Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Events (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   NE Ohio Heroscape / Summoner Wars Tournament? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=33787)

killercactus November 29th, 2010 10:59 AM

NE Ohio Heroscape / Summoner Wars Tournament?

Our next NE Ohio tournament will combine Heroscape and Summoner Wars, and will take place January 8th, 2011 at All American Cards and Comics in Warren, OH. Signups begin at 12:30, and dice roll at 1:00 (this is a change from the previous 11:30 and 12:00 - I now have to work that Saturday until noon). Since I can't get there until 12:30, please try to be on time as I don't want to make the day last longer since we're starting late. The store will be open by 12, so feel free to come early and get some games in. The Heroscape maps should be setup the night before.

The tournament will be held in the basement of All American (the same place for those of you that have been here before for my tournaments). There is a parking deck behind the store that is free on the weekends - I suggest parking there. You can also come in the back way through the door that says "All American" on it. The basement stairs are just to the left of that door. You can also come in through the front and go downstairs using the stairs by the main counter.

There would be three 45 minute games of Heroscape and three 45 minute games of Summoner Wars (it will go HS, SW, HS, SW, etc). If the tournament only goes 5 rounds, there will be 2 games of each, and the last round will be randomly determined per matchup. There will be no break in-between, so eat before you come. All-American has snacks and pop available for purchase. The Heroscape games will be 450 Point armies, and the Summoner Wars games would be the normal format game, which means you have to pick a faction and play it. At least 300 Points of your Heroscape army has to be the same "race" as your Summoner Wars faction, as follows:

Phoenix Elves = at least 300 Points of Elves
Tundra Orcs = at least 300 Points of Orcs
Guild Dwarves = at least 300 Points of Dwarves
Cave Goblins = at least 300 Points of Goblins
Vanguards = at least 300 Points of MELEE humans (defined as Range = 1. Humans with Range = 1 but that have Special Attacks or Powers with Range > 1 are legal)
Fallen Kingdom = at least 300 Points of Undead

Please bring your own army cards, figures, combat dice, D20's, D6's, and Summoner Wars faction deck. Bring a prize for the prize table if you want to take one. Marvel and all custom figures are not allowed. Samuel Brown is legal as long as you are using the correct sculpt. Summoner Wars reinforcements are legal if you have them, though official deck-building rules apply.

The tie-breakers go like this:

1) W-L record
2) Points
3) Best W-L record of EITHER Heroscape or Summoner Wars
4) SoS

Scoring will be full-card scoring for Heroscape battles. Winning for Summoner Wars battles that go to time will be determined by the amount of wounds dealt to the opposing summoner. If a Summoner Wars game goes to time, the player with the most WOUNDS DEALT to the opposing Summoner is the winner (so if you're playing Elves vs. Orcs and you wound Grognack once, and you're Elien hasn't been wounded, you win even though Grognack has more life than Elien still). If both Summoners have the same amount of wounds, the player whose Summoner has more REMAINING LIFE wins. If both are the same, the game is a draw (which is better than a loss but not as good as a win).

[Note - There is no official way to determine the winner of a Summoner Wars game that goes to time, so I'm sticking with this.]

For all Summoner Wars games, calculate your points as follows:

You kill the opposing summoner = you get 450 Points. You get no additional points for Commons / Champions / Walls, etc.

If you did not kill the opposing summoner:

Each opponent's common unit in either players' Magic or Discard pile = 10 Points
Each opponent's Wall in either players' Magic or Discard pile = 30 Points
Each opponent's Champion in either players' Magic or Discard pile = 50 Points

[I think this is a better way of calculating Points than wounds on opposing summoners, since the math will be far easier. It has no bearing on who wins the game, and it's only applicable for a loss / timed out game, so I don't think it's a big deal that building magic gives your opponent points. Ice Walls are not Walls for this purpose - they are Events, which don't give any Points. By the way, if you're trying to figure out how I came up with those totals... 18 Commons x 10 = 180. 3 Walls x 30 = 90. 3 Champions x50 = 150. 180+90+150 = 420. I didn't want a player to be able to get the full 450 Points without killing a summoner, so I thought this was fair.]

Here are the Heroscape maps:
Spoiler Alert!

Definites - 13

killercactus
southwest ninja
Sarah
Matt
lefton4ya
Shieldcrusher
Jordan
Heath
Josh
James +1
gamjuven
happyjosiah

Possibles - 2

Wookie +1

Interested - 3

phantazm21zero
MattserTruckRally
ManTrainChooChoo

lefton4ya November 29th, 2010 11:25 AM

Re: NE Ohio Heroscape / Summoner Wars Tournament?

I only played Summoner Wars a couple times one day (besides playing truth at the demo table at Origins:)) but i could go for this. Except maybe the armies you have for scape might be too restrictive - how about just general themed armies:

Phoenix Elves = at least 300 Points of Ullar
Tundra Orcs = at least 300 Points of [melee] Jandar
Guild Dwarves = at least 300 Points of Aquilla
Cave Goblins = at least 300 Points of D&D
Vanguards = at least 300 Points of Einar
Fallen Kingdom = at least 300 Points of Utgar/Vakrill
Jungle Elves = at least 300 Points of Large/Huge figures
Cloaks = at least 300 Points of Vydar
Mostly Mercenaries = Heroes only army

I do like somehow restricting 10th/4th which always dominate the Northeast ohio metagame (I play 10th 3/4 times myself). Assuming this is not draft but straight up pre-bought armies, but there are other formats that looked cool such as bringing 2 complete armies and having an opponent pick it, but with only 3 games I think the same army all day will be fine. As for Summoner wars, I better get some more practice in. Also I think we should at least wait till late January if not February or later. Good luck organizing this, and I can help a bit, but not as much as the time I put into the last tourney.

killercactus November 29th, 2010 12:01 PM

I really doubt I can organize it - at least not until April. I made a deal with my wife not to host another tournament before the end of the year, and once tax season starts I'll have to work every Saturday until April 15.

My birthday tournament this year is going to combine the Army Auction with the "bring 2 armies and play one" format, so I'm OK with pre-made armies for this one.

I think I'm OK with restrictive armies, too. It's only half-Heroscape after all, and I kind of like making the Scape army match the Summoner deck. Plus, remember that you have 150 Points of your army to play with if you want. From the preview truth just posted, it looks as though the Cloaks will be very Vydarish indeed, but they're human, so I think the restriction would be "at least 300 Points of Agents", which isn't nearly as bad as it seems.

There's a small chance I could do this in early January if there's some interest. It'd probably be a small event anyway (I'm thinking no more than 12 people are going to want to play).

WOOKIE November 29th, 2010 02:29 PM

I play both & I might be able to go. I'm waiting for the reinforcement packs to come so I can deck build.

killercactus December 2nd, 2010 02:01 PM

I'm going to talk to my wife about organizing this event on January 8th, though it's still by no means written in stone. I'll send some PMs out to those who I know play SW. How many of you could come to it? I'd like it to me no more than 12-14 players - kind of a nice, small gameday, but I still need to get the people first.

It would either happen at the Warren store, or possibly my house in Hubbard, OH. I think Warren will be closer for most people.

happyjosiah December 2nd, 2010 02:54 PM

I'd be up for this. Kind of reminds me of Chessboxing. :)

southwest ninja December 2nd, 2010 02:57 PM

Me and sarah could make it most likely, as well as her cousin. let bob know as they just got in their first game of summoner wars and seemed to like it.

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher December 2nd, 2010 03:45 PM

I don't have any Summoner Wars stuff yet. But who knows, I might by then.

killercactus December 2nd, 2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher (Post 1279948)
I don't have any Summoner Wars stuff yet. But who knows, I might by then.

I'll have at least one of every deck by then (maybe 2 of some for the extra commons), and at least the Elves v. Orcs reinforcement pack. As long as you don't want to play Fallen Kingdom / Undead, you could probably borrow from me. If phantazm comes, he might want my Elves, but that would be about it I'd think.

You should pick some stuff up, though. SW is awesome and pretty cheap, too.

gamjuven December 2nd, 2010 06:45 PM

I can make it. I have all the decks and probably will have some extras that people can play with. I should be getting some card sleeves soon for the decks so that will help.

There is a chance I could get a couple more people but I would need some more details about the tourney first.

If you need me to I can organize and host the tourney. I will need help in terms of map making and stuff, but I bet I can figure out the location/chairs/tables, etc.

But sounds good to me.

killercactus December 3rd, 2010 10:48 AM

I discussed this with the Boss, and she might be OK with it, but I need to find out from my work next week whether or not I'm going to San Francisco for a week in late January. If I am, I won't be able to do this. But if not, the prospect actually looks pretty good.

My map thread is linked below. I'd like to shoot for 6 maps for this event - one based on each Summoner Wars faction. In my thread, the maps I'll be using from it are:

Elien's Magma Cave (I'll need to borrow a VW set, but I think I can use phantazm's).

Grognack's Wasteland

Oldin's Hall

Eldwyn Forest

Unless I get to making a Cave Goblin map (Sneeks' Hideout) and a Fallen Kingdom map (Ret-Talus' Burial Grounds), I'll probably just find a dungeon map and a swamp map to use for them, respectively. I'm up for suggestions on those 2 maps. If we need a 7th map, a Jungle map for the much anticipated Jungle Elves seems in order.

lefton4ya December 3rd, 2010 01:48 PM

Maybe have this more on the westside and invite truth (you could even ask him his availability before picking a date). If we have enough people who would be willing to buy Summoner Wars there, maybe he can bring a bunch in his trunk to sell plus have us playtest/preview some new stuff. Wishful thinking, but it could happen, as he is only a couple hours away.