Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old May 29th, 2011, 07:43 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Porkins' Dice Tower Tutorial

I built a dice tower and I am really happy with how it turned out. I wanted to share with everybody.

I didn't decide to make a tutorial until I got into the project a bit, so I don't have pictures of the first few steps.

As I contemplated making a dice tower, I looked at a lot of threads from other people who had made dice towers or similar things to get some inspiration and ideas:

Raudulfr's Customs
Quack188's custom stuff (especially the Statue tutorial)
Mr. Crimson's dice tower
Dirtboy's dice towers
Leifkicker's stuff
Grungebob's Dungeon
Glenn's custom battlefields

I also asked lots of questions via PM's and in person to some of the experts, so I want to acknowledge those people:

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
Leifkicker
Griffin
Agent Minivann
Soundwarp SG-1

So one day I was walking through a Michael's and saw the birdhouse used by Mr. Crimson. It looked pretty awesome, so I bought it! It cost about $5. I also bought a wooden document box for about $5. I planned to cut the lid up and use it for a tray.

I have to admit, I was pretty intimidated by the drybrushing to make it look like stone. The examples I saw of other people's work just looked so awesome that I didn't think I had the skill. After studying the other stuff out there, particularly Raudulfr Shieldcrusher's work and Quack188's Statue Tutorial (which goes into great detail on drybrushing). I found that the drybrush technique is extraordinarily simple, just takes a little bit of trial (and not much error) to get the hang of it.

Materials
Castle tower pinewood birdhouse (from Michael's)
8.5" by 11" balsa wood document box (from Michael's)
Foam sheets (about 1/8" thick, Walmart or Michael's)
Rustoleum Stone Textured Spray Paint (Walmart)
Acrylic Paints from Walmart: white, black, green, yellow
White Glue
Floral Moss
Green Flock
Krylon Clear Acrylic Matte Finish spray (Walmart)

Construction
Spoiler Alert!

Painting
Spoiler Alert!

Final Finishing and Assembly
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Porkins; June 6th, 2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Porkins' Dice Tower Tutorial (under construction)

This looks awesome. I'm really impressed how well the paint turned out and the rust looks good too. I'm a little iffy about the moss at the moment, but I'm sure it'll look great once it's done. Keep taking lots of pictures for this, it definately helps people a lot. +rep.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:43 PM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's looking fantastic so far. Is HS your main game? If so, any thoughts about attaching the tower to a hex friendly base to allow the tower to be used in games as a structure? Looking forward to seeing finally assembled.

G.

Betty or Veronica...?
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:15 AM

mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Man that looks great. Way to go Porkins! +Rep!
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Now, I've never been really big on dice towers, but I may have to make myself something like this. Very nice Porkins.

What type of Dremmel bit did you use to cut the door open? I have a Dremmel tool, but I haven't used it in years; or on anything but white metal (so I only really have any experience with the little grind plates).

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy-scaper View Post
Is HS your main game? If so, any thoughts about attaching the tower to a hex friendly base to allow the tower to be used in games as a structure?
I'm not really into the idea of having the tower be part of the map. I've seen other people do it. I guess if the tower were usable for figures, that would be cool. But this tower is too small for figures to be able to get onto it. Your Grayskull would be cool with a dice rolling thingy built in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
What type of Dremmel bit did you use to cut the door open? I have a Dremmel tool, but I haven't used it in years; or on anything but white metal (so I only really have any experience with the little grind plates).
The Dremel bit I'm using is one that came with the set. It's about 1/8 inch diameter and it's sort of like an end mill ie - it cuts on the tip as well as the outer diameter of the bit. It's great for cutting wood and metal. I've used it on 1/4" thick aluminum plate as well as pinewood derby cars and other things. I've hardly used the other bits. I love my Dremel! I don't use it often, but when I do, it's a great tool to have.
Old May 30th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is looking sweet!
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Porkins - you're so right about a dice tower thingy for Castle Grayskull! Man, another thing to do....!

G.

Betty or Veronica...?
Old May 30th, 2011, 11:00 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Looks good! I look at that birdhouse (as well as several others) every time I go into Micheal's but never came up with an idea for it. A dice tower makes perfect sense. Thanks for the tutorial, I know I will go over it in detail when I finally get around to making a dice tower of my own.
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM

Re: Porkins' Dice Tower Tutorial

Updated first post.
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:23 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

I would give you some rep but alas, I cannot. You definately deserve it though. The dice tower looks amazing.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Man, Rob, that's AWESOME. Great work.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles