PDA

View Full Version : Capital City Carnage report

Jormi_Boced
June 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I decided to attend this Indy GT as my wife had been wanting to visit her brother in Texas this summer, so I suggested we head down for the week following Capital City Carnage and it worked out great! I have been having success with my Lore of Light Kroxigor list so decided to edit the 2200pt one I played at Dark Conquest for 2500pts.

Slann – Lore of Light
Focus of Mystery
Foused Rumination
Higher State
Becalming Cogitation
Cupped Hands
Plaque of Protection
BSB
Standard of Discipline

Skink Priest
Dispel Scroll
Ironcurse Icon

Saurus Warriors with Spears x24
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer

Saurus Warriors x25
Champion
Musician
Standard Bearer

Skinks x14
Brave
Musician
Standard Bearer

Kroxigors x6

Kroxigors x6

Kroxigors x6

Salamander
Extra Handler

Salamander
Extra Handler

I felt real confident with this list as all of my practice games ended up being wins. I was a little nervous as well though as I figured my losses were bound to come eventually and I hoped they wouldn't pile up at the tourney.

Round one saw me matched up against another lizardmen player, Erik Larson from Houston I believe. The scenario was about bats coming out of a bridge and blotting out the sky, so we had hidden deployment and the goal was to hold the bridge in the center at the end of the game. His list was a typical lifestar build. I moved up my Saurus with HW and S to take the bridge. The sides were impassable, so I was hoping that block would be able to hold the bridge with their 4+ AS and 6+WS without needing to be worried about being flanked I figured they would be mostly unstoppable. The slann moved up near the back corner of the bridge while the rest of my army got in the river. I he had a his TG and Saurus in horde formation, so I moved my Saurus up to about an inch away from the bridge edge to that he had to reform to hit my saurus. Also this left his back end hanging out for my krox to flank. We ended up calling the game when he was down to a hanful of TG and his slann. I had only lost like a salamander and skinks I believe, maybe one krox unit. So I started out the tourney with a big win and full objective points.

Second round I played Billy Robinette's Dark Elves. I believe Billy was from Houston as well. I really hate playing Dark Elves. They just have so many tough as nails options that are pretty cheap. He was running two hydras, a lord on Pegasus, level 4 with shadow and level 1 with metal, he also had 3 cold one chariots a block of spears and a like three units of crossbows. The goal of this game was to control 4 buildings that were not able to be entered, so control was being within an inch of them with a unit of at least 5 models. This game really came down to the wire. The first turn really helped me out in this one when my Slann miscast rolled a 3 and then passed it to his lvl 4 that was then sucked into the void. I felt really good then, but I still had a lot of nasty DE on the other side of the table to worry about. I really thought with the sorceress being down turn one I should have a pretty dominant game and it should have been, but there were a couple of lopsided combats that I should have just dominated, but rolled horrible or he rolled great and that put me back a bit. I think I ended up being up by just shy of 200 pts, so I got another win and we both got 2 bonus pts I believe. So after round 2 I felt pretty good about my 2-0 record and only missing two bonus pts.

Round three I played Jason Johnson ( I think that is the correct name) and I think he was with the Arkansas crew. He brought some nasty Slannesh demons with a couple siren songs. one in a horde of demonettes and one in unit of seekers. He also had a horde of bloodletters and a decent size unit of flamers and two units of Slannesh Fiends. So a lot of things that are pretty fast and hit hard. This scenario we all had a weirdo which was a guy that counted as a champion in one of our units. He had a decent stat line and could invoke a power each turn, but in order to activate the power you had to do something weird, like write and recite a poem about your opponent's demise or make a crayon drawing showing your opponent's defeat. The objective was too keep your weirdo alive and kill your opponents. I don't remember a lot about this game, but Jason bought me a beer during it and I got him one too and he was a lot of fun and a good opponent. We had one rough part in the game where it was tough to determine if I was in the flank or front of one of the units. I had just combat reformed them, so I probably should have had him look at it while I was doing it and make sure there was no contention as I could have set them at an angle to make it not an issue at all, but we ended up rolling for it and the roll went in my favor. We both did a lot of killing and I don't think either of us had much remaining on the board, but I had the win and we both had two objective pts.

So at the end of day one I was sitting at 3-0 with 8 of the 12 objective pts. I felt pretty good about that.

The first game of day 4 I played against a good WoC player from Houston. Tim Faegin I believe his name was, but I am bad with names. He had two hordes of marauders with MoK and GWs. He had one unit of Tzeentch Warriors with HW&S and one with Halberds as well a two hellcannons a BSB and a Heavens Sorcerer on foot. This game we had to nominate one of our musicians to be a band leader and each turn he could pick a song that would give some benefit to one of your units. This game was another bloodfest with both of us getting into massive melees and lots of deaths. Unfortunately time was called during my last turn. Most tourneys I have been too you get to play out the full round, so you don't get cheated out of a turn, but unfortunately that wasn't the case here, as I think I would have taken out his very weakened generals unit if we had got to the combat phase. As it stood it was a draw as I was up by only like 60pts. If I would have gotten a chance to finish of that unit I would have won:( I think we each got 2 bonus pts. So going into the final game I was at a very respectable 3-0-1 with 10 of 16 objective pts.

So for the final game I was on table 3 facing Brian Moyer's Lizardmen. On Table two were Billy Robinette and Jason Johnson whom I had both previously played and beat and table one had Tim Faegin who I had just drawn with. I think I must have had the toughest schedule of the tourney looking at that. Going all the way to Austin TX I figured I would have all new opponents, but that didn't end up being the case as I had played Brian Moyer at Northstar. Being that he is the number one Lizardmen general I figured I was in for a tough game. He was playing his ETC list, so due to the restrictions I though he had pretty friendly list and thought mine was probably a bit tougher, so was hoping that would see me through. Turn one I miscast with my toad and roll the nasty 3 and am about ready to be a big jerk and suck his toad into the warp, but the cupped hands backfired on me as I rolled the one and I sucked my own toad into the warp. Oooops:) He then backed up a bit as he was now up 700 pts:) I got in some combat with him, but couldn't beat his units backed by lore of light without my own magic and ended up just taking a couple of my objectives to end the game with a loss and 2 bonus pts.

I wasn't sure where that would put me in the pts, but I was hoping I could still maybe get a plaque of some sort since they were all nice. Alas that wasn't to be and I placed just a bit ouside of the plaques. I did however win a couple Reaper models from the door prize pool and got 3rd in the conversion contest for which I got a bitz box with a ton of bits. My crayon drawing got me another Reaper blister and I answered a quiz question to get a cool movement tray prop to keep your models standing on a hill or other piece of terrain.

I had a great time and would like to make it back, but being 17 hrs away will make that hard. Hopefully sometime though.

BOOM!
October 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
So many Chaos players, aren't there?? Annoying versatile buggers too. Anyway, looks like you did well in the war! Glory and honor for you! And I never thought that a Slaan with the lore of light would be all that effective. Well you showed us it can! I personally play a Dwarven army but I still like to dabble in other armies, especially the ones with powerful mages.

Jormi_Boced
October 1st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I think Lore of Light is a really synergistic lore for lizards as it comeplete negates their weakness low WS and low I. Life is also really good for them, but it is good for everyone that cant take it. I have also had success with Shadow and am currently trying to perfect a Death list.

BOOM!
November 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Really!? Life of all things? Intriguing I'll have to try that! I've always liked Slaan with Lore of Metal my self but maybe I need to expand my horizons! Thanks bud.

"BOOOM!"

Jormi_Boced
November 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, Metal is ok, but the scaly skin spell doesn't stack and some of the spells are fairly situational. I see it as a better lore if I have two slanns.