Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Game Formats (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=51697)

fireemblemrox May 12th, 2015 04:13 AM

Game Formats

I've seen a lot of different game formats all around the forums but haven't really found a compilation of cool game formats that scapers can reference for new ideas.

I want to gather as many known ways to play classic scape as possible so that each game feels even more unique. My goal is to make this thread a reference thread for game formats similar to the map directory that we have, so make sure to contribute whatever modes you've played on as well!
  • Standard 500 point
  • Standard 400 point
  • Standard 600 point
  • Standard 520 point
  • Wave Wars (Army composition predominantly from same wave)
  • Heat of Battle (Placement of units as if in the midst of fighting)
  • Heroes Only
  • Squads Only
  • Ranking Limitations (No A+ units for example)
  • Capture the Flag
  • King of the Hill
  • Castle Defense
  • General Warfare (One general only)
  • Reverse the Whip (Choose Opponent's Units, or an Opponent's Army)
  • Campaigns/Dungeon Crawls
  • 250 point skirmish
  • 16 start spaces instead of 24
  • Regicide (Protect a 'King' Unit)
  • Diversity (Only 1 card per general allowed per army)
  • Unique Squads Only

Credit to Dysole:
  • Pick Your Poison (Draft your Opponent's Army)
  • Army Draft (Each player brings two armies, and selects one from the pool of four to use)
  • Army Draft First Crack (As Army Draft but you may not select one of your armies without deferring selection to your opponent)
  • Chaos of Battle (Place opponent's figures Heat of Battle style)
  • Pod Draft (Bring 2-3 pods. Combined into a pool with opponent. Each player picks 2 pods.)
  • Treasure Quest (Most Treasure Glyphs (out of 5) on figures when last treasure glyph is revealed)
  • Escape (Option to remove unengaged figures from opponent's start zone at the end of turn. Most points removed wins)
  • Claim the Flag (As Capture the Flag but must simply be unengaged and standing on opponent's flag at the end of the turn)
  • Draft (Bring pool of X points. Combined with opponent's. Draft from pool.)
  • Team Tournament
  • Delta + (Bring armies using Delta Pricing system)
  • Betrayal from Within (Before the game, choose an opponent's army card. You get all figures on that army card or cards (if the army card is common))
  • Casualties of War (Lose 100 points (or more if you choose) each round from your army. Add back in one of your drops for playoffs)
  • No points (limitations on start zone spaces linked to highest point figure in game. (e.g. all figures <=180 = 14 spaces, all figures <=160, 16 spaces))
  • Pick from large collection of premade armies. Can't play same premade more than once.
  • Bring army. Option to choose premade armies that gain advantage from map and/or special rules in place of your own army.
  • Missions Tournament (bring draft pool and build army from draft pool for each game which has a different scenario)
  • Life limit format (Figures must not exceed total life limit)
  • Species format (Must contain at least X points worth of Y different species)

Credit to Porkins:[*]Rescue Raelin

Credit to Tornado:[*]D20 Determination (Roll a D20 and reference a list for drafts)

More formats can be found at post # ____ of this thread.

Dysole May 12th, 2015 05:47 AM

OHS Formats

Here are formats that have been used in OHS/Classic online seasons that are not in your master list.

Army Draft/Bring 2 (Bring 2 armies. Combined into a pool with opponent. Each player picks one army.)
Army Draft Pick Your Poison (As Army Draft but pick army opponent plays)
Army Draft First Crack (As Army Draft but you may not select one of your armies without deferring selection to your opponent)
Chaos of Battle (Place opponent's figures Heat of Battle style)
Pod Draft (Bring 2-3 pods. Combined into a pool with opponent. Each player picks 2 pods.)
Treasure Quest (Most Treasure Glyphs (out of 5) on figures when last treasure glyph is revealed)
Escape (Option to remove unengaged figures from opponent's start zone at the end of turn. Most points removed wins)
Claim the Flag (As Capture the Flag but must simply be unengaged and standing on opponent's flag at the end of the turn)
Draft (Bring pool of X points. Combined with opponent's. Draft from pool.)
Team Tournament
Delta + (Bring armies using Delta Pricing system)
Betrayal from Within (Before the game, choose an opponent's army card. You get all figures on that army card or cards (if the army card is common))
Casualties of War (Lose 100 points (or more if you choose) each round from your army. Add back in one of your drops for playoffs)

Formats I have played locally.

No points (limitations on start zone spaces linked to highest point figure in game. (e.g. all figures <=180 = 14 spaces, all figures <=160, 16 spaces))
Pick from large collection of premade armies. Can't play same premade more than once.
Bring army. Option to choose premade armies that gain advantage from map and/or special rules in place of your own army.
Missions Tournament (bring draft pool and build army from draft pool for each game which has a different scenario)

Two more. Not actual formats but were army challenges done by kevindola.

Life limit format (Figures must not exceed total life limit)
Species format (Must contain at least X points worth of Y different species)

Hope that helps.

~Dysole, who may have forgotten some

Porkins May 12th, 2015 01:44 PM

Re: Game Formats

Rescue Raelin is one that is not on your list.

Are you looking for "official" or "tournament style" formats or just anything and everything?

Tornado May 12th, 2015 01:55 PM

We used to play random armies that were determined by rolling a d20 and referencing a list. There is a thread with a bunch of lists like this.

Some really cool formats were printed in Knights of the Dinner Table(#100 I believe).
My group really enjoyed the Carvin Marvin scenario and created an expanded version.

fireemblemrox May 12th, 2015 02:40 PM

Knights of the Dinner Table?

Dad_Scaper May 12th, 2015 03:05 PM

Feel free to go through the battle reports linked in my sig. There's an index in the OP, from which you can link to each tourney report. Other than "Multiplayer Madness" and Reverse the Whip, you won't see many (any?) repetitions.

kolakoski May 12th, 2015 05:31 PM

Well met!

I'm not sure if a lot of what I've come up with for the Gang of Four are formats or something else. The latest (
Balance of Power!) combines within its Victory Conditions a new Free for All scoring system (to discourage alliances), an MVP (unit that scores the most points, after subtracting its cost), and the more standard Most Points Remaining on the Table at the End.

P.S.: Porkins, you're not referring to my old
The Rapture of Raelin! - A Valhalla Society Adventure, are you?

Porkins May 12th, 2015 05:59 PM

No.

ollie May 12th, 2015 06:38 PM

One I don't see yet that we've used a couple of times in the Northeast is War of the Worlds---every unit must be from the same planet.

This is a cool list. I wonder if there's a better way to organise the first post so that it's easier to find a type of game you're looking for? I don't have a clear idea what that might look like, but one split is between army restrictions (like War of the Worlds), win conditions (like Regicide) and scenario/set-up conditions (like Heat of Battle). Coming up with a list like this might make it easier to navigate, even if some formats end up in multiple categories and/or a none-of-the-above category is needed.

Tornado May 12th, 2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireemblemrox (Post 2020767)
Knights of the Dinner Table?

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/...20061111054107
http://www.recalledcomics.com/KoDT-Gazebo.jpg
http://tesseraguild.com/wp-content/u...otdt-strip.jpg

Here is a link to the pdf of the scenarios.

kolakoski May 12th, 2015 07:28 PM

Well met!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolakoski (Post 2020784)

P.S.: Porkins, you're not referring to my old The Rapture of Raelin! - A Valhalla Society Adventure, are you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porkins (Post 2020786)

No.

Oops! You're right. I forgot that The Rapture of Raelin! was not rescue but rapine. What distinguishes "Rescue Raelin"?

kolakoski May 12th, 2015 07:32 PM

Well met!

[Deleted]