PDA

View Full Version : GenCon Tourney Results

funrun
August 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM
All GenCon Tourney Results can go in this thread.

Thursday's Update
I just heard from Rychean that Nwojedi won the Valkyrie General War this morning. He won a "Fortress of the Archkyrie, a t-shirt that matches his General, and squad of beautifully hand painted 4th Mass Line" and the custom title "Reigning GenCon Valkyrie General Champ."

This is funny cuz nwojedi called the winner himself with this post last week:
Letting everybody know that I will be giving a fancy title like "pinball Wizard" to anybody that wns one of the big tourneys we run at Gencon

I know i'm a shoe in for the tourney, but you don't have to let everyone know. :)
Congrats nwo!

Ry was just about to start a win-a-wave game, so this is all the info I have so far.

Friday's Update
I spoke to Rychean again today. He said that so far he has won two win-a-waves and went 4-0 in the Gen Con Indy Championship to be seeded #1 for tomorrow's finals. In the process of doing this, he beat yesterday's Valkyrie General War champ, Nwojedi

Interestingly, he also said a lot of people he doesn't even know (including Derrick Weston at the Hasbro booth!) have been recognizing him from his article on the front page here, and a group of people stood around him today just to watch him play his games. He said he feels like some sort of celebrity! :headbang:

Also, at the top of page 3 here. . .
GLASpencerQ (10 years old) did his dad proud by winning a wave in Friday night's win-a-wave tourney!!

his army was Braxas and 2 squads of Marrden Hounds. he won 3 games quickly.

Saturday's Update
Grand Championship Tourney Results

1. spider_poison (Joe Knapper)
2. Nwojedi
3. Rychean

The winner also was awarded a one-on-one game of HS with Craig VanNess (the HS game designer.) About 20 people watched this game. I heard it was close at the end, but Craig won, of course :roll:. lol. The game was videotaped with BuddyLee on play-by-play commentary.

Sunday's Update

Mindshackle Tourney
1. spider_poison (again?!)
2. _____?
3. tie? Rychean & lilwis EDIT: GB There were no ties in my tournaments rankings for the Finals will be announced eventually when the Rychean gets home and settled etc.

allskulls
August 10th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Congrats, Nwojedi! Confidence paid off!

hextr1p
August 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM
That is awesome! Thanks for the update, and congrats to NWOJedi!

MacG
August 10th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Congrats, NWOJedi! Who has the play by play for his glorious victory?

If I can't be there, I at least want to hear about it.

geddy lifeson
August 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Most definately excellent...he definately deserves a title, especially for calling it out beforehand.

Rodriquez
August 11th, 2006, 02:28 AM
battle reports...details...armies vs armies..
come on don't leave us hanging like that

and pics!

Annerios
August 11th, 2006, 02:32 AM
Here are some pics I found at GamingReport.com

http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/d/14003-4/IMG_6828.JPG

http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/d/14006-4/IMG_6830.JPG

I believe that's Grungebob in the shots above.

http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/d/14000-4/IMG_6825.JPG

Venom
August 11th, 2006, 02:37 AM
was is that huge poster in the back?!! :shock: i sure hope its part of the whole HS section

Rodriquez
August 11th, 2006, 02:47 AM
yup that's GB alright.

cheers
Rod

Nwojedi
August 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM
hell yea buddies. BOO YEA!!. I"m the juggernaut ***** ! :)

here's the winning team

1 AE
3 4th Mass
1 raylean (however she's spelled)
1 Ass kicking dice master

I'm gearing up to take the the championship right now. :wink:

markwars
August 11th, 2006, 09:47 AM
ninthdoc said that lilwis finished 2nd. Is that true?

hextr1p
August 11th, 2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/d/14006-4/IMG_6830.JPG

:shock: THERE'S MY T-SHIRT!!

MUST HAVE MORE PICTURES OF THE T-SHIRTS!!

EDIT: I should have said originally, "There's CupidsArt's and my t-shirt!" Seeing as how he is the one who provided the kyrie illustration, and his company printed the shirts.

Supergeek
August 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Congrats, NWOJedi!

allskulls
August 11th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Wow, GBob looks like Gbob :D

Go for it, NWOjedi!

Oogie_Da_Bruce
August 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Congratulations on the win, NWOJedi!!!

I'm sure you made Jandar proud!!!

And thanks to all the people putting on such a great outing!!!

Keep the reports coming!

reapersaurus
August 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
here's the winning team

1 AE
3 4th Mass
1 raylean (however she's spelled)What..... a......SHOCK. :shock: (not)

4th Mass being used to win a tournament? Say it ain;t so!

And if lilwis was 2nd, IIRC she uses a 4th Mass army, too.

If this is correct, I think tournament organizers should be looking REALLY hard for a way to nerf the power of that squad, or tourneys could degenerate into all-4th Mass beatdowns.... :headshake:

feekonea
August 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
wow serious congrats I would have put my (very hopefull) gencon 07 trip as a bet for her to win. Nice job.

HouseMouseGames
August 11th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Did we have enough players to begin the Indy Championship?
Who moved on to the final rounds?

markwars
August 11th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Yes, updates please. :wink:

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 12:08 AM
"If this is correct, I think tournament organizers should be looking REALLY hard for a way to nerf the power of that squad, or tourneys could degenerate into all-4th Mass beatdowns"

I don't see why people don't attend Tournaments with an Anti-4th Mass army. That is what I would do since it is possibly the toughest army to fight against if you are playing a generic team.

-Maybe people won't yell as much when I keep saying the 4th Mass are the Cheese army of HS

GaryLASQ
August 12th, 2006, 12:24 AM
GLASpencerQ (10 years old) did his dad proud by winning a wave in Friday night's win-a-wave tourney!! HouseMouse, the prize form will be in the mail tomorrow for a Wave 5. :)

his army was Braxas and 2 squads of Marrden Hounds. he won 3 games quickly.

i was busy getting beaten by Joah so i didn't see his first two games. but he mention rolling 20 to acid breath a healthy Alastair. and Braxas just tore up any small medium squad figure near her.

his second game he faced another Braxas. my son's Braxas fell to the other guy's DW8K. but his 6 hounds hung tough and finished off the other Braxas, DW8K and Izumi Samauri. this second game was his toughest game.

the third victory was pretty much a repeat of the first and was over quickly.

yagyuninja
August 12th, 2006, 12:31 AM
here's the winning team

1 AE
3 4th Mass
1 raylean (however she's spelled)What..... a......SHOCK. :shock: (not)

4th Mass being used to win a tournament? Say it ain;t so!

And if lilwis was 2nd, IIRC she uses a 4th Mass army, too.

If this is correct, I think tournament organizers should be looking REALLY hard for a way to nerf the power of that squad, or tourneys could degenerate into all-4th Mass beatdowns.... :headshake:

I'm going to love trying out the Nakita Agents against the 4th Massacre. :)

reapersaurus
August 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I don't see why people don't attend Tournaments with an Anti-4th Mass army. Because there is no such thing.

You remember the 14+ page thread about strategies to beat a 4th MAss army - there are no strong strategies against them.

That's the problem. There is no 4th-Mass-killing unit yet.

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'll take a Krav, Syv, Raelin, AE army against that 400 point army 4th Mass army. At 2 attack vs boosted defense and superior range the 4th Mass would go down hard

reapersaurus
August 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM
please, Jason.

just stop. :headshake:

You're hurting us with the simplistic, optimal-case strategic discussions.

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
"please, Jason.

just stop.

You're hurting us with the simplistic, optimal-case strategic discussions"

I'm sorry if I can develop armies that you are not able to think of :( Maybe If you message me I can teach you

UranusPChicago
August 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I'm sorry if I can develop armies that you are not able to think of :( Maybe If you message me I can teach you

I had swore that I would never need to use the Ignore button. Jason, you have made a liar out of me. Though it pains me to do so, I will package my original response and reach toward the button that will ease the pain. Jason, you won't be missed...

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:50 AM
I'll take my proposed army over the posted 4th Mass army any day of the week. If you choose to not want to see counters to an army you like then that is your choice

UranusPChicago
August 12th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Sweet, it works...

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Kinda funny to use a feature and express a sense of surprise at it working

funrun
August 12th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Updates posted to my first post!

:bump:

skyknight
August 12th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Great job guys and I say go RY. My favorite part though is that those HS boxes have the sweepstakes on em, millions will enter only one will win. :wave: I'm the one :P

markwars
August 12th, 2006, 08:05 AM
Now Rychean's a celeb? :shock: I'll have to get his autograph next time I see him. :rofl:

boom
August 12th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Wait, didn't he and his girlfriend just break up so he went on a Heroscape binge? Now he's poised for the championship. Sweet. Anyone want my wife? Anyone?

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 12th, 2006, 11:09 AM
NWO, Rychean, Gary's son, JOAH!
Wow guys! You kick major butt! Keep it going!

Braxas with two sets of hounds - nice combination. I don't think I've ever seen that line-up. Interesting choices and oh so devestating.

Wait, didn't he and his girlfriend just break up so he went on a Heroscape binge? Now he's poised for the championship. Sweet. Anyone want my wife? Anyone?

:rofl:

markwars
August 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
NWO, Rychean, Gary's son, JOAH!
Wow guys! You kick major butt! Keep it going!

Braxas with two sets of hounds - nice combination. I don't think I've ever seen that line-up. Interesting choices and oh so devestating.

I am absolutely going to try that Braxas/Hounds combo at our next game day. Good for the lil guy! :D

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 12th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I am absolutely going to try that Braxas/Hounds combo at our next game day. Good for the lil guy! :D

Me too. And it's really cool - when I try someone's combination I always name them after the originator - 'UPC's army', 'Guerillanator's combo' and such. Now Gary's son has reached that status in my group! My buddies won't know who I'm referring to as they hardly visit this site, but I will.
:rock:

Nice draft - only two card types to deal with, nice way to lock up opponents while Braxas comes in and does her stuff, and I'm sure the starting zone has some room left for the Hounds to get away from Braxas if they start with a lousy movement roll. 8)

Again, props to Gary's son!

wisinger
August 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
i was the third victim to the braxas / hound army last night. was gruelling (and fast). that boy is just a dice rolling mad man (great job to him). my 4th time to face braxas (this time was with AE, Crav, Me-Buq-Sa, and 2 Archers). he just couldn't miss with the breath. the other games against Braxas i was able to hand it to him very readily, but the little man, was defending against 5 attacks dice from the AE (glyph and elevation from the 2nd marker until they all died), and just ate my lunch

Jason,

your army isn't effective against the 4th mass, i would save the key strokes in offending people, and speaking from ignorance.

the only way i have been able to get lucky against a 4th mass line is to use the AE, Q9 and archers. then it was mostly dice roll, i shudder when i see them marching at me, and start to wet myself, when the first statement it "i will wait and fire".

off for fun land in indy for me

GaryLASQ
August 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
hey wisinger. things were crazy at the tournament and since i was only there on Friday i didn't get to meet everyone.

just so you feel better about the defeat, while he and i were at home deciding what to bring with us he tried his army out on mine and it only took him 17 minutes to wipe out my Raelin, Krav and 2 squads of Minions.

and while asking him which game went the fastest, it was actually his second game (his nearest loss) that was over in less than 20 minutes. the fact that they both had a Braxas made the figure count low.

the nice thing about Braxas and Hounds is you have zero small/medium figures. so the other guy's Braxas couldn't use her Acid Breath. no Paralyzing Stare, etc...

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM
"your army isn't effective against the 4th mass, i would save the key strokes in offending people, and speaking from ignorance"

With that kind of in depth, tactical analysis it is impossible to argue :(

Try playing it actually. Any army that can outrange the 4th Mass have a huge advantage. Rolling at only 2 attack dice they inflict minimal if any damage. Heck just Krav + Raelin can take out gigantic portions of a 4th Mass army unless unlucky

wisinger
August 12th, 2006, 01:06 PM
i apologize jason, i forgot to state that i have tried that army, and it was a medium length game (about 20-25 minutes) both times that i have tried it.

hope that makes you feel better, it wasn't a shorty.

GaryLASQ
August 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM
when I try someone's combination I always name them after the originator....Now Gary's son has reached that status in my group!.....Again, props to Gary's son!thanks HeH. the little guy is reading along with me. :)

how about "Spencer's Poisonous Plague" ?

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Now Gary's son has reached that status in my group!.....Again, props to Gary's son!thanks HeH. the little guy is reading along with me. :)

There you have it! 8)

jdtenor
August 12th, 2006, 01:20 PM
GaryLASQ wrote[b]
GLASpencerQ (10 years old) did his dad proud by winning a wave in Friday night's win-a-wave tourney!!

way to go GLASpencerQ

ultradoug
August 12th, 2006, 01:25 PM
USE THE DAMN QUOTE BUTTON!

allskulls
August 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Congrats to all the winners!

'USE THE DAMN QUOTE BUTTON!"

What's a quote button?

GaryLASQ
August 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
jason, look over to the right hand side of your screen. it looks a lot like this...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif
move the mouse pointer over it and click on the the left mouse button.

putting "" around someone else's statement just ain't cutting it my friend.

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
"i apologize jason, i forgot to state that i have tried that army, and it was a medium length game (about 20-25 minutes) both times that i have tried it.

hope that makes you feel better, it wasn't a shorty."

Both times I have used it it mopped up :) Guess we play differently

ultradoug
August 12th, 2006, 01:37 PM
USE THE DAMN QUOTE BUTTON!

jason, look over to the right hand side of your screen. i looks a lot like this...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif
move the mouse pointer over it and click on the the left button.

"i apologize jason, i forgot to state that i have tried that army, and it was a medium length game (about 20-25 minutes) both times that i have tried it.

hope that makes you feel better, it wasn't a shorty."

Both times I have used it it mopped up :) Guess we play differently

Sigh.

Rodriquez
August 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
the only way i have been able to get lucky against a 4th mass line is to use the AE, Q9 and archers. then it was mostly dice roll, i shudder when i see them marching at me, and start to wet myself, when the first statement it "i will wait and fire".

off for fun land in indy for me

well I've found the venoc army werks decently against 4th mass(if yer getting the dice rolls and frenzy), ie Venoc WL, Armocsx2, Aubsx2...

Grats to all who won down there and good luck on todays matches

cheers
Rod

allskulls
August 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
jason, look over to the right hand side of your screen. i looks a lot like this...

"your army isn't effective against the 4th mass, i would save the key strokes in offending people, and speaking from ignorance"

With that kind of in depth, tactical analysis it is impossible to argue

Try playing it actually. Any army that can outrange the 4th Mass have a huge advantage. Rolling at only 2 attack dice they inflict minimal if any damage. Heck just Krav + Raelin can take out gigantic portions of a 4th Mass army unless unlucky
:shock:

GaryLASQ
August 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM
rats, i'm getting quoted before i had a chance to fix the "i" to "it" in "IT looks a lot like this..."

ultradoug
August 12th, 2006, 01:47 PM

With that kind of in depth, tactical analysis it is impossible to argue

Hey I can use the quote buton too! Yay.

rats, i'm getting quoted before i had a chance to fix the "i" to "it" in "IT looks a lot like this..."

wtf?
wait this topics like so off track. I blame... everyone else.

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 01:49 PM
"Hey I can use the quote buton too! Yay"

:( I can't. Fortuantely for us I have " and "

ultradoug
August 12th, 2006, 01:51 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f348/coolmondoug/zzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

geddy lifeson
August 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM
It no use UD...some people just don't get it.

Congrats to all the winners BTW!

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I thougt there were going to be tons of HS tournaments, what ahppened in all of them, where are all the battle by battle reports of them

skyknight
August 12th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Patience young one, you will get all the info when folks get back. I am pretty sure that these guys are enjoying themselves very much and just want to have a good time. If you are in such a hurry, next year for on the spot reporting go yourself but do not ask others to spend their money and waste their time reporting blow by blow if you are not willing to even shell the cash to get there and observe for yourself. Let these guys have their fun and don't **** em off when they get back and see all the crap being slung. Chill out, sit the f$&& down and raise your hand and you will be called on when they are ready.

Jason
August 12th, 2006, 08:41 PM
It's ironic to be in the central HS website on the web and be unhappy that people are dying for updates. I think that is a good thing since it is a sign of strong interest

skyknight
August 12th, 2006, 08:43 PM
you didn't raise your hand :x

feekonea
August 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Wow, congrats to the little man, and ry too of course! I dont really care who wins, as long as we got the HSers winnin! represent! :D

skyknight
August 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Hush you I'm tryin to discipline here :wink:

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Wow, congrats to the little man, and ry too of course! I dont really care who wins, as long as we got the HSers winnin! represent! :D

Right! I agree. Go 'Scapers!

Joah
August 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
I call him "SkullRollerLASQ". He gets a really funny smile on his face when I do.

I wasn't even going to play in the last Win-a-wave, until I got my hands on the Deathstalkers.

I went 2 and 0, then came Ry.

I made some dumb moves.
Was rolling for crap. Ry took me out.

I'll go into more later...

Congrats Ry. It was GREAT meeting you.

The Wild Boar Saloon rocks!

:drool:

gibberish_47
August 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I've played armies like your "anti-4th" one, and have cleaned the floor with my Minute Men. So I think I can call :bs: on this issue with at least some RL knowledge. :roll:

lilwis
August 12th, 2006, 11:46 PM
I'll take a Krav, Syv, Raelin, AE army against that 400 point army 4th Mass army. At 2 attack vs boosted defense and superior range the 4th Mass would go down hard

Your strategic analysis is severly one sided. How can you raise the 'vs boosted defense' of Raelin and not give the additional attack of 'wait then fire'. ?

If you are going to make it a given that raelin will ALWAYS be within 4 LOS spaces then it is only fair to give the opponent the advantage of Wait then fire as well. If anything, when strategizing it is always best to underestimate your own army and over estimate the opponents. Luck doesn't cut it--as it is too finicky.

I have played 4th mass against that specific army with Raelin and I will tell you that Raelin is the first to go down. I have played several various army that had Raelin and it also went down.

True the 4th mass has 2 base attacks. But they have a huge potential of Height (+1), Marcus Decimus (+1), wait then fire (+1). So you are looking at 5 attack shooting off 4 times.
Okay..maybe Marcus won't be drafted, but that's still 4 attacks X4.

4th Mass are not indestructible. They are not outrageous on stats alone, but they have HUGE potential due to the volitile attack ratio X4.

But like you said .. I guess we just play differently. :wink:

wisinger
August 13th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Sweet, it works...

silence is bliss, thank you oh great one.

Jason
August 13th, 2006, 12:12 AM
"True the 4th mass has 2 base attacks. But they have a huge potential of Height (+1), Marcus Decimus (+1), wait then fire (+1). So you are looking at 5 attack shooting off 4 times."

Even if Raelin goes down, before she does the 4th Mass should have suffered heavy casualties. Played smartly, the 4th Mass should not be getting height either against any unit that can outrange them. Additionally they should almost never get wait and fire against a squad that outranges them- with the 1 exception being if the 4th Mass user goes 2nd in round 3 then wins initiative the next round. I'll gladly take on any 4th Mass army anyone want to run against me. (open invitation to anyone attending the Boston tournament in Early Sept)

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Jason you just don't get it dude. There are plenty of maps where the 4th Mass can get height long before you can get in range of them. And what if you are playing against 5 units of them? Sure they may take a few hits, but there are tons of them.

And why can't you use the quote button? Are you just trying to **** off UD or what?

Velenne
August 13th, 2006, 11:48 AM
GO RYCHEAN!!

Seriously, I was pulling for him to win the whole thing since we last spoke at UPC's gameday.

You deserve it man! See if you can get that Glyph of Drunken Mirth from ninthdoc!

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Did he win the big one?

Nwojedi
August 13th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I just posted the battle report for the final championship match.

RY was the only other one, besides the champion to defeat my army this the whole weekend. It was during the semifinals on the last match. BOth of us were already a shoe in for the finals. So it wouldn't have cost either of us anything to win or lose. He got me with a hodgepodge army, with ubber dice rolling on his part.

Jason
August 13th, 2006, 03:12 PM
"Jason you just don't get it dude. There are plenty of maps where the 4th Mass can get height long before you can get in range of them. And what if you are playing against 5 units of them? Sure they may take a few hits, but there are tons of them.

And why can't you use the quote button? Are you just trying to **** off UD or what?"

With range you can stand back outside the range of their height advantage. If they kept waiting for me to advance I'd take my Krav and kill 1 or 2 4th Mass then retreat and make them leave their height advantage and approach me. If they didn't do this I'd just sit there and win based upon points.

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 03:39 PM
You are either 13 with a lot to learn or you're 34 and really mean spirited. :roll:

Jason
August 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM
I'm neither, I'm 25 and I live for competition :)

skyknight
August 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
allright then..lets wrestle...first one to snap the others neck wins :twisted:

Nwojedi
August 13th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I'm neither, I'm 25 and I live for competition :)

Dude, why wern't you at gen con then, so I could have handed your ass back to you? I was the juggernaut *****!!! :D

funrun
August 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM

first post updated.

Jason
August 13th, 2006, 05:19 PM
"Dude, why wern't you at gen con then"

If you feel like paying for next year's trip then it's a deal :) Plus I'm busy studying for the GMAT currently :)

I'd have loved to have provided a beatdown :wink:

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I'd love to smack you with a quote button.

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Did anyone keep records of all of the HS tourney results?

funrun
August 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM
I bet GB did.

markwars
August 13th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I hope so. And I want to know more about the guy named "newcomer, I don't remember his name". That's such a fascinating name....it just rolls off the tongue. :P

CornPuff
August 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Forgive me, I'm posting from my cell phone !

I won a win a wave on thursday night, and placed 16th of 27 in the general tourney. There were 3 8 person heats on thursday, so there was 2 other winners

Meet my army, the 'death dealers':
2x Marrden Hounds
2x Minions of utgar

This army was basically designed around soulrazor, but do well on the flatter maps as well.

I forget my opponents in the win a wave (sorry!) except for nwo jedi. He wasn't playing his winning army though.

In the 4 rounds I played in the main tourney, I remember going against codeman, wisinger, a guy named dustin, and truth.

Codeman went with beast bonding, and played very solid. In the end, a couple of swogs and 2 arrows took down my final minions. Also, I wounded krug to the max, but couldn't finish the job. Krug broke a few minions before I finally finished the job. Defensive play won the game for the little gruts

Dustin played a great game. His scottish invince-a-dirks were rolling 5 atk dice against my costly minions for a while. I pushed a hsers.com card on him, so hopefully we will see him on the boards.

In my third game, I beat truth on soulrazor. Truth is an awesome guy in person, and doesn't like to blame things on the dice (even when he maybe should ). Here's a sample: raelin rolled 0 of 8 shields against 6 skulls. Q9 rolled 1 of 7 shields against 5 skulls. Ouch. I'd like to rematch truth sometime on a different map, maybe without the crazy dice.

Final match was against wisinger. His solid play, first round drop, and aubrien frenzy decimated my forces. Aubriens are the death dealers mortal enemies now :)

Anyway, I had a blast. I met a lot of people from the boards. Its no surprise that they were great players and fun to be around.

Thanks to gb for apearheading the events, and thanks to house mouse for putting up the goods!

Also, a quick shout out to chaos child, who was always at the hs tables volunteering. I mean all the time. Rock on

GaryLASQ
August 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Meet my army, the 'death dealers':
2x Marrden Hounds
2x Minions of utgar

This army was basically designed around soulrazor, but do well on the flatter maps as well.

nice. i also had 2 squads of Minions. and was hoping to get on a Soulrazor map. unfortunatley i did not (got a Forsaken Waters map). and Joah taught me about the Gladiatron/Blastatron combo...

reapersaurus
August 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
someone played the Glad/Blast combo already?

We MUST get much more tournament results in here......
hopefully by tomorrow, more complete army breakdowns of the winning armies will come up.

ChaosChild
August 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Also, a quick shout out to chaos child, who was always at the hs tables volunteering. I mean all the time. Rock on

Yeah, I think I watched too many games. They are all bleeding together so, I remember very little of the games that I played. First up was the Valkyrie General tournament. I was the only one to play Einar so, I got the prize for winningest Einar player. :roll: However, I did win 3 games with a by to come in second after Nwojedi.

My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2

As for the Win-A-Waves and the Mind Shackle, I got my *** handed to me. Maybe I should have stuck with the Sacred Band and Parmenio.

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
The winning General of the Grand Championship used an Orc army with many blade and Arrow Gruts, Krug, lots of Swogs. What is more important than what he fielded, is how he used them.

Venom
August 14th, 2006, 12:26 AM
go orcs!! :D

Jason
August 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Is it safe to assume that the winning Orc army would have exceeded official starting zone limits?

"My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2 "

Sacred Band are underated if you ask me. Although now with the Ashra I'd draft them over the SB more often

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Is it safe to assume that the winning Orc army would have exceeded official starting zone limits?

No it did not. It also had Raelin. It has one tournaments before up here.

1x Raelin
3x Swog Rider
3x Grut Archers
1x Krug

reapersaurus
August 14th, 2006, 12:52 AM
The winning General of the Grand Championship used an Orc army with many blade and Arrow Gruts, Krug, lots of Swogs. What is more important than what he fielded, is how he used them.just wondering if this is the official battle report of the tournament or not.

Are you adding more to this, or does someone have more complete army composition totals?

Thanks in advance.

Nwojedi
August 14th, 2006, 12:59 AM
i already posted the battle report for that orc army. Look in my battle report I posted this morning. I gave the run down, on how he Took down the juggernaut.

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 01:00 AM
The winning General of the Grand Championship used an Orc army with many blade and Arrow Gruts, Krug, lots of Swogs. What is more important than what he fielded, is how he used them.just wondering if this is the official battle report of the tournament or not.

Are you adding more to this, or does someone have more complete army composition totals?

Thanks in advance.I realized that it was a waste to do army comp for the entire tourney. The top 8 finalists were made to submit their armies. Let me see if I can find those rosters in my stack of 150 other rosters from the previous tourneys.

Venom
August 14th, 2006, 01:02 AM
so what all did you win Nwojedi? and if anyone knows, what did Ry win as well?

Nwojedi
August 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
for winning the General war, and comming 2nd on the championship. I won

7 castle sets EDIT: Craig said "Give me the names of the winners and I will send them some stuff like a box of three castles sets or something"! GB
Full Set of wave 5
1 Imax Dice Tower
set of Custom housemouse Dice
Custom painted 4th mass set
2 heroscapers T shirts
1 Jandar Champion T shirt
Nerak

not a bad haul for kicking ass the whole weekend..huh?

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 14th, 2006, 01:06 AM
I did win 3 games with a by to come in second after Nwojedi.

My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2

See reading this just makes me very happy. I've had my eye on the SB and 'disciplined' combinations a lot since Wave 4. I've fielded Marcus and Parmenio with the SB several times and I'm liking them more and more. They don't seem to hold up against the likes of Braxas, so I know they're not the end-all, be-all.

But That's great to hear you did real well with the disciplined! Nice going, ChaosChild!

GaryLASQ
August 14th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Let me see if I can find those rosters in my stack of 150 other rosters from the previous tourneys.sounds like you could have used a little more help with running the tourneys...

thanks much for putting it all together. i'm sure my son will remember Friday's win-a-wave for many years, if not the rest of his life. :)

Jason
August 14th, 2006, 01:12 AM
GrungeBob : "The winning General of the Grand Championship used an Orc army with many blade and Arrow Gruts, Krug, lots of Swogs. What is more important than what he fielded, is how he used them."

Jormi_Boced:

"No it did not. It also had Raelin. It has one tournaments before up here.

1x Raelin
3x Swog Rider
3x Grut Archers
1x Krug"

You are contradicting G Bob. He said it had Blade Gruts as well but according to you the person did not have any o_O

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 01:12 AM

Thanks in advance.I realized that it was a waste to do army comp for the entire tourney. The top 8 finalists were made to submit their armies. Let me see if I can find those rosters in my stack of 150 other rosters from the previous tourneys.

OK I found them:

Joe Knapper:
Arrow Gruts X3
Swog X3
Raelyn
Krug

Nwojedi:
Airborne Elite
4th Mas X3
Raelyn

Jormi Boced
Marcus
Legionaires X3
MeBurqSa
Krav Maga

John Knapper:
Legionaires X2
4th Mass X2
MeBurqSa
Marcus

Rychean
Tagawa
Krav Mag
Marro Warriors
Raelyn
MeBurqSa

Dustin Sikora
Minions X2
Finn
Krav Mag

Lilnewb:
Neffleheim
Charos

Dan Justice:
Legionaires
DW9000
Marcus
Airborne Elite

Jason
August 14th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I like the Nilfheim/Charos army. Easy to keep track of your pieces :)

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I would like to mention the shear prominance of the AE. These guys were very much a part of these tourney events. Thewre were times when they came in early and decomated an opponent's army. There were a couple of times where they never showed up at all.

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 01:20 AM
GrungeBob : "The winning General of the Grand Championship used an Orc army with many blade and Arrow Gruts, Krug, lots of Swogs. What is more important than what he fielded, is how he used them."

Jormi_Boced:

"No it did not. It also had Raelin. It has one tournaments before up here.

1x Raelin
3x Swog Rider
3x Grut Archers
1x Krug"

You are contradicting G Bob. He said it had Blade Gruts as well but according to you the person did not have any o_O

Yeah, I know I was, because I have played agains that army many times. I even played it twice in the tournament. I ended up winning a wave and some boosters.

Jason
August 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I think the AE are a borderline must-especially if using glyphs. In designing tournament armies I almost always start with the assumption that the Krav and AE are auto includes then work on filling out the rest of the army

Nwojedi
August 14th, 2006, 01:21 AM
How the AE were used, and appeared was the KEY to the battles where AE were used. it wasn't the 4th mass that won so many matches for me. it was the AE. And because of the way I used the AE in the final battle, is the reason I lost that matchup. That was the strongpoint of my army.

Venom
August 14th, 2006, 01:28 AM
nice win Nwojedi

GaryLASQ
August 14th, 2006, 01:37 AM
AE are still the most unique squad of the unique squads. they are the only squad with a Special Attack. (so far)

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Lilnewb:
Neffleheim
Charos

Dude, this draft is bloody brilliant. This was Guerillanator's choice for Soulrazor. Two cards, engaging nightmare, Ice shard death from on high.
I would love to hear how you came up with this and how you did with these two warriors.

Great choice!

Gary's son's win-a-wave army is another streamlined draft masterpiece.

I personally cannot stand the AE! :D They're definitely a very popular tourney choice. :roll:

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 01:39 AM
AE are still the most unique squad of the unique squads. they are the only squad with a Special Attack. (so far)Roman archers? Oh I see you said Unique!!

GaryLASQ
August 14th, 2006, 01:44 AM
AE are still the most unique squad of the unique squads. they are the only squad with a Special Attack. (so far)Roman archers? Oh I see you said Unique!!heh. a common squad with a Special Attack is even better. not to mention the fact that Arrow Volley remains the most potent single Ranged attack in the game (provided you can get the little guys into position).

Rodriquez
August 14th, 2006, 02:51 AM
AE are still the most unique squad of the unique squads. they are the only squad with a Special Attack. (so far)Roman archers? Oh I see you said Unique!!heh. a common squad with a Special Attack is even better. not to mention the fact that Arrow Volley remains the most potent single Ranged attack in the game (provided you can get the little guys into position).

and position actually isna all that important except in a defensive scheme..
since the volley doesna stack with bonus's...

I've taken a squad of rom archers and parked them down below(way down below) as well as in middle of the water and just shoot at anything that comes near them..
and it has werked pretty well...Poor Jotun....

cheers
Rod

feekonea
August 14th, 2006, 03:28 AM

Yeah, I think I watched too many games. They are all bleeding together so, I remember very little of the games that I played. First up was the Valkyrie General tournament. I was the only one to play Einar so, I got the prize for winningest Einar player. :roll: However, I did win 3 games with a by to come in second after Nwojedi.

My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2

As for the Win-A-Waves and the Mind Shackle, I got my *** handed to me. Maybe I should have stuck with the Sacred Band and Parmenio.

...As I say time and time again, the SB and Parmenio are undderated. I love those guys. How'd the valguard do for ya? I dont usually run him when I play.

markwars
August 14th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Reports are finally starting to trickle in. :D Very interesting army for the Grand Champ.

funrun
August 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM

updates to first post, I think I finally got the names and final places straightened out. If not, someone correct me ASAP!

As I read up on this thread I changed others' news bits to green so this thread should be easy reading up to here at least.

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 09:46 AM

updates to first post, I think I finally got the names and final places straightened out. If not, someone correct me ASAP!

As I read up on this thread I changed others' news bits to green so this thread should be easy reading up to here at least.

I actually lost to Rychaen in the second round of the mindshackle tourney. If only I would have chosen a different order for my Braxas rolls.

funrun
August 14th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I took pics during the Mindshackle Tourney and put them in my gallery so they show in the GenCon06 album. Here are the good ones. . .

Mindshackle Semi-finals Group Photo
Foreground: jacob_j_p vs. Rychean. Middleground: John Knapper (spider_poison's brother) and netherspirit observe. Background: spider_poison vs. lilwis. Observing in back: ______
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10083/normal_semifinals.jpg

Grungebob schools lilwis on how to take down the HS Grand Champion (and soon-to-be Mindshackle Champion), spider_poison. Too bad even he couldn't help her!
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10083/normal_GBschoolsLilwis.jpg

Rychean checks line of sight against jacob_j_p.
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10083/normal_LOS.jpg

Jormi_Boced et al playing in the quarter finals. He was beat by Rychean (whose hand is cut off here.)
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/10083/normal_JormiEtal.jpg

yagyuninja
August 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Yay pictures! Thanks funrun!

markwars
August 14th, 2006, 12:05 PM
How old is that spider_poison kid?!?!?!?! :shock: He looks to be about 15 or 16 tops.

gibberish_47
August 14th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Yep, spider_poison is a great opponent. I've played him in one of the Austin tournaments, and he knows what he's doing. Heck, he beat me! :D

jacob_j_p
August 14th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, I'm the one that got second place in the mind shackle tournament. I used NeGokSa and three squads of microcorp.

I'd say it's better to be lucky than good, because that's how I got as far as I did. I rolled a fair amount of saves with the stealth suits, and my opponents had some really bad defense rolls. At least up until the finals match.

Thanks to all the guys that set up and ran the games, they were a lot of fun.

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Spider_Poison very rarely makes mistakes when playing a game.

Grungebob
August 14th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Spider_Poison very rarely makes mistakes when playing a game.This is essentially what makes winners in Heroscape. I watched him and noticed very few errors in judgement. He also uses synergistic forces alot.

R˙chean
August 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Spider_Posion (joe) is 20

His Brother (jon) is 16

These boys can play some Heroscape!! I played Jon in the General and the Grand, but sadly never played Spider_Posion.

They were traveling with Jormi and Codeman.

I hope no one minds the specifics!

Jacob, thanks for clearing up the ______ ;-) ! I couldn't remember when you told me.

For all reading, Jacob JP was also in the final 8 of the championship!

I will post some details of things that I remember once I gather my thoughts.

feekonea
August 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM

The roman archers suck horribly, they are only good hero killers IF you can get them into a postion. I absoulutly hate them.

markwars
August 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
The Roman Archers in the hands of skilled players (I'm apparently not one of those yet) are freaking deadly.

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM
The only time I would pick Roman Archers is to put them on the castle ramparts.

gibberish_47
August 14th, 2006, 02:34 PM
I recently used my Roman Archers for the first time, and I had a blast! I was playing a friendly game against one of the best players in my area, and another guy who just plays every now and then on Mount Magma. I had a lot of fun nuking figures from across the river. They eventually went down to Guilty, but not before inflicting some pretty good damage.

markwars
August 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Everyone in the DFW gaming group knows that UPC can kill you with these guys. Of course UPC kills me with just about any army he picks, but that's a different story. :P

feekonea
August 14th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Everyone in the DFW gaming group knows that UPC can kill you with these guys. Of course UPC kills me with just about any army he picks, but that's a different story. :P

:lol: I have only used these guys twice, once they took down about their point, and the other time, (and most recent) they did 2 damage to mimiring, finishing him off, and killed 3 arrow gruts. I used 2 squads of them though, so they were a little under par. I lost the stupid game by 2 frickin arrow gruts too. :x

ChaosChild
August 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM

My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2

...As I say time and time again, the SB and Parmenio are undderated. I love those guys. How'd the valguard do for ya? I dont usually run him when I play.

Valguard worked great. Made him take leaving engagement attacks a couple of times. Seven life really helps a lot. Him and Parmenio got to move the most. With an attack and defense glyph on the battlefield, Marcus wasn't really needed for his attack boost so, I had him hang back. In my third game, vs. truth, Valguard got a few attacks in on some Aubrien Archers. However, it was my lucky death defy rolls that won the game.

feekonea
August 14th, 2006, 07:40 PM

My army:
Valguard
Marcus
Parmenio
Sacred Band x2

Valguard worked great. Made him take leaving engagement attacks a couple of times. Seven life really helps a lot. Him and Parmenio got to move the most. With an attack and defense glyph on the battlefield, Marcus wasn't really needed for his attack boost so, I had him hang back. In my third game, vs. truth, Valguard got a few attacks in on some Aubrien Archers. However, it was my lucky death defy rolls that won the game.

Oh thanks for the info, I might try that later.

LilNewbie
August 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Lilnewb:
Neffleheim
Charos

Dude, this draft is bloody brilliant. This was Guerillanator's choice for Soulrazor. Two cards, engaging nightmare, Ice shard death from on high.
I would love to hear how you came up with this and how you did with these two warriors.

Great choice!

Gary's son's win-a-wave army is another streamlined draft masterpiece.

I personally cannot stand the AE! :D They're definitely a very popular tourney choice. :roll:

Umm...well, you see....my first thought was I didn't want to concentrate too hard on the game and just enjoy the experience (which I did :D ). The second thought was I didn't want to play a "standard" army configuration. After looking through the cards several times, it just struck me. Nilf has range and a dang good combat score if he does get engaged and Charos is well...Charos. 395...easy...no fuss and no muss. I went 3 and 1 the first day and Jormi kicked me in the shins during the first game of the second day. :D All the players were awesome. No one threw a fit (that I saw) and were all great sports! We drew a large lookey-loo crowd and it appeared to me that Hasbro even sold out of the Master Sets by Day 4.

Can't wait for next year.

Newb.

reapersaurus
August 14th, 2006, 09:08 PM
We drew a large lookey-loo crowd and it appeared to me that Hasbro even sold out of the Master Sets by Day 4.Wow.

That might almost suggest to Hasbro that having demos and displays and tournaments at large game conventions might......... sell............ product.

Naaaaaa, what am I thinking?
That's crazy talk.

:roll:

Jormi_Boced
August 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
We drew a large lookey-loo crowd and it appeared to me that Hasbro even sold out of the Master Sets by Day 4.Wow.

That might almost suggest to Hasbro that having demos and displays and tournaments at large game conventions might......... sell............ product.

Naaaaaa, what am I thinking?
That's crazy talk.

:roll:

I think Craig and the Heroscape guys understand all that stuff, but I don't think Hasbro ever will. I can't stress enough how cool all of the Heroscape folks were. I talked to all of them, and some for great length. None of them even tried to brush me off that I could tell, they were all uber cool.

reapersaurus
August 15th, 2006, 03:46 AM
I think Craig and the Heroscape guys understand all that stuff, but I don't think Hasbro ever will. Just to be clear, I usually use "Hasbro" to refer to the company, and "the designers" to refer to the people making the game.

I'm convinced the designers know what's up and how to support a game properly, since they took Hero's invite and were involved well at .net.

It is Hasbro, the suit-and-legal-driven entity that is screwing this game and wasting the opportunity is has to showcase it in many effective ways, with very little effort.

I sent them an email asking if they would support a HS tournament out here in Sept., and 3 replies from them ended up with "there are no Hasbro plans at this time to support a tournament."
I believe reading between the lines, Chris (and of course the designers) see the obvious benefit, but are not allowed to support the game they way they wish they could. :headshake:

Jormi_Boced
August 15th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I think Craig and the Heroscape guys understand all that stuff, but I don't think Hasbro ever will. Just to be clear, I usually use "Hasbro" to refer to the company, and "the designers" to refer to the people making the game.

I'm convinced the designers know what's up and how to support a game properly, since they took Hero's invite and were involved well at .net.

It is Hasbro, the suit-and-legal-driven entity that is screwing this game and wasting the opportunity is has to showcase it in many effective ways, with very little effort.

I sent them an email asking if they would support a HS tournament out here in Sept., and 3 replies from them ended up with "there are no Hasbro plans at this time to support a tournament."
I believe reading between the lines, Chris (and of course the designers) see the obvious benefit, but are not allowed to support the game they way they wish they could. :headshake:

I have recieved those emails as well. I just wanted to reiterate how cool the Heroscape people are, and I think they have their hands tied on a lot of this stuff.

Grungebob
August 16th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Here is a listing of the actual Rankings for the Championship for those that are interested.

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

truth
August 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Here is a listing of the actual Rankings for the Championship for those that are interested.

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Has it been mentioned that Lil Newbie took 5th place using only Charos and Nilfhiem?

LilNewbie
August 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting the results, GB. This was a great tourney! All the participants were excellent and I enjoyed seeing the different play styles from all the players.

Newb.

Jormi_Boced
August 16th, 2006, 02:22 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Just wondering how I am 4th instead of 3rd. Spider Poison was the only person to beat me in the whole tournament. Not that it matters much anyway, I just wish I wouldn't have had to play the guy that I play all the time and traveled 9 hours with multiple times in the same tournament unless it was best 2 of 3 in the finals. It is just a little unfortunate we got paired like that.

jcb231
August 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I don't see why people don't attend Tournaments with an Anti-4th Mass army. Because there is no such thing.

You remember the 14+ page thread about strategies to beat a 4th MAss army - there are no strong strategies against them.

That's the problem. There is no 4th-Mass-killing unit yet.

I think that the Nakita agents, perhaps paired with g'nators, will work wonders against the 4th Mass. Looks like the Deathreavers will work pretty well too...they can scatter forward each turn.

I also like to use Frenzying units against them....I know I know that reequires d20 luck, but you can usually draft enough of them that the swarm can overwhelm the Mass and at least crack the line a bit.

Of course, I think the new bad-ass ranged unit on the block is the Blastatrons. These guys are bad-ass to their very core. Their power can work with Gladiatrons, either Major, or other Blastatrons.....if you run out of Glads just charge a blast forward, engage, and boom, the other three get +1 attack. For 60 points they are a steal.

reapersaurus
August 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Has it been mentioned that Lil Newbie took 5th place using only Charos and Nilfhiem?Not that I've seen.

Army breakdowns of the Top finishers would be great.

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM
this was on like page 6 or 7 of this thread:

Joe Knapper:
Arrow Gruts X3
Swog X3
Raelyn
Krug

Nwojedi:
Airborne Elite
4th Mas X3
Raelyn

Jormi Boced
Marcus
Legionaires X3
MeBurqSa
Krav Maga

John Knapper:
Legionaires X2
4th Mass X2
MeBurqSa
Marcus

Rychean
Tagawa
Krav Mag
Marro Warriors
Raelyn
MeBurqSa

Dustin Sikora
Minions X2
Finn
Krav Mag

Lilnewb:
Neffleheim
Charos

Dan Justice:
Legionaires
DW9000
Marcus
Airborne Elite

reapersaurus
August 16th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks, Ry - that's right - the Championship was already mentioned, and then the placements here.

Anyone have the other Tournament results, and army builds for the top finishers?

Hex_Enduction_Hour
August 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Has it been mentioned that Lil Newbie took 5th place using only Charos and Nilfhiem?

It's a great, streamlined combo, that's for sure!

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Hmmmm...

Top finshers in General

1.) NWOJedi - 3x4thMass,Raelin, AE (jandar)
2.) ChaosChild - ValGruad, Parmenio, Marcus, 2xSacredBand (Einar)
3.) Lilwis - AE, 3x4thMass, Finn (jandar)
4.) BUddy Lee - 2xArmoc, 2xAArchers, VenocWarlord(Ullar)

...might be wrong about buddy's others are accurate

Top Finshers in Mind Shackle

1.) Spider_posion - 2xRLs, MBS, Marros, NGS, Krav
2.) Jacob JP - 3xMicros, NGS
3/4) Lilwis - Mimring, ArrowGruts, NGS, RLs, MBS
3/4) Rychean - AE, 2xRLs, MBS, Marros, NGS

Mindshackle was single elimination so there was no ranking and we didnt play a third place match.

reapersaurus
August 16th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I'm curious - were there any successful Mindshackles in that tournament? :D

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Not a single one.....

I only attempted to shackle at the end of my game when I was losing..

Read about it and my other tourney adventures here:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=1833

Nwojedi
August 16th, 2006, 04:13 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Just wondering how I am 4th instead of 3rd. Spider Poison was the only person to beat me in the whole tournament. Not that it matters much anyway, I just wish I wouldn't have had to play the guy that I play all the time and traveled 9 hours with multiple times in the same tournament unless it was best 2 of 3 in the finals. It is just a little unfortunate we got paired like that.

actually, you and ry were tied. It was just the order you finished that you got jotted down. But you two were tied.

ChaosChild
August 16th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Hmmmm...

Top finshers in General

1.) NWOJedi - 3x4thMass,Raelin, AE (jandar)
2.) ChaosChild - ValGruad, Parmenio, Marcus, 2xSacredBand (Einar)
3.) Lilwis - AE, 3x4thMass, Finn (jandar)
4.) BUddy Lee - 2xArmoc, 2xAArchers, VenocWarlord(Ullar)

...might be wrong about buddy's others are accurate

Top Finshers in Mind Shackle

1.) Spider_posion - 2xRLs, MBS, Marros, NGS, Krav
2.) Jacob JL - 3xMicros, NGS
3/4) Lilwis - Mimring, ArrowGruts, NGS, RLs, MBS
3/4) Rychean - AE, 2xRLs, MBS, Marros, NGS

Mindshackle was single elimination so there was no ranking and we didnt play a third place match.

2xSacredBand not Romans.

Buddy Lee
August 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM
My army. Which I shoulda stuck with for the entire weekend. D@mnit!!" (Still kicking myself over that STUPID Braxis, Q9 army I took in the Championship.)

Anyways:

1 Venoc Warlord
1 Armoc Vipers
3x Aubrien Archers.

And I count about least 40 frenzies over the weekend events. Probably more like 50.

Good Archers.

Buddy Lee

reapersaurus
August 16th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Not a single one.....That is frickin' HILARIOUS!

An entire Tournament, dedicated to Mindshackling (the most notiously-unreliable ability in the game) and it didn;t come up even once?

Sure supports netherspirit's sticker in my sig.... ;)

Nwojedi
August 16th, 2006, 05:16 PM
yea, next year i'm staying till sunday. Sucks I had to leave sat night.

Jormi_Boced
August 16th, 2006, 05:59 PM

An entire Tournament, dedicated to Mindshackling (the most notiously-unreliable ability in the game) and it didn;t come up even once?

Next year they will have to make it a wave for a successful mindshackle to make it a bit more enticing. Otherwise it is just too easy to kill NGS instead. They could put a second Lodin down as well.

reapersaurus
August 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Next year they will have to make it a wave for a successful mindshackle to make it a bit more enticing. Otherwise it is just too easy to kill NGS instead. They could put a second Lodin down as well.That's a great idea.

Each activation, the problem with NGS is, he's simply not statistically worth it.

If there was extra incentive to spend precious activations to Mindshackle, or it was made more likely (like a telepathic-friendly zone or something), then NGS would be more than a statue sitting there on the field until the end.

netherspirit
August 16th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I was running the Mindshakle Tourament for the most part and only saw a few people actually rolling for Mindshakle. And that was only after all their other figures were dead.

There was one kid who took his NGS out really really early and his game was over in like 10 minutes, poor guy.

Everyone kept NGS hidden behind the ruins, big stacks of terrain or for Wolf Swamp Road all the way at the end of the board behind a wall of figures.

DarkSpade
August 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
There was one mindshackle in a demo game at least.

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

actually, you and ry were tied. It was just the order you finished that you got jotted down. But you two were tied.

Actually, the reason is based on several things. First: I only lost once; jormi lost twice; Second my quality of opponents; the people I played on Friday had higher overall winning percentage.

Look at it this way:

1.) Spider_poison (7-0; 100%)
2.) NWOJedi (5-2; 71.4% )
3.) Rychean (5-1; 83.3%)
4.) Jormi (4-2; 66.6%)

maybe I should actually be in second ;-)

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Even without the shackle the variant is a nice way to play.

You have a high defense figure with low attack as the "King". NGS is the perfect figure for this type of thing. He is hard to kill, but not really all that dangerous.

Oddly enough the "Queen" turned out to be MBS; quick moving, ranged and parylazing stare; he was in lots of the armies.

Jormi_Boced
August 16th, 2006, 11:01 PM

1 Spider_Poison
2 Nwojedi
3 Rychean
4 Jormi_Boced
5 Lilnewbie
6 Jon Knapper
7 Dustin Sikora
8 Dan Justice

Actually, the reason is based on several things. First: I only lost once; jormi lost twice; Second my quality of opponents; the people I played on Friday had higher overall winning percentage.

Look at it this way:

1.) Spider_poison (7-0; 100%)
2.) NWOJedi (5-2; 71.4% )
3.) Rychean (5-1; 83.3%)
4.) Jormi (4-2; 66.6%)

maybe I should actually be in second ;-)

I ddn't realize that you didn't lose on day 1. I still only lost to the champ though, so I technically could be second too. In a wrestling bracket I would get to wrestle NWOJedi to see who got the true second.

I also can't help who my opponents were and I still think it is pretty screwy that I got paired with Spider_Poison twice since we play each other all the time and traveled 9 hours together to play different people.

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I also can't help who my opponents were and I still think it is pretty screwy that I got paired with Spider_Poison twice since we play each other all the time and traveled 9 hours together to play different people.
You are right; it was a little messed up. The pairings to start the finals on Saturday were based on seedings. After that they were random; I don't fault GB for doing this, but it did end up NWO and I playing twice and you and spider playing twice. If the bracket was followed, you and I would have played in semis and NWO and Joe would have played in Semis.

Oh well...filing out my little booster pack form now ;-)

Jason
August 16th, 2006, 11:28 PM
"I also can't help who my opponents were and I still think it is pretty screwy that I got paired with Spider_Poison twice since we play each other all the time and traveled 9 hours together to play different people"

That's the beauty yet flaw of a Tournament bracket. The very 1st person who lost to him could be saying "if only I did not draw him I could have beat everyone else" In a tournament multiple people will have their only loss be ot the champion

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
"I also can't help who my opponents were and I still think it is pretty screwy that I got paired with Spider_Poison twice since we play each other all the time and traveled 9 hours together to play different people"

That's the beauty yet flaw of a Tournament bracket. The very 1st person who lost to him could be saying "if only I did not draw him I could have beat everyone else" In a tournament multiple people will have their only loss be ot the champion

unfortunately my only loss wasn't to the champion...

Understand Jormi nor I are complaining about the results. We are only making sure we both understand why things happened the way the did.

Grungebob
August 16th, 2006, 11:35 PM
You are right; it was a little messed up. The pairings to start the finals on Saturday were based on seedings. After that they were random; I don't fault GB for doing this, but it did end up NWO and I playing twice and you and spider playing twice. If the bracket was followed, you and I would have played in semis and NWO and Joe would have played in Semis.

Oh well...filing out my little booster pack form now ;-)Should not have left the laptop in the room that day... If I had planned my day better it would have been perfect. As it was I had to find somebody else to take my bags back home that day.

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 11:46 PM
It is all good GB :-D

....all good!

Nwojedi
August 16th, 2006, 11:47 PM

I'll always be a champion to you sweetie. :rock:

R˙chean
August 16th, 2006, 11:48 PM

I'll always be a champion to you sweetie. :rock:

my hero and my nemesis

you make me feel like your ***** :twisted:

Venom
August 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM
:fencing:

Nwojedi
August 16th, 2006, 11:56 PM
my hero and my nemesis

you make me feel like your ***** :twisted:

LOL, that's right, if you ever share a hotel together, you have to sit when you ****. :lol:

Nah, I can't do that. cuz if there is team play next year, your going to be my partner. No?

R˙chean
August 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Double team play? Absolutely! ;-)

might even team up for some heroscape too!

Nwojedi
August 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Touché :D