Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   Scapers Online (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Time For An Overhaul? (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=46427)

happyjosiah October 19th, 2012 01:15 PM

Time For An Overhaul?

Between the Onocara debacle (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=42295) and the Pickle debacle (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=42179) we are looking pretty bad as a trading community.

I've been saying this for a while, but it's really time to overhaul the forums here. It makes no sense to have a News forum for a dead game. Nor a Sightings and Sales subforum. Marvel News hasn't been relevant for a long time.

Most glaringly, we don't have a good trade system set up. We need a way to track "good traders" that is separate from general rep. As Onocara has demonstrated, you can be a great contributor and still be a really bad trader/seller.

Trading and second-hand selling is a huge part of the Heroscape community now. EVERYTHING we buy for this game is now secondhand. It would be ideal to have a forum devoted to trading instead of one giant thread. Each poster could have his own forsale/want thread, which would allow much easier searching for what is available than scrolling through a several hundred page thread. Even better would be a system where we could select available trade items from a list of all heroscape items and have the computer match us with people who have opposite wants.

The projects like C3V deserve their own forums. Trading and customization are what this site is all about now.

ibechief October 19th, 2012 01:47 PM

Re: Time For An Overhaul?

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyjosiah (Post 1698501)
Between the Onocara debacle (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=42295) and the Pickle debacle (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=42179) we are looking pretty bad as a trading community.

I've been saying this for a while, but it's really time to overhaul the forums here. It makes no sense to have a News forum for a dead game. Nor a Sightings and Sales subforum. Marvel News hasn't been relevant for a long time.

Most glaringly, we don't have a good trade system set up. We need a way to track "good traders" that is separate from general rep. As Onocara has demonstrated, you can be a great contributor and still be a really bad trader/seller.

Trading and second-hand selling is a huge part of the Heroscape community now. EVERYTHING we buy for this game is now secondhand. It would be ideal to have a forum devoted to trading instead of one giant thread. Each poster could have his own forsale/want thread, which would allow much easier searching for what is available than scrolling through a several hundred page thread. Even better would be a system where we could select available trade items from a list of all heroscape items and have the computer match us with people who have opposite wants.

The projects like C3V deserve their own forums. Trading and customization are what this site is all about now.

You might be better served linking this thread (if it is shown to receive popular support) within a new post in the site suggestion drop box.

Lord Pyre October 19th, 2012 02:17 PM

The admins have said in the past that this is not a trading site, and they wouldn't be responsible for any bad trades. I wouldn't hold my breath that they'd want to change the forums. :shrug:

happyjosiah October 19th, 2012 02:37 PM

Providing more options for feedback and communication would not make the site liable for bad trades. It's as simple as putting a disclaimer that this is the case.

MegaSilver October 19th, 2012 02:50 PM

There is already a "Good Traders" and "Bad Traders" thread, both created by Vydar, though hardly anyone posts in them anymore.

happyjosiah October 19th, 2012 02:58 PM

I didn't know that, but that would help the clutter in the trade thread for sure.

I'm a little bit surprised there is any resistance to this idea whatsoever. What about the suggestions I have made would make things worse, rather than better?

Garenex October 19th, 2012 03:17 PM

I would definitely be up for a better/easier/more secure way to do trades, at a reasonable price. Then again Ebay is the way to go for secure, since the site itself acts as a middleman (though obviously the price isn't always reasonable).

I can see how the admins here would not necessary want to get into the middle of trades, as they could get into liability issues. Disclaimers can help shield from those issues, but I've heard that they are not necessarily always enough. (Though it does seem ridiculous to even try to sue someone over heroscape).

Lord Pyre October 19th, 2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyjosiah (Post 1698565)
I didn't know that, but that would help the clutter in the trade thread for sure.

I'm a little bit surprised there is any resistance to this idea whatsoever. What about the suggestions I have made would make things worse, rather than better?

Nothing makes it worse, I'm just saying that truth never meant for this to be a trading site, and as such, the admins might not want to turn it into one. You have good suggestions, I'm just saying don't be too hopeful. :p

happyjosiah October 19th, 2012 03:22 PM

See in the case of the Pickle thread, the buyers were protected by Paypal disputing, myself included. That would be the way to go. BoardGameGeek has a trade feature and a huge userbase and I've never heard of anyone going after BGG itself.

Garenex October 19th, 2012 03:38 PM

I haven't used BGG at all (other then to look at few games), as I am not a member myself, I did not realize they had their own trade feature. That does increase my confidence in the ability for this website to safely run their own trade system (if they would even want to, which according to what others have said, does not seem likely).

Nobody November 4th, 2012 03:43 PM

Good afternoon,

I strongly agree with happyjosiah's assessment except for one very important thing:

Heroscape is not a "dead game"; Heroscape is life! =)

Having said that, I agree that while it 'works', the single trade thread is rather cumbersome to use.

For the last few days, I have been searching through the primary trade thread looking for people's trade lists so that I can help them out as well as fill in the gaps in my collection. However, it is particularly frustrating to search through, even with the handy dandy search function at the bottom (wading through 200ish pages for Gladiatrons and Zelrig is a bit much. Limiting the search helps, but still have to go through a lot of minor posts to find anything useful). Sure, most people have their lists in their signatures, but with the number of posts, it's tough keeping track of them all, and I waste a lot of time going through the same lists over and over again. It's amazing how often one person is looking for say, Venoc Vipers while another has two or three of them to offer, yet they don't seem to have made a trade.

I would like to propose another thread that indexes all active and up to date trade lists, consolidating them in one location akin to the ones for the Custom creators. The individual lists would still be located in the primary Trade thread, but would simply index where in the 985 pages other people's lists are so that they would be easier to find.

If it's a matter of time and effort, I'd be more than glad to do the initial grunt work. However, I don't know what the rules are regarding posting a link to other people's trade lists, namely, is this some breach of privacy or something? Should it be solely an opt-in thread? Details!

Hm, perhaps this goes in the site suggestions thread? Pardon me if it belongs somewhere else.

Just an idea!

MegaSilver November 4th, 2012 04:02 PM

You may not know, Nobody, that actually the last 5ish pages are actually the most up to date. All others before that are older and more likely out of date.

By the way, welcome to the site!