Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HoME Customs (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   The Workbook of Orc Deep Drummer - Playtesting(Fellowship A) (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=57517)

Chris Perkins June 12th, 2020 08:58 PM

The Workbook of Orc Deep Drummer - Playtesting(Fellowship A)

NAME = Orc Deep Drummer

GENERAL = UTGAR
SPECIES = Orc
UNIQUENESS = Common Hero
CLASS = Drummer
PERSONALITY = Fearsome
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/4

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 35

DRUMS IN THE DEEP
After revealing an Order Marker on Orc Deep Drummer and before moving, you may roll the 20-sided die.
* If you roll 1- 3, nothing happens.
* If you roll 3-10, you may move up to 4 unengaged Orc Squad figures you control 3 spaces each.
* If you roll 11-19, you may move up to 8 unengaged Orc Squad figures you control 3 spaces each.
* If you roll 20 or higher, move up to 12 unengaged Orc Squad figures you control 3 spaces each.

Doom, Boom
Anytime you roll the 20-sided die for an Orc Army Card, you may add 1 to your roll for each Orc Deep Drummer you control. Orc Deep Drummers are affected by Doom, Boom.

Character Bio
"We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the bridge and Second Hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there bravely while the rest retreated to the Chamber of…Mazarbul. We are still ho{ldin}g...but hope …Óin's party went five days ago but today only four returned. The pool is up to the wall at West-gate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin--we cannot get out. The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."
—Ori's last entry in the Book of Mazarbul

-RULINGS and CLARIFICATIONS-

* ORC SUPREMACY: Each War Drummer that you have in your Army will increase the potency of this ability. Each War Drummer will add 1 to the d20 rolls of Orcs that use a d20 power to include other War Drummers.

-COMBINATIONS and SYNERGIES-

Synergy Benefits Received
(Insert links to figures that benefit the unit, and short explanation of synergy)

Synergy Benefits Offered
(Insert links to figures that this unit benefits, and a short explanation of synergy)

-TENTATIVE FIGURE-
D&D Orc Wardrummer #56 (or #32)

Chris Perkins June 12th, 2020 08:59 PM

Re: The Workbook of Moria War Drummer - Design (Fellowship A

Previous Version History:

6/24/2020
Spoiler Alert!

7/10/2020
Spoiler Alert!

9/17/2020
Spoiler Alert!

caps June 18th, 2020 03:13 PM

War Drum seems like a really low payoff. I don't see a reason to ever put an OM on this guy instead of the orcs themselves. I would beef up the number of spaces and have the d20 vary from no figures moved, to 4, to 8, to possibly 12.

@Chris Perkins @Shiftrex

Shiftrex June 18th, 2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Perkins (Post 2397456)
Initial Design:

WAR DRUM
After revealing an Order Marker on Deep Drummer you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1- 3, nothing happens. If you roll 3-10, you may move up to 4 unengaged Orc squad figures 3 space each. If you roll 11-18, you may move up to 8 unegaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each. If you roll 19-20, you may move up to 12 unengaged Orc squad figures you control up to 3 spaces each.

ECHOING BEAT
Whenever an Orc that you control makes a 20-sided die roll they may add 1 to it.

How about this angle? Much more pay off, low chance of failure if you run multiple boosters. By the way, as written this guy boosts his own d20 roll.

Chris Perkins June 18th, 2020 03:46 PM

I like him moving that many orcs - gives a reason to include him.

Not sure that I like him boosting his own D20 - classic scape generally avoided that. If we're in agreement with that I can update the OP to say 'Echoing Beat' does not affect a Deep Drummer.

Would we want one Deep Drummer to improve another's roll? Say you include 2 of them, could they then increase the d20 by 1? That seems reasonable to me

Shiftrex June 18th, 2020 03:54 PM

I think them boosting eachother is totally fine and works with the idea of drums being "rchoed" by other drummers. Easily fixed by adding the word "other Orc" into the power.

I'm excited with this version of the power because you can see a literal swarm of Orcs charging in. Hits the Moria vibe well for me

caps June 18th, 2020 06:16 PM

We're on the same page here. Moving 12 figures is pretty unprecedented (Gilbert could do it with a 1-in-a-million roll) so lets set the target for that to 20.

caps June 18th, 2020 06:20 PM

Relevant here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by capsocrates (Post 2399435)
Before we go all gung-ho on boosting d20 powers of orc figures, we need to look at the Orc figures in Classic.

Off the top of my head there is Grimnak's CHOMP and Hrognak's TRAMPLE AND GORE. I think I want to avoid boosting those too much, to be honest. I could see an argument for changing the drummer to only affect common figures for this reason (the drummer should probably be a common hero).

I think the drummer should be common. No need to go Uncommon here.

Shiftrex June 18th, 2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Perkins (Post 2397456)
Initial Design:

NAME = Deep Drummer

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Hero
CLASS = War Drummer
PERSONALITY = Wild
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 3
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 1
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 75?

WAR DRUM
After revealing an Order Marker on Deep Drummer you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll 1- 3, nothing happens. If you roll 3-10, you may move up to 4 unengaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each. If you roll 11-19, you may move up to 8 unegaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each. If you roll 20, move up to 12 unengaged Orc squad figures 3 spaces each.

ECHOING BEAT
Whenever an other Orc that you control makes a 20-sided die roll they may add 1 to it.

I think those adjustments would bring us to something like this. Is our point value on? What do we see with this draft?

Chris Perkins June 18th, 2020 06:41 PM

Common heroes need to have only 1 life.

If common, I think 40 points is a good place to start testing at.

caps June 18th, 2020 06:42 PM

I would think 25 points

Chris Perkins June 18th, 2020 06:48 PM

Maybe 40 is a bit high, but I think this kind of board control is worth more than a single swog rider (25) is to arrow gruts.