PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake URGH! -- Sat. 10/28

UtahScott
September 26th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Hello, good evening and welcome to the October
Utah Regional Group of Heroscapers (URGH!) thread.

ATTENDEES: Looks like six at this point, including kids.
Let me know how many you're bringing, if they're not registered with the site.

Time: Saturday 10/28, 2-6pm.

Place: It's Game Night Games (http://www.gamenightgames.com/) in Sugarhouse, in the "back room."

Cost: Right now, there's no fee. I haven't put out for prizes; this session may be just for fun. I'm not against some kind of fee, if people still want to go that way.

Format: Since the exact number of attendees is still unknown, I'll set up four maps; right now round robin seems the easiest, with players playing everyone else. A win will be three points, with 40-45-minute rounds. Time-outs will be considered a tie, with one point going to each player. Points-to-date will be noted. If a few in-store customers decide they want to learn/play, we could switch to a straight elimination (with eight players). Other suggestions welcome, I don't want to come off as officious.

Equipment: We might need one more MS (Ortimus?) Those with "large" army collections could bring them and dice, etc. for the benefit of the group. Each player should bring a list of (4?) armies, using this (http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10006/Player_s_Sheet.jpg) sheet, since not everyone has a large army pool. Some of these premade armies could be "donated" for newbies who suddenly want to learn the game.
A points auction method for contested army cards could be considered. Will multiples of uniques be acceptable?

Food: In-store food & drink is okay, just remember you are a guest--no spills. There are around two dozen eateries within a mile of the venue. Personally, I suggest eating, then playing...keep yer greasy fingers off my army cards, OK?

Anything else I forgot?

Looking forward to it.

krai
September 26th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Just a sugestion but mabey we could get Game night games to let us hold it there. Im sorry i could not come last time i need to know the time of the thing i'm not sure if my play is that night.

UtahScott
September 26th, 2006, 08:51 PM
What play are you in?

Man, I haven't done anything on stage since high school.

Now I feel old....

nickmodaily
October 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
As much as I would LOVE to come, I have a halloween party to attend. I'll for sure make the next one, though.

UtahScott
October 15th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Nickmo,

How about cool costume reports?

This topic has been bumped. Updates for 10/15-16 listed.

UtahScott
October 25th, 2006, 12:22 AM
10/24 bump. Details revised in main post.

Agent Minivann
October 29th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks for organizing the event. We had fun. I just need to get my son to see that the orc horde will not defeat any army that can be put together for 400 points.

For everyone that missed it, there was just three of us there, UtahScott, me and my junior agent. My neighbor couldn't make it with his son, and Fat Tony couldn't make it either. We got there a little after the start time. UtahScott had Cornpuff's map Nerak's Passage ready to roll. We each played two 1 on 1 games.

The quick recap:

I played my son in the first game. He had the 2x arrow gruts, 2x Swog, Krug, and Mimring. I had 2x the hounds, Q9 and a squad of Deathreavers. I made a move that I later found out my son was hoping for and lined up a nice shot for Mimring's fireline SA. :duh: Q9 then went down in true Deathwalker fashion. My son ended up with 1 arrow grut (?) Mimring with 2 wounds and Krug uninjured. 1 stupid mistake really killed me. I was bringing Q9 into range to put the hurting on Mimring and Krug, but I got to excited and went down. The orc horde doesn't leave much room for error.

UtahScott played my son in the second game. UtahScott had the Tarn, 1x Snipers, Finn, MBS and Valgaurd. This one wasn't pretty. MBS went down to a swog rider on some really good (or really bad, depending on which side of the table you're on) dice rolls, 1 attack IIRC. The Tarn and the Snipers ran into a lot of trouble and went down at one of the map's choke points. Finn went down and then his spirit cranked up Valgaurd. He had some serious potential to put a hurting on, but Krug got him engaged before he could use his first assault special.

Game three was me and UtahScott. UtahScott used his army called Five Finger Discount (named for having one card from each general). I liked this army. I was dreading going up against many aspects of this one. It was KMA, the Marro Warriors, Warriors of Ashra, Tagwa Samurai, and Raelin. I stayed with my hounds/Q9/rats. I thought I was done for on this one with how quickly the hounds went down. I lost two of them as soon as they engaged any enemies. The reavers did their thing being annoying. Worked a lot better here than with the freaking orcs. I was a lot more successful with the plague than against my son. I think I was actually in the 1 in 4 range. The hounds did a good amount of damage with the plague, but Q9 did the heavy lifting. I think I ended up with Q9 and a single reaver.

Cornpuff, I have to say that is a nice map. :up: :up: from me.

There is a tentative date of 11-18 for the next one at my place. I think it will be a tournament format. Either a bracket or a round robin style tourney. Right now just for "bragging rights". I'll post more details as soon as I know them.

I'm thinking that I'll play a game with my son using Finn, Thorgrim, Brunak, and the Nakitas against my son's new favorite army. Send in the vikings to pump up Brunak. After that I'll send in Brunak carrying a Nakita for a little bit of added protection. Leave the other two Nakitas in reserve.

UtahScott
October 29th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks, Minivann!

Here's the link to the comprehensive report, with pics....
(it seems Minivann has become the Utah chronicler by default...thanks to his devastating laptop/digital camera Special Combo)

Here. (http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=115700#126672)

Agent Minivann
October 30th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I don't know how devastating a 800MHz laptop and a 3 Megapixel digital camera really is, but it works. I need to look over the pictures and see what I can do with some of them. The tundra terrain pieces don't play well with flashes. I'll try to get the good one's on the web soon.