PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at making a custom

Drake_Albion
February 21st, 2020, 10:10 AM
Hello all, first time poster, very long-time lurker. (Even though I only signed up recently.) I have little experience playing HS, but do have a decent amount of creativity. As such, here are a few customs I've spent some time on. All use D&D Minis, because I have way too many of those.
Arkron Firescale (Half-red Dragon Fighter Mini)

https://i.imgur.com/vDL8SPP.png

Logic behind this Hero: I wanted to make a middle of the road Hero for my first custom. His Lava Resistance is a minor ability, reflecting his red dragon heritage, so I thought it made sense to make him able to get into fights others might balk at. For the Climb Ability, I just thought it would help him get to the fight faster in a hilly map. His attack is a bit high, but has middling defense and no way to attack more than once at the moment.

Cloudwalker (Astral Giant Mini)
https://i.imgur.com/3M15u0b.png

Logic behind this Hero: I wanted a Jandar Giant that seemed like he was very against Utgar, and is almost a reskin of Jotun. I added Phantom Walk because he has no legs on his model. As a Giant, he has good attack and other stats, specifically his Range. It's high because he has a spear, which usually has a form of reach in other games. Please help, he's not that developed.

Oozymandias (Gelatinous Cube 5E edition)

https://i.imgur.com/HguxIJq.png

It's a gelatinous cube. What needs saying?

I have a couple others in the back burners that are being developed, and if I'm on the right track in designing, please tell me. Any feedback is welcome.
-Drake

Lazy Orang
February 21st, 2020, 11:38 AM
Hello, chap! Welcome! :) Not bad for a first attempt.

Arkron Firescale: 90% of the time, this guy's essentially a stat-block with no powers. Lava Resistant is only going to be important on Lava maps, and Climb x2 is basically meaningless (all it means is that he can climb up larger height inclines, not a move boost when doing so - basically, it's given to Small characters so height changes of 3 or so don't stump them. Height differences equal to or larger than his height of 5 would be rare and, with his move, he wouldn't have the movement points to scale them anyway without some form of movement boost). Given his lack of anything special going on, he's also a bit overpriced - compare with Crixus, who's 5 points less, has identical stats save for 1 less Life, and has One Shield Defence, a fairly awesome ability. Being Valiant might make him stand out as an option for a heavy hitting brawler in 4th Mass builds, but even then, RotV Drake is only 15 points more and significantly better most of the time thanks to Thorian Speed. It's a good start, but I'd suggest thinking about what you really want this unit/character to be.
Cloudwalker: An okay start. Phantom Walk makes him feel like he'd be good at slipping through enemy screens and assassinating key targets, but his poor movement of 4 makes him a questionable choice for that. Righteous Smite certainly makes him excellent against Utgar-targets, to the point that I'd consider him an out-and-out counterdraft against big, scary Utgar heroes like the Ork Champions, Marro Hivelords, Cyprien and Brunak. The range of 2 to represent the spear is a good idea, but may be better represented by using Reach off the Fen Hydra. Also, is it intended that he can bond with the Death Knights of Valkrill? No issues if it is, but seems a little strange thematically.
Oozymandias: Perhaps the most interesting design here. 5 Life, 6 Defence and Hide In Darkness (which I don't quite get the theme of, but then I'm not familar with 5e D&D or really gelatinous cubes in particular) will make this guy one frustrating figure to claw through. However, only a single, good-side-of average attack and an unprecedentedly low movement of 3 make it a questionable offensive choice. Would make for an excellent roadblock/defender, if you can set him up to be, which, again, that movement makes difficult. Interesting design that I'd struggle to know how to play, there.

One last thing - don't be afraid to come up with your own powers! :) I see they're all reused off other cards right now, and while there's nothing wrong with mixing existing powers in interesting ways with different stats to make something new (it can actually be an interesting excerise to see how creative you can be without making a new power every now and then), there's also nothing wrong with coming up with your own abilities, and that could quite possibly help some of these be a bit more distinct and interesting.
All in all, a bit on the rough side, but not bad at all for a first attempt! Keep creating - with some experience and confidence you really come into your own! :)

Unhinged Manchild
February 21st, 2020, 11:46 AM
Fellow NY’er! If you are ever interested in playing with a small group of Heroscapers in Buffalo, hit me up!

For your custom heroes; I’ll start by saying that they appear to be slightly overcosted, at least IMO. Arkron might actually be at a decent price, but the other two have terrible movement and no real ability to threaten much maybe outside of cloudwalker’s strength against utgar high life/defense heroes.

Unless they bond (I’m not seeing/remembering if/how they do?) their terrible movement is going to cost too many OMs. To compound, they won’t likely have the damage output to be worth it to activate them anywhere except endgame.

Perhaps give cloudwalker stealth flying and more range or something like Master of the Hunt’s Javelin power so he can boost his range? Would fit the theme a bit and give him slightly added mobility/intimidation factor that he sorely needs.

Oozymandias is just in a weird spot... he appears to be a figure that I want to drop in a choke spot to hold it down for me, but getting him to move any reasonable distance means he will probably either not beat the other army there, or he will be smashed to bits by the time I can begin to dig into my defensive spot with range.

Anyway, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I don’t claim my suggestions to be 100% correct, but hopefully others will chime in and give you more ideas or tell you if I’m off my rocker.

Dad_Scaper
February 21st, 2020, 02:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

I've only looked at Akron, and I have to run, but I wanted to write down my thoughts.

I applaud both the restraint in design and in pricing. It's rare in a new designer, and I think it's a sign of maturity. Excellent.

I think if you want mobility here, you can drop Climb and bump Move to 6. Climb on a figure with a height of 5 is interesting, and I can envision a unit where it would be appropriate, but that's not this one. It would only be used situationally, and would need to be deeply connected to the theme of the design. Which does not appear to be the case here.

With Lava Resistant as the only remaining power, I would consider adding something thematic for him as a Dragonborn fighter. I leave it to you to consider what might work best there. Breath Weapon is an obvious choice, but perhaps it's so obvious that it would be more fun to consider something different.

Drake_Albion
February 21st, 2020, 02:32 PM
Hello, chap! Welcome! :) Not bad for a first attempt.

Arkron Firescale: 90% of the time, this guy's essentially a stat-block with no powers. Lava Resistant is only going to be important on Lava maps, and Climb x2 is basically meaningless (all it means is that he can climb up larger height inclines, not a move boost when doing so - basically, it's given to Small characters so height changes of 3 or so don't stump them. Height differences equal to or larger than his height of 5 would be rare and, with his move, he wouldn't have the movement points to scale them anyway without some form of movement boost). Given his lack of anything special going on, he's also a bit overpriced - compare with Crixus, who's 5 points less, has identical stats save for 1 less Life, and has One Shield Defence, a fairly awesome ability. Being Valiant might make him stand out as an option for a heavy hitting brawler in 4th Mass builds, but even then, RotV Drake is only 15 points more and significantly better most of the time thanks to Thorian Speed. It's a good start, but I'd suggest thinking about what you really want this unit/character to be.
Cloudwalker: An okay start. Phantom Walk makes him feel like he'd be good at slipping through enemy screens and assassinating key targets, but his poor movement of 4 makes him a questionable choice for that. Righteous Smite certainly makes him excellent against Utgar-targets, to the point that I'd consider him an out-and-out counterdraft against big, scary Utgar heroes like the Ork Champions, Marro Hivelords, Cyprien and Brunak. The range of 2 to represent the spear is a good idea, but may be better represented by using Reach off the Fen Hydra. Also, is it intended that he can bond with the Death Knights of Valkrill? No issues if it is, but seems a little strange thematically.
Oozymandias: Perhaps the most interesting design here. 5 Life, 6 Defence and Hide In Darkness (which I don't quite get the theme of, but then I'm not familar with 5e D&D or really gelatinous cubes in particular) will make this guy one frustrating figure to claw through. However, only a single, good-side-of average attack and an unprecedentedly low movement of 3 make it a questionable offensive choice. Would make for an excellent roadblock/defender, if you can set him up to be, which, again, that movement makes difficult. Interesting design that I'd struggle to know how to play, there.

One last thing - don't be afraid to come up with your own powers! :) I see they're all reused off other cards right now, and while there's nothing wrong with mixing existing powers in interesting ways with different stats to make something new (it can actually be an interesting excerise to see how creative you can be without making a new power every now and then), there's also nothing wrong with coming up with your own abilities, and that could quite possibly help some of these be a bit more distinct and interesting.
All in all, a bit on the rough side, but not bad at all for a first attempt! Keep creating - with some experience and confidence you really come into your own! :)

Alright, sounds good. I can definitely improve on them.

Fellow NY’er! If you are ever interested in playing with a small group of Heroscapers in Buffalo, hit me up!

For your custom heroes; I’ll start by saying that they appear to be slightly overcosted, at least IMO. Arkron might actually be at a decent price, but the other two have terrible movement and no real ability to threaten much maybe outside of cloudwalker’s strength against utgar high life/defense heroes.

Unless they bond (I’m not seeing/remembering if/how they do?) their terrible movement is going to cost too many OMs. To compound, they won’t likely have the damage output to be worth it to activate them anywhere except endgame.

Perhaps give cloudwalker stealth flying and more range or something like Master of the Hunt’s Javelin power so he can boost his range? Would fit the theme a bit and give him slightly added mobility/intimidation factor that he sorely needs.

Oozymandias is just in a weird spot... he appears to be a figure that I want to drop in a choke spot to hold it down for me, but getting him to move any reasonable distance means he will probably either not beat the other army there, or he will be smashed to bits by the time I can begin to dig into my defensive spot with range.

Anyway, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I don’t claim my suggestions to be 100% correct, but hopefully others will chime in and give you more ideas or tell you if I’m off my rocker.

Yeah, Oozy is/was just a practice round. I can certainly tweak him. Cloudwalker can be fixed. Arkron was the first build, so it's unsurprising he came up short.

Welcome aboard!

I've only looked at Akron, and I have to run, but I wanted to write down my thoughts.

I applaud both the restraint in design and in pricing. It's rare in a new designer, and I think it's a sign of maturity. Excellent.

I think if you want mobility here, you can drop Climb and bump Move to 6. Climb on a figure with a height of 5 is interesting, and I can envision a unit where it would be appropriate, but that's not this one. It would only be used situationally, and would need to be deeply connected to the theme of the design. Which does not appear to be the case here.

With Lava Resistant as the only remaining power, I would consider adding something thematic for him as a Dragonborn fighter. I leave it to you to consider what might work best there. Breath Weapon is an obvious choice, but perhaps it's so obvious that it would be more fun to consider something different.

Sounds fine to me.

Tornado
February 21st, 2020, 02:40 PM
Welcome.
Great restraint.
Would love to see the Cube have some sort of Absorbtion power where a figure is placed on the Cube's card and needs to be cut out.

lefton4ya
February 21st, 2020, 02:47 PM
Welcome Drake_Albion, and thanks for taking the time to make these customs and post in your 1st post, reminiscent of my first post (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=731797) 11.5 years ago (wow the time flies!)

I agree with most of Lazy Orang & brandonwiker's comments. I do like them overall, but don't be afraid to add some variety. Arkron Firescale can use some speed boost maybe, such as Charging Assault from Kozuke Samurai. Cloudwalker can use reach from Fen Hydra or Cathar Spearmen (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=48054). Oozymandias needs some extra move as well to prevent opponents from kiting you, maybe a take on Gain High ground such as:
After revealing an order marker, before taking a turn, you may move each Oozymandias up to 1 space. This space may be up to 4 levels higher..

Drake_Albion
February 21st, 2020, 03:02 PM
UPDATE! I do great turn around repairs! https://i.imgur.com/OVRU9KH.png

https://i.imgur.com/iZ0c3a6.png

Are these any better folks? I didn't touch points, I really don't understand the values yet.
-Drake

Taeblewalker
February 21st, 2020, 03:04 PM
For the cube, you might want to look at what we did in Heroes of Fiction (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=54243&page=3)for the Blob.

Tornado
February 21st, 2020, 03:33 PM
Love that Blob design. HoF love.

TREX
February 21st, 2020, 06:53 PM
Welcome to not lurking, posting customs to have other eyes help you tweak the customs is generally the recipe for a better unit. I like your updated dragon born, it has more flavor. I used to think the same thing about climb x2. After finding out what it actually does it is a bit boring.
My biggest piece of advice when making customs is to not put a price tag on their points first. Take a miniature, imagine what you would want that figure to do. Then give the figure abilities representing what it is you want him to do. Theme is one of the most attractive things to custom making for me, and is important for making an interesting character. After realizing what you want your figure to do. Simplify the design. What Im saying is dont make them too complex. If you have more than 3 abilities on the card its probably too much. Also check the existing abilities for areas that could be a simple reuse of a classic power( you know this already). Once its to a good point is when you throw a price tag on it. When costing units, think of similar units of the same price point and how well they would do against it. Start there and after testing you can adjust your cost. The gelantinus cube is a beast. Up to 8 defense on water with 5 life and up to 3 range with 4 attack. Killing this thing will be very hard and I cant imagine playing as it or against it would be terribly fun. Judging whether the unit will be fun to play or play against are big factors to me as well. Reusing the fen hydras reach ability extending it to 3 spaces would be more fun. As far as the amphibious ability I would allow it to not stop when crossing water. A more exciting ability foe a gelatinous cube would be its properties of grabbing onto an enemy and making it vulnerable. Welcome again, and most of all, have fun with it. If its not fun, is it worth it?:)

Drake_Albion
February 21st, 2020, 07:19 PM
https://i.imgur.com/a7QMiTj.png

Thoughts? This one is a bit weird. I based it off Raelin 1, sort of. The goal is to leap in and leap out of melee. Uses the Angel of Vengeance mIni.

TREX
February 21st, 2020, 07:30 PM

Thoughts? This one is a bit weird. I based it off Raelin 1, sort of. The goal is to leap in and leap out of melee. Uses the Angel of Vengeance mIni.
Taelord does similar things for about triple the points. With this being uncommon it could stack attack auras. Its very broken.

Drake_Albion
February 21st, 2020, 07:35 PM

Taelord does similar things for about triple the points. With this being uncommon it could stack attack auras. Its very broken.
Oh. I guess it won't see the light of day then. Never mind this chap.

Lazy Orang
February 22nd, 2020, 04:58 AM

Oh. I guess it won't see the light of day then. Never mind this chap.
It's an interesting idea. If you got rid of the stacking and made the boost melee only, it could probably work pretty well (though may still need a small price bump). 2 Life also makes him far easier to assassinate than Taelord or Raelin, even with the higher defence.
Also, Taelord costs too much anyway. :)

Drake_Albion
February 25th, 2020, 10:07 AM
At the moment, most of these Heroes do not have hitboxes. This is intentional, because they are just in the testing phase, and it takes me some time to do the hitboxes.

https://i.imgur.com/8kkPNS4.png

Great Maw: Grimnak is fun, and Brunak is as well. Let's combine the two and use a dinosaur! I feel that his attack might be a trifle high.

Uses the Fiendish Tyrannosaurus Mini.

https://i.imgur.com/XejGTye.png

King Frostaxe: Basically a Ice Giant with too much power. Range and attack are a bit high. Needs balancing.
Uses the Frost Titan Mini.

https://i.imgur.com/nVhZmN4.png

Magma Elemental: Basically a big solo Obsidian Guard with a ranged special attack. Points are too low, I know. Should also be weak to water. Whoops. Uses the Rockfire Dreadnought mini.

https://i.imgur.com/xtlWnjx.png

Old Choppa: I'd add some sort of regen ability, but I feel that this a good medium between super strong and a squad slayer. Also the Troll charge is just funny to me somehow.
Uses the Skalmad, the Troll King Mini

TREX
February 25th, 2020, 03:26 PM
I really like the great maw card. Honestly though getting to chomp and have an attack of 5 in the same turn is pretty good. The reason grimnak gets to chomp and attack is: the dino is chomping and the orc is attacking with a 2. Id say chomp or attack and then lower points to 100 to 110. Carry is great too. I made a card almost identical to this at one point in time with a grimnak dino without the rider. Another idea would be rider bonding and scratch the regular attack stat.