PDA

View Full Version : Haukeland

ugly1hornedmule
September 8th, 2006, 09:23 AM
is it me or does that Haukeland island on the new map scream for a new water expansion with pirates

Venoc_Viper
September 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I don't think so.
Battles only take place in one part of valhala or the border between 2 parts.
But there might be some new terain in a Haukeland expansion.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
September 8th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Exlporing the new world with Venoc Warlord and the scouts,

<"C'mon you belly crawlers! We can make it to Haukland if we frenzy enough times!">*

* Translated from the Venoc language

CupidsArt
September 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM
is it me or does that Haukeland island on the new map scream for a new water expansion with pirates

Actually I thought the same thing but that island will more than likely be geared towards Marro/Venoc. A large (maybe Tropical) swamplike Island in Valhalla I can imagine both of these groups fighting over it like small children.

The rivalry between the two groups is there in the fiction so why wouldn't it fit with a Swamp Terrain Expansion.

I could be wrong and this area could be a beach styled island but with that lake in the middle of it I really doubt it, :D

Now we should start a thread about the Deserts of Crumland, :D

bluekitsune13
September 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to see if we have any special expansions related to Haukeland. Just like in every RPG, there's one island that's not connected to the rest of the world that contains a big treasure. Knights of the Round anyone?

markwars
September 8th, 2006, 11:31 AM
I think Cupids Art is right about a Swamp expansion. I'd love pirates though.

kenjib
September 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I would love a desert expansion! There are no 24 hex sand tiles...

CupidsArt
September 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I would love a desert expansion! There are no 24 hex sand tiles...

That would be sweet!

My biggest excitement is the fact that they have taken the time to make a map. I'm certain they didn't just give the artist (what's her name) artistic freedom with this. I'm certain there were some freedoms but mostly I imagine the designers had a vision of where things went and why.

Look at Wolfswamp Road, Tower of Giants, this map is a sign of things to come. We can speculate all that we want and I'm certain that some of us will get close but I have been surprised by the HS team so many times in the past it isn't funny.

I can't wait to see the new scenarios and where and how they tie in to the make up of this world that we have actually been given a layout of. All of the future expansions to come out and this map are a the arbiter of a beautiful direction that HS is heading.

Eclipse
September 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Totally random though, but has anyone ever tried to combine all of the official maps? You'd probably need about 8+ Mastersets, but it could be kinda neat to make a world in which all the official scenarios could be played.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
September 8th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I'll post some pictures of a custom desert expansion I found on eBay when I get home. I found them to be really cool, er hot....

Nooblar
September 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Eclipse, I saw that done once. It would be interesting to see how that battle would turn out, especially with the high ground on some maps being within range of higher ground on other maps. Would it make one certain map the strategic key to winning?

What I'm anxious to try out, though, is a campaign style game with the official map out. I've seen some rough rules on the board already, but I might make my own.

Revdyer
September 8th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I want to trade the wars of the nations of the planet for one huge HeroScape game where we can settle all the conflicts on a giant board at the Hague or the UN or somewhere and let the rest of the guys go home to their wives and children (and the wives go home too, who are overseas like my niece was, running one of the last MASH units in northern Iraq and collecting a bronze star and her Col. screamers in the bargain). Opps, got too visionary there...guess we'll have to keep killing real people and being killed by them too. I hate that, by the way, but don't really want to start a political debate. Just assume I'm wrong; it's okay.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
September 8th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I'll post some pictures of a custom desert expansion I found on eBay when I get home. I found them to be really cool, er hot....

Here is that desert expansion set.
I found these images on an eBay auction - I didn't create these terrain pieces!!!!

Certain users didn't like the work on these all that much and found the boulder arch piece useless. But I really enjoy the idea of a desert expansion and this custom set had promise. It went for quite a bit of money on eBay.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_set_mainpic.jpghttp://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_front.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_set_pic7.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_set_pic2.jpg
Uh-oh, someone's not playing Tornak and the orcs properly.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_set_pic1.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/jonan_jello/desert%20expansion%20for%20heroscape/abraxas_set_pic3.jpg

markwars
September 8th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Did you make that? :shock:

Hex_Enduction_Hour
September 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM
No! I found the images from an eBay auction. Oops. Did my post give that impression? I'll go back and edit. Thanks.

markwars
September 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Well I can see why it went for a lot. It looks very very good.

kenjib
September 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I like it. I love the rough "hexes" marking the top of the rock arch.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
September 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I like it. I love the rough "hexes" marking the top of the rock arch.

Me too. I'm a sucker for deserts and canyons anyway, but the carving looks real decent. I like the humungous boulder piece and the teetering, balanced medium rock the best.

toddrew
September 8th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Totally random though, but has anyone ever tried to combine all of the official maps? You'd probably need about 8+ Mastersets, but it could be kinda neat to make a world in which all the official scenarios could be played.

We've had inklings to do so, but never followed through. Originally our thinking was that all the maps together would constitute "Valhalla", but it appears that the battlefields are just discrete points on the larger map of Valhalla. (Still would be fun to link all the official maps together :) )

Jormi_Boced
September 8th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I'm certain they didn't just give the artist (what's her name) artistic freedom with this. I'm certain there were some freedoms but mostly I imagine the designers had a vision of where things went and why.

Lindsay AKA Saylind

noodles
September 8th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Why is everybody so hung up on pirates? Pirates suck.

CornPuff
September 8th, 2006, 06:24 PM
its Linday? Now we know who to hound for the raw image :twisted:

So, I imagine Haukeland to be more like Morrowind. For those who don't know, it was backwater and strange. The cultures were mostly unknown and mystical to those on the mainland.

If Haukeland was like that, they could have an expansion that really went counter to the themes we have been given. A new general maybe? Maybe it will be the way to bring in more wizards. Whatever it is, I'm sure it will also have an aquatic theme.

I want to trade the wars of the nations of the planet for one huge HeroScape game where we can settle all the conflicts on a giant board at the Hague or the UN or somewhere and let the rest of the guys go home to their wives and children (and the wives go home too, who are overseas like my niece was, running one of the last MASH units in northern Iraq and collecting a bronze star and her Col. screamers in the bargain). Opps, got too visionary there...guess we'll have to keep killing real people and being killed by them too. I hate that, by the way, but don't really want to start a political debate. Just assume I'm wrong; it's okay.

I assume each nation would have point totals in relation to their gross national product? :wink:
Plus, the Italians wouldn't like this at all, because they only have small men :lol:

dickflea
September 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
No you're not the only one.....i was thinking more in the lines of boats &/or aquatic characters :D

Doustin
September 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
We all know that if they make any units from this island theyll be a polar bear, black horse, and black smoke.

chewbaccapits
September 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Why is everybody so hung up on pirates? Pirates suck.lol..Not sure why are some are so hung up on them either...I'd love to see a cyclops or some kind of sea creature...

CornPuff
September 8th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I'd love to see a cyclops or some kind of sea creature...
Oh hell yes. That is the greek mythology island

loseaturn
September 8th, 2006, 09:10 PM
As much as I would like pirates... I am going to go out on a limb here with my theory of Haukeland. Since it sounds so much like "Hawk Land" I am gonna guess this is where those pesky Raptorians have been hiding out. Anyone else want the Raptorians to come back and kick some well overdue snake butt??? Maybe it's just me...

chewbaccapits
September 8th, 2006, 10:35 PM
....or what about Apollo, Cornpuff??...

Roufus
September 8th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I hope the desert thing comes with more than just that one little guy.

theats
September 9th, 2006, 09:55 AM
ya neva know.

Avenger
September 9th, 2006, 07:56 PM
the expansions can contain whatever guys or land they want, as long as there are obstacles, like trees, or ruins.

ugly1hornedmule
September 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I have the answer for pirates and their ship, Make a shipwreck obstacle that is like ruins. This way you don't need new rules for boats and countless water tiles to place them on. A shipwreck piece can be about 6 hexs and can be placed in water or land near water.

chewbaccapits
September 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I was thinking of that too.....Great minds think alike...

Jandars_Hope
September 19th, 2006, 05:42 PM
I have the answer for pirates and their ship, Make a shipwreck obstacle that is like ruins. This way you don't need new rules for boats and countless water tiles to place them on. A shipwreck piece can be about 6 hexs and can be placed in water or land near water.

OMG! Great minds and all that. I talked about the shipwreck idea on the pirates thread (it's somewhere around here)!

KEFIOX
September 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM
a shipwreck would be cool

even though i hate pirates i would like to see some

and a new terain would also be awesome

they should also bring back the sparkly water

and some raptorians and aquatic guys would be cool too

ugly1hornedmule
September 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM
Personally i would be happy with a set of just obstacles, no hexs or figures. Things like fences, rocks, shipwrecks, gravestones, bushes, haystacks, and we can always use more trees.

whitedog45
September 22nd, 2006, 11:05 AM
I'm going with the name thing Hauke/Hawk. Those wave 6 winged guys might hail from there or as said earlier the Raptorians.