PDA

View Full Version : Fun with mounts

bonafide
July 28th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I wanted to start a discussion on mounts...

What strategies do you incorporate with Brunak and the Gryphon?

Personally, I view Brunak as big hunkin' tank. I usually team him with Morsbane. It gets Morsbane towards his target in a hurry, and provides some support for him as well.

I see the Gryphon as a transport carrier. He can quickly get to high ground and drop off troops in strategic positions, which would otherwise take them several turns to climb. Right now my favorite combo is him with Deadeye. I play a sick game of keepaway while Deadeye gets in his shots.

What say you?

toddrew
July 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
I think both of these have been mentioned ad nasuem, but here they are again :) :

Fly Syvarris or Dead-Eye up high with Theracus and start sniping away.

Carry Raelin with Brunak for protection while squad bashing.
Then summon them both back in one swoop with Saylind :joke: (except for the Raelin/Brunak combo, steadfast earnest on that.)

bonafide
July 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Geez, talk about not noticing the obvious...the Raelin/Brunak combo is a great idea. Talk about support for your ground troops.

toddrew
July 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Geez, talk about not noticing the obvious...the Raelin/Brunak combo is a great idea. Talk about support for your ground troops.

Yup, takes away one of the difficulties of using Raelin - using an order marker to reposition her. In this combo, she either boosts Brunak to 9 or 10, or draws fire away from him for at least a little while.

Watch out for more offensive mounts - teaming with Raelin would be good for any of them.

Can also team with Taelord, though that is expensive, plus doesn't help Brunak's special attack.

toddrew
July 28th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Personally, I view Brunak as big hunkin' tank. I usually team him with Morsbane. It gets Morsbane towards his target in a hurry, and provides some support for him as well.

I see the Gryphon as a transport carrier. He can quickly get to high ground and drop off troops in strategic positions, which would otherwise take them several turns to climb.

I've only used Theracus to fly Dead-Eye and Syvarris around (and haven't really used Morsbane or Sudema much yet) but I might try the Theracus strategy with Morsbane or Sudema sometime, if the board is conducive. Problem is having to wait that extra turn to activate the mounting figure (eww) - but by targeting the right figure, or hoping to take advantage of the round ending, that could work out well as a sort of sneak attack.

Good thinking bonafide.

Nooblar
July 28th, 2006, 09:30 AM
So do you think we'll see more offensive-oriented mounts in the near future, or will it more likely be tactical (like Theracus)?

Snotwalker 8000
July 28th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I think both of these have been mentioned ad nasuem, but here they are again :) :

Fly Syvarris or Dead-Eye up high with Theracus and start sniping away.

Carry Raelin with Brunak for protection while squad bashing.
Then summon them both back in one swoop with Saylind :joke: (except for the Raelin/Brunak combo, steadfast earnest on that.)

Question on that... can Saylind actually summon a mount & a figure next to a mount in one swoop? Has there been an "official" ruling on that?

If Theracus is summond by Saylind, and if Syvarris is next to Theracus, do we get to use Theracus' carry ability to also move Syv since Theracus was "moved"?

I know this has been discussed before, but can't remember if a ruling was decided....

Kepler
July 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Craig told Doc Savage last weekend that when summoning a carrier he cannot bring anyone with him. He said the card should have read "place" the summoned fig next to Saylind instead of "move" the summoned fig next to Saylind.

netherspirit
July 28th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Snotwalker 8000
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=41694#47296

Thats the Summoning a Carrier thread, it has your answer.

Snotwalker 8000
July 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks Nether! I knew I could count on you to shed some light. :)

You're like the constant Northern Star on this site! :D

SW8K

Bannister
July 28th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Nether! I knew I could count on you to shed some light. :)

You're like the constant Northern Star on this site! :D

SW8K

1. SW8K how the heck are you?

2. Stop all that blubbering over nether, it will just go to his head.

:D

Bannister

Snotwalker 8000
July 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Hey Bannister!

Doing great, thanks! Long time no post! How you doing?

And regarding Nether, I figured a reference to the constant North Star would be nicer than comparing him to the proverbial bad penny. ;)

later!

SW8K

ninthdoc
July 28th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I read the title of this thread and thought:

:shock: :quarter: 8) :lol:

jcb231
July 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I hope we get a BIG mount at some point....one that can carry more than one figure and just dump them all out into battle.

DingoDarkly
July 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think the mounts are good for carrying DW7K (especially Theracus) and they could go right into your opponents group and quickly do some damage with selfdestruct!

HyperactiveSloth
July 28th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Um, OK, it's official. I must be out of the loop on the :quarter: thing. What exactly does that mean?

Sorry for going OT.

netherspirit
July 28th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Um, OK, it's official. I must be out of the loop on the :quarter: thing. What exactly does that mean?

Sorry for going OT.

Its an inside joke of sorts. :gencon:

Roufus
July 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Care to explain?
Or are we not cool enough to join your little club?

netherspirit
July 28th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I could, but then it wouldn't be an inside joke now would it? ;)

The answer is on the board, perhaps it would be a good way to learn how to use search. Also, you could probably figure it out by reading enough posts that have the quarter in them.

ninthdoc
July 28th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I could, but then it wouldn't be an inside joke now would it? ;)

Ooh! Ooh! I know! I know!

But I'm too lazy to write it... http://www.vvdrienerlo.nl/smileys/12.gif

Grungebob
July 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Care to explain?
Or are we not cool enough to join your little club?You've never heard of the quarter thing? How old are you?

Roufus
July 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM

jcb231
July 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Some weird folks put quarters in jars when they say something dirty. It's that sort of thing.

jcb231
July 28th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I think the mounts are good for carrying DW7K (especially Theracus) and they could go right into your opponents group and quickly do some damage with selfdestruct!

Saylind, Theracus, and Brunak can do a great little passing drill before Jotun tosses DW7K in for the kill. I've done it. It's fun.

Roufus
July 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM
This is kinda 'mount' oriented.
Lets get some FREAKING CALVARY!
Not seperate horses and men though. jeez that would be dumb.

Roufus
July 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I'm really hoping the 'quarter thing' is more substantial than 'heres a quarter, call someone who cares'.
I'm hoping that it's more clever than that.
And besides... where are you going to make a call for a quarter nowadays?

ninthdoc
July 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I'm really hoping the 'quarter thing' is more substantial than 'heres a quarter, call someone who cares'.
I'm hoping that it's more clever than that.
And besides... where are you going to make a call for a quarter nowadays?

jcb gave you the correct answer above. When you go into a B&M LGS, they often have a jar for foul language. The quarters payment for making sexual innuendos.

You're just lucky I'm not quite as lazy this morning.

jcb231
July 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Wow, local game stores actually charge you for foul language? I've never seen that. Who the hell would actually put a quarter in there?

CornPuff
July 29th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Anyone ever used Brunak with X17?

Tons of fun, X17 is a little lockdown bomb that keeps a swarm from engaging brunak. Also, since Brunak is huge, you can put X17 on a ledge above you, and hopefully next to two of the enemies krav maga.

HyperactiveSloth
July 29th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Wow, local game stores actually charge you for foul language? I've never seen that. Who the hell would actually put a quarter in there?

Paying a quarter is better than getting kicked out. Not to mention it's just a courtesy thing.

It's supposed to be a little reminder to watch your language. If you slip, you pay. It's (or was) a pretty common thing, really. I've seen (or heard of) cuss jars in offices, a local hardware store, different workplaces, etc.
One of the funniest things I ever saw was a nice old man who hardly ever said an unkind word who one day finally had the last straw with our B^%$# of a boss...waited 'til she left the room...slowly got out his wallet as he walked toward the cuss jar...non-schalantly dropped in a $5-bill, walked into the hall.........and let a cloud of obscenities fly that would embarass a sailor. LMAO
:rofl:

monkeyfish
July 30th, 2006, 08:38 PM
My family has a cuss-jar. (it's a gallon sized pretzel jar that is almost full.)

Roufus
July 30th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Either you guys have a real problem with cussing...
charge too much per offence...
or need to redeem that sucker!

If you have nothing good to spend it on..........
send it to me!
I could always use a jar full of money.