PDA

View Full Version : In which we discuss what to do with hotlavadeath.com

Big Simon
May 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Okay... so back when HS.net shut down, there was an immediate scramble to get another community site together. Uranus P. Chicago, I believe, set up a temporary forum at ezboards (I think) where the future of the Heroscape fan presence on the net was discussed. As a result, I purchased the domain "hotlavadeath.com" and started prepping it up to become a community site.

Two hours before I had it ready, Glasswalker appeared and announced the opening of HeroscapeHQ.

Subsequently, I was told that I should not make a community site, since that would divide the Heroscape fanbase, which was seen as a bad thing. So... HLD.com has sat, pretty much unused, for nine months now. Oh, I've tested out some software there and have used to to host images for my online D&D games and the like. But it never got used for anything Heroscape-related.

I had some people make suggestions - storage for HQ images, a webcomic, a site dedicated to customization - but I never acted on any of them (and honestly didn't find any to be options I was willing to work with). Now I've got this domain, am moving to faster servers... and have no clue what I'm going to do with it.

If you have some radical idea - something off the wall - I'd love to hear from you. I wouldn't mind seeing the site used by the Heroscape community for something - that is, something more than just a repository for images, as the domain is far too cool for that kind of limitation.

What do you think?

countblah
May 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Is Homba still there?

truth
May 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Big Simon
hotlavadeath is too freaking cool. I hope to see some good creative uses for the domain presented here.

Big Simon
May 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Is Homba still there?

Nothing is there right now... nothing and nobody.

EDIT: That sounded so forlorn. *chuckle*

truth
May 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Is Homba still there?Nothing is there right now... nothing and nobody.

Not nobody not no how!

Hahnarama
May 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Is Homba still there?

LMAO!!

InfinityMax
May 18th, 2006, 02:28 PM
If you open it back up again, and people go there, I'll go there. I always thought it was cool. But it turned into the place people went when they got too angry with the HQ, and it wasn't really worth doing any more.

What if you devoted HLD to alternate rule sets? We've got custom figs and customs maps coming out our collective bung, but not enough alternate rules, or ways to use the pieces outside just playing HS.

Example: I've made an RPG using HS rules. People are discussing the advanced HEX rules. Grungebob made a set of dungeon rules, and BadCalvin made a very cool set of campaign rules.

HLD could be like the high-brow place where people go to discuss serious alternate rule sets. Entire new games could spring up. This community is cool, but it's scattered in focus, and our creativity seems to be limited to what any of us could do. Discussing rules and whole new games would be intellectually stimulating and could be tons of fun.

If I did this, and it was my site, I would absolutely not allow off-topic threads. No 'General' place to post, no political or religious baggage, just hardcore rules monkeys. It could be like the Forge for people who like Heroscape.

KeeperOfPeace
May 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I would love it if there was more indepth custom rules.

IMax, a PM coming your way.

daevablacc
May 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I think InfinityMax, Manginess, has a good idea here. But I don't know if we want to take that stuff away from here... Hmm...

Runehardt
May 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
It needs to be something that sets it apart from this site. Something that makes it a little unique.

dlaw008
May 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM
What if you devoted HLD to alternate rule sets? We've got custom figs and customs maps coming out our collective bung, but not enough alternate rules, or ways to use the pieces outside just playing HS.

Personally, I like the idea of a 'wonk' or 'mechanics' site. Something where customs (be they figures, rules, terrain, etc.) really are the entirety of the site. Forums should be available only to discuss the custom works. Heroscapers is a nice discussion forum, but another site highlighting downloadable files would be excellent.

I believe that there are probably a lot of people who approach the Heroscape online community only as a method of enhancing their existing games, and who are not interested in becoming a member of a ongoing community discussion. They just want to find new rules, new units, and new terrain; they want to suck it up to their hard drive; and then they want to log off.

Just my .02.
-Doug

InfinityMax
May 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Daev, I want it away from here because here is too diluted. You can discuss anything you want here, which is great, but it also serves to create a total lack of focus. There have been several threads at the HQ that discussed new rules, but they get drowned out in the white noise of the hundred or so other threads going on at the same time.

If HLD was devoted entirely to the really hardcore rules hackers, we could have a lot more ability to focus and get feedback. The people who visited would generally have a lot more to add, because they would be there specifically to discuss the rules.

Of course, there is no reason the sites have to compete. This talk of splitting the community or whatever is complete bunko. That kind of talk does more damage than having two sites. This site can link to that site, and vice verse. When a rule set is deemed ready for the public, it can be posted here and archived there. I know I can't be the only person capable of directing my browser to more than one site a day.

ninthdoc
May 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I agree completely. HLD would be an excellent place to devote to serious re-workings of rules and game variants. reaper's Bizzarro Project, Imax's RPG, Mal's Quests of HS, Mal and maxo-texas's Mechscape.

I think making it a site devoted to serious development of variants would be a great idea and make it stand out from other HS sites. Plus, IMO, the very name of the place hearkens back to a variant of HS of sorts. Remember, "Hot Lava Death" was covered up by white tape when the VW was released.

netherspirit
May 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM
What about a place to handle the Vassal Virtual Vahalla stuff?

Jason
May 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I totally disagree about it being "bad" to have multiple sites. If I am a Hasbro executive I'd conclude that a product that lead to 10 created fan sites was more popular than a product with only 1. Similarly if I was a consumer wanting to get into a game that was fun but also popular, I'd dismiss a game that had only 1 fan site thinking "how good can it be with only 1 real fan site"

truth
May 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Whatever you decide to do with it, so long as it's well maintained I'll throw my support behind it with an easy to find link if you'll do the same back. But I would think it for the best if it were to be a forum that it be a focused forum like others are suggesting. So that we donít have two great sites serving the exact same purposeÖ just seems like a waste of effort when if a forum site is what you wanted to help with I could always bring you on staff here (pending the otherís approval).

truth
May 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
I totally disagree about it being "bad" to have multiple sites. If I am a Hasbro executive I'd conclude that a product that lead to 10 created fan sites was more popular than a product with only 1. Similarly if I was a consumer wanting to get into a game that was fun but also popular, I'd dismiss a game that had only 1 fan site thinking "how good can it be with only 1 real fan site"

It's not about the number of sites it's about the fan base.

InfinityMax
May 18th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Simon, if HLD went this way (purely a hardcore rules and mechanics discussion/development site) I would be over there in a heartbeat. The focus and intensity of a site entirely devoted to rules and mechanics is really fun, and would keep the site from faltering under the weight of 150 people all posting totally random crap.

cbs42
May 18th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Agreed.

Having a "HeroScape Proving Grounds" for experimental mechanics / addons / variants would be a WAY cool use of the site.

I agree it should stay focused on some aspect of the HS world (such as the suggested rules and mechanics focus), rather than being a general information and discussion site like this one is. Many of us just don't have the time to keep up with two general-purpose sites, and it would also be annoying to the new players to have to look for answers in on two different boards.

Make it a HS Proving Grounds, and I think it will do wonderful things for the HS gaming community.

daevablacc
May 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Daev, I want it away from here because here is too diluted. You can discuss anything you want here, which is great, but it also serves to create a total lack of focus. There have been several threads at the HQ that discussed new rules, but they get drowned out in the white noise of the hundred or so other threads going on at the same time.

If HLD was devoted entirely to the really hardcore rules hackers, we could have a lot more ability to focus and get feedback. The people who visited would generally have a lot more to add, because they would be there specifically to discuss the rules.

Of course, there is no reason the sites have to compete. This talk of splitting the community or whatever is complete bunko. That kind of talk does more damage than having two sites. This site can link to that site, and vice verse. When a rule set is deemed ready for the public, it can be posted here and archived there. I know I can't be the only person capable of directing my browser to more than one site a day.

OK, I'm totally on board w/ the idea now. We can post the finished products here and do the rules/customs development there. Sweet!

netherspirit
May 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM

No one liked my idea or should I just go back to being ignored? :(

Set up online tournaments, online games, forum for questions and generla VVV, chat to set up games, a place to do some online Heroscaping that is at an actual heroscape site....

Big Simon
May 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm in the middle of moving to a different host (hostgator.com) for speed's sake. We'll see what happens once I get there, but so far I think the idea for a focused site doesn't sound bad.

InfinityMax
May 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Nether

Sorry? What was that? I didn't quite get it.

InfinityMax
May 18th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Simon, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to add smileys to my quote of Netherspirit. Of course, he probably noticed that I abbreviated his name, and therefore knew that I was not actually using the ignore button on him, but I just figured it would be better to clarify.

netherspirit
May 18th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Simon, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Oh, and I may have forgotten to add smileys to my quote of Netherspirit. Of course, he probably noticed that I abbreviated his name, and therefore knew that I was not actually using the ignore button on him, but I just figured it would be better to clarify.

Yeah I caught that. :P

ninthdoc
May 18th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Would you people please stop quoting people that I have "Ignored"? Sheesh!

SyvarrisX
May 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Has HLD been down yet?

Big Simon
May 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
It's down right now since I'm transfering all my domains to a new server.

Big Simon
May 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Hrm.

Would the HS community be interested in a player locator?

ultradoug
May 18th, 2006, 10:35 PM
I really like the idea for having a place just for customs / alternate rulls.
Immages here could get that watermark treatment, and sign up would be a person approved process (not automated) this would make ebay people very unlikely to just "show up" and take someones work. Not sure about right click being disabled, there are ways around this, but in short something `secure' feeling to it.

I also see a function that would give people points, a rating system that gave you "hot" points, and lower score would be "Death" points. I dont know, it would be funny and also usefull. It could have a cool immage of lava creeping up or skulls going down.

Anyway, this fourm could have best units hall and other things of that nature.

And a "Display Case" place that guests could view, where anyone could put any work they want to share with people not registered.

The Display Case would show case anything you wanted it to, and be a really nice way for others to see your work.

I think this is a very very good idea and would support this page in whatever way possible.

Oprime
May 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
What about using it for that project, H.E.X. rules a number of people were trying to implement back on HQ?

It sounded good but lacked focus and I think split into a # of different threads.

reapersaurus
May 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I think all customizations for HS should stay on the central HS site.

countblah
May 19th, 2006, 01:02 AM

Well of course you do, :roll: . However, I would like to see a seasoned "Reapersaurus" alternative to the suggestions raised so far. Ultimately, it's up to BigSimon (it's his site, he can do what he wants with it), but I would be interested in hearing what Reapersaurus thinks a reasonable parallel to this site would be.

Call my interest piqued.

Big Simon
May 19th, 2006, 01:02 AM
I can see where you're coming from, reaper... but can you suggest something you wouldn't want to see stay on the "central site"?

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Reaper, anything we do on the proposed HLD would be linked here. You could still get it without ever going to HLD. You just would have to show up there to see it before it's ready. Once it's ready, we can toss it up here, so that it could be both places.

Or are you suggesting that it would be bad if the development didn't take place here? Because the whole problem with developing things here is the drastic lack of focus - a problem that could be remedied at HLD.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Boy, I don't know what would go over to HLD that wouldn't be needed here.
I suppose a Vassal/Virtual Valhalla site could be cool, but I don't think I'd head over jsut for that.

And don't get me wrong - I want HLD to be around. I have always loved the look of the place and wanted it to thrive.

I think it would be a viable place if it had a very strong lean towards one tone or subject matter. For instance if it was a total rant and rage place or if it was strictly to lampoon or ridicule all things HS. I think it should have clear stance or message to make it an attractive place to hang out.

Ideas:

* Devote the site to HS fans and a thread all about themselves. A kind of Myspace Heroscape. They get one thread to present pictures, battle reports, game blogs, their area of the world complete with cross-references to other HSer in the area, and so forth. Talk about popular. What fan wouldn't want tell about themselves?!?
* Place for downloads and anything dealing in graphics, programs, etc.
* HLD Heroic Lampooning Department: All things Heroscape presented as raunchy, funny, obscene? This would be the black sheep sibling to Heroscapers. I'm serious, I think HLD has to have an attitude to have an identity.

OR

Let it die? Why fracture a well-established community. Here I am thinking purely in a negative, pessimist, but probable tone.

countblah
May 19th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Let it die? Why fracture a well-established community. Here I am thinking purely in a negative, pessimist, but probable tone.

I wonder. Like IMax, I kind of always viewed HLD as a parallel to the main fansite. I don't think anyone on this page would ever think that HLD ever pulled members from HQ over to HLD (except for those who got marooned over there). Rather, it offered a different experience than HQ, and most likely than Scapers. If BigSimon wants to kill it off, I'd be broken up, but I'd understand. I think it would be more sensible to use it though. It was a riot while it was going, and for a time, I visited it more often than I hit HQ.

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 02:15 AM
This talk of fracturing the community - I don't get it at all. You can visit more than one site. It's not even hard. You just type in a URL and there it is. I can't be the only one that knows how to do that. Hell, I visit two sites right now - and I happen to know damned well that a few other people do, too, including HEH and Reaper.

Lots of games have more than one fan site. The GTA games have tons of sites. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a D&D board. Halo has several boards. Why is anyone trying so hard to keep there from being two HS sites?

And I think we may all be ignoring a great big elephant in the room - the HS boards at BGG do pretty damned well. Plus there is a Yahoo group, and that has regular attendance. If we just whip off the blinders and look around, we'll notice that the Heroscape world does not revolve around us. It is arrogant and myopic to assume that just because another HS fan board emerges, this one will suddenly dive into the crapper. If it does, this was never that great a site in the first place.

Simon, by God, whatever you make, I will visit. But if it's a hardcore rules discussion site that doesn't allow random, off-topic, meandering conversations that serve to bury the actual Heroscape-related, engaging, creative stuff, I'll be there even more often. If it's just a fluff site where people rant, I may not stop by as much. I can get all the ire I need from my kids.

Venom
May 19th, 2006, 02:16 AM
doubt this could happen, but what if we could play HS online with other players like the demo on the official site but upgraded and have ranks up on that site for like tournaments and stuff? maybe i'm just a dreamer :roll:

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Boy, I don't know what would go over to HLD that wouldn't be needed here.

It's not what wouldn't be here, it's what wouldn't be there. A focused site would allow the intelligent discussions of rules and creative ideas to flourish without the weeds of random conversations about music and television shows. I like the random discussions, but they are not conducive to intelligent, focused discussions.

* Devote the site to HS fans and a thread all about themselves. A kind of Myspace Heroscape. They get one thread to present pictures, battle reports, game blogs, their area of the world complete with cross-references to other HSer in the area, and so forth. Talk about popular. What fan wouldn't want tell about themselves?!?

We can do that here. In fact, this is a very good place to do that.

* Place for downloads and anything dealing in graphics, programs, etc.

How would that be different from here?

* HLD Heroic Lampooning Department: All things Heroscape presented as raunchy, funny, obscene? This would be the black sheep sibling to Heroscapers. I'm serious, I think HLD has to have an attitude to have an identity.

Why would anyone visit that regularly? To hear crude jokes about Raelin and Drake? Not slamming your creativity, Hex, but I can't see myself going there at all, if lewd Heroscape gags are supposed to be the draw.

I just don't see this fracturing thing people get so upset about. It seems the most fracturing is done when people try to shut down other people because they don't want to join up. For instance, before the HQ went down, there were a few converted scapers who would show up just to tell the few people who were left that they were making a mistake by not giving up and leaving. I don't see how that serves any purpose whatsoever, unless pissing people off and alienating people is somehow useful.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 02:25 AM
This talk of fracturing the community - I don't get it at all. You can visit more than one site. It's not even hard. You just type in a URL and there it is. I can't be the only one that knows how to do that. Hell, I visit two sites right now - and I happen to know damned well that a few other people do, too, including HEH and Reaper.

IMax I visit no other Heroscape site. I myself got fractured jumping between HSHQ and ST.com. I wished I could've made up my mind on one or the other.
I was visiting that comic forum, but frankly I can't keep up with it consistently and there are guys there with like, 31,000 posts and ugh you should see the bickering that goes on unquestioned there. :roll:
And you yourself even came to ST.com asking folks to come back to HSHQ. I think we all are comfortable with a community we know and really admire and enjoy being around..

I can't say if any of us visit the Heroscape yahoo groups or the BGG sites, cuz I'm comfortable with my blinders on. And I bet those people that frequent those HS sites are happy there because they didn't want to jump in and have to warm up again to new folks.

I put in my ideas to Big Simon and one negative aspect to what could happen. That is all.

You lumped me in with Reaper. Grrr... :wink:

And my ideas? That's fine. If they stink that's cool. Just ideas. I don't think I'd wanna see what other things Drake could do with Thorian Speed either. :lol:

The point I'm tryin get across is HLD should be hard-set in one mind frame and not all over the place.

Agent Minivann
May 19th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I really like the idea of a focused site that pretty much only talks about serious customization. I'm not all into that, but when I need my fix, I'll know where to go and lurk. Of course some of it will make its way over here, but I'd imagine after a lot of refinement over there. I guess kind of a this is the normal HS site, HLD is the extreme HS site. I like the X games and all, but I would rather watch mainstream sports most of the time. Others will be the other way around. With the extreme HS site, we all know where to go for what we want.

mrbistro
May 19th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Now that ain't a bad idea. I find the idea of making HLD the hardcore rules site a little disheartening as I would probably end up leaving this site. I don't have enough time for multiple sites.

skyknight
May 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM
doubt this could happen, but what if we could play HS online with other players like the demo on the official site but upgraded and have ranks up on that site for like tournaments and stuff? maybe i'm just a dreamer :roll: That would be awesome if we had on online HS site to play on, like yo usaid I do not know if it could be done, but that would be friggin sweet, talk about HS here and play it there!!!

Venom
May 19th, 2006, 06:44 AM
doubt this could happen, but what if we could play HS online with other players like the demo on the official site but upgraded and have ranks up on that site for like tournaments and stuff? maybe i'm just a dreamer :roll: That would be awesome if we had on online HS site to play on, like yo usaid I do not know if it could be done, but that would be friggin sweet, talk about HS here and play it there!!!
thanx sky. didn't think it'd get noticed.

ultradoug
May 19th, 2006, 06:50 AM
I now like the Myspace Hotlavadeath thing. this is, weird... but hey - what better way to shamelessly promote myself, in fact, the only thing I could think of thats a better self permotion would be some big banner that I could have as a signature.
Maybe HLD could be a flash anmantion where reapers head gets repeatly dunked into lava and he screems.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/coolmondoug/hld1.gif

Then again, he might get upset at that, so nevermind.

daevablacc
May 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Of all the ideas put forth so far these are my favorite:

3 - Raunchy & controversial no-holds-barred site :twisted: (to keep this site kid & wuss friendly ;) )

2 - Online HS games community

1 - Hard core (but not like # 3 :P ) customization site (both rules and units)

netherspirit
May 19th, 2006, 10:15 AM
skyknight
and
Venom

There is a way to play Heroscape online. Its a Vassal program that Porter made.

SyvarrisX
May 19th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Maybe we could go to HLD if one of these sites ever goes down and they have news about new sites.

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 10:22 AM
HEH and Reaper, I know I came off harsh. I didn't really mean to. I just don't get how multiple sites fractures anything, and even if it would, why we try so hard to prevent it. So I'm sorry if I was too crappy. Not what I meant to do.

lilwis
May 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I don't think it's hard, but I do think it is cumbersome to visit two sites which share similiar info.
Me personally, if I can get information from several locations, I will usually gravitate to the one that offers the most. Because I'm lazy and it's convenient.

If the HLD site is to become a sister site to this, I think that offering it as a 'think tank' would certainly help rein in some creative energy w/out it dissipating.

I see HSer's as a giant lobby/auditorium. You got tons of people here with different views and discussions spinning off waiting for the main event. (Whatever the latest release/discovery is) I like the relax feel to this place, the same as I like the cozy feel to ST.

But due to sheer volume, I think that a serious idea/brain storm would get derailed real fast, even unintentionally.

I didn't know HLD exists until now, nor did I know the history behind it. But I think if the interest is high and genuine, HLD should start with core things first..like a 'think tank holding bin' or 'development in progress' .. even for the CODEX.. and then once the feel of the site has been established, then add to it if the space allows and fits.
Otherwise, it'll just spin out of control and we'll have to hit 3 different sites to obtain essentionally the same info, but posted by different people.
:shrug:

CornPuff
May 19th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I really like the idea about 'hardcore' customs development. HSers.com has a little bit of peanut gallery to it. It sorta gets in the way of serious discussions. Also, the forum format buries information

Also maybe esome Hardcore strategy discussion.

In any case, the goal of HLD should be to produce documents and information, nicely packaged, for the HSer.com.

We should start HLD with goals, for example:
Create an Advanced Strategy Guide.
Create Advanced Rules or alternate rules that emphasise strategy (HEX rules?)
Create Waves of Customs, just like Hasbro.
Create a 'How to price your customs' guide

So, create on HLD. Publish on HSers.

netherspirit
May 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I think moving all the custom stuff away from here is bad. :(

I still like my idea of a main place for Virtual Vahalla.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
HEH and Reaper, I know I came off harsh. I didn't really mean to. I just don't get how multiple sites fractures anything, and even if it would, why we try so hard to prevent it. So I'm sorry if I was too crappy. Not what I meant to do.

That's cool. No apologies. You're still my freakin' hero...

toddrew
May 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM
I think moving all the custom stuff away from here is bad. :(

I still like my idea of a main place for Virtual Vahalla.

I thought that's what Skynight and Venom were referring to, piggybacking on your original suggestion.

I haven't messed around with vassal in awhile, but I'll chime in in support of HLD as a solely "Virtual Valhalla" support/stats type site.

reapersaurus
May 19th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I really like the idea about 'hardcore' customs development. HSers.com has a little bit of peanut gallery to it. It sorta gets in the way of serious discussions. Also, the forum format buries informationSeriously, I'm not seeing the purpose of another site that specializes in anything that is discussed here. :shrug:

It is just my opinion.
But I'll tell it:

While there may be SOME non-optimal comments made in creator threads, i cannot remember too many creators saying they wish they didn;t have so many comments to their customs idea/project.

And this forum in no way buries information - there is a TOP-LEVEL forum for Custom Units, for example - how does that bury info?

The more busy creator threads stay busy, and the less-active ones sink down in the forum list (but always able to be found by going to page 2 or searching).

Seriously - this is the way it's been for ever on the HS fansite - why does it need to change?
I'm not feeling y'all's desperate need for a change on how things are done here? :shrug:

And as for HLD - why does it NEED to be used for something?
I just don;t see what is not being filled by this site (other than the obvcious - a no-holds-barred, uncensored HS fansite, which already exists).

Big Simon
May 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
And as for HLD - why does it NEED to be used for something?
You know... I've had to ask myself the same question. And the best answer I can come up with - which I believe is a damn good answer, by the way - is the same answer Sir Edmund Hilary gave when he was asked why he climbed Mt. Everest.

Because it's there.
So there you have it. I registered the domain and hosted it because the Heroscape public wanted a site. Glasswalker got HQ up first, and people flocked there, and that's cool. Now I've had this domain sitting there for months... and frankly, I think it's too cool to waste.

So if you don't like the idea of anything happening there, good for you, reaper. Some people like the idea of a focused site. Some don't. (For instance, in the RPG community, RPG.net forums are a great general site, but if you want to discuss specifics about game design and the like, you want to hit The Forge, a completely different site. It works out pretty well, I think.) Some people like the idea of a player locator. Heck... the idea for a MySpace-esque blog-host for HS players sounds kinda cool, too.

So... I'll figure something out, and I'll use the domain, and it'l lbe Heroscape related. I don't much expect you to visit, but hey, it's your call.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Heck... the idea for a MySpace-esque blog-host for HS players sounds kinda cool, too.

So... I'll figure something out, and I'll use the domain, and it'l lbe Heroscape related.

I'd be there for a MySpace-esque blog site.

netherspirit
May 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Heck... the idea for a MySpace-esque blog-host for HS players sounds kinda cool, too.

So... I'll figure something out, and I'll use the domain, and it'l lbe Heroscape related.

I'd be there for a MySpace-esque blog site.

I like that idea as well.

daevablacc
May 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Big Simon, I say: why not? Pick out whatever you want to try and see what happens.

ninthdoc
May 19th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Guys, Myspace has been done.

This one would be "MyScape"

:rock:

netherspirit
May 19th, 2006, 05:30 PM

:toast: :headbang: :rock:

Now that is awesome. That would rock so hard....

reapersaurus
May 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
So... I'll figure something out, and I'll use the domain, and it'l lbe Heroscape related. I don't much expect you to visit, but hey, it's your call.I'm just one guy with an opinion - don't worry about me. :D

My one vote would be for something that isn't available on here.

Like a more myspace-like HS site (which I can't picture what that would be like) would be wonderfully unique, and not be redundant or distracting.

Anything that isn't already here.
Heck, find a way to have people play HS online and register with brackets and online tournaments, and that's a HUGE addition that would pretty much require a seperate site from here.

dlaw008
May 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Seriously - this is the way it's been for ever on the HS fansite - why does it need to change?
I'm not feeling y'all's desperate need for a change on how things are done here?

From reading the comments on this thread it doesn't sound like anybody's desperate for change, and certainly not here. But just because something is the status quo doesn't mean it's the best... or only way to do things.

One size does not fit all. If I had never seen the HS Codex, I would never have looked in on HQ. From the outside it looked like a whole lot of noise. I read the codex and found distilled information in a deliverable format, which I love. Because the Codex I saw that something really was happenning at HQ.

-Doug

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
If I had never seen the HS Codex, I would never have looked in on HQ.

I just want to jump the shark here and say that this gives me an enormous warm and glowy feeling. I hope Atmospro and Truth get to see this.

reapersaurus
May 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM

I just want to jump the shark here and say that this gives me an enormous warm and glowy feeling. "I do not think that word means what you think it means."
:lol:

Jump the shark is a reference to Fonzi in Happy Days - like "you're played out". :)

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM

:toast: :headbang: :rock:

Now that is awesome. That would rock so hard....

YEAH! That is simply brilliant. I love stuff like that! That is great, Ninth!

Each member page could have:
My favorite Hero:
My favorite unique/common squad:
My favorite general:
Favorite: unit combinations (like Theracus & Deadeye Dan)

Winning insights:
losing insights:

Custom units I employ:
Custom rules I use:
Custom terrain:
Custom scenarios I use:
(all of these custom favorites would reference Heroscapers.
Preferred point size for an army:

My Heroscape Haiku:
My Heroscape motto:
Etc. etc. etc.

LilNewbie

I just want to jump the shark here and say that this gives me an enormous warm and glowy feeling. "I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Jump the shark is a reference to Fonzi in Happy Days - like "you're played out". :)

LOL! It's Inigo not Indigo. :D

Newb.

ninthdoc

Actually if you are a TV buff, it means that the show has left its original intended path.

Imax was saying that he was committing a thread jack.

toddrew
May 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Actually if you are a TV buff, it means that the show has left its original intended path.

Imax was saying that he was committing a thread jack.

Usually stay away from the pointing out of malapropisms as I am I major violater - but Reaper's meaning is the gist of "jump the shark" - a defining point of demise.

O, and it's Fonzie not Fonzi :)

Man, I am really jumping the shark on this topic :)

I do like the MyScape idea. Spoken by a member of the Heroscape group on myspace.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
May 19th, 2006, 06:03 PM
The Malachi Crunch has always stuck in my head for some reason...

truth
May 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not feeling y'all's desperate need for a change on how things are done here?

From reading the comments on this thread it doesn't sound like anybody's desperate for change, and certainly not here. But just because something is the status quo doesn't mean it's the best... or only way to do things.

One size does not fit all. If I had never seen the HS Codex, I would never have looked in on HQ. From the outside it looked like a whole lot of noise. I read the codex and found distilled information in a deliverable format, which I love. Because the Codex I saw that something really was happenning at HQ.

-Doug

You see this is exactlly why I want to take things going on inside the forums and present them as clean crisp stories on the front page! And not just have the whole thing just be one GIANT link over to the forums. Visitors have to find content easy and then move there way into the big bad forums.

ninthdoc
May 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM

-Doug

You see this is exactlly why I want to take things going on inside the forums and present them as clean crisp stories on the front page! And not just have the whole thing just be one GIANT link over to the forums. Visitors have to find content easy and then move there way into the big bad forums.

Okay, now I totally did not get your vision. That is actually cool and a good idea, in my book. :thumbsup:

Big Simon
May 19th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I looked into a system that would auto-install a community blog-style site, and the only ones I could find were, well... pricey. Running from $100 for the lowest end one with the fewest security features all the way up to $500 and change.

I reckon I will be trying something different.

InfinityMax
May 19th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Reaper is sort of right. 'Jump the shark' does, literally, refer to the scene in Happy Days where Fonzie jumped over a shark on water skis. In entertainment terms, it is the point where the show has deviated from its format so drastically that it has lost its original purpose. It usually marks a dramatic drop-off in quality.

I used it to indicate that I was deviating dramatically from the point of the thread. The term insinuates a drop in quality of the rest of the thread, though it does not necessarily mean that quality cannot follow the shark jumping incident. I was not attempting to insinuate that the rest of the thread was going to suck, though I was going far off the theme.

Ironically, my use of the term 'jumping the shark' has proved to be a greater deviation than the comment to which it referred. So simply by using the term, 'jumping the shark,' I have considerably jumped the shark.

Sorry, Simon. I really just meant to be happy that someone was reading the Codex.

jcb231
May 19th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Is Homba still there?Nothing is there right now... nothing and nobody.

Not nobody not no how!

Good old guardian of the gates of Emerald City. I just worked on that play....ouch...lousy Wizard and his lousy Oz. :-P

Big Simon
May 19th, 2006, 11:30 PM
*sends pet laser shark after InfinityMax*

http://www.bigsimon.com/pics/lasershark.jpg

jcb231
May 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM

Set up online tournaments, online games, forum for questions and generla VVV, chat to set up games, a place to do some online Heroscaping that is at an actual heroscape site....

If HLD was a proving ground for custom rules, units, and related items, I would think vassal would fit right in as a great way to test custom ideas without the chore of setting up maps and planning games and such.

InfinityMax
May 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
No problem for me, Simon - I'll just jump it!

SyvarrisX
May 20th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Is that laser on that shark organic?

netherspirit
May 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM

If HLD was a proving ground for custom rules, units, and related items, I would think vassal would fit right in as a great way to test custom ideas without the chore of setting up maps and planning games and such.

That is true, but it would take away too much from here. What would we have to talk about here if Custom Units and rules and other custom stuff was gone? All that would be left is Official Rules, Redundant questions, and Off-Topic craziness....

I think it would be a great launching place for Online Heroscape gaming....but I don't want to see Customs moved all over the place...

but then again its not my domain...so yeah...

jcb231
May 20th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I don't think customs as a whole need to be moved. I think HLD should just become the "proving ground" and testing site for the truly hardcore customs. Finished ideas could be passed around here, and vague concepts could be floated here, as well as casual ideas by those not heavily into the painting and modding and so on...the folks just looking for a little info on point cost or so on.

But for the truly serious custom designers, in between "concept" and "finished product" they could go to HLD on a vision quest with their promising ideas to make them better through brutal analysis, vassal testing, detailed info on figure modding and card making, and more....and when they've seen their animal spirit, they'll return, strong like the great white buffalo of the plains.

Or something like that.

dlaw008
May 20th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I don't think anything needs to be taken away from here. To me, I would just like to see it formatted differently. A site with a bent toward files rather than forums. The proving ground could still be here, but the finished products could go over there. I don't know - call them 'official' unofficial supplements. Stuff like Quests of Heroscape, and complete conversion waves, etc. I would like a site with 'news' stories or releases on the front page, a well organized downloads section, and perhaps blogs of some of the most prominent current projects. Something clean and uncluttered.

Everybody seems really happy with the forums here, so don't change that aspect. But I still maintain that there is a large audience for files that don't care about forums. I heard numerous complaints that there were 3000+ registered members at HQ, but only like 200 posters. Those other 2800 people weren't bad, they just want something different from the community.

Malechi
May 20th, 2006, 03:22 AM
If it were a hardcore rule-variant based website, I believe it would do well.

From my own experiences with the boardgame HeroQuest, I am active on the big daddy HeroQuest website Agin's Inn, I, along with G-bob, also belong to a more hardcore website Old Scratch's that has been going strong for years now and it has a grand total of only 136 members. Just because the membership is small in no way means the output is not seen. There always seems to be a non-member browsing the board.

I even have my own HeroQuest Yahoo group where I have been recreating the game to the tiniest detail for download and I never worry about loosing/stealing members, most of my posts in the Yahoo forum in response to questions cross reference the other two websites!

Focus on things that enhance the HeroScape experience. IMax's HS RPG, Teamski's Quests of HeroScape, along with Netherspirit's expansions to the same, or BoB's HeroScape Gear and it's half-brother HeroScape Equipment.

I would suggest leaving the individual Army Card/battlefield creations to heroscapers. Instead, when it comes to Army Card/battlefield creations focus on full blown makeovers like Reaper's Bizarro HeroScape Project, or a LotR's conversion. As for battlefields/Scenarios look for more campaign-type settings rather than the "Look what I made with LANDscape on my first attempt!" entries.

ultradoug
May 20th, 2006, 04:37 AM
LoL add me on www.myscape.com and I'll be your friend ^_^

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/coolmondoug/myscape.jpg

(my real myspace deal http://www.myspace.com/idctm)

Big Simon
May 27th, 2006, 01:37 AM
I have installed Wordpress blogware on HLD.com and will also be setting up a forum. The site will be, as suggested, a place for the discussion and creation of custom Heroscape rules variants, etc.

The blogware will serve as the front end, where HLD team members will be able to post finalized creations or public announcements (like playtesting, etc.).

The forum will serve as the back end. Part of it will only be available to the HLD design team - those who are interested in putting some effort into a project like this. There will be a section that's public access, as well, but it will be strictly for the discussion of the items posted by the HLD team on the blog.

Now... who all is interested in a project like this one? PM me and we'll discuss the future of HLD's place in the HS community.

InfinityMax
May 27th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Pick me!

I am so all over this. One more discussion about my favoritest figure and I'll be picking up my leftover brain cells with a dustpan.

skyknight
May 27th, 2006, 06:52 AM
I was really hoping for an online Heroscape site, something driven like the CG site. Oh well, I will come over and check it out though. I hate the thought of reposting my customs again though, so I will probably just keep them here.

Big Simon
May 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
That's okay, Skyknight. It's not really going to be a "post your customs" sort of place. More like a thinktank for people who want to really dig into the system and make it something different.

As for an onling Heroscape system, there are plenty of difficulties involved in something like that. First of all is licensing - because people would want their favorite official figures there, Hasbro would have to be on-board. Second, writing the code. I'm no programmer (I'm just a scripter - I know HTML, CSS, a reasonable amount of PHP and a spattering of Javascript), and I haven't had any programmers pipe up and say, "Hey, I could make an online Heroscape site to put at HLD". And those are just to start. Then we would have to concern ourselves with bandwidth, custom units, bug fixes...

It's a great idea, but one for someone with more time and talent than I.

netherspirit
May 27th, 2006, 09:48 AM
That's okay, Skyknight. It's not really going to be a "post your customs" sort of place. More like a thinktank for people who want to really dig into the system and make it something different.

As for an onling Heroscape system, there are plenty of difficulties involved in something like that. First of all is licensing - because people would want their favorite official figures there, Hasbro would have to be on-board. Second, writing the code. I'm no programmer (I'm just a scripter - I know HTML, CSS, a reasonable amount of PHP and a spattering of Javascript), and I haven't had any programmers pipe up and say, "Hey, I could make an online Heroscape site to put at HLD". And those are just to start. Then we would have to concern ourselves with bandwidth, custom units, bug fixes...

Its already been done with Vassal.

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=244

Big Simon
May 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM

With Hasbro approval?

skyknight
May 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM

http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_vassal_modules&task=display&module_id=244

You keep telling me this Nether and I know it has been done buit Vassal is kinda slow, with a real website dedicated to heroscape we could truly have a great online experience. How much fun would it be to have a serious engine behind the game.

netherspirit
May 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM

With Hasbro approval?

What do you think? ;)

netherspirit
May 27th, 2006, 04:37 PM

You keep telling me this Nether and I know it has been done buit Vassal is kinda slow, with a real website dedicated to heroscape we could truly have a great online experience. How much fun would it be to have a serious engine behind the game.

I wasn't telling you I was telling Simon.

Big Simon
May 27th, 2006, 04:53 PM
You guys do understand that you're talking about something that would have to be licensed before it could be done legally, right? And that those types of licenses usually end up pretty pricey...?

skyknight
May 27th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah I know its a liscense thing but can't you just change the names of the characters to something differnet yet keep gameplay and abilities about the same. Anyways this is kind of a pipe dream but I still can fantasize about it a bit can't I. :pray:

Venom
May 28th, 2006, 12:13 AM
yeah, the vassal version seems kind of.... weak. better graphics and sounds would have been real cool! skoot over Sky, let me join you :headbang: whoops...i mean :pray:

ultradoug
May 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Yeah I know its a liscense thing but can't you just change the names of the characters to something differnet yet keep gameplay and abilities about the same. Anyways this is kind of a pipe dream but I still can fantasize about it a bit can't I. :pray:

yes, you can have a game with (simular) mechanices and cards that have (simular) ablitys... BUT its just a bad idea, its like taking a song and making a slightly difernent version without even reconising who made it. I think Hasbro would not be happy if we did this. There are plenty of unlicenced ways to play games online and I have no idea how they survive. There is also ccgworkshop that asks for licences, and has problems gettng them (they ask for the ablity to use there product names and immages FOR FREE, and typicaly get permission)

Anyway, this idea has its merrits, but without permission ... there is the possiblity that online scape will be with flash like the hasbro page has for demo, perhaps they might do something offical, but dont hold your breath.

Anyway...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/coolmondoug/hld.jpg

Is back!

Rhydderch
June 16th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Another idea for the HLD site would be to make it a Heroscape Wiki site. EyeOfSauron mentioned the idea to Annerios in response to his HS guide but why not a wiki that could include more than information on official units?

As a wiki people could add information about the Halls of Valhalla and other important-but-not official HS items. There could even be entries for slang words such as Ebay Bob and the like. The wiki could have more than dictionary entries too. A wiki would be a great place for stories and people could even start a story and let other people add to it.

To help ensure the wiki is not hijacked by people you could also require people to register. That way we can ban anyone who causes trouble. Also it would be cool to see a feature that allows people to lock their entries so only the author (or his friends) can edit the entry. That would be useful for people who want to write a long story and not have someone mess it up.

I'm not sure I would make the wiki the only thing on the site and there should be some entries which would be locked - such as information about official figures but overall I think a wiki site would be useful and fun and distinct from Heroscapers.

Fallen Templar
June 19th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Another idea for the HLD site would be to make it a Heroscape Wiki site. EyeOfSauron mentioned the idea to Annerios in response to his HS guide but why not a wiki that could include more than information on official units?

As a wiki people could add information about the Halls of Valhalla and other important-but-not official HS items. There could even be entries for slang words such as Ebay Bob and the like. The wiki could have more than dictionary entries too. A wiki would be a great place for stories and people could even start a story and let other people add to it.

To help ensure the wiki is not hijacked by people you could also require people to register. That way we can ban anyone who causes trouble. Also it would be cool to see a feature that allows people to lock their entries so only the author (or his friends) can edit the entry. That would be useful for people who want to write a long story and not have someone mess it up.

I'm not sure I would make the wiki the only thing on the site and there should be some entries which would be locked - such as information about official figures but overall I think a wiki site would be useful and fun and distinct from Heroscapers. Thats a great idea

AgentX-127
June 19th, 2006, 02:27 PM
I support the Heroscape Wiki idea.

Su-Bak-Na
June 19th, 2006, 03:19 PM
LoL add me on www.myscape.com and I'll be your friend ^_^

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/coolmondoug/myscape.jpg

(my real myspace deal http://www.myspace.com/idctm)

Man Ultra your old.

ultradoug
June 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
darned if i rember my email i signed up with for that page.

suport hotlavadeath.com

visit www.hotlavadeath.com/talk and talk about the death of the page.
and try to save it or something