PDA

View Full Version : My First Castle AAR.....

Teamski
August 19th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I finally made it back to the comic shop to set up a game, this time with some castle action. Here is the map:

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/95399c05f2.jpg

The first 2 games were 1 on 1, both 500 points. He had:

1x Drones
1x Hounds
1x Su-Bak-Na
Marro Warriors

I had:

Saylind
2x Elf Archers
2x Vipers
Venoc Warlord

In the first game, I raced Sayind up onto the castle summoned a squad of Archers pretty quickly. He didn't have a chance. The archers started sniping and frenzying. I didn't lose a soul. I traded Sayind in for Morsbane for the second game. He got Subakna onto the castle this time and traded blows with my archers. I lost a couple, but they took out the dragon. I advanced my vipers around the wooded side and engaged the hounds and drones. They frenzied and took 'em all out. Another victory.

The big game was a 2 on 2, 500 point game.

Them: (from what I remember, hehehe)

P1:
1x Roman Archers
1x Legionaires
1x Elf Archers
1x Monks
McCreech
Ninjas

p2:
Tagawa Samauri
Samauri
1x Elf Archers
2x Greeks
1x Kilts
Dan
McMurphy

US:

p3:

Grimnak
Thornak
2x Orc Archers
1x Orc Blades
2x Swogs
Nerak

ME:

2x Minions
Marro Warriors
1x Death Reavers
DW7K
Krav Maga

The battle started out with everybody advancing along the side of the board, except me. I put all of my markers on the agents and headed for the castle. (Sides were along the length of the map, not across the table) Within a couple turns, my agents were climbing the ladder to success. Everybody else single-markered their units, so they were pretty slow. My opponent forwarded his Monks over the snow. I reached the other end of the castle with my agents and started sniping. It got pretty bloody from there on end. They sniped about 6 figures when I lost 2 to slit hits from outside the castle. The enemy players started to panic and rushed the door to take out my last agent. He simply knocked them out as they went through the door....

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/bcbe303647.jpg

My partner met up with the samauri and my agents gave them a hand. Finally, Grimnak got some lunch and chomped quite a few charactors.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/094dc00126.jpg

I lost my last agent and concentrated on moving my Marros onto the castle. I had to deal with some meddling Monks first. The Minions had their way with them.....

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/bc43677131.jpg

And, I got my Marro into the same sniping positions as my agents had, and finished up the game with continued sniping.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/8813dc842a.jpg

Without a doubt, if you are playing a neutral castle scenario (where opponents both start outside the castle) you MUST rush and gain the advantage on the wall walks at all costs. There is no substitute for range at height. Ranged units have a big advantage in this type of situation. So, remember, make sure you have some really good ranged units or Drake to close in on the enemy within castle walls. Otherwise, you will have blood to pay!! ;)

-Ski

Grungebob
August 20th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Very cool!! Great map and pics!! How many castle sets is that?

Venom
August 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
:word:

Teamski
August 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Very cool!! Great map and pics!! How many castle sets is that?

Thanks! It took roughly 4 sets with spares....

-Ski

mrbistro
August 20th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Fantastic report! Thanks for the play-by-play and the great pictures. The rush-to-the-castle scenario is a great idea.

gibberish_47
August 20th, 2006, 12:57 AM
I've always liked your maps, Teamski, this one being no exception. I love the twin castles with the bridge connecting them. Nice report, too. :thumbsup:

LilNewbie
August 20th, 2006, 01:03 AM
Great AAR, Ski! Thanks for the great pics.

Newb.

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 20th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Oh man! That setup looks like the standard, top-notch Teamski design! Excellent engineering!

1x Drones
1x Hounds
1x Su-Bak-Na
Marro Warriors

I had:

Saylind
2x Elf Archers
2x Vipers
Venoc Warlord

500 point armies? I'm counting 350 each. Typo?
And why one set of Drones?

noodles
August 20th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Awesome report Ski. I found out firsthand how much of a pain in the arse Drake could be while trying to defend the castle. He's immune to range attacks so he just walked right up to the door and methodically took it out (with the help of Q9).

I absolutely love the castles. I'm jonezing for another fix right now.

hextr1p
August 20th, 2006, 01:52 AM
I can't get over how cool this map looks! I also really like the idea of both teams rushing the castle to gain some sort of strategic advantage. Excellent map and a great report!

dickflea
August 20th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Oh man! i'm so glad i'm getting 4 castles....if not i won't be able to setup such a cool map. :D

Teamski
August 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Oh man! That setup looks like the standard, top-notch Teamski design! Excellent engineering!

1x Drones
1x Hounds
1x Su-Bak-Na
Marro Warriors

I had:

Saylind
2x Elf Archers
2x Vipers
Venoc Warlord

500 point armies? I'm counting 350 each. Typo?
And why one set of Drones?

Thanks everybody! I can't remember the complete armies off the top of my head. Sorry about that...

Remember that most players I have play in the game have no or very limited experience with Heroscape, so their unit/turn selection was less than logical sometimes. This isn't the Texas group you know, hehehehehe.....

-Ski

Dragonslayer
August 20th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Fantastic set up Teamski! The rush to the castle is a great idea and I'm sure I my table will see more than one of those. Thanks for the great report/pics.

bluekitsune13
August 21st, 2006, 05:43 PM
Great map. I think to balance things out you could include glyphs near the edge of the board to increase the powers of the units that are outside the castle. Can't wait for my castles!