PDA

View Full Version : Other Gencon games......who got what?

jcb231
August 16th, 2006, 06:41 PM
So here's what I picked up. Many were free, some were gifts for friends, some were mine all mine and I put up the cash to prove it.

HEROSCAPE
-1 Heroscape Castle
-8 Heroscape Sir Hawthorne exclusive figures

NON-HEROSCAPE
-1 Dreamblade Starter Set
-1 Dreamblade booster
-1 full set of Battlegrounds (10 card decks....a $150 value, plus dice and markers)
-1 Space Station Assault game
-1 Succession game
-1 Cleopatra and the Society of Architects game
-1 Ticket to Ride Europe game
-1 Pig Pile card game
-1 Zombies!!! game
-1 Zombies 2 game expansion
-1 Zombies 3 game exapnsion
-1 Zombies 3.5 game expansion
-1 bag o' zombies figures
-1 Killer Bunnies Khaki deck
-1 Killer Bunnies Pink deck

OTHER NOTABLE PROMOTIONAL STUFF
-1 Redbeard CLOUT booster pack
-1 EVE card game booster pack
-1 Pirates of the Revolution booster pack
-1 Pieces of Eight exclusive coin
-9 Dreamblade promotional figures
-1 Killer Bunnies exclusive card
-1 Ultra-Pro tin deck vault
-lots and lots of Magic cards that folks just randomly gave me and/or my roomates ditched
-some assorted free dice
-a funky free cut-out-and-play Zombie Animals game....check your Gencon goodie bags for it! It's crazy weird!

And a whole lot more.....I would have gotten a few more large items but I had no room!

geddy lifeson
August 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
8 Hawthornes???

Gambit
August 16th, 2006, 09:22 PM
8 Hawthornes???

yeah jbc123 i dont care if i get one but theres half a billion other people who are willing to trade ANYTHING for one. in fact if i recall correctly, geddy said hed trade his wife for one :lol:

but seriously you may want to check out the thread. search hawthorne in the "official heroscape discussion" catagory, im sure you'll find the "official hawthorne begging and groveling thread" eventually.

DarkSpade
August 16th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I picked up Tsuro.

Was going to pick up Dungeon Twister too, but then I remembered my game store gives me a 30% discount so buying any more games while at the con would be really stupid. :oops:

Other things I bought(and can remember):
-- 2 bronze world of warcraft figs ($5 each?)
-- Almost every thing wizkids ever came out with for Crimson Skies ($15 total!)
-- 2 mage knight castle keeps ($4 each)
-- Mechwarrior Ares kit
-- Horrorclix starter and 3 boosters
-- T-shirts:
---- "My life may be wierd, but at least it's not boring"
---- For a friend, "You don't need to look at my chest. These are not the breasts you're looking for. Move along"
---- a mechwarrior shirt
---- a battle tech shirt.
---- A ditgital camera(before the con)

Joah
August 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I got one set for 3 bucks.
Have you played it yet?

jcb231
August 16th, 2006, 09:51 PM
All eight were spoken for, most before the con. Of the eight, one went to Markwars because the man set me up with Nerak. One's mine, and no one can take it from me. The other six have good homes. :-P

Crap dude, where'd you find that? I totally would have bought some of that....I've been itching to try that game.

Next year there needs to be a HS.com bulletin board somewhere, where those who are at the con can throw up good deals they found, where the good booze is, offers to trade free stuff we get, etc etc.

netherspirit
August 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Mesopotamia (50% off)
Elasun The First City (50% off)
Blue Moon City
StarShip Catan
Quest Cards (Game Sets 1 and 2)
Zig Zag
Thurn and Taxis
Maginor ($5 Knizia Game)
Atlanetor (sp?) ($5 Knizia Game)
Magdar ($5 Game)
Some Dice
8 or 10 Swag bags filled with all kinds of goodies

I wanted to get Battleground but couldn't because the demoers sucked. I posted about it in the GenCon thread but I don't think you saw it JCB.

DarkSpade
August 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I got one set for 3 bucks.
Have you played it yet?

Played it back when it first came out a couple times. Great game, but lack of support killed it.

Found it in the booth with the crap load of out of print card games right at the front.

InfinityMax
August 17th, 2006, 12:42 AM
JCB, that Succession game is a hoot. Just don't play it with soft-hearted people - it's extraordinarily cutthroat.

Gabbi
August 17th, 2006, 06:45 AM
Crimson Skies is simply the best game released so far by WK, imho.

I have a couple LEs to give away if someone is interested (maybe someone who took eight Sir Hawthorne? ;))

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game and both expansions (available in the UK only).
Horroclix Starter + 3 boosters + The Great Cthulu.
DarkWorld - missing a few pieces, but eBay will take care of that.
MW Ares set.
MW GF9 terrain set.

InfinityMax
August 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I got a bunch of stuff, but I have a lot more coming. I asked the publishers to ship stuff to me, because I was out of room in the luggage I brought. Of course, I would have had more room if I hadn't been packing presents for my family, but I would rather return without games than without cool gifts.

I got all the Your Move stuff (Succession, Battleground, and that starship game)
I got two starters and ten boosters of EVE
Hex Hex and Hex Hex Next
Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena
Iliad
I bought Bang! because my local store never has it
I bought a little paper solo RPG thing, and GB got the other, and we'll switch after we each get a chance to play the one we got

Front Porch, Immortal Eyes, Gorilla Games, and a few other publishers are sending me a bunch of stuff, too. GenCon was quite successful in terms of getting review product. I'm also hoping Asmodee sees fit to let me review all the Dungeon Twister products, once I write the Iliad review.

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Oh, yeah, I got some awesome minis for a starship game that has not been released. www.ninjamagic.com 's With Hostile Intent!

Here are some of the minis:

http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_kikoku_carrier1.jpg
http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_kikoku_cruiser1.jpg
http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_kikoku_frigate1.jpg
http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_kikoku_battleship.jpg
http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_kikoku_fleet.jpg
http://www.ninjamagic.com/miniatures/thumb_cruiser_and_destroyer.jpg

The pics do not do these justice, they are freakin' sweet! That's why I went ahead and bought them even though the game is not yet out.

InfinityMax
August 17th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, those With Hostile Intent miniatures were fantastic. Mindblowing, even.

Doc, do you paint? Are you going to decorate those ships?

LilNewbie
August 17th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Those are nice minis, Ninth! They have a similar look as the old Noble Armada figures.

Newb's Loot list from GenCon '06:

D&D Fantasy Adventure Board Game and both expansions (available in the UK only). --Thanks to Ninth for finding the deal!
Horroclix Starter + 3 boosters.
The Great Cthulu.
MW Ares Set.
4 Boosters of Davy Jones (PotSM boosters).
Qin RPG book (interesting rpg taking place in the same time frame as the movie "Hero"...the artwork is stunning.)
Dreamblade starter and 3 boosters.
Sir Hawthorne (x2)-one for me and one for a friend here.
Iliad card game from Asmodee.
All the swag from WizKids when you buy their product.
Some very cool engraved gaming dice and some cheap D6s that were on sale.
PotSM GF9 terrain with the nice, vinyl board + two measuring/token packages.
The D&D and SW figures they were giving out at WoTC.

The suitcase weighed exactly 50.0 lbs. and Cthulu rode home wrapped up in plastic and shirts inside my backpack.

It was a great haul and great time.

Newb.

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I know nothing about painting. I was going to learn at Jasco when they put on painting classes, but this is now out. I'm going to read the books and look to folks like you and others in my awesome gaming group for help. Plus, my neighbor from across the street is an artist and an old school D&D guy.

Newb, crap! I didn't even get the D&D and SW minis giveaways! Aargh!http://www.geocities.com/ninthdoc/Nick_Smiley2.gif

LilNewbie
August 17th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Remember, it's not how good you paint but how well you cover up your mistakes. :D

Newb.

jcb231
August 17th, 2006, 01:46 PM
JCB, that Succession game is a hoot. Just don't play it with soft-hearted people - it's extraordinarily cutthroat.

It is a hoot....the wheeling and dealing is going to be fun.

Imax, did you check out Cleopatra and the Society of Architects over at Days of Wonder? It's an awesome, awesome game. Fun pieces to build with, some cool scheming, and nice game speed.

Crimson Skies is simply the best game released so far by WK, imho.

I have a couple LEs to give away if someone is interested (maybe someone who took eight Sir Hawthorne? ;))

As I've said many times, all of mine were spoken for by the time I left the con except the one I'm giving to Markwars and the one I'm keeping for myself. So no deals will be made.

Newb.

What kind of swag were they giving out?

InfinityMax
August 17th, 2006, 01:49 PM
JCB, the negotiations in Succession get so hairy that my daughter started keeping track of how much weasel poo she owed me (I guess that's her word for screwing the old man whenever possible). Man, I love that game. I've played it twice, and it's blood-on-the-water cutthroat fun.

I haven't played Cleopatra. Days of Wonder is a little stingy with review product. I will probably buy it sooner or later, though - they make great games.

LilNewbie
August 17th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Newb.

They had a tier system where if you bought 25.00 worth of product you got a BSG card (yippeee!!), 50.00 got you another item and so on. At 100.00, you got all the items which included an MW Atlas, a huge PotSM ship and Parallax from the DC Heroclix line.

Newb.

molson
August 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I know nothing about painting. I was going to learn at Jasco when they put on painting classes, but this is now out. I'm going to read the books and look to folks like you and others in my awesome gaming group for help. Plus, my neighbor from across the street is an artist and an old school D&D guy.

Newb, crap! I didn't even get the D&D and SW minis giveaways! Aargh!http://www.geocities.com/ninthdoc/Nick_Smiley2.gif

Doc:
The post count may not show it, but I'm a passable painter - any questions are welcome. Pix on request (none HS, unfortunately - yet...). PM me for more info. A nickel's worth of free advice? No matter what anyone tells you, start with good brushes. Everything else will follow.

DarkSpade
August 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot that I preordered the mechwarrior terrain from GF9 early enough to get the extra set of LEs. I then lost one of the four. :(

I also got some faction dice that were only being sold to wizkids envoys. :D

Newb.

They had a tier system where if you bought 25.00 worth of product you got a BSG card (yippeee!!), 50.00 got you another item and so on. At 100.00, you got all the items which included an MW Atlas, a huge PotSM ship and Parallax from the DC Heroclix line.

Newb.

$.01-24 = free card

$25-49 = free tin

$50-74 = Huge PSM ship (con exclusive)

$75- 99 = Levin and his atlas (con exclusive)

$100-109 = parallax (con exclusive)

$110+ = A doughnut (I swear to god, I'm not joking.)

So, the more you spent, the more you got. If you spent $125+, you'd loop around and start getting doubles.

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I also got some faction dice that were only being sold to wizkids envoys. :D

Have you seen how much those are going for on eBay????

That sucks about losing your mech. Have you seen how much those are going for on eBay????

LilNewbie
August 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Were they new faction dice or the older ones? Those are sweet for using in CBT since it's nice to roll all your weapons at once using different colored pairs of dice for each weapon system. :D

Newb.

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 05:31 PM
They were new ones.

Jormi_Boced
August 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I walked away with:

Fortress of the ArchKyrie
Thaelank Tundra
Democrazy
Showbiz Shuffle

In the mail:

Wave 5 with two of the common boosters
Another Fortress of the ArchKyrie
Red Dragon Inn
Tiki Mountain

DarkSpade
August 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Were they new faction dice or the older ones? Those are sweet for using in CBT since it's nice to roll all your weapons at once using different colored pairs of dice for each weapon system. :D

Newb.

They weren't the CBT ones or the old wizkids ones. These are brand new unreleased ones from GF9. :)

The people getting them off ebay are morons. The dice are going to be released eventually for only $6.

I still hope the lost mech will turn up, but I'm not too worried since I'll be getting all of them with my terrain. The three I had left I gave to my friend to help pay for the hotel room.

LilNewbie
August 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for info on the BT dice. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Newb.

jcb231
August 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM
Weren't the donuts free to anyone who bought ANYTHING, no matter what the price?

I got some for free....

ninthdoc
August 17th, 2006, 11:45 PM
DS, Thanks for the info. I'll stop watching the $40+ dice now. *Hides, hangs head in shame...*

Jirel
August 21st, 2006, 12:57 PM
I bought a neat RPG called QIN. Its a Chinese based world writen in English that was being sold by people obviously just off the plane from France. Rather interesting.

ninthdoc
August 21st, 2006, 01:09 PM
I'm happy to report that with a little coaching and simulation, my son and I are thoroughly enjoying D&D Fantasy Adventure Game. He loves it, but sometimes argues w/me b/c he does not understand the rules. He's playing 2 characters and I'm playing 2 + the DM. We are having a great time.

Buddy Lee
August 21st, 2006, 01:16 PM
The two most valuable things I got at Gen Con: Friendships and Memories.

'Nuff Said.

Buddy Lee

LilNewbie
August 21st, 2006, 02:35 PM
I'm happy to report that with a little coaching and simulation, my son and I are thoroughly enjoying D&D Fantasy Adventure Game. He loves it, but sometimes argues w/me b/c he does not understand the rules. He's playing 2 characters and I'm playing 2 + the DM. We are having a great time.

Awesome! That makes the purchase worth it right there!

Newb.

Jirel
August 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM

COOL BEANS!