PDA

View Full Version : The Realm in SoCal

heroscaper2.0
March 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Anyone ever heard of this place? It is located in Brea,CA. I've been reading and they have plenty of events for M:TG and other stuff. I wanted to know if they allowed hs events there. Feedback would be apprecitated.

P.S. Looks like they have a member named, "Boom" isn't our "Boom" in socal also. hmmmm...... :ponder: :ponder:

Oogie_Da_Bruce
March 5th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I've been to The Realm plenty of times. Never for a Heroscape event.

They are mostly into CCG and Warhammer style games. They also have comics and other single purchase games. It's a nice enough place, but a bit small. There are only a couple small tables, and almost every time I've been there people are already playing.

I'm almost positive that it is our Boom, I think he got his copy of Battlelore there.

If your really looking for a good local place to play HS, Boom and I have set up at least 3 tourneys at Shuffle & Cut Games in La Mirada (about 10 mins from The Real) which used to be called Gems Games. There is ALOT more room there.

boom
March 5th, 2007, 05:52 PM
I be that boom :D .

The Realm is a cool store, nice gaming space and lots of mini games. I'm sure the owner would let us "throw down" there, but as Oogie said, Shuffle & Cut beats 'em in terms of gaming space. S&C doesn't have the nice selection of stuff that the Realm has, but can handle the crowd.

Oogie and I hope to set up something soon. Keep checking the events page.

heroscaper2.0
March 5th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Awesome! I pass by S&C all the time! Is battlelore the standard $70 there? I've been wanting to pick that up. I'm heading there on Friday to see the weekly M:TG tourney.

P.S. I was going to sign up in there forums and scream out: TAELORD cost too much! and listen to your response :D :wink:

boom
March 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
:lol: A little Heroscape smoking to see what comes out of the caves, huh? Shoulda tried it.

Yup, Battlelore is the MSRP $70 at the Realm. Don't know if they have it at S&C. You could always try to haggle with the owner, Max I believe.

heroscaper2.0
March 5th, 2007, 11:25 PM
:lol: A little Heroscape smoking to see what comes out of the caves, huh? :lol: :lol: I'm also pretty curious to see other games like Axis and Allies minis , Flames of War, etc. to see if its worth purchasing or not. Just curious, is BE or any other games by Mongoose Publishing purchasable there? I was hooked after seeing your thread on BE. :)

EDIT: Never mind, just saw their announcement. Woohoo! Time to get me some BE figures! :D

boom
March 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cool, let me know when you do.

Oogie_Da_Bruce
March 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM
:lol: A little Heroscape smoking to see what comes out of the caves, huh? :lol: :lol: I'm also pretty curious to see other games like Axis and Allies minis , Flames of War, etc. to see if its worth purchasing or not. Just curious, is BE or any other games by Mongoose Publishing purchasable there? I was hooked after seeing your thread on BE. :)

EDIT: Never mind, just saw their announcement. Woohoo! Time to get me some BE figures! :D

FYI - The best place to get any Collectable Mini Games is at Frank and Sons Collectable Show in City of Industry, every Wed & Sat:

www.fs-collectibles.com/

Boom and I used to go all the time and pick up Dreamblade and A&A Minis for 35 to 50% off. Not to mention it's a nerds paradise. Comics, action figures, sports and movie memorabilia, games, swords, hotwheels, airsoft, horror, posters, barbie, disney, etc.

There is a guy named Phil who has tons of stuff for nearly half in aisle 500, IIRC.

I'll PM you, so next time we get something together we'll definately fill you in.

JoeKinski
March 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
FYI - The best place to get any Collectable Mini Games is at Frank and Sons Collectable Show in City of Industry, every Wed & Sat:

www.fs-collectibles.com/

Boom and I used to go all the time and pick up Dreamblade and A&A Minis for 35 to 50% off. Not to mention it's a nerds paradise. Comics, action figures, sports and movie memorabilia, games, swords, hotwheels, airsoft, horror, posters, barbie, disney, etc.

There is a guy named Phil who has tons of stuff for nearly half in aisle 500, IIRC.

I'll PM you, so next time we get something together we'll definately fill you in.

Not to mention the awesome lucha libre swag you can get there. 8)

Let me know too the next time you go ... my daughter and I love to go there. I only wish they opened earlier on Wednesday ... I'm only like 10 minutes away at work ... and lunching there would be the best. Grr....

nbxfan
March 6th, 2007, 03:05 PM

www.fs-collectibles.com/

Just went to Frank & Sons for the first time this past saturday. It was amazing, like sensory overload. Mainly went to see Nightmare stuff but have to check out the mini game stuffs. There is another store on Beach & Ball called Len & Kathy's Collectibles that we go to at least once a month. They aren't a "gaming" store in any respects but, they do carry toys both new/old and vintage. They are set up like a dealers room except instead of people the merchandise is behind locked glass cabinets and you have to get someone to open them if you are interested in stuff so they are open every day. got2haveit.com

Oogie_Da_Bruce
March 6th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hmmm....

Maybe the SoCal league will grow by 3??? or more???
-nbxfan
-JoeKinski
-heroscaper2.0

Pic from last tourney at Shuffle and Cut
- Boom (far left) Oogie (far right)
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10006/DSC08587.JPG

heroscaper2.0
March 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM

www.fs-collectibles.com/

That place sounds awesome! Thanks for the info. :D

heroscaper2.0
March 6th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Great news! I just e-mailed the owner of the store and he said that we should be expecting some hs items to come in! :D

allskulls
March 6th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Great news! I just e-mailed the owner of the store and he said that we should be expecting some hs items to come in! :D
Do you mean HS at Frank n Sons? That would be killer...and maybe those Magic players will loan a couple of tables to play on. I was at FS a couple of weeks ago...every geek in SoCal should know about it :D

heroscaper2.0
March 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Oh sorry, I meant The Realm. :oops:

nbxfan
March 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Where is The Realm and, is it mainly or just a card game store? Most of the game stores I knew of have basically closed. The one we use to go to the most Game Castle in Fullerton has long since gone. I found the Shuffle & Cut online but, haven't played card based games since the early nineties though I stil have all my old MTG cards...

edit: Also, I guess I should have asked as to how we find out about gatherings etc, to play at...the So Cal League?

Oogie_Da_Bruce
March 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM
http://therealmgames.com/

http://www.shuffleandcut.com/
(La Mirada)

As for knowing what's coming up, just keep checking the Events section. I talked to Boom yesterday and we think we're going to do a Meet and Greet/Open Gaming session at S&C next month. Unless someone plans somthing else first.

nbxfan
March 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks...will have to check The Realm out Friday or Saturday.

heroscaper2.0
March 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I'm really excited to go to. I can't wait to get my hands on some BE figures.

Heading there Friday btw.

JoeKinski
March 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I just realized I have not been in an actual gaming store since 1990. Talk about feeling old all of the sudden... :shock:

:wink:

heroscaper2.0
March 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
I just realized I have not been in an actual gaming store since 1990. Talk about feeling old all of the sudden... :shock:

:wink: :lol: :lol: Well this is my first time going to a game store in... well this is my first time. :)

BIGJIM
March 16th, 2007, 06:04 AM
WAIT ! DID I HEAR ABOUT A GAME NEXT MONTH [ APRIL ] AT S & C ?
PLEASE MORE DETAILS SO I CAN SET TIME ASIDE FOR THIS MOST IMPORTANT EVENT . :banana:

TO ADD A NOTE ! WE SEEM TO BE AT THAT POINT AGAIN THAT MY TYPING IN UPPER CASE LETTERING SEEN TO BOTHER PEOPLE. LET ME SAY ONE THING ..... DEAL WITH IT ! :twisted:

hextr1p
March 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I talked to Boom yesterday and we think we're going to do a Meet and Greet/Open Gaming session at S&C next month. Unless someone plans somthing else first.
I might even think about making a trip down south if this happens... :D

Wilkerson74
March 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
hooway! talk of a so cal get together.....Ill be watching......

Oogie_Da_Bruce
March 16th, 2007, 06:47 PM
FYI - I'll be popping on by the Realm today @ 6:30pm for an hour or so. Boom's gonna be showing me Battlefield Evolution.

ODB

boom
March 16th, 2007, 07:05 PM
LET ME SAY ONE THING ..... DEAL WITH IT ! :twisted:

I didn't say anything. :help:

And yes, we gotta get something going next month at the latest. Hex and Wilk, hope you guys come down. BIGJIM, I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED! 8)

boom
March 16th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Boom's gonna be showing me Battlefield Evolution.

More like we'll be learnin' together :shock: .

BIGJIM
March 17th, 2007, 03:47 AM
IT'S 1:00AM AT WORK AND BRAIN DEAD. MY ONLY REASON TO CARRY ON IS TO HEAR WHAT HAPPEN WITH NEW GAME. TALKED WITH OOGIE AND BOOM AND WANT TO HEAR ALL THAT HAPPEN ! DARN !!! MY CAPS KEY IS STILL BROKEN. THE HUMANITY OF IT ALL :bang:

heroscaper2.0
March 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
FYI - I'll be popping on by the Realm today @ 6:30pm for an hour or so. Boom's gonna be showing me Battlefield Evolution.

ODB Darnit!!! I was just going to show up there at the exact same time for some FNM yesterday. Had I known you guys were going to be there, I wouldn't have stayed home watching TV!!! Anyways, did you manage to pick up some BE, Oogie?

feekonea
March 17th, 2007, 06:35 PM
if I can make a suggestion to the tourny, Id have a better chance to go later in the month than earlier, because of my soccer teams state cup tournament. This happened to me last year, on HQ, where we made it to the 2nd round and I was not able to go to the tourny. Thanks.

JuicerGM
March 18th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Okay Here is what I got. I know that a Meet and Greet might be in the works but I was almost thinking of a tournament. Location would be in Clairemont CA (a little north of Pomona Fairgrounds as a locator). A gaming store called Gameology. They have a location on the web here (http://www.gameologyshop.com/).

The person I talked to said that reservation of space (they had enough for 7 boards, or even more if we sqeeze together on the long tables) was only $2 per person. I figure with $5 in for prizes too that would be $7 a person. We are near quite a few food places there also for those that need that.

I am going to ask about some other things but I wanted to start with this idea. It would most likely be April 21st. (the first good day for me)

What do you all think?

hextr1p
March 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM
What do you all think?
April is open for me (at least as I type this), so I'll will do my best to make work whatever is planned so long as there is a decent turn out.

However, Oog mentioned in a previous post in this thread that he and Boom were trying to put something together for April. Not to say that there can't be two events planned during the same month. But it would be nice if the two event dates were spaced out enough so they didn't conflict with each other that way.

Wilkerson74
March 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
Im good for any weekend barring a holiday event and plenty of notice. Time to dust off the dice!