PDA

View Full Version : So I want to get in to Mage Knight...

Bothi
July 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
From what I am seeing, this is a dead/out of print game, but I have heard a lot of love surrounding it. I was browsing amazon when I saw this (http://www.amazon.com/Mage-Knight-Rebellion-Starter-Figures/dp/B00005R2GM/ref=pd_sim_t_1) and figured it was too good to be true, at only $2+SaH. Is this enough to start playing? About how much will it cost to get in to Mage Knight? Where would you recommend me to shop for Mage Knight? Is it as good as 'Scape? Better? All help is greatly appreciated.

-B

Jim
July 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM
I was never a bog 'Clix fan because mostof the powers on the dials are color codes, and I'm color blind, so I can't tell some of them apart.

Also, there was Mage Knight 1.0, which was completely made obsolete by Mage Knight 2.0, so you would want to research which version any particular set you may purchase is from.

Another thing was that is was a collectable game, so that was another strike against it from me.

There is always the Mage Knight Boardgame that recently was released, which is not really part of the Mage Knight miniatures line, and is supposed to be a very good game.

MegaSilver
July 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
You also have 3 versions of each figure: Rookie, Expericenced, and Expert. It carried over of a short time to HeroClix, who thankfully stopped doing that.

HeroScape is always better, you should know that. ;)

screwDriver
July 3rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
Alternatively, you might also want to check out HeroClix. It shares the same game mechanics as Mage Knight and is still very active. HeroClix are centered on the superhero/villain figures just as Mage Knight deals in fantasy and steam punk figures.

As for where to shop, check out Troll and Toad. You're Amazon link is actually from that store too.

Bothi
July 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Ok, thank you everyone. I have thought about Heroclix, but I really do not like Superhero themes in games.

kboleen
July 28th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Here's a great site of Mage Knight resources. Also, look into MK Dungeons. It was by far better than regular MK. There is even a ruleset for converting square based MK into hex base to use with HS tiles.

http://www.mkrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559985