Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Official Units (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Stinger Denial Poll (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=49244)

orgsbane August 28th, 2013 12:53 PM

Stinger Denial Poll

A age old topic that was recently revived: Stinger Denial. The debate that surrounds it isn't whether its legal or not, its about whether or not you should do it. So, I just thought it would be neat to get a poll of everyone's opinion. Would you do it?

GaryLASQ August 28th, 2013 01:02 PM

Re: Stinger Denial Poll

Your poll has some problems. It says Drain when it should say Denial. It says whatever when it should say whenever.

This poll should not just focus on Stingers. It should talk about any figure with a sculpt that significantly extends into an adjacent space.

orgsbane August 28th, 2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryLASQ (Post 1860191)
Your poll has some problems. It says Drain when it should say Denial. It says whatever when it should say whenever.

This poll should not just focus on Stingers. It should talk about any figure with a sculpt that significantly extends into an adjacent space.

I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic. You can bring the into the game, with the intention of using them to block engagement,

Actually, I meant to say whatever. BUT, yeah, the Stinger Drain is a mistake. I'm a terrible proof reader. I read things how they are supposed to be, not how they are :roll:

It's not possible to edit a poll, is it?

Aldin August 28th, 2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgsbane (Post 1860194)

Depends...

~Aldin, deniably

GaryLASQ August 28th, 2013 01:30 PM

Oops, my bad. "Whatever" is the better word. I'm also not the best proof reader. :)
I probably should not have posted so quickly.

Quote:

I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic.

This is untrue. They are not the only unit that can be used this way. What is a "true tactic"?
I will not vote in this poll because it irrationally singles out Stingers. :twisted:

Edit: Just kidding there is value in this poll. But let's not start another discussion here about it. The discussion (old and new) is over here. Let's try to keep it all in one place.

orgsbane August 28th, 2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldin (Post 1860202)
Quote:

Depends...

~Aldin, deniably

Very nice! Thanks!

SuperflyTNT August 28th, 2013 01:33 PM

Gary's right. Raelin's spike, Grimnak's tail, and other models can easily be used in this same manner.

orgsbane August 28th, 2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryLASQ (Post 1860205)
Oops, my bad. "Whatever" is the better word. I'm also not the best proof reader. :)
I probably should not have posted so quickly.

Quote:

I focused stingers, because for the most part, they are the only unit when using them in this manner is a true tactic.

This is untrue. They are not the only unit that can be used this way. What is a "true tactic"?
I will not vote in this poll because it irrationally singles out Stingers. :twisted:

Ok. So, someone doesn't draft Grimnak because of the off chance his tail might block someone. I mean that this is not a viable tactic for Grimnak. BUT, someone could indeed draft the Stingers because they can deny engagement.

GaryLASQ August 28th, 2013 01:39 PM

Let's please not start another discussion here about it. The discussion (old and new) is over here. Let's try to keep it all in one place.

dok August 28th, 2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think what he's trying to say is that there's less often anything to gain by keeping a figure from engaging the OP, since the OP is, after all, a melee unit. It's at most a very small tool at your disposal; you wouldn't draft the figure with that use in mind. Raelin would often like to keep figures from engaging her, but I've never really seen her spear be an effective denial tool. Granted, there are situations where you might want to limit movement using the OP's club (or choose which way to flip Grimnak/Nilfheim to limit other large/huge figures from engaging) but it's pretty situational.

Stingers, on the other hand, can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.

That said, I don't believe I've ever seen a stinger on level ground that was able to ward off most medium figures using stinger denial by itself. It's kind of hard. The only ways I've seen it be truly effective is if
  1. you put the stinger on low ground, and put the gun across a hex that is one level higher. This way you are actually getting in the way of the base of the figure, which is much harder to work around.
  2. You use multiple stingers to impinge on the same hex.

orgsbane August 28th, 2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 1860215)
Quote:

Quote:

I think what he's trying to say is that there's less often anything to gain by keeping a figure from engaging the OP, since the OP is, after all, a melee unit. It's at most a very small tool at your disposal; you wouldn't draft the figure with that use in mind. Raelin would often like to keep figures from engaging her, but I've never really seen her spear be an effective denial tool. Granted, there are situations where you might want to limit movement using the OP's club (or choose which way to flip Grimnak/Nilfheim to limit other large/huge figures from engaging) but it's pretty situational.

Stingers, on the other hand, can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.

That said, I don't believe I've ever seen a stinger on level ground that was able to ward off most medium figures using stinger denial by itself. It's kind of hard. The only ways I've seen it be truly effective is if
  1. you put the stinger on low ground, and put the gun across a hex that is one level higher. This way you are actually getting in the way of the base of the figure, which is much harder to work around.
  2. You use multiple stingers to impinge on the same hex.

Eloquently said. That's exactly what I mean!

GaryLASQ August 28th, 2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dok (Post 1860215)
Stingers can definitely be used to try to limit engagements if you so choose, and the advantage of that for a ranged squad is obvious. Plus, with multiple squads, you can set up a perimeter of extended guns. So the utility of the strategy is much higher.

I replied over here.