Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Turn FotA into a Dice Tower. No tools required.

Have extra Fortress sets lying around unused?
How about turning one into a fully functional Dice Tower?

Uses only a single FotA. Needs no glue, no tape, no knives or scissors, nothing else. Just the pieces that come in the box. Even the two angled ramps (the top hopper and the bottom deflector ramp) use no special equipment, struts, or glue to keep them in position. Ladders inside the tower serve as bumpers, ensuring the dice get a thorough tumbling.

I've dumped thousands of test dice through this thing. It's solid. Sure, plastic on plastic is a little louder than a felt-padded wooden tower. But those can't boast of being made from a (cheap and still widely available) Heroscape set.

This is version 2, which features an awesomely improved deflector ramp developed by ScrewDriver. It solves the two issues which plagued the first version: dice occasionally got caught behind the door hinge; and over time the deflector ramp would come apart. No longer. Props to him.

If you're at all interested, download the PDF build instructions and give it a try. It goes up more quickly than many maps, and is fun to play with. And if you don't like it, it's just as easy to take apart.

CONSTRUCTION NOTES:

The seven-hex wallwalk piece with 8 battlements attached is the upper ramp (the hopper). The 2 single-hex wallwalk pieces joined together make up the lower (deflector) ramp.

The upper ramp (hopper) can be saved until last: it props up on top of the 4 battlements at the very top back corners. The lower (deflector) ramp, however, is best placed mid-way through construction: after you've built the bottom 4 levels, slip the two connected deflector tiles down the tower from above and wedge them in tightly at the bottom, tilted forward, so that their front edges are crammed against the inner walls of the doorway and their back edges are rammed against the four interior battlements. Then take the 'wooden' bar from the door, and drop it, on its end, into the small space just behind the door hinges, with the ring handle of the bar projecting forward into the corner. (See the photo below.) This will prevent dice from getting stuck behind the hinge.

Then proceed to build the rest of the tower, and crown with the upper ramp.

Don't forget the 4 battlements on level 4 (necessary so the deflector ramp wedges in at an angle), and the 10 ladder pieces inside the tower (which serve as bumpers for the dice, to ensure they get a thorough tumbling).

Note: 16 of the battlements on the front facade are used solely for cosmetic effect. If you don't like how they look — or just want to save your battlements for something else — leave them off. (For comparison, see Sauron's black castle below, which foregoes them for a more streamlined effect.)

Last edited by Typhon2222; February 23rd, 2012 at 05:14 PM. Reason: updated to VERSION 2; added pic of Sauron's black-and-molten-lava dice tower, and the Viper Dice Tower trophy.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:31 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Turn FotA into a Dice Tower. No tools required.

Quote:
I'll try to post VirtualScape build instructions soon.
Yes please. TotalCon approaches and me thinks I'm brining a Dice Tower with me this year.

-insert signature here-
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:58 PM

vikinglad knows what's in an order marker vikinglad knows what's in an order marker

Truly inspired! I love it. Also, FotA is cheaper than most dice towers I have seen in stores. If you post those VirtualScape directions, I will try this out for sure.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM

kpucblek knows what's in an order marker kpucblek knows what's in an order marker

Nice work Typhon. I likes it.

Always rummaging through garage sale bins, hoping that someone is dumping their kid's Heroscape treasures.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

This is amazing!

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Very nice! I've tried that before and couldn't get it, big props for pulling it off.

Last edited by Kaemon Awa 123; February 13th, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: And, of course, rep spreading. *sigh*
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Now that is thinking outside of the box; one of the best uses of the fortress door that I have seen. But, no ladders going up to the second level.

Very cool!
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Nice job! Hope you can get the VS plans up soon. I'd love to assemble this before our next Casual Scape Day.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:52 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!

Typhon, you should bring that to the next tournament and use it. That's awesome.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:08 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Thanks for the warm words, folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglad View Post
Truly inspired! I love it. Also, FotA is cheaper than most dice towers I have seen in stores.
Hah hah, so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy the Clown View Post
But, no ladders going up to the second level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwholives View Post
Typhon, you should bring that to the next tournament and use it. That's awesome.
Thanks person! You know, I began the project with our tourneys in mind. Thought a dice tower made from 'Scape parts might make a fun second component of our NorCal Heroscape Trophy, to join the main trophy recently (and beautifully) enhanced by Carnival_Man.
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Very cool.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions