PDA

View Full Version : JAMBO!

justjohn
December 22nd, 2006, 10:21 PM
Oh man, has anyone else played this? The wife and I have bought a bunch of less than $20 games over the past month, and gotten a few from family for Christmas, and one of the games we got was Jambo.

It's basically an economic trade card game, but it's tons of fun. It's only 2 player, and only 12 bucks from Thoughthammer. If you like settlers, I think you'd like this. The components are nice, and it's just really fun.

Here's the BGG page on it. (http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12002)

netherspirit
December 22nd, 2006, 10:27 PM
I love this game. Definately a great 2 player game. It reminds me a bit of Puerto Rico. The one thing to note is that it can take a couple of games to learn all the cards. There are a lot of them and they have a lot of text. It took us a couple of plays to learn what was good with what. After that though its an awesome game.

Have you checked out anything else from the Kosmos 2 Player line?

justjohn
December 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, it's one of our new favorites. We also got Drakon, which we like a good bit as well. But Jambo does take a few games to get a handle on the cards, and even then, you have to glance at the text again to make double sure, because some of the Utility cards' names are sort of similar. Some of the animals are not so good, and there seems to be an overabundance of Guard guards, but other than that, it's really fun.

I haven't tried any of the other Kosmos stuff. I looked at Lost Cities and Tower of Babel, but haven't gotten them. The Reef doesn't look very fun at all.

You play Blue Moon, right? Do you like it? How does it compare to Scarab/Minotaur Lords (which we really like) They seem somewhat similar, except that Blue Moon seems a lot more customizable/deep. And they're both made by RK. I'm constantly looking for something easier than MTG, but along the same lines, since my wife likes to know what every card does, and it's sort of hard for her to do that with MTG.

I think the next, and last games we'll get for a while will be Mexica and the new edition of Cave Troll when it comes out.

Oh, and did you get your package yet?

netherspirit
December 23rd, 2006, 12:22 AM
I like Drakon, I picked that up the week the 3rd edition came out. Its good fun with 2 but I think it would be even more fun with more players. With 2 people, if one you can create a loop (which is pretty easy) and the other can't get the tiles to stop you, the game isn't very fun. If that situation comes up in a multiplayer game the chances one of the other players can stop you is a lot higher. Still a fun game though.

The Kosmos 2 player line is great for...well...2 player games. Of the ones I haven't played, I have only heard (all around) bad things about a few of them, Crocodile Pool Party, The Reef, and possibly Dracula are supposed to be the worst of the bunch. I have stayed away from those, so far.

As for comparing Blue Moon to Scarb/Minotaur Lords, I can't do because I haven't played Scarb or Minotaur Lords yet! I know shame on me...that said I really like Blue Moon because it reminds me a lot of my MtG days, the girlfriend doesn't like it so much so I have only played it a few times. I am kind of weary of what she will think of Scarb/Minotaur Lords but I couldn't pass them up for $5 just because she might not like them.

I am definately going to pick up the new edition of Cave Troll when it comes out, I am stoked for it. I will head over to BGG and see what Mexica is all about.

Sending PM about the package. :D

justjohn
December 23rd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Honestly, the main reason I want to get Cave Troll is for all of the minis the game comes with (supposedly 60-90?, that's what I've read in some previews) as they are smaller, and would be perfect size for Dungeoneer. The game's supposed to be pretty fun, but 20 bucks for 60+ high quality FFG platic mins seems like a steal of a deal. Judging from the figs that came with Drakon, the minis in Cave Troll will also be from Descent. The only pictures I've seen of them though have been that little picture in the FFG catalog.

As far as the 'Lords games, they're really easy (seem sort of difficult/complex at first glance), the wife and I played something like 5 or 6 games the first time we tried it. She REALLY likes it. I would suggest starting out with Scarab Lords, as it's much better than Minotaur Lords. The decks are just better (by better I mean more balanced), as is the artwork.

netherspirit
January 10th, 2007, 08:50 PM
JJ, I forgot to mention this and only remembered because I was searching for a Cave Troll thread and this one came up (because you mentioned it)....

Anyways, there is an expansion for Jambo scheduled to come out this year. :excited:

justjohn
January 10th, 2007, 09:18 PM
That's awesome. Did you find that at BGG? My wife will be really happy to hear that.

Thanks for the heads up.

netherspirit
January 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM
That's awesome. Did you find that at BGG? My wife will be really happy to hear that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Initially I saw it on www.boardgamenews.com in the "Gone Cardboard" section. They list upcoming games with estimated release dates. I just happened to see it on the list and then went to BGG to see if anyone knew anything. There are few threads in the Jambo (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12002) entry about it, even some prototype cards being discussed.