PDA

View Full Version : TrekScape - Away Missions - Maps and Scenarios

mac122
July 23rd, 2010, 02:02 PM
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/starfleetsymbolsmall.png (http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/starfleetsymbolsmall.png[/IMG])TrekScape Away Missions

Star Trek Maps and Scenarios for HeroScape

Welcome to the Maps and Scenarios Thread for TrekScape. The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm ideas for maps and scenarios for use with TrekScape custom figures. Away Missions will work in conjunction with the TrekScape Art Institute in creating paperscape add-ons to enhance your Star Trek battlefield experience.

Away Missions is open not only to TrekScape members but also to any in the Heroscapers community with an interest in creating Star Trek-themed battlefields.

Guidelines

This thread will start as a general ideas and brainstorming thread and will eventually serve as an index page for completed projects.
Anyone may submit a map and/or scenario idea for brainstorming and discussion.
We are looking for balanced, competitive maps, as well as fun, casual maps.
Not a map-maker? Feel free to present a scenario based on an existing map - just be sure to credit the map designer.
Once a basic discussion of the idea is complete, the designer will be asked to create a "Book of" thread for the map where further discussion and refinement can take place.
We will discuss ideas from any Trek franchise, but would prefer to follow the design order for the TrekScape figures: The Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, Original Cast Movies, Next Generation Cast Movies, Star Trek movie reboot, Mirror Universe, then the Animated Series.
Please keep the discussion civil. Respect for others, whether or not you agree with them, is imperative for a group to function properly.
Have fun with this!Chief Engineer: mac122
(Note: Boodog was the original Chief Engineer for Away Missions, but duties outside of the forums (real life) have caused him to step down. The original thread will be merged with this thread to maintain the ideas and content already posted.)

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 01:32 PM
Here is the Guardian from the last thread. Do people want me to work on some colums and such. They are wicked hard to make look desent, in paper scape and there are other options.]http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/Guardian%20final%20copy.jpg

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Are we willing to work with {I know I know the horror} Sqwares?

http://fatdragongames.com/fdg0047.html

We must remember that the Star Trek Clix will probably come out with cool maps. I have often used the Hero Clix maps for a quick game of scape when I dont have time to set up a battle field.

Pete

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Even if we don't there is

http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?products_id=77784&filters=0_40209_0&src=newsletter

fat Dragon does some great stuff. Here is ther sci fi stuff.

Pete

mac122
July 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Are we willing to work with {I know I know the horror} Sqwares
Pete
Who are you and what have you done with Felindar?! ;)

IMO, squares are something we could leave for house rules. That doesn't mean we couldn't create some paperscape consoles and such like the Fat Dragon stuff.

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I must admit I am thinking of the nifty maps that will probably be coming out soon with ST clix. I am also, thinking of that space hulk set I just bought and how cool it would be for a Klingon ship.

Pete

pjnormandin
July 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM
We must remember that the Star Trek Clix will probably come out with cool maps. I have often used the Hero Clix maps for a quick game of scape when I dont have time to set up a battle field.

Pete

Squares are bad! Hexes are good!

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM

Pete

Squares are bad! Hexes are good!

Shapeist;)

pjnormandin
July 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
And I am not ashamed to admit it!

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Just a quick look the bridge would need a lot more work than throwing hexes on it.

The hexes are each wider than the upper walkway. Probably we would be better off starting from scrach and swiping some elements like the command chair consols and such.

pjnormandin
July 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Just a quick look the bridge would need a lot more work than throwing hexes on it.

The hexes are each wider than the upper walkway. Probably we would be better off starting from scrach and swiping some elements like the command chair consols and such.

You can take what you want and leave the rest... like a salad bar.

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I am playing around with finding a texture and just making a drop down section of 7 hexes surrounded by a single layer ring of hexes with a wall of consols around it. I do want to know if there is a desire for a bridge set, before I do it though. It would be a tight spot for a battle.

pjnormandin
July 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM
I am interested. Would the walls/displays be AQT's paperscape inserts between fortress pieces? Or something else entirely?

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I don't know. Right now I am looking at using this.

AMT Bridge model (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370411533777)

And a set of hexes. It is 1\32 so it is too big but would be great for parts.

I was thinking of a planed base of Hexes. with a set of the bridge stations from the set we found here. (http://jleslie48.com/stbb/rel.html) I would probably just add a few blank wall sections to make it fit right. However, the idea of the rails and view screen at all from the set above looks realy nice.

Pete

mac122
July 25th, 2010, 11:12 PM
The bridge wouldn't have to be the only part of the map. Go out the turbolift door and you're in engineering or sickbay. I think the bridge could be a little larger than scale to allow some room for battle.

Felindar
July 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM
We could have the Turbolift act kind of like a transporter. You step in say sick bay and pop out in the halway outside sick bay. We could do large areas of map for all of the various rooms. The only problem is that the Enterprise was supost to be a spaceship. They did not make it look too roomy. for instanc each hex is 7 feet of so and the beds in sick bay could not have been more than 3 feet apart.

pjnormandin
July 26th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I saw this (http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=62242) a while ago. Maybe it has a place in TrekScape as another option for the bridge. It was something I was thinking about before TrekScape. They also have doors and various accessories for engineering etc.

Felindar
July 26th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I could see using those but offer a paperscape alternative. That way nobody is thinking we are offering maps that you have to pay big bucks for. But I have seen people offer "Master sets" Where they say get X number of ground pieces and then buy this terrain. I could see that if we keep the sugjested purchase price at $40 or so. Say buy those two sets then get some of the new water or swamp pieces and some gray spray paint. I am thinking of using those for the bridge as the "cracked" regular stuff just dose not look right. I am going to order the Fat Dragon stuff, it said you can change the weathering and rust stuff to make it look different.

Those doors though look more Klingon to me.

pjnormandin
July 26th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I could see using those but offer a paperscape alternative. That way nobody is thinking we are offering maps that you have to pay big bucks for. But I have seen people offer "Master sets" Where they say get X number of ground pieces and then buy this terrain. I could see that if we keep the sugjested purchase price at $40 or so. Say buy those two sets then get some of the new water or swamp pieces and some gray spray paint. I am thinking of using those for the bridge as the "cracked" regular stuff just dose not look right. I am going to order the Fat Dragon stuff, it said you can change the weathering and rust stuff to make it look different.

Those doors though look more Klingon to me.

People can use Line of sight blockers or paper or a combination as they see fit.

Are the grey spray painted tiles going to look like the marvel grey tiles?

Yeah the doors do look Klingish Klingony Klingese... I agree with you.

Felindar
July 26th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I was thinking of painting the water tiles that way they look more like rugs or tiles not. I just can't see the standard grey tiles from say marvel as the floor, But then I am crazy. I will see what I can get with the marvel tiles and some of the paper stuff. I am on vacation with some free time.

I found these two they go with the 3d ones you found.

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=62243

the hatch cover looks like it could work for a single space transporter. The wall of weapons not so usefull but the other stuff yep.

Pete

Felindar
July 26th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ok I picked up the two Fat Dragon Paper scape expansions. As well as the Star tiles. They should be quite usefull. Wile I can paste a hex grid over them I can not post an example. I know they were not intended for it and am debating a sise increse, if I can find one, that will let the hexes merge well and fit all of the time. I will try to post pictures of the terain in use for the Guardian set.

Pete

Felindar
July 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
What is the mathamatical relationship that will let sqwares and hexes work together. The hexes obviously must be 1.75 inches. so how big could I make the sqwares so they tend to match up?

Felindar
July 27th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Ok, I have been playing around with the sizes of sqwares and hexes. Could we see using a smaller hex for Shipboard misions. To tell the truth I am realy thinking of just printing the things out at 1.5 inches to the square and calling it a day.

Pete

mac122
July 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
That's an option for people who want to do that, but I still think we need maps using standard Heroscape tiles and/or printed maps using standard Heroscape-size hexes. Other mods and rules are certainly an option for those that wish to pursue them.

pjnormandin
July 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM
This is from page 2 of the old away team thread. Mac, did you do anything else with this? Is there a blank to modify available somewhere?

There's a lot of stuff that can be made to enhance a good map.

BTW - AliasQTip was kind enough to not only give me permission to use his walls and windows as a pattern, but he sent me blank templates. His only stipulation was that I not share the blanks. I told him I would be sure to give him credit for the pattern when I have something to post. I played around with it last night. Here's a couple pictures showing what these might look like. I copied and pasted some screens and panels from the paperscape bridge model. They are a little fuzzy, so I'm going to try to find some higher resolution images. They're good enough for a trial, though.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/corridorwalllarge2sample.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/corridorwalllarge1sample.jpg
These are opposite sides of the same piece. After I printed these out, I added a red stripe across the top to break up all the empty space.
I think it would be relatively easy to recreate engineering sections, bridge stations, 10 Forward in TNG, and maybe even the Promenade shops for DS9.

mac122
July 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
This is from page 2 of the old away team thread. Mac, did you do anything else with this? Is there a blank to modify available somewhere?

There's a lot of stuff that can be made to enhance a good map.

BTW - AliasQTip was kind enough to not only give me permission to use his walls and windows as a pattern, but he sent me blank templates. His only stipulation was that I not share the blanks. I told him I would be sure to give him credit for the pattern when I have something to post. I played around with it last night. Here's a couple pictures showing what these might look like. I copied and pasted some screens and panels from the paperscape bridge model. They are a little fuzzy, so I'm going to try to find some higher resolution images. They're good enough for a trial, though.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/corridorwalllarge2sample.jpg
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac149/mac12264/TrekScape/corridorwalllarge1sample.jpg
These are opposite sides of the same piece. After I printed these out, I added a red stripe across the top to break up all the empty space.
I think it would be relatively easy to recreate engineering sections, bridge stations, 10 Forward in TNG, and maybe even the Promenade shops for DS9.

I haven't done more, yet. I've been working on converting some MSE scripts for another group (cough - Project Pokemon - cough). That's almost wrapped up. The next project is to see if I can adapt MSE to use Felindar's TrekScape blank. If so, it will make formatting the text in the arrowhead a snap and card creation in general a bit quicker and easier. After that, I'm going to start looking for better images of comm panels, doors, displays and such to work on the walls - the ones I used were copied and pasted from the papercraft bridge Felindar found. The resolution is a bit lacking. I figure Memory Alpha and Memory Beta will be my first stops.

AliasQTip provided the blank but asked me not to share it. He doesn't mind if I share the final product, just not the blank.

Edit: Just saw I went past 1000 posts! :excited: Of course, if you subtract the ones where I said something dumb....

Felindar
July 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Edit: Just saw I went past 1000 posts! :excited: Of course, if you subtract the ones where I said something dumb....

Well if that is the standard Congrats on your 20th post :neener:

pjnormandin
July 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I haven't done more, yet. I've been working on converting some MSE scripts for another group (cough - Project Pokemon - cough). That's almost wrapped up. The next project is to see if I can adapt MSE to use Felindar's TrekScape blank. If so, it will make formatting the text in the arrowhead a snap and card creation in general a bit quicker and easier. After that, I'm going to start looking for better images of comm panels, doors, displays and such to work on the walls - the ones I used were copied and pasted from the papercraft bridge Felindar found. The resolution is a bit lacking. I figure Memory Alpha and Memory Beta will be my first stops.

AliasQTip provided the blank but asked me not to share it. He doesn't mind if I share the final product, just not the blank.

Damn poke-crap, nuts, and wow!

Boodog
July 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Okay, things cooled off a bit, so I updated the old thread to be redirected here, and put a note in the thread title.

I think the Paperscape would do nicely for interiors. Or, we could just breakdown and ask Dr. Weirdscaper to make an Enterprise!

pjnormandin
July 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Okay, things cooled off a bit, so I updated the old thread to be redirected here, and put a note in the thread title.

I think the Paperscape would do nicely for interiors. Or, we could just breakdown and ask Dr. Weirdscaper to make an Enterprise!

It'd be great to see the pictures, but who could re-create it?

mac122
July 27th, 2010, 10:29 PM

Dr. Weirdscaper?!?!?! Create the Enterprise?!?!?!?!
:passout:
I don't have that kind of money!

pjnormandin
July 28th, 2010, 05:02 AM

Exactly, *THUD*

SirGalahad
July 28th, 2010, 08:51 AM

I'd be lucky to make a shuttlecraft.

Felindar
July 28th, 2010, 09:43 AM
paperscape man just do the paperscape.

To scale printable shuttle (http://www.coldnorth.com/owen/game/startrek/universe/ships/type07.htm)

Its a start.

Felindar
July 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/shuttle%20copy.jpg

Felindar
August 4th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I just assembled my Guardian, I am working on some fallen pillers and such now from the Fat Dragon stuff. We should have a photo for the guardians plannet soon. I am printing on photo paper and coating it with a laminating sticky page first. I don't want to loose my terrain to a spilled drink.

Pete

pjnormandin
August 5th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I just assembled my Guardian, I am working on some fallen pillers and such now from the Fat Dragon stuff. We should have a photo for the guardians plannet soon. I am printing on photo paper and coating it with a laminating sticky page first. I don't want to loose my terrain to a spilled drink.

Pete

I banned food and drink during my families HeroScape games. There is food and drink around but not ON the gaming table.

Felindar
August 8th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Getting the hexmaster stuff assembled should have picks tomorow.

Pete

pjnormandin
August 8th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Getting the hexmaster stuff assembled should have picks tomorow.

Pete

Cool, I'd like to see that.

Pete

Felindar
August 9th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Got a Guardian / City on the edge of forever map. Needs. My guardian. Dnd Set, Marvel set, optional can use extra Dnd tiles I just wanted them all gray or black. One Original Master set for the buildings.

http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/IMG_0001.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/IMG_0003.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/IMG_0004.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~felindar/Trek/IMG_0005.JPG

I printed the cardstock terrain on the thickest photo paper I could find and coated it with a layer of sticky type, laminating paper.

This one only uses Hexmaster one. For the fallen pillars and the long wall/buildings.
</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>

pjnormandin
August 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Got a Guardian / City on the edge of forever map. Needs. My guardian. Dnd Set, Marvel set, optional can use extra Dnd tiles I just wanted them all gray or black. One Original Master set for the buildings.

I printed the cardstock terrain on the thickest photo paper I could find and coated it with a layer of sticky type, laminating paper.

This one only uses Hexmaster one. For the fallen pillars and the long wall/buildings.

That is some excellent stuff Felindar.

SirGalahad
August 9th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Yes indeed

mac122
August 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Yes indeed
Yes, indeed, indeed!

pjnormandin
August 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Yes indeed
Yes, indeed, indeed!

I Couldn't have said it better myself.

mac122
August 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Now, when do we see your first draft of a scenario for this, Felindar?:D

I could see this as the first part of a map and the second part be something like one of the C3G city maps.

The Romulans have discovered a method of using the Guardian to travel to specific times and places and are now attempting to destroy the Federation by changing the course of human history (hmmm, this sounds like a good idea for an episode/movie). Kirk, Spock, McCoy and a squad of cannon fodderred shirts must travel through the Guardian and stop the Romulan plot.

Felindar
August 11th, 2010, 03:59 AM
Is there a senerio form or layout. I could make one up I would probably use a Desisive battle in the earth romulan war. That would make more sence to me. The objective would be to make the romulans the victors. It would take place in two parts. the first on this map. The second on the curent romulan Ship if The Feds. win, the other at the site of the battle if the Romulans win. From the description in the Episode we know they never saw the romulans so no Ground combat, Maybe a raid on earth would be easyer to map.

P.S. How do you show a layout of your maps. Is there a good program?

Pete

Boodog
August 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
P.S. How do you show a layout of your maps. Is there a good program?

Virtualscape (http://www.heroscapers.com/community/downloads.php?do=file&id=12)is where you need to go to make maps. There is space at the end to type in vicotry conditions for your scenario, etc. Also, there are color-coded hexes in Virtualscape for custom terrain.

See the DS9 map I made as an example in the old thread.

The paperscape ideas were a great idea (and I'm glad you guys took this over for me, b/c you all are doing some great stuff).

Felindar
August 18th, 2010, 11:22 PM
thats nothin. I am working on the hexmaster 2 stuff for the colony planet where Kirk goes up against the Gorn.

Pete

Felindar
August 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I am cut. My fingers are stuck together and after 2 hours, I have one chair. Ok I made dinner and spackled the wall as well so I guress a good start.

wulfhunter667
August 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, so, following Mac's lead, I'm gonna throw an idea out here to get the old creative Map/Scenario juices going...

Had this idea for a 4 part campaign type scenario.
Part 1 starts out on a triangluar map with opposing armies trying to reach and go through the Guardian of Forever Felindar made.
Part 2 is a a long map, possibly with hindering terrain in the middle (swamp or jungle, or maybe even hot lava death :twisted:) with armies at opposite ends.
Part 3 is "capture the flag" type scenario with the enemy army defending the papercraft Transporter we were talking about a one point.
Part 4 is kinda odd and rather dependent on whether or not Wizkids puts out just figures, or whether they do the cool thing and release ships too. The scenario here is a pitched space battle with Federation and enemy ships to the death. (Que Amok Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyhhFzE5O5U) fight music. :D)
Anyway. You get the idea. Whatcha think?