PDA

View Full Version : Blue Moon

soberman
April 17th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I am interested in this as a cheap alternative to Magic: The Gathering, but I have heard only so-so sentiments from royaldoy. Does anyone else have an opinion? Keep in mind that I wasn't very thrilled with Magic, probably because I have been spoiled by HeroScape.

I firmly intend to purchase Blue Moon City someday, though I guess it is more of a board game. I only mention this in case someone thinks the two are good complimentary pieces.

Can anyone else suggest other Kinizia CARD games? I have, and enjoy, Head-to-Head Poker, Loot, and Titan: The Arena. I've got my eye on Loco. I believe scarab lords leaves something to be desired.

I want an HeroScapers perspective on this mainly because the gaming elite that rank games on other, nameless, sites do not necessarily reflect my mindset on what makes a great game. Thanks.

HSisforcoolkids
April 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I snagged 3 of the expansion sets off of Tanga a while back, but have yet to get the starter set. I can only tell you that the art on Blue Moon is great.

As far as other Knizia games go, I can whole-heartedly recommend Lost Cities. It's more of a simple math game than anything, but it is a bunch of fun. It is one of the few games that my wife wants to play most any time.

justjohn
April 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM
If you're wanting a self-contained CCG style card game, I strongly recommend Jambo and the expansion.

http://boardgamegeek.com/game/12002

Grok Rider
April 17th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I'm very fond of Blue Moon. I haven't played Magic or had the opportunity to create a custom deck with Blue Moon but I think that it does a decent job to fill a CCG itch.

The base game for Blue Moon isn't necessary to play the game. You could do as coolkids and get expansions deck to play with. The rule book can be found online. Perhaps some of the expansions deck with more unique playing styles can do a better job to attract someone to the game. The base game come with some nice goober however and the decks with it are well balanced and easy to begin with.

I haven't played Blue Moon City but I don't think that it necessarily is similar to Blue Moon. I think that Blue Moon City originally was themed as something else. But some of the cards seem to have some similiarities at least.

Some people also use the green dragon in Blue Moon City as a replacement dragon for the turquise dragon in Blue Moon that supposedly was supposed to be green.

I second the recommendation of Lost Cities. It's a quick and clever game.

Malechi
April 18th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I picked up the 9 expansion decks from FFG during their pre-Christmas sale for $5 each and got the main game material off BGG, but have yet to play it ...

Jambo looks interesting, but let's see African Traders with European Exporters it the 18th century ... The game designers did seem to forget to list the biggest import of African Natives at that time: Other tribesmen and women. I think I will pass on that one before my "son" doesn't know to ask those questions ...

soberman
April 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm weighing everything said here with consideration. Thanks again.

As a longshot, does anyone have the card game Split by Hasbro? I have read the rules and do not understand the scoring.

royaldoy
April 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Lost Cities is by far....my second favorite Knizia game. Right behind Blue Moon City. My wife also loves Lost Cities and we tend to plat that one alot!