PDA

View Full Version : 'ScapeTalk - Craig Talks Heroscape

truth
February 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
This be the place for discussing Craig's Podcast Interview

And remember all good heroscapers stay tuned until after the music.

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_cv1.jpg

ninthdoc
February 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Admit it, you had to take that out of your wallet and scan it in. Didn't you?

Grungebob
February 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
WooHoo!! Great podcast!! Many exciting things in store!!

GaryLASQ
February 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
a new master set. wow. i'm very interested in seeing what the rulebook in this release will look like...not to mention the terrain. i wonder if that Marro Swarm will be coming to Earth...

Stealth Dodge
February 1st, 2007, 11:57 PM
Anyone wnat to post a summary for those who can't downlaod it

Grungebob
February 1st, 2007, 11:59 PM
New Master set!! New Terrain!!

ChaosChild
February 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Speaking of the "shelf". Interesting picture of the Heroscape room (I mean Craig) you have there. What are the figures in the pile to the right of the shades. They don't look like anything that has been released yet.

Stealth Dodge
February 2nd, 2007, 12:03 AM
Hopefully they slow donw on terrain releases and pump out many more large, anti-squad heroes

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 12:05 AM
"I interview Criag"

Fix the text before Craig notices! :lol:

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:11 AM
i like the way he addresses the "luck factor".

the "let the sculpt inspire us" comment was awesome. (hmm..."our sculptor"...so there's only one...;) )

his answer to the WOTC question sounded like it was prepared ahead of time. so that's a good sign.

truth
February 2nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
"I interview Criag"

Really I know how to spell it... it was spelled right every where else. Craig I have failed you! *falls on his sword*

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
So much great information: He reads the boards, gives props to virtualscape, new master set which is called Swarm of the Marro and includes his favorite terrain (marro hives anyone?), and the running joke at his office is that Taelord costs too much! I loved it.

jdtenor
February 2nd, 2007, 12:26 AM
YEAH new masterset :popcorn:

truth
February 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
Really there is no putting it into a nutshell. If you can't download it find a way. Its not just information its entertainment... that will never come through if you don't listen.

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM
if they managed to work in some type of tile that can create a dome like igloo structure for a Marro Hive then that would rock. but working this into game mechanics and trying to show how to build it in 2D could be a real challenge. all just speculation on my part of course since he didn't give any specifics about the terrain in the new master set...

Jormi_Boced
February 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Excellent work sir!!!

I am excited for the future:)

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
for the artistic members on the site there are two images/drawings that must be done.

penguins with machine guns

and

Drake eating a bowl of Cocoa Krispies

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 12:38 AM
"I interview Criag"

Really I know how to spell it... it was spelled right every where else. Craig I have failed you! *falls on his sword*

:lol:

It was the Penguins with Machine Guns!!!!!!!

That interview was a blast. You sounded positively giddy during that one.

Swarm of the Marro! Man, I know some people don't dig the Marro, but I think they are one of the coolest things about HS. A set populated with those sounds amazing. As if we were not excited enough about Toy Fair around here.

ChilliDog
February 2nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Truth, you're a very lucky guy!
And I noticed the Criag as well :D
I can't wait for the new releases, Swarm of the Marro! :excited:
And Penguins with machine guns!
I'm glad the WOC issue was brought up as well.

All in all it was another great podcast!

Hotdog...wtf? :lol:

player_of_volleyball
February 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM
sweet podcast truth. this will be a good year for heroscape. i cant wait to see that new masterset. i have a marro army going on, and that master set should make things all the better for it. :twisted:

Codeman
February 2nd, 2007, 12:47 AM
Truth, Great interview....I hope you continue your good work for all of us to enjoy. Next I suppose we will see you on 60 minutes grilling heads of state.

insomnimaniac
February 2nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
Great insight. I understand the reasons one would say "no comment," but AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH it just adds to the anticipation. :frustrated: Love the future of all this.

Dennys
February 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Is there a Download of the cast yet?

Stealth Dodge
February 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Is it safe to assume that the new Master Set will be All Uniques as well?

LilNewbie
February 2nd, 2007, 12:57 AM
So much great information: He reads the boards, gives props to virtualscape, new master set which is called Swarm of the Marro and includes his favorite terrain (marro hives anyone?), and the running joke at his office is that Taelord costs too much! I loved it.

I thought it was The Smarmy Marro? Just kidding. Great job, Truth. Thanks for the time, Craig!

Newb.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM
AWESOME PODCAST!

New Master set!
Note the set will have new classic heroes - see?!?
That Sgt. Drake with the improved Grapple Gun in that video!. I thought they might have a re-do of Sgt. Drake (or at least a brother/relative) - sounds like they might!

Swarm of the Marro!
:drool:
It's gotta have Marro terrain!
I knew it!!! This was my prediction for last gencon's unveiling.

Bios will be coming!

Ah Truth, great podcast.
Thank you Truth and Craig!

skyknight
February 2nd, 2007, 01:12 AM
Dude I have been asking this Masterset question for almost a year now. I have asked Hasbro I have asked others to ask Craig for me and nothing. Then I ask you to ask and Wham!!! You got me just the answer I wanted to hear. Thank you very much Truth and I appreciate it very much. Kudos to you brother. :P

ZODGILLA!
February 2nd, 2007, 01:13 AM
So much great information: He reads the boards, gives props to virtualscape, new master set which is called Swarm of the Marro and includes his favorite terrain (marro hives anyone?), and the running joke at his office is that Taelord costs too much! I loved it.Noodles nailed it!

Great job, Truth, and thank you! That must have been a unique experience.
It is hopeful to know that you got a maybe/partial commitment on future podcasts with Craig and other team members.

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
New Master set!
That Sgt. Drake with the improved Grapple Gun in that video!. I thought they might have a re-do of Sgt. Drake (or at least a brother/relative) - sounds like they might!i could be wrong, but when Craig says "new classic" i think he means new (totally new) figures that are classic Heroscape...as in not licensed figures like Marvel. something tells me they are already well into working on a Star Wars version...again just me speculating...

TheMainMan
February 2nd, 2007, 01:20 AM
I love how excited Truth got in the begining when Craig mentioned he worked on some Power Puff Girl Games.

Nice job man. Very intersting.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 01:23 AM
New Master set!
That Sgt. Drake with the improved Grapple Gun in that video!. I thought they might have a re-do of Sgt. Drake (or at least a brother/relative) - sounds like they might!i could be wrong, but when Craig says "new classic" i think he means new (totally new) figures that are classic Heroscape...as in not licensed figures like Marvel.
I didn't get that impression at all.

"it will have all new figures. We are looking at some new classic heroes that we might continue a little bit."
Sounds like they might update some of the classic heroes. Guess we'll wait and see.

Dennys
February 2nd, 2007, 01:24 AM
The Hulk vs 21 Romans....

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM
"it will have all new figures. We are looking at some new classic heroes that we might continue a little bit."hmm..."continue"... you could be right then. this could very well mean some updates/enhancements to a few older figures. i'd be happy to see an 80 point Taelord with normal flying. :)

Sweetcurse
February 2nd, 2007, 01:40 AM
I just became "scary heroscaper" to my wife. She walked in on me in the PC room listening to a HS podcast in the middle of the night. Just in case she had any doubt I was geek I guess. Her face was priceless: "What are you doing there in the dark?" The interview was worth it though. I almost screamed "don't look at me, don't look at me" when she walked in on me...

Venom
February 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
Speaking of the "shelf". Interesting picture of the Heroscape room (I mean Craig) you have there. What are the figures in the pile to the right of the shades. They don't look like anything that has been released yet.

the red ones huh? good eye.

the marro in thormun's journal is in the new master set. 8)

Homba
February 2nd, 2007, 02:44 AM
Thanks Truth & Craig.

Doc_Savage
February 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Another nice interview and it seems he has heard the other podcasts...

He reads the threads...

Swarm of the Marro... Toyfair should have some pics of that... Maybe Wave 7 also...

Hired some writers for the bios...

Marvel in June or July...

BAH to those who doubt the power of the 'Scape...

Great work Truth! Try to get him every 6 months...

Dragon4201976
February 2nd, 2007, 03:08 AM
It's good to hear that heroscape is doing well, and a new master set is awesome, can't wait to see what all the new and different scape stuff comes out in the next few years thank god I have a god Job........

Aldin
February 2nd, 2007, 05:22 AM
eXcellent interview!

I'm excited about the prospect of a new Master Set with new terrain and new heroes. Also simply pleased to hear how much he is enjoying the process of creating HS - it means burnout is not impending. A little disappointed about the delayed MarvelScape - what's ninthdoc gonna do at gencon?

~Aldin, who also wonders what the heck that hot dog question was doing in there

netherspirit
February 2nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Great stuff.

Thanks for putting together an awesome podcast Truth.

Thanks for taking the time to be on the podcast Craig.

Hahnarama
February 2nd, 2007, 08:10 AM

No Comment.

countblah
February 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM
I just became "scary heroscaper" to my wife. She walked in on me in the PC room listening to a HS podcast in the middle of the night. Just in case she had any doubt I was geek I guess. Her face was priceless: "What are you doing there in the dark?" The interview was worth it though. I almost screamed "don't look at me, don't look at me" when she walked in on me...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who snuck out of bed in the middle of the night to tune into scapetalk. We're a bunch of nerds.

edit: was anyone else happy to see the work that Craig and co. did on making the marvelscape heroes have powers that are context sensitive? Honestly, that was a large part of my beef with the game when I heard that it was coming out, that heroes have amazing powers, etc, but defeat one another in context sensitive ways.

That's an awesome decision, and one that should play remarkably well.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
"it will have all new figures. We are looking at some new classic heroes that we might continue a little bit."hmm..."continue"... you could be right then. this could very well mean some updates/enhancements to a few older figures. i'd be happy to see an 80 point Taelord with normal flying. :)

I think it would be excellent if they updated Drake with an improved Grapple Gun. A gun that did a just a bit more. Perhaps running while utilizing it to 'fly' up somewhere.
Every other character in the webisode looked the same except Alexander. Why?

Now I'm wondering if Q10 be in the new master set or Wave 6.5 or 7...

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 09:10 AM
it could easily fit in with the story. the characters develop and evolve and more importantly share technology and tactics with each other from the worlds they came from.

Uprising
February 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Great thing to wake up too!!!! Thanks Truth :up:

netherspirit
February 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM

I think it would be excellent if they updated Drake with an improved Grapple Gun. A gun that did a just a bit more. Perhaps running while utilizing it to 'fly' up somewhere.
Every other character in the webisode looked the same except Alexander. Why?

Now I'm wondering if Q10 be in the new master set or Wave 6.5 or 7...

I'm not so sure I would like it if they "revamped" the MS figures. I hope its all new figures. If they start redoing all the figures it could turn into a Warhammer-esque game where all the old stuff becomes obsolete because there are newer revamped versions.

No sir, I don't like that idea one bit.

Here's to hoping for all new figures in the new MS. :toast:

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I have to agree with Nether. I would rather see all new figures and not improved older ones. HOWEVER, I would like to have new cards somehow available when errata comes out. ie: a new Taelord card with Steath Flying.

Ketch
February 2nd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Hahah!
My favourite part...
Right after Truth asked about the Marro Giant, Craig laughs like he has no idea what to say.

Then just tells Truth about the Swarm of the Marro
I bet he wasn't planning on telling us :P

Then, after that Truth seemed so giddy, you could hear it in his voice.

CupidsArt
February 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Honestly I wouldn't mind some new figure sculpts for old classics. If they do make new sculpts for a few of them it'll more than likely be what we are seeing in the new webisodes. It looks like a Marro invasion storyline to me. If this turns out to be true, then the re-vamped sculpts may be Drake, Realin, Mimring and Ne-Gok-Sa.

My 2 cents.

Of course I will say one more thing, that cast really makes me want to sculpt a killer Penguin Hero with a Machine Gun, :twisted:

Cavalier
February 2nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Giddy. That best describes the feeling after listening to the interview.

Swarm of the Marro :shock: :banana:

Taelord
February 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm so sad. I can't download it. :evil:

Draconious
February 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Maybe they will replace DW9K with Q10 ;)

Jormi_Boced
February 2nd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Yeah, my wife came in and asked if I was ever going to come to bed too:)

ej
February 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I echo the sentiment about obsoleteness. All figures produced for the game should remain playable throughout the life of the game. We don't want the MtG situation where we're expected to only use the last three sets of expansions and only the latest MS figures, right?

I loved MtG, but in hindsight I see it for the money-grabbing scheme that it is.

Cavalier
February 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Add my name to the list hoping for no retreads of existing characters.

skyknight
February 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
Well I have been shooting my mouth off about that new Masterset for so long I guess I will have to put my money where my mouth is now. This was the direction I had been hoping for. As for Marvelscape...well delaying that stinker is not so bad in my book :wink: I cannot wait for this new Masterset to come out...I just got to thinkin though this means Hasbro will most likely be into me for another 500

Jormi_Boced
February 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't mind new versions of older characters, as long as they fulfill a different niche and don't encourage power creep.

I think it would be fine if they made a new Drake, and they could even make him more powerful to show how he is growing and learning new things, but they would need to increase his point cost accordingly. This way, you will see people playing with the old Drake and the new Drake. If they make him the same point cost but give him an extra move attack defense and a new special power, then there is a problem.

Finrod
February 2nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Who's this "EEnar" that Truth keeps talking about? :)

Seriously, great job, Truth. And thanks, Craig, for all you were able to share.

Swarm of the Marro sounds great... except for the fact that means Utgar will be getting ANOTHER boost. Where's the Jandar love?? :(

The Penguins with Machine Guns will probably cost too much...

Agent Minivann
February 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
Great Podcast, Truth!

No Comment.

Find a way to download it, everyone. It is worth it. It only took about 90 minutes on craptacular dial-up. I'm very pleased that I did.

I wouldn't mind new versions of older characters, as long as they fulfill a different niche and don't encourage power creep.

I think it would be fine if they made a new Drake, and they could even make him more powerful to show how he is growing and learning new things, but they would need to increase his point cost accordingly. This way, you will see people playing with the old Drake and the new Drake. If they make him the same point cost but give him an extra move attack defense and a new special power, then there is a problem.

I wouldn't mind new versions of the classics as well. There could be a 150 point version of Agent Carr with new specials in the new one, or you could always draft the original. Not replacements, but alternates. Fits with the theme of keeping options open that Craig mentioned.

My personal favorite was Truth's "Your Mamma's fat, and Taelord costs too much".

gamjuven
February 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
yea, no replacing older figs. i hate it when games do that. great fun tho, altho i wish i could actually hear it for myself. Any knowledge of when we'll find out more stuff?

yagyuninja
February 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
I just about flipped out at the Swarm of the Marro announcement. :excited: 30 new figures and new terrain all at once!

And Truth, that was a great interview! You are a fantastic spokesperson for this community...I could hear every bit of my own excitement coming through in your voice. :)

"Your mama's fat, and Taelord costs too much!" :lol:

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 10:44 AM
I'm not so hot on retreading classic heroes either.
But come on, if anyone could use an update it's Drake. The Grapple Gun would be soooo much better if he could go up AND down. Or like the video shows, he can run and utilize the thing like Tarzan does with a creeper vine.

My only concern if they do update Drake is the original's sculpt.
It's gotta be one of the best single-base hero sculpts in the game.
I'd hate to see it messed with.

Concerning redoing the classic heroes - did anyone get this same impression from the interview as me? Or am I interpreting it wrong?

funrun
February 2nd, 2007, 10:45 AM
He reads the threads...

Swarm of the Marro... Toyfair should have some pics of that... Maybe Wave 7 also...

Hired some writers for the bios...

Marvel in June or July...

BAH to those who doubt the power of the 'Scape...
Good summary list above, but one more important point:

They're thinking about giving other HS team members their own 'ScapeTalk interviews: Rob Daviau, marketing guy, graphic designer, etc. I also hope Steven Baker is on the list of hopefuls since Craig spent some time talking about his influence on the original concept of HS. Sounds like a good group of potential future SpaceTalk episodes!

Congrats to truth and Craig.

Loved the hot dog question! LOL.

I am not excited by the idea of enhanced MS powers on repainted figs for all the reasons others have mentioned above plus: :yawn:—with "600 sketches of sculpt ideas" and a "binder full of power ideas" why is there so much emphasis on how to recreate old figs? Let's keep those efforts to only a few "main" figures and give them completely different alter ego powers and totally different repaint colors, ala Sir Hawthorne.

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
They're thinking about giving other HS team members their own 'ScapeTalk interviews: Rob Daviau, marketing guy, graphic designer, etc. I also hope Steven Baker is on the list of hopefuls since Craig spent some time talking about his influence on the original concept of HS. Sounds like a good group of potential future SpaceTalk episodes!

I hope Rob gets interviewed at some point. Then we can hear about all of the ribbing he took (and probably still takes) for, "Hot lava death!" :twisted:

I think the guys have always pointed out how important Baker's work on HS was, so it would be great to hear from him as well.

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
I am not excited by the idea of enhanced MS powers on repainted figs for all the reasons others have mentioned above plus: :yawn:—with "600 sketches of sculpt ideas" and a "binder full of power ideas" why is there so much emphasis on how to recreate old figs? Let's keep those efforts to only a few "main" figures and give them completely different alter ego powers and totally different repaint colors, ala Sir Hawthorne.

Agreed but please no more repaints. Can we just get a new sculpt with new powers? Old figures don't need to be messed with.

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Summary forthcoming....give me a few minutes....

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
The interview started with Craig talking about his background....he went to art school in Philly and then he was doing some freelance work and substitute teaching when he got a job with Hasbro.

He talked about his early work at Hasbro including the Avalon Hill stuff (Risk 2210, Stratego Legends, etc.). He also mentioned working on various Power Puff Girls games, a Pokemon game, and Star Wars Epic Duels.

truth then asked about Heroscape as a job and how far back work on Scape had gone. The meat of Craig's answer was that going back to 1995-96 he had wanted to put together a miniatures game for the mass market. He talked about Stephen Baker's work on HeroQuest and BattleMasters inspiring the game mechanics. He also said that the Basic game was for the 8 to 10 year olds...and the Master rules were for kids 10, 11, 12, and much older.

He talked about unit design. He mentioned that they have free flowing discussions about what to add to the game. They talk to the sculptors who them give them sketches and they decide what is viable from there. He mentioned that he has over 600 such sketches! :shock: Here's hoping they all get made. :)

He then talked about how unit design worked hand in hand with wave design. They apparently have a giant binder filled with abilities and powers. When they get the sculpts they look at those and assign some abilities. Then they look at what else is included in the wave and assign abilities accordingly as well.

When asked how well HeroScape was doing Craig said that since Hasbro is a publicly traded company he couldn't give us hard numbers. He said that anytime offerings are increasing though that is a good sign of how well things are going. He said that 2007 would be a year with a lot of new offerings....he then specifically mentioned Marvelscape

more in a moment....

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
They apparently have a giant binder filled with abilities and powers.that is kept in a vault that only two people have a key for. :)

it certainly would be fun to read through this binder...

jbbnbsmith
February 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
Wow. Just when I think I may be able to walk away from more purchases and just be happy playing HS with what i have....Swarm of the Marro!!!!

A new master set with all new figures, and new terrain. Oh man, is there no end to the madness?! there goes another $40 to $80 bucks.

Very entertaining interview on a number of levels. Great information, some funny stories, and the aforementioned "giddiness". I liked the story about the kid who asked how many master sets it took to build the map at the convention:
Craig: "About 20."
Kid: "Hey Dad, we only need two more!"

And the post-show Taelord discussion was priceless. (get it...costs too much, priceless...sigh)

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 11:23 AM
continued....

Craig then dropped the biggest bomb of the interview. He revealed that there would be a new Master Set released this year. :) He said it will be called "Swarm of the Marro". It will include all new terrain. It will include all new figures. Some of the figures included may be classic characters revisited. He also said "No Comment" about the giant Marro from Thormun's Journal.

When asked if Hasbro was pushing things in a "generals-centric" way he said no necessarily. He seemed to like what the Flagbearers did to the game though so he wouldn't rule out more general-centric themes in the future.

When asked about Pirates he said they were looking at them. He also specifically mentioned kobolds, miners, goblins, wizards, an Einar Dragon, skeletons, golems....and I kid you not....penguins with machine guns. He did laugh after saying that last one though. :P

Regarding terrain enhancers and line of sight blockers...he seemed a little less than committed for 2007. He mentioned the Castles as being pretty good LOS blockers.

Craig said there will definitely be a nice booth at the 2007 Toy Fair this month in NYC. He jokingly said that he hopes we get better pictures than last year's infamous "Shelf" picture. Judging from his sense of humor about it I think he'll make sure we get one.

Then he lauched into the issues about the Official Site. Some of the things mentioned...

They are moving resources away from the Battlefield Builder. He gave a nod to Virtualscape and said that since the community had provided it they were putting their efforts into product.

He said that the Bio's should all be updated soon. They have hired some writers and things are moving again on this.

He said that the new look to Thormun's Journal allows for searches. That's something they want to do on the Official Site. He also said more updates to the Journal will be forthcoming.

Also more official scenarios should be coming to the Official Site.

more in a moment...

Sweetcurse
February 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Having a few of the classic heroes remade is a good idea. It helps ground the mythology of the game and focus our feelings to a core few heroes. I'm sure that new versions will not mess with the old ones. I'm hoping for a Drake without helmet. If they do make them more powerful, they will cost more, and that will balance it. I like having a few main heroes to latch onto emotionally, Drake, Raelin, Ne-gok-sa and a few others are good candidates.

Firemaster
February 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
That new MS looks like it will be a good one. I wonder what other figures will be in it aside from Marros. I will probably push any other planned purchases I have when it comes out so that I can buy it.

The only other thing I was wondering was if making a new MS was a planned desicion or if he decided to make it after hearing how much we wanted one.

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I really want to know if we're going to get official scenarios that need more than 1 MS. That question needs to be asked at some point.

damja
February 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
I can just see it now (because I might just do it when I see it happen)...one of the "USE SEARCH" people are going to go off on a newbie and I'm going to reply "And Taelord costs too much!"

Friggin' hilarious.

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
continued...

Craig said that official Tourney rules and support is not in the near future. I kind of felt like they viewed the regional tournies in the same light as Virtualscape - that the community was handling it. Oh well.

Then the topics went into the realm of Marvelscape...

He said that it should ship this summer....early summer specifically.

While they recommend Marvelscape as a stand alone game, it could certainly be mixed. He jokingly mentioned having the Hulk take on 30 Romans.

Hasbro is looking at the possibility of Marvelscape Expansions.

The glyphs will be different in their mechanics than HeroScape glyphs. He said this will allow for more "Super hero type of actions".

Craig also said that they are exploring other licenses as well. He was not specific about this at all.

One of the last things discussed was the frank question of whether or not we should trust Wizards of the Coast's customer service when it came to rulings for Heroscape. Craig admitted that there was a bit of a "bumpy start", but that had been resolved and he said that things were better and we should trust them.

Then truth launched into a lightning round of questions. The highlights (and only things relating to Scape) were that Craig's favorite memories of this whole ride are meeting fans at the Cons and getting feedback. He also said that he most identifies with Sgt. Drake.

And as a last tid bit Craig said that he would check into getting other Hasbro employees to submit to the Podcast treatment.

Cheers to truth and Craig. Thanks for all the info. 8)

netherspirit
February 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Markwars, you forgot to mention that if Craig were a hotdog, he would in fact NOT eat himself.

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't mind new versions of the classics as well. There could be a 150 point version of Agent Carr with new specials in the new one, or you could always draft the original. Not replacements, but alternates. Fits with the theme of keeping options open that Craig mentioned.this is a good attitude to take on this...

i'm not real thrilled with reworked figures/cards, but if done well it might not be too bad for some of the key characters in the backstory; as long as it is not overdone.

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Trust them fellas. They aren't going to fumble the ball at this point in the game.

And sorry nether....I was trying to remove that question from my memory banks.

ej
February 2nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
I just don't want the Heroclix mess of lots of variations on the same character. However, if there's a new Master Set only once ever 3 or 4 years, that probably won't be such a big problem.

Eclipse
February 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Totally forgot about this... need to go listen to it immediately....

In any case, Marro Swarm?!?!!! Awesome :D

I'm really excited to see more on this new terrain. I expect if its truly a new Masterset, then its going to be a new "starting point" for the series, not so much replacing the original, but being the game's Chapter 2. With that in mind, I'm curious what the "revisted classic characters" means exactly.

Since it IS a Masterset, it could very easily be the starting point for new players. With that in mind, the revisted characters could be completely unchanged, but simply included in the package to ensure new players get some of the characters absolutely necessary to the Mythos (Drake, Raelin, NeGokSa, etc). They might just give them new sculpts or updated designs (like the new Webisode Drake we've been seeing) and keep the same stats or not even update the sculpt for that matter.

In any case, it sounds like an exciting year for Heroscape!

P.S. Is the Hulk worth 375 points?

deadeyedan42
February 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
That has to be the funniest podcast let! :lol:

"Question 11, why does taelord cost too much?"

"He doesn't cost too much.....:headshake:"

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM

I'm really excited to see more on this new terrain. I expect if its truly a new Masterset, then its going to be a new "starting point" for the series, not so much replacing the original, but being the game's Chapter 2.here's my guess...

the Marro Swarm will be an Earth invasion. the new terrain will include buildings like what we've seen in the Marvelscape pics. this way someone who buys MarvelScape can use the terrain with maps for the classic game and have it tie in with the storyline from the classic game. the figures in Marvelscape would not tie into the storyline of classic HS however.

TehFattestNinja
February 2nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
My tourny Victory WAS definitive proof!
infact Taelord is cheap.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
My tourny Victory WAS definitive proof!
infact Taelord is cheap.
Too funny!

AgentX-127
February 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Great 'cast, Truth!

Craig mentioned the blown up and color coded pics from the last Toy Fair...
What kind of crazed fanboy would go to all the trouble to do that, I wonder? :roll:

(Yeah, it was me! I'm pretty darned geeked out that he noticed it! :banana:
Unfortunately I didn't keep them, and they were lost along with the HQ gallery. :( )

(and yes, I called myself a fanboy. I have finally embraced who I am.)

Thanks again, Screaming Truth!

(p.s. Anybody from the HQ got copies of those color coded blown up Toy Fair pics? Now that they are famous I regret deleting them.)

Aldin
February 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
HEH,

For what it's worth, my impression was that he was not talking about retreads of old units, but that they would introduce new "classic" heroes. I interpreted that in terms of mythology.

~Aldin, waiting for Beowulf

Ketch
February 2nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
I am certain he did not mean "retreads"
I almost had zero idea where people were getting this from.

I believe he was just referring to the fact that they have already done some classic heros and they are going to go back and do more.
I think it would be a waste of their time to redo figures.

Besides, it was an off the cuff remark, the stuff they are focusing on he gave in detail and with excitement.

We really know how to blow something out of proportion here at Heroscapers :P (ellusions to the shelf picture intended).

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Great 'cast, Truth!

What kind of crazed fanboy would go to all the trouble to do that, I wonder? :roll:

Unfortunately I didn't keep them, and they were lost along with the HQ gallery. :( )

(p.s. Anybody from the HQ got copies of those color coded blown up Toy Fair pics? Now that they are famous I regret deleting them.)

I got 'em. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them over.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM
HEH,

For what it's worth, my impression was that he was not talking about retreads of old units, but that they would introduce new "classic" heroes. I interpreted that in terms of mythology.

~Aldin, waiting for Beowulf
Someone responded!
Ah, nice way to interpret that information, Aldin.
So we may get Grendel as well?
Or maybe Grendel with a Grapple Gun? :lol:

ninthdoc
February 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM
what's ninthdoc gonna do at gencon?

Drinking.

ninthdoc
February 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Heavily.

ninthdoc
February 2nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Oh, and playing a few games here and there, too.

Dragonslayer
February 2nd, 2007, 12:41 PM

You rock markwars! Thanks for that summary - I'm not able to listen to the podcasts - your efforts are much appreciated!

b.t.w. concerning penguins with machine guns... I know how they - the penguins - got into machine guns in the first place...

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=101444#111504

CupidsArt
February 2nd, 2007, 12:45 PM

You rock markwars! Thanks for that summary - I'm not able to listen to the podcasts - your efforts are much appreciated!

b.t.w. concerning penguins with machine guns... I know how they - the penguins - got into machine guns in the first place...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=89965#99108

Man I love your stuff, you know I'd be willing to make the figure and mail it to you. That is if you were willing to include him into something you do, ;)

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=101444#111504

Glad I could help you out. ;)

Cavalier
February 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
Great 'cast, Truth!

I got 'em. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send them over.

How 'bout uploading them to the gallery for all to enjoy...even if they are out of date :P

Aldin
February 2nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Grapple gun? Grendel don't need no steenkin' grapple gun!

~Aldin, who thought _The Legacy of Heorot_ by Niven, Pournelle and Barnes was pure genius (and actually rather Marro-like)

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
How 'bout uploading them to the gallery for all to enjoy...even if they are out of date :P

For the sake of nostalgia and those who are wondering what on earth we are talking about:

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10013/ZOMG.jpg

This is the infamous "shelf" from the 2006 Toy Fair.

AgentX-127
February 2nd, 2007, 01:23 PM
That's one of 'em, but that wasn't mine, that was someone else's version.

I would never have called the Staineless Steel Rats, Warmadillos! :P

earendil504
February 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Great podcast. Swarm of the Marro sounds awesome. I don't updating current figures but redoing cards might work. I would love Drake to be to use his grapple gun similar to Scorpion in Mortal Combat.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM

Yeah, there was one with the really bad images.

Annerios
February 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM

:lol: Sorry, that is the only one I could dig up on my machine.

bad_calvin
February 2nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think the best part of the interview is when Craig said that he was making a "Bad Calvin" mercenery miniature.

That part was awesome. :lol:

Thanks to Craig and Truth for all the info! I can't wait to get my hands on this new master set! woo hoo! more terrain!!

I think I may have wet myself. :x

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Ah the memories of that pic....that was actually a good pic. I remember when it was a fuzzy mess.

skyknight
February 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
So how many others here are thinkin" oh my lord...that means another ten master sets???? I know Ninth will be in line with me....

bad_calvin
February 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
So how many others here are thinkin" oh my lord...that means another ten master sets???? I know Ninth will be in line with me....

Yeah, pretty much. :) I may as well just send hasbro my game money every two weeks. I haven't but many other games since scape started.

bluekitsune13
February 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM

I'm really excited to see more on this new terrain. I expect if its truly a new Masterset, then its going to be a new "starting point" for the series, not so much replacing the original, but being the game's Chapter 2.here's my guess...

the Marro Swarm will be an Earth invasion. the new terrain will include buildings like what we've seen in the Marvelscape pics. this way someone who buys MarvelScape can use the terrain with maps for the classic game and have it tie in with the storyline from the classic game. the figures in Marvelscape would not tie into the storyline of classic HS however.

Actually... you make a really good point! In the new Thormun's Journal, he meantions something about how collecting amulets from the wellsprings can give the Archkyrie the power to invade other worlds. Perhaps that is what this new master set has in store for us! Then perhaps we can see other master sets with different planets represented. That, or we'll get some kick butt Marro hives.

Supergeek
February 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
I'm here with you. I only need 8 though.

AgentX-127
February 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
So how many others here are thinkin" oh my lord...that means another ten master sets???? I know Ninth will be in line with me....How do I explain this to my wife? She's never going to forget that conversation we had over a year ago:

"This isn't going to be like Magic (the Gathering) is it?" Meaning that I would spend $40 a week on it and still never have enough.

Me: "No, you get everything you need to play in the Master set...there are some expansions, but I don't need all of them..."

Now every time an expansion comes out, she looks at me like I am one of those who P.T. Barnum was talking about.

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM

Those of you that have been here for any length of time know the levels of my addiction (12 Master Sets total). And you would probably assume that I'm going to have to get 12 of these. And until I heard the specifics I would have thought so too....but the fact of the matter is I probably won't be buying more than about 4 of these. Why? Because in a lot of ways the specificness of the Marro terrain makes think I will use it sparingly, much like snow, lava and castle walls. Sure I'm going to want several, at least three to open and one to keep on my shelf. But beyond that probably not so much.

What I am going to say next is just purely my opinion, but truth and the staff are nice enough to let us state our opinions so I'll do so now. The Marros in general don't do much for me. Of all the themed armies Marros are my least favorite. Why? I dunno, they just are. It's my taste in what types of units I like to play. Orcs I love, Marros not so much. It's not that I hate them, I just like the other themed armies better. Had Craig said that the second Master Set was going to be Planet Grut with jungle and swamp terrain and include 10 huge dino riding Orcs and a giant horde of orc squads I would have committed to buying 20 right now. As it is I'll probably be satisfied with 4 or 5 or 6. :P

GaryLASQ
February 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM

Actually... you make a really good point! In the new Thormun's Journal, he meantions something about how collecting amulets from the wellsprings can give the Archkyrie the power to invade other worlds. Perhaps that is what this new master set has in store for us! Then perhaps we can see other master sets with different planets represented. That, or we'll get some kick butt Marro hives.i bet we get both. Hive terrain and Earth terrain (in addition to the Marvelscape Earth terrain). just not all in the same box.

yagyuninja
February 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
Marro aren't exactly my favorite theme either, but they do have fun and interesting powers.

Also, The first master set was called Rise of the Valkyrie and it wasn't chock full of Valkyrie, was it? Only one Kyrie in there if I remember correctly. ;) I'm just saying that the names of expansions so far don't dictate what comes in the box. I'm sure there will be a marro unit or two in there, but I don't expect it to be ALL marro.

jcb231
February 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
This be the place for discussing Craig's Podcast Interview

And remember all good heroscapers stay tuned until after the music.

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_cv1.jpg

So did your interview take place face-to-face in "the room" or did Craig just e-mail you that pic as a nice shot for the interview?

If you got in "the room" AND interviewed Craig (and got some actual info out of him it seems) I'm not sure what's the bigger get!

Good work.

Grishnakh
February 2nd, 2007, 03:16 PM
"Grishnakh tink dat da voices Grishnakh hear in his computer say good tings and....."

I'm going to interrupt Grishnakh here and drop out of character for a moment. First off I want to say thanks to Craig for doing the interview with Truth (and thanks to Truth as well for running this site). Second I want to mention that when you (Craig) brought up your story about the little boy at GenCon who yelled out "Dad, only two more master sets to go" I cracked up. You see that was my son Scott. My wife and I both remember him saying it. When he got home from school today I told him that you had mentioned this story on your podcast and that it was a fond memory of yours. You should have seen the smile on his face! He was positively beaming. Thanks for making his day. He's already asked if we can set up a Heroscape battle this weekend so he can beat me! Nothing better than a father and son day playing 'Scape together. I'll probably set it up tonight, after dinner. :D

Anyway, had to tell you guys. Keep up the good work.

And now, back to Grishnakh:

"...cost too much. Grishnakh don' no one ting dough. How do dees voices come out a Grishnakh's computer? Grishnakh still looking for da little people who live in der. And come to Grishnakh 300th post party. Or else."

http://heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10031/300invite.jpg

Cavalier
February 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Now, that is cool! Kid grishnak is responsible for one of Craigs best memories 8)

markwars
February 2nd, 2007, 03:20 PM
That's awesome Grish! :toast:

johnny139
February 2nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Wow. That was great. I anticipate Swarm of the Marro (SotM), and I pray the Marro Monster-rider gets in. The fact that the Bios will be updated is great, along with the fact he browses the boards at times (the shelf!).

:pray: We need another interview!

noodles
February 2nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Great post Grish!

jcb231
February 2nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Find a way to download it, everyone. It is worth it. It only took about 90 minutes on craptacular dial-up. I'm very pleased that I did.

Wow. That's some smokin' fast dial up. Your dial-up makes mine look like a crippled snail. It took around 6 to 7 hours to download for me...I'm not sure exactly how long it took as I obviously did not wait by the computer all that time!

Lol....yeah. Is that the right pronunciation? I always thought it was EYEnar....but hey, if Craig didn't correct you I guess it's EEEEnar....yet another bit of news for me from this interview!

Interesting....is it just me or does that kinda go against some sort of grammatical standard?

LilNewbie
February 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM

*Proudly raises hand*

:D

Newb.

molson
February 2nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
"Honey, I know we talked about the Tax Return this year going to finally pay down the Credit Cards, and pay your Tuition, and fix the cars, and all that, but y'see, there was this podcast, and Craig said..."

Put me down for at least 3 or 4. And she'll want another, I'm sure.

Love Ya, Honey!

yagyuninja
February 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Lol....yeah. Is that the right pronunciation? I always thought it was EYEnar....but hey, if Craig didn't correct you I guess it's EEEEnar....yet another bit of news for me from this interview!

Interesting....is it just me or does that kinda go against some sort of grammatical standard?

Craig did say EYEnar.

Finrod
February 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM

Craig did correct him by saying it properly. He said EYEnar. :)

EDIT: D'oh. Yagyuninja beat me. Those stealthy ninjas...

jcb231
February 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM

For the sake of nostalgia and those who are wondering what on earth we are talking about:

http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10013/ZOMG.jpg

This is the infamous "shelf" from the 2006 Toy Fair.

Ah yes....I remember when we were young and stupid and still untrod upon by the cruel cruel world.

Jandar Samurai, indeed!

Pish posh, it is to laugh.

What crazy speculation will we all agree is a pretty good idea next?

That said, Swarm of the Marro is going to rock! Awwww yeah.....I bet it will have 50 Marro figures in it for 5 bucks! And those Marro will be for all five generals plus a new sixth and seventh general! And they'll be battery operated with lights and sound and built in laser LOS checkers and will be able to play against you using advanced AI! And the Marro Giant will be in there! And there'll be twenty two variations of Sgt. Drake!

:-P

ninthdoc
February 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Lessee, another 20 master sets this year (10 SotM + 10 MLHS).

:bang:

jcb231
February 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM

Craig did correct him by saying it properly. He said EYEnar. :)

EDIT: D'oh. Yagyuninja beat me. Those stealthy ninjas...

D'oh!

Just listened to that portion again. You are correct, sir! I missed that Craig said it correctly the first time around. Serves me right for trying to get stuff ready for dinner while I listen from the other room. How dare I do something other than devote 100% of my attention to the interview! I knew having a life AND liking scape were mutually exclusive! :-)

I'm going to focus now and listen to the whole thing straight up.

R˙chean
February 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks truth and company for making this happen.

...that was a good listen

LilNewbie
February 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM
I enjoyed the portion where Craig was discussing how luck can be mitigated by good play (my paraphrase). I've always agreed with that train of thought.

Newb.

brickman1444
February 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
i don't think at all that by new classic characters he meant revamping old figs, but i would be fine if he did. for drake, more attack and defense. for specials: new grapple gun that increased his height by 30 so he could basically fly, Drake(2) cannot be drafted into an army with Drake and vice versa. and more points. and a new sculpt.

R˙chean
February 2nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
I enjoyed the portion where Craig was discussing how luck can be mitigated by good play (my paraphrase). I've always agreed with that train of thought.

Newb.

I centainly hope so!

Just don't tell the Dead Eye Dan hating Imax that

Dragonslayer
February 2nd, 2007, 05:28 PM

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=89965#99108

Man I love your stuff, you know I'd be willing to make the figure and mail it to you. That is if you were willing to include him into something you do, ;)

:D Thank you CA, we'll talk about this again as soon as my creative mood strikes me again!

Agent Minivann
February 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
...When asked about Pirates he said they were looking at them. He also specifically mentioned kobolds, miners, goblins, wizards, an Einar Dragon, skeletons, golems....and I kid you not....penguins with machine guns. He did laugh after saying that last one though. :P

Should read dwarven miners.

Also mentioned in the interview was war elephants!

Agent Minivann
February 2nd, 2007, 06:27 PM

Wow. That's some smokin' fast dial up. Your dial-up makes mine look like a crippled snail. It took around 6 to 7 hours to download for me...I'm not sure exactly how long it took as I obviously did not wait by the computer all that time!

I did download it in the middle of the night. That might have made a difference. I guess I should have said that. :oops:

Havokscry
February 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe they'll put Nerak and Hawthorne in the new master set. :)

yagyuninja
February 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Oh geez, don't get our hopes up. :)

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM

I did download it in the middle of the night. That might have made a difference. I guess I should have said that. :oops:
Guys. Seriously. Get some high speed!!!
Once you switch over you'll wonder why the heck you spent so much time delaying the decision.
Or maybe you won't - you'll be so giddy downloading and navigating hassle-free, you won't have time to reflect.
You too, Mal. :poke:

boom
February 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Wow, all very good info. And War Elephants too? Cool.

Doc_Savage
February 2nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

Once you switch over you'll wonder why the heck you spent so much time delaying the decision.
Or maybe you won't - you'll be so giddy downloading and navigating hassle-free, you won't have time to reflect.

Wasn't that you HeH? And me trying to convince you that it is actually cheaper (if you have a 2nd line dedicated to the computer)? I mean, SBC DSL is like $14...

jcb321 - I was wondering the same thing. Truth - the big question is did you take that picture? If so, post the full size one...

Thanks, Truth. That was a fun listen. I listened twice and I didn't get the impression that there would be a bunch of repeats in the Swarm of the Marro set...

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM

Wasn't that you HeH? And me trying to convince you that it is actually cheaper (if you have a 2nd line dedicated to the computer)? I mean, SBC DSL is like $14...
I don't recall. I can't reflect. I'm surfing around here too fast!!!
:wink:

bluekitsune13
February 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Man, I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. I'd be embarrassed if anyone else heard my high pitch squeal when I heard a new master set (with Marro!) was going to be released. I can't wait, and I can only hope it will come soon.

Wilkerson74
February 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Truth....great job lining up that interview....don't know how you did it...but it was indeed awesome.

Really excited to see what this new master set may contain when it hits the shelves. While the name says alot, Im sure the other generals will get some love too. Im actually wondering if we will see a more "marr" focused set?? new vipers or something?? Im not certain of all the figures from marr....but of course the posibilities are great...*drool*

Kudos again to truth and craig for taking the time to talk to heroscapers.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
new vipers or something??
Ah, that's a sweet speculation.

deadeyedan42
February 2nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
This has to have been the funniest podcast EVER!

I mena, you gotta love the, [quote] Question 11, why does taelord cost too much?

....Taelord doesn't cost too much, I mean put him in a tower.... *sigh*

That's gotta be the best one in there other then the "only need two more" comment. :lol:

dickflea
February 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
First of all thanks markwars for the summary, it definately helps those who can't get the podcast.

Second, go MS ver.2!!!! Not so sure about revamping the current figures though. I would prefer all new characters.

I can't wait for the toyfair pics and all the upcoming expansions (pirates not penguins).

Joah
February 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Second, go MS ver.2!!!! Not so sure about revamping the current figures though. I would prefer all new characters.

Is this confirmed?
I hope it's mostly new guys. I wouldn't mind some new sculpts of some of the classics, but I'd rather wait until the 20th Anniversery addition. :wink:

How many "Swarms" for me?
At least 4. Or 6.

I cannot wait until the Toy Show.

ej
February 2nd, 2007, 10:54 PM
I just listened to the whole podcast and I didn't hear anything that made me believe that there wouldn't be a whole NEW set of figures in the new master set. Call me crazy, but I'm doubting there'll be new or alternate versions of the heros we've come to know and love.

bad_calvin
February 2nd, 2007, 11:07 PM
I was just able to listen to the whole thing here at home, rather then at work while answering phones and fixing computers. I just wanted to say thanks!
It was a great interview, and the end made me laugh my ass off. Good stuff.
I told my son about the new marro swarm set coming out and that there would be new terrain. He hopes there are some more obstacles (He takes after his Dad :)) He also thought perhaps there would be some red "mars tiles", a bone bridge, and some swamps. I guess I know what he wants. Anyway, thanks for the interview Craig and Truth. It was very well done, and I appreciate you both taking the time to do that for us fans.

Venom
February 2nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
if they did redo any of the original figures, first thing that came to mind was evil Raelin herself or riding on Mimring like in the comic. but i agree that i wouldn't want them re-done.

now in this new master set, anyone else wonder if maybe they'll have new glyphs? and what if it comes with a new unique marro squad. :shock:

Agent Minivann
February 3rd, 2007, 12:23 AM

It's all about the Hamiltons. The cheapest high speed in these parts is >$30. That's x3 what I'm paying now. It's either get high speed, or feed my HS addiction. I'll put up with slow.

noodles
February 3rd, 2007, 01:58 AM

It's all about the Hamiltons. The cheapest high speed in these parts is >$30. That's x3 what I'm paying now. It's either get high speed, or feed my HS addiction. I'll put up with slow.

It's all about the Hamiltons BABY - call me Aaron Burr!

Elstree
February 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
They apparently have a giant binder filled with abilities and powers.that is kept in a vault that only two people have a key for. :)

it certainly would be fun to read through this binder...

I wonder how much of the stuff in that binder is stuff printed from this website? I'd like to think that every once in a while someone here turns out a real gem that makes someone at Hasbro think "now there's a cool idea."

Thanks much for the interview, Craig!

markwars
February 3rd, 2007, 09:17 AM
I editted my first summaries....here's the entire thing in one post:

Craig's Podcast Summary

The interview started with Craig talking about his background....he went to art school in Philly and then he was doing some freelance work and substitute teaching when he got a job with Hasbro.

He talked about his early work at Hasbro including the Avalon Hill stuff (Risk 2210, Stratego Legends, etc.). He also mentioned working on various Power Puff Girls games, a Pokemon game, and Star Wars Epic Duels.

Heroscape behind the scenes

truth then asked about Heroscape as a job and how far back the work on HeroScape had gone. The meat of Craig's answer was that going back to 1995-96 he had wanted to put together a miniatures game for the mass market. He talked about Stephen Baker's (another one of the game designers) work on HeroQuest and BattleMasters inspiring the game mechanics. He also said that the Basic game was for the 8 to 10 year olds...and the Master rules were for kids 10, 11, 12, and much older.

Craig then talked about unit design. He mentioned that they have free flowing discussions about what to add to the game. They talk to the sculptors who them give them sketches and they decide what is viable from there. He mentioned that he has over 600 such sketches! Here's hoping they all get made.

He also talked about how unit design works hand in hand with wave design. They apparently have a giant binder filled with abilities and powers. When they get the sculpts they look at those and assign abilities. Then they look at what else is included in the wave and assign abilities accordingly.

Heroscape in 2007

When asked how well HeroScape was doing Craig said that since Hasbro is a publicly traded company he couldn't give us hard numbers. He said that anytime offerings are increasing though that is a good sign of how well things are selling. He said that 2007 would be a year with a lot of new offerings....he then specifically mentioned Marvelscape.

Craig then dropped the biggest bomb of the interview. He revealed that there would be a new Master Set released this year. Smile He said it will be called "Swarm of the Marro". It will include all new terrain. It will include all new figures. Some of the figures included may be classic characters revisited. He also said "No Comment" about the giant Marro from Thormun's Journal.

Regarding terrain enhancers and line of sight blockers...he seemed a little less than committed for 2007. He mentioned the Castles as being pretty good LOS blockers.

Craig said there will definitely be a nice booth at the 2007 Toy Fair this month in NYC. He jokingly said that he hopes we get better pictures than last year's infamous "Shelf" picture. Judging from his sense of humor about it I think he'll make sure we get one.

Future units and direction

When asked if Hasbro was pushing things in a "generals-centric" way he said no necessarily. He seemed to like what the Flagbearers did to the game though so he wouldn't rule out more general-centric themes in the future.

When asked about Pirates he said they were looking at them. He also specifically mentioned kobolds, dwarven miners, goblins, wizards, an Einar Dragon, skeletons, golems, a War Elephant....and I kid you not....penguins with machine guns. He did laugh after saying that last one though.

Official Website Issues

Then he lauched into the issues about the Official Site. Some of the things mentioned...

They are moving resources away from the Battlefield Builder. He gave a nod to Virtualscape and said that since the community had provided it they were putting their efforts into product.

He said that the Bio's should all be updated soon. They have hired some writers and things are moving again on this.

He said that the new look to Thormun's Journal allows for web searches. That's something they want to do on the Official Site. He also said more updates to the Journal will be forthcoming.

Also more official scenarios should be coming to the Official Site.

Tourney Talk

Craig said that official Tourney rules and support is not in the near future. I kind of felt like they viewed the regional tournies in the same light as Virtualscape - that the community was handling it. Oh well.

Marvelscape issues

Then the topics went into the realm of Marvelscape...

He said that it should ship this summer....early summer specifically.

While they recommend Marvelscape as a stand alone game, it could certainly be mixed. He jokingly mentioned having the Hulk take on 30 Romans.

Hasbro is looking at the possibility of Marvelscape Expansions.

The glyphs will be different in their mechanics than HeroScape glyphs. He said this will allow for more "Super hero type of actions".

Craig also said that they are exploring other licenses as well. He was not specific about this at all.

WotC's Customer Service

One of the last things discussed was the frank question of whether or not we should trust Wizards of the Coast's customer service when it comes to rulings for Heroscape. Craig admitted that there was a bit of a "bumpy start", but that had been resolved and he said that things were better and we should trust them in the future.

Wrapping things up

Then truth launched into a lightning round of questions. The highlights (and only things relating to Scape) were that Craig's favorite memories of this whole ride are meeting fans at the Cons and getting feedback. He also said that if he was a HeroScape figure he would be Sgt. Drake.

And as a last tidbit Craig said that he would check into getting other Hasbro employees to submit to the Podcast treatment.

noodles
February 3rd, 2007, 10:03 AM
Nice wrapup Markwars.

RichardD
February 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
My favourite bit was the "Hey dad - we only need two more!" line :)

Interesting to hear that Craig is a big fan of Lowenherz - I've always regarded it as a workmanlike piece from Teuber, but nothing particularly great or groundbreaking, or even something that I'd want to play 20+ times. Yet Craig's clearly aware of many more games than simply the Hasbro catalogue to come up with Lowenherz in the first place (it's not exactly well-known), but it's not simply a matter of his picking something obscure for "snob value" (or he would have chosen something like McMulti, Wallenstein or Reef Encounter). He must genuinely like it.

Jaz1597
February 3rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
I've only read through half this thread, and I really don't have time to read the rest...so I'm truly sorry if this has already been mentioned:

But what if Craig's reference to continuing classic characters means the appearance of Evil Raelin, or something along those lines?

HS ~ KNT
February 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
I know this has probably been brought up before... (I don't havew time to read through right now, and I just want to ask opions...)

Do you think that the new MS will have more water than the first? (Marro's like water (Warriors))
And:
Larger Sand pieces? (I always thought the Marro fit well with the sand terrain...)

johnny139
February 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
I wonder - will it be all new, or include some old ones as well? I could use some more Marro Drones, will they be adding a few of those? Because, I mean, I had no idea the difference between Common and Unique squads when I started. I think it would be a good idea.

And more Water would be a great idea. New Water Cloners?

skyknight
February 3rd, 2007, 01:33 PM
I just found this thread...take a look at my second post on that page. I pretty well nailed it :P

http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=4753&start=0&sid=697210114a10c42d998443af8cf4825f

Aldin
February 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Now onto how I wuld save this game. What I truly believe the game needs right now is a second master set. While I enjoy the figs I am ready to bite into a new apple. I would love to see a brand new Master set based on a different enviroment such as swamps or numerous other landscapes. It should be a stand alone set or be able to be combined. By that I mean I could buy the new master set as a new gamer and never have to buy another piece... so we are talking 30 new figs...mass of terrain...new buildings or trees, glyphs, blood markers, dice...the whole nine yards.
You wanna hook me again Hasbro...that there is the way.

The new figs make it a new game everytime they are released....could you imagine having that old excitemnt back while you pick up your first issue of the new Master set. How great would that be.

Ayup - Dead on nailed it!

~Aldin, giving skynight a thousand points, just like on "Who's Line is it Anyway"

jcb231
February 3rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Some thoughts on the podcast....

First off, thanks to Craig and Colby for doing this. I haven't really been into the podcasts thus far because while they have always been well done they haven't had any real "get" interview subjects that interested me enough to trouble with the agonizingly long download, but if this is the future of them, ya got me hooked Truth!

The picture...those do look like they might be some new figures next to the pile of shades. Hmmm...are they repaints or prototypes like some of the other oddities we saw in that room (Venoc Warlord with brown accents, Taelord with red wings, Dark Raelin) or are they something truly new?

Next....600 sketches. Wow. We currently have about 200 different figures spread over about 102 cards. That's based on two full years of the game...100 distinct figures per year. If all the sketches are of unreleased items, and they all got made, we'd have Heroscape for around six more years without another sketch being made! Ah...the impossible dream. :-)

Next...the game is designed about six months out. I can't find the old interview with Craig, but didn't the game used to be designed a year out? Anyone have that original interview? If that changed, I wonder why.

A huge binder of card powers....and still we just get Counterstrike on Tagawa Archers and Heavy Gruts that are beefier clones of Blade Gruts. :-P

The thing about a public company not being able to give specific numbers...that confused me. It's been a while since I was really invested in stocks, but don't public companies have a greater level of transparency than private ones? Wouldn't they be obligated to keep their investors informed with whole annual reports brimming with statistics? Anyone care to elaborate on how that works?

I like his optimism about the future....the line is indeed growing in its offerings. Maybe we will see all 600 sketches! :-) Nice to hear him say that they ARE continuing with the "core" scape. That shuts down some of the doomsayers who think Marvel will be the end of the game, I hope.

NEW MASTER SET....this of course is the biggest news of the interview. I don't really know what to think about this. On the one hand, I'm really excited to see a new batch of figures and terrain, hopefully for the same excellent value of the ROV set. $40 for 30 figures, ruins, and lots of terrain is an absolute steal and I hope that price is applied to the new set. The only reason I'd buy multiples of the new set would be for whatever the new terrain is (assuming the set contains only uniques and the new terrain is offered no other way)....hopefully it won't be something I want more than 3 or 4 sets of! On the other hand, I'm hesitant about the new Master. A lot of expansions are designed to fit right in with the Master Set...Berserker Charge Enhancement, Orc Champion Bonding, and all that. Will the new Master replicate a lot of those same powers? Will a new Master have to contain figures with Berserker Charge, an Orc Champion, and so on and so forth so that people can still get those? Will it end up being really exciting and diffferent or just new for the sake of new? Combine this news with the official site's claim that a new look is coming to Heroscape and I'm a bit worried. I'm hoping the game doesn't change it's visual style...I'd hate to have mismatched cards and figures...that would push me right out of the game....a whole hodgepodge of editions. I'm hoping the visual aspects of the game stay the same and just the packaging style changes for the new Master.

I like that the Master Set will have ALL new figures....no repackaging! Yay! Hopefully that means all new sculpts too....I assume it does. The comment about "continuing" some "classic heroes" is vague enough to be interesting. I take it a couple ways...one, it could mean that the new figures will just further flesh out existing classic factions, like the Samurai, WWII Soldiers, Orcs, Marro, etc. Two, it could mean new variations of existing pivotal characters....a new evolution of Drake or Raelin showing them at a different point in the war or with different equipment or some such. Option two doesn't interest me all that much right now, but I'd be open to seeing how they handle it. I wonder if there would be a rule that treats them as the same unique hero as their earlier version....as in no Raelin and Magical My Little Pony Rider Raelin in the same army. I assume, of course, that this new Master will have at least some Marro figures,as he says it will have some "Marro Stuff." I wonder what types of Marro we might see? The Marro Giant.....well, I'm no longer thinking that was an early Su-Bak-Na sketch. I think if it WAS an early Su-Bak-Na sketch he would have been able to say so instead of laughing and saying no comment. Or maybe it was an early Su-Bak-Na sketch that is now being used for a different character from this upcoming master set?

The "Swarm of the Marro" Master Set will have everything we'd think it will have, he says....so figures and land for certain, and it seems reasonable to expect some ruins/trees/obstacles, dice, glyphs, order markers, rules, and so on...the basics. I wonder if these will be version three rules, and if so what the changes might be. I wonder if the new dice will be less prone to chipping? I wonder if they will be generic versions of the sunk-in Valkyrie Dice without the thematic symbols and colors? I wonder if any new glyphs will be made or if glyphs will be included at all? I wonder if the old ruins will be recycled or we will get new sculpted obstacles or if these will simply be dropped to trim costs? A lot of things to speculate on. I would have love to have asked Craig if the new Master is meant to be a new starting point for the whole game or if they are marketing it as something to buy WITH Rise of the Valkyrie. Is ROV being phased out or will both be shipped to stores? I wonder if the new Master will fill on the thematics and gameplay "slots" that the old fills? Will we have a new giant Soulborg robot (Major Q10?), a squad or Berserker Charge warriors (Dreadguls?) and so on? Will the new elves and kyrie mentioned in the Journal be in an upcoming wave or in this set? When will the set hit shelves? I would assume fourth quarter, in time for Christmas, but who knows? Summer would seem a bad choice, as it would run it right up against the postponed release of Marvelscape and potentially compete for shelf space and buyers. Hopefully more light will be shed on this at Toyfair. I'd love to see some quality pics. I trust Erik won't let us down, being the champ he is.

The "new terrain" comment....I hope that he means truly NEW terrain...not just new terrain piece shapes or so on. That would be cool to but I trust that he means something really new. Marro Hives would be fun, if limited in their thematic uses..the fact that he says the set contains new Marro Stuff lends a lot of weight to a Marro terrain line of speculation to go with any new Marro figures. Cool as that would be my fingers are crossed for Swamp/Bog, Deciduous Trees, and other natural environments in the years to come.

The nice explanation of general-centric armies and concerns....I feel more confident now that the game is not going down that ugly road. It seems like all doors are being left open, and we'll get the best of both styles of play.

The great speculation run-down...no real differentiation was made between stuff he's giving serious thought to and stuff that's just been run through the brainstorming sessions and cast aside, but it's nice that they have at least given some thought to the following....

Pirates....hey, saying he's looking into them is better than saying they need ships to work. We'll break him boys! Keep at it! :-)

Dwarven Miners....this a lot more specific than just saying "Dwarves." I wonder if that means they've been really seriously looking into Dwarves? Perhaps even more so than Pirates these are topping wishlists out there. The official site's "Dwarf or Viking?" comment gave us a hint a while back that they were aware of the Dwarf frenzy around here.

Kobolds....well we've had the teaser of Lizard-like creatures ever since Valguard came out. I'm hoping someday we see Einar get a squad of lizard-men and perhaps a one-armed lizard hero.

Grunt riders.....what are those? Does he mean "Grut" riders? As in Gruts riding on stuff? Did I miss Fantasy Creatures 101?

Goblins....don't we already sorta have those? I'll trust them to come up with something cool if they make them, but aren't Heroscape Orcs the equivalent of most fantasy games' Goblins? Goblins are usually small and tricky little weak things...much like our current Orcs. I wonder if Heroscape Goblins would be even smaller and weaker or if Craig will pull a switch on us and have Goblins be the bigger versions of Orcs in Heroscape land? Or maybe Heroscape Goblins could just be a weird cousin to the Orc, perhaps even for a different general?

Wizards....we've got a couple Elf Wizards...I'd love to see the Humans or Orcs or other groups get some magic going.

Einar Dragon and/or War Elephant....nice that they're still considering these.

Skeltons....I'd love to see Sudema get some skeletal and/or mummified backup...hopefully that's the sort of thing they are considering.

Vydar Kyrie...thanks for voicing that Truth! Vydar needs some lovin' on the Kyrie front!

Penguins with Machine Guns. Ya know, these would probably sell. Penguins are hot right now. I know he's kidding but if they actually made this I'd buy 'em, even if the stats sucked. They'd have a high fun factor, kind of like the Gorillinators. Those apes have sucked more observers into my games than any other figure. I say bring on the Penguininators! Penguinites? Penguinitors? Eh, just call 'em Penguins with Machine Guns. That'll do.

LOS blockers....he seemed less than enthused about these. Seems doubtful to me that he's planning any more for 2007 at least, or I imagine he would have given us a vague "Yeah, we've got some stuff coming out like that." Who knows. Maybe the new Master will have something like this.

ToyFair....woohoo. We needs us some pics, we does. Do we have any inside men besides Erik? Erik's a busy fella and can't be bothered to spend all his time at one booth, I'm sure. Do we have any scapers in the NYC are that might have the credentials to drop in? I knew some guys that worked the fair last year and could have gotten me shelf pics if they'd known in advance, but I don't think they are working there this year, sad to say. I'm thinking there will definately be something worth photographing, even if it's just new angles on the Marvel set. Everyone call in your favors! A shiny virtual shilling to the man or woman that brings us the first photo of Swarm of the Marro, Wave 6.5, Wave 7, or anything else that might be awaiting us on the show floor.

Diverting resources away from Battlefield Builder and similar items.....BRILLIANT!!!! Anything that puts more man-hours into the core product is okay in my book. I'm all for the Battlefield Builder if it in no way takes away from the game, but it seems like it must have been using the team's time and so I'm glad it's been sidelined for now. Nice little shout-out to Virtualscape as well...nice that Craig thinks a fan-made item is good enough to fill the needs of his gaming baby.

Hiring writers....woohoo. Hopefully we'll get something really cool out of that. I don't want to knock any updates to the official site, but let's just say the latest Thormun's Journal was...um...well...less than brilliant. Glad to see that some writers are going to be working away at the Journal and the Bios. Official scenarios coming soon? Awesome. I'm hoping someday we get multi-set scenarios too.

Tournament rules and all that that entails....he says not in the near future. That's a shame, but as I said earlier, anything that puts more man-hours into the product is okay in my book. So long as they can keep interest high I'm okay with the lack of official competitive play.

Marvelscape delayed until early summer....darn. I was looking forward to getting some games of that in while I've got some free time over the next couple months. Oh well. Better to release a product with the kinks worked out than to rush a product to meet a deadline. It'll get here when it gets here. I just hope I can find Wave Six soon. I wonder what will be released in the first two quarters of '07 to tide us over?

Marvel and Classic in the mix.....great that Marvel is a "great" stand-along game, but I wonder if it wouldn't get a little boring after a while with no expansions in the immediate works. Ten characters on ten cards compared to 102 different cards and bajillions of combinations for Classic. I'm glad that his remarks seem to support the early hints that said the game was not fundamentally incompatible with classic. Time will tell if they are truly playable together. Hulk versus 30 Romans....lol. Good Lord I hope he's not really 375 points....ouch. He was exaggerating I'm sure but by how much? He later comes back with 21 Romans, after seeming to think about it for a moment....that would put the Hulk at 212.5 points, which would likely round out to 215 (given that all current point values are divisible by 5 for easy math)....a perfectly reasonable value. I would think that 250ish is about what you could cap a single figure at....I wonder if they disagree and have really pushed figures up into the 300 range. That might cause a true incompatibility and so I hope that the "21 Romans" comment is no joke. A 215 point Hulk is what I've been hoping for...I was expecting something in the 200-225 point range and they may have shot in right in there, nothing but net. He says they are looking into Marvel expansions....perhaps the most "no duh" comment of the interview, for me at least...given that they work on a six month (at least) timetable by Craig's own admission, those are surely already in the works pretty seriously, waiting for the sales-based green light I bet. No way they leave Wolverine and company out of the fun, right? The glyphs being situational makes sense, given the general downplay of glyphs ever since Wave One....even with a new Master we're not seing truly new glyphs it seems, just scenario-dependent objectives. I'm eager to see how this breaks down, specifically.

Star Wars and other licenses....I would really love to see Star Wars scape...the more I think about it the more I want it. I'm glad they are looking into other licenses and common sense says that Star Wars has got to be high on the list, what with the license already being under Hasbro's umbrella, and the Star Wars name selling mass quantities of everything from Monopoly to action figures to PEZ.

Glad to hear him admit that the WOTC thing got off to a bumpy start. I'll trust them..................................for now. :-P

Lightning round....what did he say his favorite board game was? I couldn't understand what he said.

I was actually eager to hear his Comic-con story....way to cut him off Truth. :-P

Future interviews....if you get Rob on there, I'd gleefully go through the agony of trying to download this to my crappy computer again. Rob and Craig are the big "gets" for this. How fun would it be to have both of them on at the same time?

I hope Craig does play the tournament winner with Taelord. I'm one of the seeming minority that don't think he's horrifically overcosted, so I'd love to see some naysayer get a smack-down, Taelord style.

RichardD
February 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Favourite boardgame was Lowenherz. See my comments a couple of posts up.

HS ~ KNT
February 3rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
...Penguins with Machine Guns. Ya know, these would probably sell. Penguins are hot right now. I know he's kidding but if they actually made this I'd buy 'em, even if the stats sucked. They'd have a high fun factor, kind of like the Gorillinators. Those apes have sucked more observers into my games than any other figure. I say bring on the Penguininators! Penguinites? Penguinitors? Eh, just call 'em Penguins with Machine Guns. That'll do....

Yes! (I am a penguin fanatic, I have been since I was born. My mother was a penguin fanactic since she was my age, it got passed down. I've been loving the publicity penguins have been getting!)

Any type of Penguin/Bird unit I would LOVE! Rocs, Giant eagles, Falcon companions for some up-coming unit, destructible chickens, I don't care! I love birds, and am seriously considering buying a pack of small ducks to make a custom squad...

{*I forgot Theracus, that was awesome, finding a Hippogriff amonst dragons was a very happy moment, and as close to birds as HS has come, unfortunatley...*}

jcb231
February 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
I loved MtG, but in hindsight I see it for the money-grabbing scheme that it is.

One thing I hope for Heroscape is that I never use the phrase "money-grabbing scheme" to describe it like I do with other games.

I just about flipped out at the Swarm of the Marro announcement. :excited: 30 new figures and new terrain all at once!

The Marvel Legends Master Set only has ten figures, so let's not assume all Master Sets will have 30 figures. It's a fair guess, but with all the cost-cutting steps they took after Rise of the Valkyrie I wouldn't be surprised to see the number drop a little.

Markwars, you forgot to mention that if Craig were a hotdog, he would in fact NOT eat himself.

Yeah. Um, what was that about?

P.S. Is the Hulk worth 375 points?

I really hope not. I hope that crack about 21 Romans is closer than the 30 Romans he mentions first.

Newb.

Me too. I've always thought of Heroscape as a game in which luck is a major factor, but really it's a game about strategically and deliberately optimizing your luck through figure placement and selection.

Maybe they'll put Nerak and Hawthorne in the new master set. :)

Lol.

Folks always say this, as if High-speed is just readily available in all parts of the country to all houses on all streets. It's not, sadly. Trust me, I am aware of this "high speed" you speak of...don't think I'm trudging through dial-up because I enjoy it. Hopefully high-speed will be available to my home by late 2007.

jcb231
February 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Im not certain of all the figures from marr....but of course the posibilities are great...*drool*

Gorillinators and Laglor are from Marr, for some reason.

Favourite boardgame was Lowenherz. See my comments a couple of posts up.

Got it...I think you must have submitted that while I was typing my post, ya sneaky bugger!

skyknight
February 3rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Now onto how I wuld save this game. What I truly believe the game needs right now is a second master set. While I enjoy the figs I am ready to bite into a new apple. I would love to see a brand new Master set based on a different enviroment such as swamps or numerous other landscapes. It should be a stand alone set or be able to be combined. By that I mean I could buy the new master set as a new gamer and never have to buy another piece... so we are talking 30 new figs...mass of terrain...new buildings or trees, glyphs, blood markers, dice...the whole nine yards.
You wanna hook me again Hasbro...that there is the way.

The new figs make it a new game everytime they are released....could you imagine having that old excitemnt back while you pick up your first issue of the new Master set. How great would that be.

Ayup - Dead on nailed it!

~Aldin, giving skynight a thousand points, just like on "Who's Line is it Anyway"

Thanks Aldin...I appreciate it :lol:

BTW, my next prediction. I predicted the first release of the castle would be at Gencon...I had a bunch of naysayers on that one but it ended up being right.

So here it is!!!! GENCON 2007 WILL BE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE OF THE MARRO SWARM MASTER SET!!!!!!

This is just a prediction but I feel pretty comfortable making it. :wink:

mrbistro
February 3rd, 2007, 04:05 PM
The thing about a public company not being able to give specific numbers...that confused me. It's been a while since I was really invested in stocks, but don't public companies have a greater level of transparency than private ones? Wouldn't they be obligated to keep their investors informed with whole annual reports brimming with statistics? Anyone care to elaborate on how that works?

They only have to be transparent to their shareholders. Some companies, in order to promote growth in the stockmarket promote 100% transparency. It usually depends on the type of company, and that company's CFO. Some companies (like let's say a bank) can be transparent because their numbers won't give away proprietary information. If Hasbro, a toy company, were 100% transparent they might give away precious marketing info to competitors. It makes sense.

GaryLASQ
February 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
although a new Master Set is an "excitement builder" it is a big waste of plastic and money for those of us with 4, 5, 6 or more original master sets who bought them just for the extra terrain (not the extra figures, which is also a big waste). unless they give a new look to ALL the pieces, then after i open it, the order markers, wound markers and dice are going straight into the trash can or donated to someone who runs large tourneys. what a waste.

the only thing that interests me about a new master set would be a rewrite of the rulebook. it is in need of some improvements, a glossary, and a section that addresses a lot of the questions that have come up on the FAQ. plus it should seamlessly combine all the rules that have come up with past terrain expansions.

new figs and new terrain don't need to be in a new master, but hey, whatever :roll:

mrbistro
February 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
I would personally like it if we got the same terrain types in new layouts. For instance, I would particularly love more 24-hex pieces in a different shape.

jcb231
February 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM

They only have to be transparent to their shareholders. Some companies, in order to promote growth in the stockmarket promote 100% transparency. It usually depends on the type of company, and that company's CFO. Some companies (like let's say a bank) can be transparent because their numbers won't give away proprietary information. If Hasbro, a toy company, were 100% transparent they might give away precious marketing info to competitors. It makes sense.

So if I were a shareholder in Hasbro, could I obtain Heroscape sales info?

If so, are there any shareholders on the boards? Anyone invested in Hasbro at all? I'd be willing to take a look and see if it would be worthwhile to invest in for a few months or so, but I'm sure we can drag up someone who's already into it if we all look hard enough.

Firemaster
February 3rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
I would personally like it if we got the same terrain types in new layouts. For instance, I would particularly love more 24-hex pieces in a different shape.

Or possibly something like 48+ hex sheets?

markwars
February 3rd, 2007, 06:08 PM
If so, are there any shareholders on the boards? Anyone invested in Hasbro at all? I'd be willing to take a look and see if it would be worthwhile to invest in for a few months or so, but I'm sure we can drag up someone who's already into it if we all look hard enough.

I can't help but feel like asking that question of people here is like asking people how much money they make at their job. It just doesn't feel right. :2cents:

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM

I can't help but feel like asking that question of people here is like asking people how much money they make at their job. It just doesn't feel right. :2cents:
Yeah, who wants to be dragged up?

jcb231
February 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM

Really? You think that's too personal? (shrugs) To each his own I guess.

I'm not asking any specific person in their face...I'm putting an open question out there and allowing anyone to voluntarily come forward and answer it, if they want. It's actually quite harmless info to provide.

Plus I'm not asking how many shares they own, what they paid for them, what they plan on selling them for, blah blah blah. I could care less about any of that, and those sorts of questions are getting a little personal. I'm just asking if anyone owns ANY Hasbro stock, period. That, to me, is like asking "Hey, does anyone bank at Wachovia? Is it a good bank? What kind of benefits do they offer for new accounts?" or "Has anybody used Century 21 to sell a home? Should I?"

All I'm asking is "Is anyone out there on the boards a recent owner of Hasbro stock?" and if so "Can you get us a scan of the annual report or find other info that would have what we're looking for or at least give us a good idea of how Heroscape is performing?"

Annual reports are pretty public....they're just mailed out to shareholders...I get them for various companies that I've been a regular holder in...I seem to recall Disney had a really cool one back when I owned a share or two of that. Not sure how many places do reports on-line now, but I bet more than a few do. Heck, there may even be a way to access the info online somehow on a public site. Perhaps financial websites have a way to easily search for such info without being an investor and waiting for the annual. Anyone know any good financial websites that can do this?

Nobody's asking for anyone's account info or other sensitive information. Asking people if they buy stock nowadays is like asking folks if they use banks or write checks....it's become pretty common.

Finrod
February 3rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
So here it is!!!! GENCON 2007 WILL BE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE OF THE MARRO SWARM MASTER SET!!!!!!

I think that's a pretty safe assumption. I don't think Craig would have revealed it unless it's about to be revealed to a larger degree very, very soon.

Hahnarama
February 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM

OK I'll take that bet. Loser buys the winner a beer @ The Ram.

Doc_Savage
February 3rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
And I make the insane, crazy prediction that MarvelScape premieres at ComicCon San Diego! And I won't be there this year!

ChilliDog
February 3rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hadn't even thought about Swarm of the Marro making it's debut at GenCon...even more of a reason for me to go. Sadly however, I don't think I'll actually make it. Unless I can bum a ride off of Rev and his Scooter..

*Searches for his gif*

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7233/revqb7.gif

There it is :thumbsup:

stay_golden_PONYBOY
February 3rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hasbro Information:

Annual reports: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-reportsAnnual

Information requests: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-inforeq

Stock charts: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-stockchart

:D

ninthdoc
February 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Here's a thought, jcb, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and become a Hasbro shareholder. That way you'll be privvy to everything there is and you can share it with us all. That should solve the problem for you and any privacy issues that it brings up.

Doc, are you going to Comic Con this year?

theats
February 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
PENGUINS WITH MACHINE GUNS!!!!!!!

johnny139
February 3rd, 2007, 11:12 PM
PENGUINS WITH MACHINE GUNS!!!!!!!

This can only mean one thing...

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/Dragonslayer_1966/Beaks_17.jpg

Craig reads MOAM.

theats
February 3rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
:jawdrop: Ive gota get me soma those...

Kepler
February 3rd, 2007, 11:42 PM

Shareholders get the same information that everyone else gets. The public disclosure of public companies is only for aggregate information. Some companies will breakdown some info by segment, but that is usually pretty limited.

The public company statement by Craig means that he can't give us any information that the public in general does not have (i.e. such information must be released through official company statements).

markwars
February 4th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Craig told us that a sign of good fiscal health for Heroscape is increasing offerings. He then elaborated on the new offerings they are making and said they were looking into others. Isn't that enough to assure us that Scape is doing just fine? What exactly are you looking to find out jcb?

P_J_Keller
February 4th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the interview Truth, and thanks to Craig for taking the time here.

This will probably come out wrong and, believe me, no offense is meant, but having Craig provide input to this site gives the site a certain amount of legitimacy we haven't seen since .net. This bodes well for Heroscapers.com's future.

People have brought up some excellent points regarding Swarm of the Marro. What got me thinking was the term swarm. When I hear swarm I think multiple squads of commons. Would it be too far fetched to think this may be a master set with a couple sets of commons?

Codeman
February 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
although a new Master Set is an "excitement builder" it is a big waste of plastic and money for those of us with 4, 5, 6 or more original master sets who bought them just for the extra terrain (not the extra figures, which is also a big waste). unless they give a new look to ALL the pieces, then after i open it, the order markers, wound markers and dice are going straight into the trash can or donated to someone who runs large tourneys. what a waste.

the only thing that interests me about a new master set would be a rewrite of the rulebook. it is in need of some improvements, a glossary, and a section that addresses a lot of the questions that have come up on the FAQ. plus it should seamlessly combine all the rules that have come up with past terrain expansions.

new figs and new terrain don't need to be in a new master, but hey, whatever :roll:

Gary, I have one other suggestion concerning the extra figures, cards, dice & markers that one accumulates with owning multiple sets. I have given them to other potential HS gamers… just one MS worth of figures gives them several cards to digest and hopefully some excitement to build an army and try it out. Some future players are really strapped for cash and would like the game but just can’t afford to own…. They are really appreciative to have the extra guts of a MS to take back home and learn game and build armies.

Grungebob
February 4th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the interview Truth, and thanks to Craig for taking the time here.

This will probably come out wrong and, believe me, no offense is meant, but having Craig provide input to this site gives the site a certain amount of legitimacy we haven't seen since .net. This bodes well for Heroscapers.com's future.

People have brought up some excellent points regarding Swarm of the Marro. What got me thinking was the term swarm. When I hear swarm I think multiple squads of commons. Would it be too far fetched to think this may be a master set with a couple sets of commons?

Let's ask the eightball!!

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ssanty/images/7.gif

skyknight
February 4th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Your on :P I shoulda made this bet last time with ya when you said the castles would not be released there either :wink: ...Then you'd owe me two beers :lol:

lonewolf
February 4th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Craig told us that a sign of good fiscal health for Heroscape is increasing offerings. He then elaborated on the new offerings they are making and said they were looking into others. Isn't that enough to assure us that Scape is doing just fine? What exactly are you looking to find out jcb?

Product placement is another indicator of how something is doing. Although there are 5 sets of wave 5 parked in every WM, they are on the middle "eye level" shelf, not stuffed on the top or bottom. Walmart is pushing this product by placing it at that location. This is a good sign for HS.

Hahnarama
February 4th, 2007, 10:35 AM

Your on :P I shoulda made this bet last time with ya when you said the castles would not be released there either :wink: ...Then you'd owe me two beers :lol:

Coulda, shoulda, woulda......all I am hearing is jibba jabba fool! :P

Maybe, just maybe, having Scape under the WotC umbrella might be a good thing. WotC always has LOTS of product to sell @ GC :gencon: Maybe they will bring 500+ SotM sets and not the meager offerings they have had in years past.

Sweetcurse
February 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM
I was thinking about the new MS and I really believe that we will see Raelin and Drake again at least. They are pretty prominent in all the commercials and webisodes and would be a waste to just forget them. With a new MS, Rise of the Valkyrie will probably stop being available. So then the only place to get those prominent heroes is Swarm. My extra :2cents: on the matter.

I also think they will have the exact same stats and powers but just new sculpts.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
February 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
With a new MS, Rise of the Valkyrie will probably stop being available. So then the only place to get those prominent heroes is Swarm. My extra :2cents: on the matter.
Re-issue some sparkly, too?

Sweetcurse
February 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM
With a new MS, Rise of the Valkyrie will probably stop being available. So then the only place to get those prominent heroes is Swarm. My extra :2cents: on the matter.
Re-issue some sparkly, too?

Read my mind.

theats
February 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
is it too far fetched to expect some marro scenary for the swarm of the marro master set?

GaryLASQ
February 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Gary, I have one other suggestion concerning the extra figures, cards, dice & markers that one accumulates with owning multiple sets. I have given them to other potential HS gamers… just one MS worth of figures gives them several cards to digest and hopefully some excitement to build an army and try it out. Some future players are really strapped for cash and would like the game but just can’t afford to own…. They are really appreciative to have the extra guts of a MS to take back home and learn game and build armies.excellent idea. the extra MS set figures and cards could easily be give away stuff to my son's friends that show interest in the game.

happyjosiah
February 4th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Downloading now! Giggle giggle! :D

theats
February 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
no coments on my marro buildings/ruins in the new master set?

Taelord
February 4th, 2007, 09:06 PM
no coments on my marro buildings/ruins in the new master set?
Sounds cool, but I doubt it.

Kepler
February 5th, 2007, 11:35 AM
The new master set thing leaves me with a few questions. I assume the old master set will be discontinued when the new one comes out (old master sets on clearance :) ).

So what would we want to remove from the old MS to make room for new stuff? Are Izumi Samurai replaceable now that we have Kosuki and Tagawa? Can Carr and the KM Agents go since they don't have synergies with any other units? How about the AE?

Are any figs removed from the old MS going to be our first discontinued figs? If so, then will the older waves start being retired? Are they really going to keep 7+ expansions (plus the 0.5 expansions) in print?

I have faith that the Hasbro team will have good answers to these questions. It should be interesting.

Doc_Savage
February 5th, 2007, 02:38 PM

I thought I was - I could go for work - BUT we had scheduled to go to Cheyenne Frontier Days - same time as Comic Con, so others will need to get the pics?

It would be nice to have 2 years in a row with the same website....

Who got the good scoop at comic con last year...

truth
February 5th, 2007, 02:45 PM

I thought I was - I could go for work - BUT we had scheduled to go to Cheyenne Frontier Days - same time as Comic Con, so others will need to get the pics?

You and Oogie.

Doc_Savage
February 5th, 2007, 02:55 PM

You and Oogie.

Truth - I haven't read an answer to the question...

Did you take the picture of Craig?

truth
February 5th, 2007, 03:25 PM

You and Oogie.

Truth - I haven't read an answer to the question...

Did you take the picture of Craig?

No Sir. I had Craig send me one.

Screaming Eagle
February 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I bet that there will be new marro heroes, but that's not all. I bet, there will be about three cards from each general, including marro stuff. Maybe a jandar marro (like if a civil war is going on)

$E

theats
February 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM
i doubt it, the marro are all for utgar, i believe. mabey some weaker, common marro clones...

yagyuninja
February 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM
...Maybe a jandar marro (like if a civil war is going on)

Hey, that's totally a possibility. I think that would be pretty awesome too. It does kind of seem like humans are the only race that are going to get spread among the generals. Here's hoping, though... :)

yagyuninja
February 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM
EDIT: My first double post...how precious.

theats
February 5th, 2007, 06:30 PM
i can see some corrupted elvesa for utgar.

truth
February 5th, 2007, 08:24 PM

That could be really cool. Perhaps an Elf councilor sells out to the Anubians.

Taelord
February 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM

You mean aubrien? :razz:

truth
February 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM

You mean aubrien? :razz:

Nope why would he sell out to allies? When you sell out you sell out to enemies.

Jeabird
February 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
HS ~ KNT
“Any type of Penguin/Bird unit I would LOVE! Rocs, Giant eagles, Falcon companions for some up-coming unit, destructible chickens, I don't care! ”

I agree. I made a bird hero out of one of those final fantasy riding birds. This really has me stoked. I hope for the old water tiles too. I also hope for different agents and maybe cyborgs. I also made a Buckbeak hero from a HarryPotter mini from the now dead boardgame.

Buddy Lee
February 6th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Let's see.

Penquins with machine guns (kinda makes me wish I had my old avatar back). Boy, that's gonna be expensive. Considering the $200 ATF tax for each, FFL Transfers, shipping and insurance, and depending upon the weapon around $10,000 to $15,000 for each gun (if you can find them)...all in a, probably, squad of three... God help us if they're common.

C'mon, you can't feed me something like "PENGUINS WITH MACHINEGUNS" and not expect me to respond like this. :D

:wink:

Buddy Lee

Jaz1597
February 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
It does kind of seem like humans are the only race that are going to get spread among the generals. Here's hoping, though... :)

That's because humans are the only species who would betray their own kind... :oops:

bad_calvin
February 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
It does kind of seem like humans are the only race that are going to get spread among the generals. Here's hoping, though... :)

That's because humans are the only species who would betray their own kind... :oops:

Now you sound like George Carlin.

Finrod
February 6th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Not true. We have dragons spread among the generals.

We also have undead serving both Utgar and Vydar.

Buddy Lee
February 6th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Not true. We have dragons spread among the generals.

We also have undead serving both Utgar and Vydar.

Soulborgs as well (Utgar, Jandar, Vydar).

Buddy Lee

skyknight
February 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Yep and don't forget the Soulborgs either Buddy Lee :lol:

bad_calvin
February 6th, 2007, 10:40 AM
and Krie.

You know what we need.. We need some marro good guys. :)
I think I will cut of the heads of the marro, and the agents and swap them.
That way they look "nicer".

Buddy Lee
February 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
and Krie.

Yeah, but aren't Kyrie a given since the battles are taking place on their homeworld, and commanded by Kyrie Generals?

Just sayin'.

Buddy Lee

markwars
February 6th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Did he mean Kyrie or Kree?

bad_calvin
February 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM

I need to just start spelling phonically. (not sure if I speeled that right either)

donut
aple
Kree
bolonee

Buddy Lee
February 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Jaffa! KREE !!

Buddy Lee

markwars
February 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM

I need to just start spelling phonically. (not sure if I speeled that right either)

donut
aple
Kree
bolonee

phonetically

Jaz1597
February 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hmm...well I'm not sure that Soulborgs or Undead are truly species...

But I'll give you Dragons and Kyrie!

And I hate to beat a dead horse (can't find emoticon)...but "spelled" is not spelled "speeled", b_c. :wink:

jcb231
February 8th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Hey, that's totally a possibility. I think that would be pretty awesome too. It does kind of seem like humans are the only race that are going to get spread among the generals. Here's hoping, though... :)

I think that non-human species should definately be split up between different generals. They did this only with the Kyrie and Dragons so far. Undead and Soulborgs have been split up but those are less cohesive seeming "species" I think. The heading of Undead can contain a huge array of different creatures, from ghosts to mummies to vampires to zombies to skeletons and beyond.

I think the Warriors of Ashra would have made cool Einar Elves....imagine if Ullar had the more traditional magical woodland elves like Legolas...er Syvaris and the Aubriens and Morsbane, Einar had the wilder warrior types like the Ashras, and Utgar had some evil dark elves with black magic. I think that would fit nicely.

I think there could be a fun Artic Trollticor...a shaggy white version of Brunak for Jandar. Maybe he has snow movement like the Dzu-tehs, Carry, and some sort of special attack. The cold version of Brunak, fighting for good against his evil cousin from the firey lands. Or maybe an offshoot of the Vipers that fight for Vydar? Perhaps some purple or blue-tinged venomous creatures that can poison figures or spit acid.

markwars
February 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM

I think that non-human species should definately be split up between different generals. They did this only with the Kyrie and Dragons so far. Undead and Soulborgs have been split up but those are less cohesive seeming "species" I think. The heading of Undead can contain a huge array of different creatures, from ghosts to mummies to vampires to zombies to skeletons and beyond.

I think the Warriors of Ashra would have made cool Einar Elves....imagine if Ullar had the more traditional magical woodland elves like Legolas...er Syvaris and the Aubriens and Morsbane, Einar had the wilder warrior types like the Ashras, and Utgar had some evil dark elves with black magic. I think that would fit nicely.

I think there could be a fun Artic Trollticor...a shaggy white version of Brunak for Jandar. Maybe he has snow movement like the Dzu-tehs, Carry, and some sort of special attack. The cold version of Brunak, fighting for good against his evil cousin from the firey lands. Or maybe an offshoot of the Vipers that fight for Vydar? Perhaps some purple or blue-tinged venomous creatures that can poison figures or spit acid.

I love your ideas for elves and the Arctic Trollticor, but I want all of the Orcs to follow Utgar.

jcb231
February 9th, 2007, 07:25 PM

I love your ideas for elves and the Arctic Trollticor, but I want all of the Orcs to follow Utgar.

Me too. I think that's the one faction I really don't want split up. I just want all the Orcs in the universe to be in one big horde army.

I like Orcs. A lot.

No, David, No
February 11th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Great interview!

...AND TAELORD COSTS TOO MUCH!

http://fruswapper.googlepages.com/newtaelordcosttoomuchNEWVERSIONSMALL.gif

Talos
October 17th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Sorry for necro-ing :reaper: this thread, I lost my MP3 copy of this file, and the links are broken on the 1st page. Any chance of getting it put right?

Hahnarama
October 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just "I-tunes" it.

truth
October 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure how this happened. I'll work on getting it back up.

truth
October 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Should be fixed now.

Talos
October 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks Truth, it seems to be downloading properly now. 8)

The 'Tom Vasel Talks the Dice Tower' file is not working either. :(

truth
October 17th, 2007, 08:36 PM
The Tom Vasel Episode is working fine for me.

Talos
October 17th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I've tried downloading it twice and I get a 1kb file. It came down off iTunes without a problem, but boy is that a confusing piece of software if you have never looked at it before... :shock: