PDA

View Full Version : DS Lite

Sweetcurse
September 24th, 2006, 09:29 PM
I've decided to buy one next week. It took me a long time to make up my mind between this and a PSP. I know the PSP is a better machine, but the game catalog on the DS and GBA is so awesome I can't resist it.

If you have it, what do you think? What games have you tried? I'm buying brain age righ away as well as new super mario. Also want star fox and the Final Fantasies.

netherspirit
September 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I want one, but its a little lower down on my Buy List right now. Its right behind my custom dice tower from IMax and my next Funagain Games order.

Logrey
September 24th, 2006, 10:09 PM
I have a DS Lite (white version) and it's been great. I was planning on going PSP, but I play with my girlfriend a lot and many DS games let you play wireless multiplayer, with only one cartridge.

So far I have: New Super Mario Bros, Brain Age, Big Brain Academy, Tetris, Advance Wars DS, and Mario Kart. All great games (all with wireless, single cart multiplayer).

Functionally, the machine is terrific. No problems for me. Battery life is surprisingly high. The graphics are well below PSP level, but they work for the simple games.

Personally, I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy III (it looks like it will push the DS graphics nicely).

If you have any other specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

mrbistro
September 25th, 2006, 02:49 AM
The DS has a fantastic library of games as opposed to the PSP's relatively mediocre collection.

DingoDarkly
September 25th, 2006, 06:42 AM
I have a DS but i would've preferred the Ds Lite! May wait until they go down a bit too!

Avenger
September 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
i have a ds, no lite though. excellent system. i would recommend mario kart, star fox, umm.. and everything else. Iwant pokemon mystery dungeon, but need to see my next nintendo power for a review. anyone have this game yet?

DingoDarkly
September 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Mario karts is a must have for the DS! I've never tried a Star fox game though-but i like playing as fox in SuperSmashBros games!!!

AmishBurrito
September 25th, 2006, 06:50 PM
DS Lite is awesome, I bought it the week when it came out and sold off my DS. I wasnt really expecting a huge difference, but there is one! The battery life is like 10 hours on the lowest brightness setting (which is the same brightness as the DS) and there's like 4 levels of brightness. Also its lighter, and the stylus's (or stylii) are easier to use since its thicker. Anyways though, its a great system and i'd highly reccomend it over the PSP. My roommate got a DS and a PSP, kept the DS for like 6 months (he buys, uses, and sells stuff quickly) but only kept the PSP for like a couple weeks.

mrbistro
September 26th, 2006, 02:17 AM
i have a ds, no lite though. excellent system. i would recommend mario kart, star fox, umm.. and everything else. Iwant pokemon mystery dungeon, but need to see my next nintendo power for a review. anyone have this game yet?

I can pretty much assure you that Nintendo Power will say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is great. They'll give anything decent reviews. But this game has gotten lame reviews everywhere else: ign, gamespot, game informer.

jcb231
September 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Does any third party company make a really thick stylus? Like a good ball-point pen thickness, with a cushy grip? That little twig they give you to work with is kind of awkward to hold. I know they want it to fit in the DS and all, but I think that's not really as important as comfort.

Point Blanks
September 26th, 2006, 03:25 PM
The Lite has an improved stylus. While I don't think it has a cushy grip, it is nice and thick.

As for the Mystery Dungeon, it's nothing more then the original in a faux-tactical setup.

0rbital
September 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I you want to make your DS really nice search for Supercard.

jcb231
September 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Can you elaborate?

jcb231
September 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
The Lite has an improved stylus. While I don't think it has a cushy grip, it is nice and thick.

As for the Mystery Dungeon, it's nothing more then the original in a faux-tactical setup.

Maybe I haven't seen it then....the DS Lite's I've tried all have a stylus that's just a tad thicker than the original. I'm talking about something that is as thick as a nice solid writing pen. Do they have that?

0rbital
September 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM

Can you elaborate?

It's a flash card that works on the GBA and DS. You can use it to run homebrew software (SNES emulators, ebook readers, etc.) on either. It will also run game backups. On the DS it'll run both GBA and DS games.

About $50 for the Supercard (supports different kinds of flash, I'd get the mini-SD one that doesn't have any protrusion).

DingoDarkly
September 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks orbital for the info!

Sweetcurse
September 28th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Im onj my way to buy it today. I already bought two games, but they are advance games. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Aorrow as well as Final Fantasy I and II.

Ill pick up Brain academy, sudoku and New super mario. Any other ideas? Where do you find a supercard?

Avenger
September 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM

Maybe I haven't seen it then....the DS Lite's I've tried all have a stylus that's just a tad thicker than the original. I'm talking about something that is as thick as a nice solid writing pen. Do they have that?

ya dude. my sis bought two stylus trhat r shaped like regular pens with cushion. when you press the button, the stylus pops out. its sweet.

DingoDarkly
September 29th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Im onj my way to buy it today. I already bought two games, but they are advance games. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Aorrow as well as Final Fantasy I and II.

Ill pick up Brain academy, sudoku and New super mario. Any other ideas? Where do you find a supercard?

I heard metroid prime hunters is good!
If your a fan of mario games mario karts is a must have!!!

AmishBurrito
September 29th, 2006, 10:02 AM

You can get whatever stylus you want, it just won't fit in the DS Lite side hole. You can even just take a mechanical pencil and not push the lead out or something and use that. (not sure if that would scratch the screen tho)

jcb231
October 2nd, 2006, 02:20 PM

ya dude. my sis bought two stylus trhat r shaped like regular pens with cushion. when you press the button, the stylus pops out. its sweet.

Any info on where she got this or what the brand name is?

I don't care if my stylus fits in the DS at all....but I don't want to use a mechanical pencil or any other metal or hard product...a soft stylus is the way to prevent scratching.

Avenger
October 2nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
she got it at circuit city, and it was a nintendo product.

mrbistro
October 3rd, 2006, 01:44 AM
I heard metroid prime hunters is good!

Playing it now. Excellent game.

jcb231
October 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
she got it at circuit city, and it was a nintendo product.

Awesome....cool that Nintendo is actually making things like this. Usually third-party companies make the add-on accessories.

Metaknight
December 7th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Finally! Traded in my old one to get a wicked awesome red/black lite!!!

zanter
December 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Ok guys, my L button is glitchy on my norm 1st ed DS, i am makeing some cash, should i get a lite, or a buntch of games? (FYI: NEED M.P.H. i have the demo and am HOOKED.)

STAROCEAN980
December 9th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Ok guys, my L button is glitchy on my norm 1st ed DS, i am makeing some cash, should i get a lite, or a buntch of games? (FYI: NEED M.P.H. i have the demo and am HOOKED.)
Why don't you do a trade in like Meta?

Metaknight
December 9th, 2007, 04:09 PM
MPH is mega awesome! One of the top 5 DS games in my book along with Mario Kart, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and a few more...

johnny139
December 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
MPH is mega awesome! One of the top 5 DS games in my book along with Mario Kart, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and a few more...

MPH - good FPS, bad Metroid game.

zanter
December 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Why don't you do a trade in like Meta? Due to the glitchy button, i doubt i will gather mutch from it, better to give it to my DSless brother. MPH is mega awesome! One of the top 5 DS games in my book along with Mario Kart, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and a few more... Supprised thee isn't a MPH clan on the site.... Mabie i will start one once i get it....?MPH is mega awesome! One of the top 5 DS games in my book along with Mario Kart, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and a few more...

MPH - good FPS, bad Metroid game. Why is that? Seems a lot like prime....

johnny139
December 9th, 2007, 05:06 PM

MPH - good FPS, bad Metroid game. Why is that? Seems a lot like prime....

It's not at all like Prime. It's an FPS, that's it. There's no exploration, not many puzzles... the only thing that makes it Metroid is the fact you're Samus - there's not even any Metroids!

Metaknight
December 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I don't get that. Some recent Metroid games have no Metroids in them?

johnny139
December 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hunters is the only Metroid without Metroids.

zanter
December 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Hunters is the only Metroid without Metroids. Fusion dosnt have many...

Metaknight
December 9th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Corruption wasn't big on it either...

ThrasherDarkrai
December 9th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Yes, but at least it has SOME.

johnny139
December 9th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'm fairly certain there were some Metroids in Fusion. Or at least, X-Virus clones.

Metaknight
December 9th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I'm fairly certain there were some Metroids in Fusion. Or at least, X-Virus clones.

Yes, the final boss, and the last 20 min of the game.