PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in my book?

heroscapenoobs
March 13th, 2010, 12:39 AM
A couple of friends and I are thinking about writing a 4 book series. We are each going to write 1 book and then work together on the last one. I was wondering what types of things you guys might like to see in a 4 book series. I will be happy to hear anything accept how you think the series should end, because we have already thought up a basic idea for it.

Here are our ideas so far:
Setting in medival times.
Main hero a knight, some sort of non knight partner, and early to mid first book rescue somebody who helps them out throughout the rest of the books.
evil sorceress enemyPlease, we really want these books to be good enough that people will read them, what other things should we put in them?

Onacara
March 13th, 2010, 12:57 AM
If you are writing 4 books...why not make it about 3 main characters...each of you write 1 book about how that character got to the same certain point...and the final book will be about the adventure they have together.

TurtleKing99
March 13th, 2010, 01:10 AM
have a scene where they all play heroscape

Onacara
March 13th, 2010, 01:22 AM

Right because they had Heroscape in Medieval Times. :roll:

SpartanNinja
March 13th, 2010, 01:37 AM
If you are writing 4 books...why not make it about 3 main characters...each of you write 1 book about how that character got to the same certain point...and the final book will be about the adventure they have together.
I was just going to say this (when I read the first post), but seeing as Onacara beat me to it, I'll just say that Onacara has had an amazing idea that you could definitely try out. That way everyone can develop their character in their own way and not have to worry about destroying anybody else's.

TurtleKing99
March 13th, 2010, 01:48 AM

Right because they had Heroscape in Medieval Times. :roll:

yes, medieval Heroscape :roll:

heroscapenoobs
March 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys. I might use the seperate books idea. It sounds like it might work pretty well. I probably won't have a scene where they play heroscape though. Do you guys hav e any ideas as to what you might like to see in the books?

SpartanNinja
March 13th, 2010, 11:50 AM
A surveillance doe.

Onacara
March 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Pretty much the 3 prequel books should not overlap with the exception of the "Evil Sorcerer"...the 3 main charachters should have their own story...basically they know nothing of each other...at the end of each book they end up in the same tavern or something and realize they are all after the same foe.

heroscapenoobs
March 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
I dont think we are going to do a seperate book for each character, because of the fourth book, but what do you think about having the characters switch off telling chapters. For example the first chapter is written from the point of view of george, the second chapter by paul, and the third chapter by steve?

AliasQTip
March 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
As far as the HeroScape tie-in, you should do a character cameo - if WotC will let you, that is.

Hahma
March 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Pretty much the 3 prequel books should not overlap with the exception of the "Evil Sorcerer"...the 3 main charachters should have their own story...basically they know nothing of each other...at the end of each book they end up in the same tavern or something and realize they are all after the same foe.

I did something like this in a book I wrote a while ago, except it wasn't over a three book series before they got to know each other. A couple characters knew each other from the onset, while others got connected in different ways. They all had some reason or tie in for them to eventually get together and fight against a common foe.

Regarding ideas for Heroscapenoobs' book, perhaps the evil sorceress could be the mother of one of the heroes. Perhaps the main characters could be enemies in their separate books and something draws them together, where there's a tension between them that over time can ease up as they learn to trust each other or learn that they aren't as different as they had always thought they were. Maybe the sorceress' magical/mystical abilities could be subtle and not over the top, but enough to give her power over her followers who are superstitious. Her true power can be in her seductiveness and/or conniving ways of getting what she wants.

I'd also suggest building depth of character so that readers care about them. Let the heroes have faults that make them out to be not so perfect and let the evil sorceress and/or some of her main followers have some redeeming traits that perhaps lets the readers see their side of things or that they're not as bad as viewed from afar or as suggested by the heroes.

Good luck.

Onacara
March 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM
I dont think we are going to do a seperate book for each character, because of the fourth book, but what do you think about having the characters switch off telling chapters. For example the first chapter is written from the point of view of george, the second chapter by paul, and the third chapter by steve?

You would lose me pretty quick if the entire book was like that....now instead of doing an entire book for each of the 3 main characters they each had a single chapter at the beginning of the book to establish their individual backstory written as if they were telling the story then that would be different.

Warlord Alpha
March 13th, 2010, 11:53 PM

You would lose me pretty quick if the entire book was like that....now instead of doing an entire book for each of the 3 main characters they each had a single chapter at the beginning of the book to establish their individual backstory written as if they were telling the story then that would be different.

I have read books where there are two and even three separate characters/groups of characters. Like, the characters split up, and then one of those smaller groups split again, so you were following three groups of characters at one point. Like, every 4 or 5 chapters you would get to see one specific group again.

I didn't have a problem with it, but I know that some people don't like it. It should probably be avoided, and the 3-separate characters part is a good idea.

Plus, with 3 separate characters, one for each person for each book, each person's style and personality will be injected into each one of the characters, rather than everybody kind of tugging at each character. Really, it would make very developed and interesting characters.

tubafication
March 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The Warriors Series by Erin Hunter does this. I enjoy it, and it's nice hearing the story from a different point of view. However it gets annoying reading about a character who is doing nothing. She does a nice job however of tying it all in at the end.

There is one hope I would have, I love puns, and my suggestion is hoping you would either have the pun, calling a group of three, 'lower evil, middle evil, and higher evil', or having the knights walk around the table. :)

heroscapenoobs
March 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I'd also suggest building depth of character so that readers care about them. Let the heroes have faults that make them out to be not so perfect and let the evil sorceress and/or some of her main followers have some redeeming traits that perhaps lets the readers see their side of things or that they're not as bad as viewed from afar or as suggested by the heroes.

Good luck.

I think that is going to be very important to our books. Without the love of the characters then, the readers wont really care what happens and won't have a reason to read the books. I like the idea of a seperate book for each character, but with only 1 book will the characters really be able to earn the care of the readers. I think it might be better to have them together for almost 3 whole books before the final book so the readers can really get to know and understand them.

I can understand the not doing the whole books in the seperate character chapters, but i like the idea of the first few chapters being background from the poiint of view of the heroes.

Anything you've got for me would be great. Are my ideas terrible, ok, unjustified?

Taeblewalker
March 14th, 2010, 03:36 AM
It sounds like each book will have a different "voice," since different people will be writing it. That supports Onacara's idea of keeping a book all about one character. They should happen at the same time, and the fourth book be after the first three which are simultaneous.

Have something larger going on in the world, like a war or cosmic event, that the characters each perceive from different angles. One could be royalty, another a common street urchin, and a third a person in the military, or perhaps a traveling merchant (maybe even a hermit). This would make reading (and writing) about the same events fresh.

Each learns how they are at odds with the Sorcereress at different points in their own book.

Hahma
March 14th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Spend a lot of time building your world. I've done this on a couple occasions. You could make maps to either include in the book or just for your own reference to make it easier to remember what town/kingdom is where in relation to each other. You could make up some histories of the different parts of your world, who's allied with who and what is the main trade in the various places. Are they know for growing wine, raising cattle, are they nomadic?

Who is running the various parts of your world? Aside from the sorceress, are there any other kings/queens in neighboring lands, or Barons and Dukes? How did the sorceress gain power? Did she take it by murder, deception or magic, or was she born to it. Is there any kind of religion in your world? Would they conflict with each other or conflict with sorcery?

Perhaps one of the characters can be on a religious mission to oppose the sorceress for his religion. You could maybe have some characters work overtly and maybe one working under cover or as a spy. Also, try to add some twists to the story along the way so that things don't always go as planned.