, not amazing, but very good. I think that is where Jack is at. Keep in mind he has no "Bruce Lee" moment, where everyone marvels at his fighting ability as he single handedly takes out 20 men. Most of Jack's fights are usually very hard fought and he mainly relies on trickery rather than actual skill to defeat his opponents.

To quote the first film.
Jack- "Put it away, son. It's not worth you getting beat again."

Will- "You didn't beat me. You ignored the rules of engagement! In a fair fight, I'd kill you!"

Jack- "Well, that's not much incentive for me to fight fair then, is it?"

I think Parley would be enough to keep Jack alive while he slowly pokes away at his attacker.

mac122 August 21st, 2014 01:20 AM

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about adding to his stats or making him a one man army. I'm just suggesting adding a power that enhances his attack or defense against an adjacent opponent

Something like this
Quote:

DEFENSIVE AGILITY
When Captain Jack Sparrow rolls defense dice against a normal attack from an adjacent figure, one shield will block all damage.
or this
Quote:

TACTICAL SWITCH
When Captain Jack Sparrow attacks an opponent's small or medium figure, before rolling the attack dice, you may switch Captain Jack Sparrow with the defending figure. After switching spaces, Captain Jack Sparrow must continue that attack, if possible, and cannot attack any other figure this turn. Figures moved by Tactical Switch never take any leaving engagement attacks. An opponent's figure may be moved by Tactical Switch only once per turn.
or perhaps an adjacent version of One Shield Defense
Quote:

POWER NAME
When rolling defense dice against an adjacent attacking figure, if Captain Jack Sparrow rolls at least one shield, the most wounds he may take for this attack is one.

Confred August 21st, 2014 09:00 PM

User CP has been slacking with updates! I missed all of these responses. I'm already late for work so I'm copy pasting from my notebook my thoughts before the above were mentioned.

TREASURE COMPASS
Before moving for any reason, Captain Jack Sparrow may use his Compass to end his move on a Glyph by adding 2 to his Move value. When using his Compass, Captain Jack Sparrow may ignore the special powers of terrain.
-
RESERVED BULLET SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 5.
At the start of the game, choose a Unique Hero an opponent controls. Captain Jack Sparrow may only attack the chosen hero with his Reserved Bullet Special Attack. After using his Reserved Bullet Special Attack for the first time, Captain Jack Sparrow adds 4 to his Range value and cannot attack with his Reserved Bullet Special Attack for the duration of the game.
-
PARLAY
If any enemy figure ends its move adjacent to Captain Jack Sparrow, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 17 or higher, you may move either Captain Jack Sparrow or the enemy figure 4 spaces and end the turn. Figures moved with Parlay are never attacked for leaving an engagement and may move through all figures. If the enemy figure is a Pirate, add 5 to your roll.

Disclaimer: These are rough drafts; wordings aren't perfect on rough drafts and are often wordier than necessary. Any differences in wordings from other members are by coincidence, but if by chance mine are better the changes shouldn't be overlooked.

Life 4
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 2
Defense 5
- He's basically a ratborg hero

Spoiler Alert!

JC McMinis August 27th, 2014 12:55 AM

I just watched the first three pirates movies the other day. Jack hardly uses his gun in fighting. I do not think we need to add 4 to his range after using reserved bullet s.a.
I think we should make the compass a treasure /equipment glyph and then how about this seeing as he does not fight fair.

You Cheated (name is negotiable)
Jack Sparrow is not affected by any ability that would inflict automatic damage.

Confred August 27th, 2014 09:11 AM

@JC - I think automatic damage would be one of the only ways to get past his Parlay.

I'm fine with having his compass as a Treasure Glyph

McHotcakes August 27th, 2014 01:06 PM

Sorry for my absence this past week or so, but moving on here is where I am at so far.

Life 4
Move 6
Range 1
Attack 3
Defense 3

-Turn the compass into a treasure glyph

-Reserved Bullet
Range 5. Attack 6.
At the start of the game chose a unique hero an opponent controls. Jack Sparrow may only use this attack against that hero, and may only use it once per game.

Dropped the adding of range after he uses this attack. Also dropped the attack to 6. I still want this attack to be fairly powerful, it is his one chance at revenge after all.

-Parley
Whenever an opponent reveals an order marker for a figure within 5 clear sight spaces of Captain Jack Sparrow, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13-19, that figure's turn immediately ends. If you roll a 20, you may take temporary control of that figure's Army Card and all figures on it. Immediately take a turn with that figure's Army Card. At the end of that turn, control of that figure's Army Card returns to the player who controlled it before Parley. All Order Markers that were on that figure's card will stay on the card.

I like this version of Parley. I know Confred was concerned about Jack being to similar to Red Skull but I don't really see it. Manipulating his enemies to his will is in character for Jack, and its only a 1 in 20 shot of doing so anyway, so its not like it will be a regular thing for the figure.

-Tricky Defense?
When Jack Sparrow is attacked with a normal attack by an adjacent figure and at least 1 skull is rolled you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1-11? roll defense dice normally, if you roll 12 or higher? then Jack ignores all skulls rolled and you may place him on any empty space adjacent to the attacking figure. Jack will not take any leaving engagement attacks.

This is just a quick idea on how to make Jack a more formidable fighter. Theme wise its basically just Jack confusing his opponent and using their confusion to move into a better position.

Taeblewalker August 28th, 2014 03:09 AM

I like what you have so far, though 13-19 might be a little too good.

Taeblewalker March 16th, 2015 08:22 PM

Are we still working on anything here?

JC McMinis March 18th, 2015 03:45 PM

I am still game if everyone else is.