PDA

View Full Version : Team Tactics Cards Discussion

allskulls
October 12th, 2007, 06:02 PM
This idea was inspired by netherspirit's Insurrection Deck cards (which, I assume, are going to be ready any day now :wink: ).

I wanted to bring the team feel into the super side of Scape without changing the gameplay too much. This is also a bit like the Feat Card from Hero Clix but I wanted them to be more specific.

I started with the Fastball Special because I wanted to take the ability off of my Colossus custom since he won't always use it unless he is with Wolverine.

Here is the first design. These are meant to be printed smaller than the army cards.
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/Fastball_Special.jpg

I thought it may be better if it was a straight cut all around...
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/Fastball_Special2.jpg

I have ideas for many more of these cards but thought I should put this out there for feedback first.

johnny139
October 12th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Cool! It's an idea, that's for sure... though it has a somewhat narrow use, and I'm not sure about point costs. But it's definitely something we should explore. Maybe we could make a "World's Finest" ability for Supes and Bats, or "Unlikely Allies" for Venom and Spidey. This could open a lot of doors with a bit of tweaking.

Personally, I like the 'Scapish outline as opposed to the plain ol' rectangle.

GreyOwl
October 12th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Didn't we discuss something similar to this a while back, along the lines of team cards? I know it isn't exactly the same thing but maybe the two ideas could be combined into one somehow.

allskulls
October 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Yeah, johnny, it does have narrow use, but I think that's a good thing. It supports theme building without forcing it. World's Finest is a great idea...where's Bats?

As for the card layout, I want to get a consensus here of what everyone likes so I can make them all uniform. The rectangle is pratical in a couple of ways: 1) Easy cut 2) More text space. I am also thinking that comic pics will work better on these than figures. Colossus and Wolverine just happened to have the perfect poses :wink:

Didn't we discuss something similar to this a while back, along the lines of team cards? I know it isn't exactly the same thing but maybe the two ideas could be combined into one somehow.
Yep, I was thinking the same thing. I think the idea was to create roster cards with a special ability or 2 attached. One problem with it was the way rosters change so often, there would need to be updates. If we focus on a few characters at a time for each card, I think it would work well. One thing it will do is provide some needed filler points.

allskulls
October 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Running with the World's Finest idea, here is another example of what we could do...
http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/normal_World_s_Finest.jpg (http://www.heroscapers.com/oldgallery/albums/userpics/World_s_Finest.jpg)

johnny139
October 12th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ah! Very cool! The Bonding seems a little broken... but the other two are great. If you try and swarm Superman, Batman can help his buddy out with Batarangs from afar. Once one dies, the other gets a boost.

Yeah, I definitely see potential in this.

ZBeeblebrox
October 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Once again Allskulls I :bowdown: to your ingenuity.

Well done!

allskulls
October 12th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks, ZB! The idea really belongs to many here, I'm just trying to get it going.

Ah! Very cool! The Bonding seems a little broken... but the other two are great. If you try and swarm Superman, Batman can help his buddy out with Batarangs from afar. Once one dies, the other gets a boost.

Yeah, I definitely see potential in this.
The Bonding was there to keep them moving as a team. Points wise, they will more than likely be by themselves in a battle. If we use IAmBatman's customs, we have 380+190+50=620pts. It may balance out. Testing is required for sure.

Let's get some more ideas going :D

johnny139
October 12th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Ah, it's move. I thought it was true bonding, which would open all sorts of problems. :lol:

Once we get some more opinions on this, you should put out some blanks.

allskulls
October 12th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Reading my mind :wink:

IAmBatman
October 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
For the World's Finest power, you'll want to reword it to make it contingent on Order Markers instead of just "when one takes a turn". That way they'll both only move once per Order Marker. I'm thinking for the powers you have working there, 50 points might be a little bit light.
In Hero's trust you need to specify the time element of those bonuses. Are they meant to be for the rest of the game?
I think it'd be cool of Superman could carry Batman as one of the powers in there, perhaps?

For other ideas of team type bonuses, you could do a Brave and Bold where you choose a figure to give bonuses along with Batman at the beginning of the game, and then of course there are team bonuses we could have, such as Avengers, X-Men, JLA, JSA, Green Lantern Corps, Teen Titans, Sinestro Corps, Defenders, and so on and on.

This might also be a chance to work in some of that Heroclix type magic with bystanders that don't necessarily need a figure, but could offer help to the superheroes. I'm thinking Alfred Pennyworth here, though I think there's a certain charm to just giving him a card and making him a low cost unit (and I've seen at least one decent card for him floating around here somewhere - forget whose).

This might be a way to work in equipment type cards as well, like Wonder Woman's invisible plane or the Lockheed jet.

PochoMan
October 13th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I started with the Fastball Special because I wanted to take the ability off of my Colossus custom since he won't always use it unless he is with Wolverine.Fastball Special was also used by Colosus/Beast and Beast/Wolverine, and I think once by a team Psionic throwing Wolverine

Didn't we discuss something similar to this a while back, along the lines of team cards? I know it isn't exactly the same thing but maybe the two ideas could be combined into one somehow.Idea for handling squad affiliations within Marvel Heroscape (http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=11286)
I noticed that no one really has a way to handle squad affiliations, or at least a common way, because of several complicated factors that make it rather unmanageable. However I thought it would be cool to have some kind of team bonus seeing that teams make up an important part of comic book superhero lore.

allskulls
October 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
For the World's Finest power, you'll want to reword it to make it contingent on Order Markers instead of just "when one takes a turn". That way they'll both only move once per Order Marker. I'm thinking for the powers you have working there, 50 points might be a little bit light.
In Hero's trust you need to specify the time element of those bonuses. Are they meant to be for the rest of the game?
I think it'd be cool of Superman could carry Batman as one of the powers in there, perhaps?
Yeah, the Order Marker thing may work better.
I was thinking that 50 points would be a high-end Team Tactics card and I purposely loaded this one. It is subject to testing though.
The bonuses from Hero's Trust is suppose to last the duration of the game. If that is needed to be said then it can easily be added.
I actually thought about allowing Supes to carry Bats but the movement bonding thing allows them to keep up with each other somewhat and it lets Batman feel more independent :D

For other ideas of team type bonuses, you could do a Brave and Bold where you choose a figure to give bonuses along with Batman at the beginning of the game, and then of course there are team bonuses we could have, such as Avengers, X-Men, JLA, JSA, Green Lantern Corps, Teen Titans, Sinestro Corps, Defenders, and so on and on.
Let's get the ideas rolling! I am trying to keep the cards specific to certain characters since a blanket X-Men or JLA card will have problems specifying which figures it works with. I have Ideas for the original 5 X-Men and I'm sure a card can be made for the big 7 in JLA. Something that allows you to pick the card only if you have 2 or more from the group or even the whole group. Spidey can have a cool Marvel Team-Up card 8)

This might also be a chance to work in some of that Heroclix type magic with bystanders that don't necessarily need a figure, but could offer help to the superheroes. I'm thinking Alfred Pennyworth here, though I think there's a certain charm to just giving him a card and making him a low cost unit (and I've seen at least one decent card for him floating around here somewhere - forget whose).
Go for it, but those Clix pogs were never "magic" to me. Give me figures! I can see it working in the case of characters like Oracle though.

This might be a way to work in equipment type cards as well, like Wonder Woman's invisible plane or the Lockheed jet.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I know there are already periphial cards out there so this should go over well. So we can have TEAM TACTICS, EQUIPMENT, and SUPPORT CHARACTERS. Sound good?

PochoMan, I'm not sure what you're getting at but thanks for the link. This post should especially help us with some ideas to make this happen. (http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?p=352448#380782) Any ideas?

IAmBatman
October 13th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've pretty much talked myself out of the support characters idea. I mean, I already have unit cards for Lois Lane, Bibbo Bibbowski, and Oracle! There really isn't a character you couldn't make an interesting card for.

GreyOwl
October 14th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I made my Oracle card so it specifically states that no figure is used. She is used purely for support and synergy and not in actual combat. I haven't tried it out yet, so I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. :)