PDA

View Full Version : A year without World of Warcraft!

Jexik
April 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Today marks a year of me not playing WoW. I used to have a level 70 Orc warrior (http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Feathermoon&n=Jaqim) who made himself a shiny purple axe and all, but now I've been clean for 12 months!

Unfortunately it looks like I've picked up a new habit. There are many hexes upon my household. At least 'scape encourages us to get out and meet new people and share good times.

Anyone else quit, or still play that evil game? I can't help but feel that I'm better off now that I've quit doing a a 4 hour instance run every night.

AmishBurrito
April 16th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I played for a little bit, I only got up to lvl 55, but I got tired of the lack of personal interaction (same reason I can't play solo RPG's). I have been playing mainly board games for a while, but I fear that Starcraft II will own my soul soon enough...

Gomolka
April 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I was addicted to MapleStory for about 2 years before I finally came to the realization that it was a monumental waste of time.

I had a few characters level 120+, and then realized all that I'm doing in the game is throwing away the social aspect of my life for some better pixels.

Although, the pixels were pretty cool .... I doubt I will go back to playing MapleStory ever again.

Rodriquez
April 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
wow nice man and grats...
sadly Im addicted to both WoW and HS..

been playing WoW since the beginning
and HS for several yrs now

cheers
Rod

Jexik
April 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Although, the pixels were pretty cool .... I doubt I will go back to playing MapleStory ever again.
For me though, it's not just WoW. I've pretty much decided to never play any MMO pixel-chase again.

Nooblar
April 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I was clean for about two-three months...then started a new server with a new friend. But being offline for that long helped me not slide back into playing 2-3 hours every day. Now it's pretty much just a little bit on the weekends, or an hour when I have all my work done for the day.

I tried Second Life for a while, but I don't have enough acquaintances on there to make it worthwhile. I don't think I'd ever want to play another MMO unless it offers something totally innovative, like VR gameplay for a flight/space sim.

One of the most important things HeroScape made me realize is that gaming should always be a social activity. The value in wasting your time throwing dice/mashing buttons is communicating with friends between fights/turns/levels.

Jexik
April 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Nooblar, now that you posted, I just remembered the cap you wore in MN. Heh.

Yeah, fall of 2006 I actually quit for about four months, but then I got right back into it when Burning Crusade came out. By February I was back to ludicrous binges, trying to make up for my 2 or 3 weeks of lost leveling time, getting keyed for Karazhan, trying to tank Heroic Blood Furnace or Shattered Halls undergeared and with a LOLDPS spec until the wee hours of the morning... etc. It was fun again, but I had to cut that crap out and graduate college. In April, I said that enough was enough, and I quit.

Two weeks later, I asked that cute, shy, (and a little dorky) girl who lived in my dorm to go see Grindhouse. We're still together now. If I had been playing WoW, I'm almost positive that I never would have made even that lame first move.

Then that July, my friend, the same punk who got me WoW two years earlier, decided to take a chance and get me Heroscape for my birthday.

The rest is history. ;)

HSisforcoolkids
April 17th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately it looks like I've picked up a new habit. There are many hexes upon my household. At least 'scape encourages us to get out and meet new people and share good times.

I've never played WoW because I know that if I do I'll be hooked and forget to talk to people. HS is more expensive (I think) but its qualities allow for me to meet friends and such. The interaction I get with others has become the main reason I love the game so much, and it makes me feel better about being addicted to something!

ewabbie
April 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi, my name is ewabbie and I am an WoW-coholic. I have been WoW free for 7 months 4 days. I first started using Wow at Christmas 2006. It was interfering with my life and some friends made me go cold turkey for a weekend and I have not looked back since. If you have a friend that is a WoW-coholic then do them a favor and step in.

But I can't wait until the WoW minis are released this fall!!!!!!

Lord Pyre
April 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
The only online RPG I've really liked is Kingdom of Loathing. It even limits how much you can play a day, so it's pretty good!

Actually, I play a little Guild Wars, but not too much. I like my Wii games better.

netherspirit
April 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I've been playing for a few months now and I enjoy it. I mostly play by myself or with the girlfriend. Occasionally, I'll try to get into a group to run a dungeon, early in the game it sucks the groups fall apart or the players just plain suck, but I've found that the pickup groups you can get in the later levels are much better.

I do probably play too much, but that's because I have a job that I mostly do from home with maybe 2-3 hours a day in the office. We'll see how things change in the near future when classes are finished and I have to actually start going in to the office all day.

keglo
April 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM
I am a recovered Everquest player. I have been clean for a few years now. I can't start playing WoW or I know I'll fall off the wagon. I would hate to see a total of the hours that I wasted Playing Everquest. A big chunk of my life that I'll never get back. :headshake:

Pygon
April 17th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I played WoW for about a year. I started on a PvP server, didn't have much fun post 30, switched to a normal server, got to level 60 with a human warrior and started grinding for Battleground Ranks and armor. When I realized the only way to get better than Rank 8 was to be with the in crowd, I gave up. The grind was exhausting.

Then I started an undead Horde priest, found out how much better Horde was at Battlegrounds (they really are, it was SOOO much fun). I got to around level 40 and realized pick up groups STINK (I was looking forward to grinding for items in the Scarlet Monastery but didn't get much).

Then I discovered EVE Online. Played that game for 1.5 years and got bored. However, it was a great way to wean off from WoW because it throws much less candy in your face, and makes it obvious that everything you want to have in the game you must work for.

Switched to LOTRO. Played for a few months, got bored.

I started up EVE again last month to check out the new graphics, but was bored with it within 4 days.

So, I'm also currently MMO-less.

Looking back on WoW, I'd have to say I understand why so many people just keep playing and playing. But I got tired of hoping for 'that quintessential MMO moment' that is so rare. A few times I thought about going back, but a stronger voice said "NO!" It's such an easy thing to chase, like that white stag...

lhhgbh
April 17th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I recently started on LOTRO and it is a bit addicting. No complaints though.

massivenewbage
April 17th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I've been WoW clean for 2 years now. My main was a lvl 60 Orc Shaman (they only went to 60 then). I played hard for 13 months, and then I realized that I needed to get my act together and get some work done. So, I don't play WoW anymore, but I do have a nice little house that I take pride in.

I still scape and console game, and thats enough for me.

InfinityMax
April 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
It's funny, I don't see any draw to those games at all. But I can compare it to smoking (with a different set of drawbacks - more free time, but lungs full of cancer). Non-smokers don't tend to see any reason at all that they would try it, but smokers know that they would rather go without dinner than go without a smoke.

ParaGoomba Slayer
April 21st, 2008, 05:16 AM
I play Runescape. I know i'm addicted, and love every minute of it.

(Well not EVERY minute of it, like yesterday I found out that my get-rich-quick scheme wouldn't work. Yeah, wasted approx. 1 Million getting my crafting up to 60)

About girls. Yeah, about them... Even if I didn't play Runescape all day, I still couldn't get a girlfriend. I'd get too nervous and wouldn't know what to say.:oops:

LilMoochie
April 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
I've wisely kept myself away from the MMORPG's because I have a feeling that I'd get completely sucked in. WOW seems like huge amounts of fun, but I daren't load it up. Games without logical stopping points are my personal Kryptonite. I thought about doing it once but I found a LONG, but passably well-written account of how this guy's Eve Online in-game persona bled into his real-life to his detriment.

It just seems like the games like that are sort of all-or-nothing. It's also frustrating to spend so many hours in a world where the designers can change the rules at any time.

Jexik
April 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I've wisely kept myself away from the MMORPG's because I have a feeling that I'd get completely sucked in. WOW seems like huge amounts of fun, but I daren't load it up. Games without logical stopping points are my personal Kryptonite. I thought about doing it once but I found a LONG, but passably well-written account of how this guy's Eve Online in-game persona bled into his real-life to his detriment.

It just seems like the games like that are sort of all-or-nothing. It's also frustrating to spend so many hours in a world where the designers can change the rules at any time.

Wow. I read the link before you edited it out. What a prick. So much for my belief that you can find anything out about someone's actual character by their online persona.

LilMoochie
April 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

Wow. I read the link before you edited it out. What a prick. So much for my belief that you can find anything out about someone's actual character by their online persona.Yeah, I read it a long time ago and posted the link without reading it again. Then I read it again and remembered that
A) the language was really bad and
B) the guy really was a raging chump munkey.

I pulled the link because I wasn't really comfortable linking to it from Heroscapers. Those still interested can find it easily enough through Google.

Still- the point still stands that an otherwise "nice guy" can get sucked into the virtual underworld without really realizing it.

whitestuff
April 23rd, 2008, 09:01 AM
I have never played a MMO on principle alone.

I cannot fathom the appeal of paying monthly to play a game. http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/bwhit89/net%20emotes/NotHappening.gif

Syvaris
April 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
the pay to play is a turn off and no mmorpg has the STORY that and RPG is supposed to have just radnom go and gather quest. My friend though plays at least 6 hours of wow a day, its weird going to his house. I do play the pen and paper version of WOW though, it how WOW is supposed to be played, with a couple other geeks some dice, not light or chicks in sight, YEAH FOR Geeks.

Doey08
May 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I'm currently not playing WoW, because I can't pay for it.

Jexik
May 20th, 2008, 07:14 PM

I cannot fathom the appeal of paying monthly to play a game. http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/bwhit89/net%20emotes/NotHappening.gif

I've never understood this logic. I have spent more money on Heroscape in the last 10 months than I did in two years playing WoW. You save an awful lot of money while playing WoW by buying fewer video games, buying fewer board games, seeing fewer movies, eating less food, and going on fewer dates. From a monetary standpoint, WoW is a steal. From an opportunity cost to the rest of your life standpoint, it's a waste unless you're a gold farmer.

LilMoochie
May 20th, 2008, 11:07 PM

I've never understood this logic. I have spent more money on Heroscape in the last 10 months than I did in two years playing WoW. You save an awful lot of money while playing WoW by buying fewer video games, buying fewer board games, seeing fewer movies, eating less >>quality<< food, and going on >>NO<< dates. From a monetary standpoint, WoW is a steal. From an opportunity cost to the rest of your life standpoint, it's a waste unless you're a gold farmer.
Joking aside, those of us who toughed it out through the rampant hacking of various free MMORPGS can appreciate the allure of a world where every other player has a vested financial interest in the game. They may still be jerks but at least you are ostensibly paying a monthly fee for the powers that be to keep a level playing field.

skyknight
May 21st, 2008, 05:26 AM
I am in the same boat as many of you...I have long work days, lots of kids and no time for a game like this. To say I am compulsive would be an understatement...I do nothing half way...when it comes to work this is good....when it is a hobby it is not such a good trait. So I have decided to stay away and that is where I will remain...away.

Draconious
May 21st, 2008, 06:15 AM
I've been playing WoW the last week or so... I find it a little bit boring, at least in relation to how much it costs. Too much of the same thing over and over... at least with scape its next to never the same game twice.

Wytefang
May 21st, 2008, 08:31 AM
I would echo some of the comments here - like SkyKnight, I tend to get addicted to fun stuff, far too easily, so if I ever did find a good MMO that I enjoyed, I'd be badly involved in it, to the detriment of other, more important things. D'oh!

That being said, fortunately I haven't really found too many really good MMOs, though I recently reviewed Pirates of the Burning Seas (which is why I played it) and thought it was remarkably more fun than any other MMO I'd played due to the action elements it introduced. To me, WoW is nothing more than a pretty colored grind-fest - better-looking, to be sure, than most other MMOs but in no way any different from the issues that plague the entire MMO genre.

Good for you, Jexik. It's better to play a good variety of games and support the hobby, imho. Though there IS something to be said about playing in a world that you've invested a large portion of your time in, too.

A_Train
May 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I played Runescape for a year or so, but I found I wasn't really doing anything fun.
I was mining, all the time. Why? to be a better miner I guess. I had this vision of being able to mine and sell what I mined, and it being the easy way to get good at the game, so I mined for hours at a time.
Eventually I realized 'This game sucks' and stopped playing all together. I haven't looked into an MMORPG or whatever, since.

Doey08
May 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM
I played Runescape for a year or so, but I found I wasn't really doing anything fun.......Eventually I realized 'This game sucks' and stopped playing all together. I haven't looked into an MMORPG or whatever, since.

I played Runescape for 2 minutes and then I hated it. The End.