PDA

View Full Version : Skyknight needs help

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Hey guys I have a question. Have you ever been sitting around and started to remember some game or book out of your past very vaguely. I did this one time in college with the Book a Wrinkle in Time and three of us pieced everything we knew about it together though not one of us had certain memories or had thought about it in a long time. Almost like it did not exist but we new better.

Anyways there was a game when I was a kid, I think it was before Heroquest. I do not remember much except that I had fun as a kid playing it and I want to see if it may be on ebay.

It was a war game, I think the colors of the pieces were red and blue...possibly yellow plastic. There were tons of pieces, I remeber calvary and I think archers. There was a large base to fit like five or six minis on each one so they moved as a squad, if they got hit you removed a fig from the base. It also had a giant plastic map I think to do your battles on. I know this is very vague but so is my recollection of this game. Any help would be great.

LilNewbie
October 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Battlemasters?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/700

Newb.

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM
TTTHHHAAAATTTTTSSSSS IIITTT.

Great job LILNEWB, man I forgot all about that game. I just remeber it was a pretty fun game. Thanks a bunch, now to find a complete version of it.

LilNewbie
October 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Glad to help! It is a great game! Just need a big table for the vinyl map but with most HSers that shouldn't be a problem. :D

Newb.

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I have no idea what even happened to my game. Those college days are a bit foggy I guess. :smile:

K/H_Addict
October 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Anyways there was a game when I was a kid, I think it was before Heroquest.

This, this right here, is where i walk away from this conversation...

netherspirit
October 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
$30+15 shipping on eBay

http://tinyurl.com/yzuzo5

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 12:12 PM
:? HUH, do you mean I am old???

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Cool thanks Nether, I have to talk the wife into it. Have you ever played it???

netherspirit
October 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Nope, but it looks interesting.

Its cheaper than I would have thought it would have been, so I might pick it up.

K/H_Addict
October 18th, 2006, 12:16 PM
:? HUH, do you mean I am old???

Did i ever say that? No! I didn't even know a game called heroquest existed until HQ's days. I stil don't really know what it is, nor do i really care, so i'll pass on googling it (coughNETHERcough)

boom
October 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Cool thanks Nether, I have to talk the wife into it. Have you ever played it???

The combat mechanics are very similiar to Heroscape, IIRC. Attacker rolls attack dice and needs skulls or something to hit. Defender rolls defense dice and needs shields to block hits. Anything through removes a figure. The game also had a cannon that could bounce through multiple squads and damage several figures, if you were lucky. Years ago, when I was heavily into Warhammer, I bought about 5 sets on sale at KBtoys for $10 a set. Sadly, I never got around to painting them and, very sadly, I unloaded them at a yard sale about 10 years ago :cry: .

skyknight
October 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I think that may be what happened to mine, a yard sale. I do remember though that the ogre and cannon were really nasty. And Nether like I said, I would suggest it. Lots and lots of pieces I remember and it was a lot of fun over a few beers.

CupidsArt
October 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
YES! I love this game, I play it every now and again with an old buddy of mine.

It makes you feel like a kid again, the map is so friggan big you almost have to play it on the floor.

It is so close to the simplicity of HS, I think that's why Malechi used the cannon art from it for his custom HS cannon rules.

Wow, I'm gonna' have to get ahold of my buddy so we can get a game in again, :D

I will say this, if you can get ahold of a set where almost nothing is broken and you still have all of the mount riders you are a lucky guy.

Grishnakh
October 18th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Poor Grishnakh even painted a whole set, though not too well. I mounted the figures on individual bases to get them off of those ugly movement trays to. I think I've got five or six sets down in the basement somewhere. And we bought a large piece of green fabric, drew large hexes on that and used it instead of the matt that came with the game. Some of the trees I now use for Heroscape was bought to be used for that game. I still play it with my kids now and then. It can be fun.

Uprising
October 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Fun Game. I used to have it, but my folks got rid of it and some of my other Games when I moved out years ago. It takes up a lot of room, but I thought it was an extremely easy to learn and fast paced game. There were also 2 expansion released for it in Europe I believe. You can find them on E-Bay every once in a while.

Grungebob
October 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I have this game!!

Gabbi
October 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I'm the only one here that doesn't like this game?
not a bad game at all, but sure a very young targeted game, a game with so many lacks that can't be enjoyed by and adult gamer (imho, ofcourse. your enthusiasm demontrates that I can be wrong).

plus, the miniatures were terrible, those beastmen, single pieces with the shield, sometimes haunt my sleep even today...

Malechi
October 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
••• Sky you aren't old, KH is but a mere child ... The game is as old as he is and has been out of print for just as long!!! •••

Anyways there was a game when I was a kid, I think it was before Heroquest.

Incorrect sir, this game Battle Masters was a direct "descendant" of HeroQuest using the basically the same combat dice (just like the ones we use for HeroScape dice version 2). It was HeroQuest Warfare.

$30+15 shipping on eBay

You can get it much cheaper if you look. I bought it a couple years ago, 2 Battle Masters sets (well one and a half as many parts were missing from one) and free shipping as the seller was local to me for grand total of $10.00. You want the game, you don't need the game. So keep a search and wait for a cheap one to come up - just make sure it has all the parts!!!

not a bad game at all, but sure a very young targeted game, a game with so many lacks that can't be enjoyed by and adult gamer (imho, ofcourse. your enthusiasm demontrates that I can be wrong).

plus, the miniatures were terrible, those beastmen, single pieces with the shield, sometimes haunt my sleep even today...

There is a man that just didn't get Battle Masters. My friend, you really need to take a step back when that attitude comes out about a game that is really just a precursor to HeroScape. The only differences being drafting, special abilities and terrain. If you would like an example of why that attitude was just so wrong, try going to your local game store and asking the Warhammer people what they think of HeroScape. A game is only good to those that enjoy it, to the rest it is but a child's toy ...

As for the figures, you need to remember it came out 15 years ago. All figures at that point were the bulked up, steroided out figures with bulked up, steroided out armor and weapons!

reapersaurus
October 18th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I picked it up on EBay years back for like $10.

Gabbi
October 18th, 2006, 05:42 PM

There is a man that just didn't get Battle Masters. My friend, you really need to take a step back when that attitude comes out about a game that is really just a precursor to HeroScape. The only differences being drafting, special abilities and terrain. If you would like an example of why that attitude was just so wrong, try going to your local game store and asking the Warhammer people what they think of HeroScape. A game is only good to those that enjoy it, to the rest it is but a child's toy ...

As for the figures, you need to remember it came out 15 years ago. All figures at that point were the bulked up, steroided out figures with bulked up, steroided out armor and weapons!

Malechi, I'm sorry, but I think I'm unable to fully understand the meaning of your entire post. I can read English quite well, so well that at distance of some days I can't tell If a thing I've read somewhere was in English or Italian, but when comes to sentences too complex, or with "side talking", I'm in difficulty.

so, I'll answer only to the two parts I understand:

A game is only good to those that enjoy it, to the rest it is but a child's toy ...
I disagree with this one. It's true that if you don't like a game you'll judge it worse that deserved, but one thing are personal tastes, another thing are facts. and is a fact that there are good games and bad ones, and there are games for younger kids and games for older people. sure an adult can enjoy a kid game (no shame in it), but some games are expecially designed for kids, and Battle Masters is one of these.

it's a problem of the molds, more than the sculpts. the design is what you described, but then the choice (or the needs) to make the most of them single pieces determined an even lower quality (along with the technology of the time, I suppose).

btw, are you sure BattleMasters is a precursor of HeroScape? here in Europe HeroScape has been released before BattleMasters.

Malechi
October 18th, 2006, 06:05 PM
... It's true that if you don't like a game you'll judge it worse that deserved, but one thing are personal tastes, another thing are facts. and is a fact that there are good games and bad ones, and there are games for younger kids and games for older people. sure an adult can enjoy a kid game (no shame in it), but some games are expecially designed for kids, and Battle Masters is one of these.

So are most games, including HeroScape.

btw, are you sure BattleMasters is a precursor of HeroScape? here in Europe HeroScape has been released before BattleMasters.

Battle Masters was only released in Europe over the last two years?!? It has been out of print for close to 15 years!

If you did not in fact mean HeroScape, but instead mis-typed HeroQuest ... HeroQuest was first released in 1989, Battle Masters was first released in 1992.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
October 18th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I will say this, if you can get ahold of a set where almost nothing is broken and you still have all of the mount riders you are a lucky guy.

Decades from now collectors will say the same thing about the FotA castle sets. "If you can get a hold of a set with the castle wall base clips still intact, you're a lucky guy."

:lol:

Comet5
October 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I just bought a copy of this, great, fun game. Wish I had time to paint all the figs.

Gabbi
October 18th, 2006, 07:30 PM
[quote=Gabbi]If you did not in fact mean HeroScape, but instead mis-typed HeroQuest ... HeroQuest was first released in 1989, Battle Masters was first released in 1992.
yes, sorry, I mean HeroQuest. (more variety in the games names would be appreciated ^^). the odd fact, is that I've read HeroQuest in your post :roll: