Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:49 PM

ThePowerOfDund Woo who?
Project 500: 33 Unique 500pt. Armies From My Collection

So, in anticipation of a possible tourney, where I would be providing all the armies, and in an effort to take the onus of selecting units off of relative newbs, I have divided up my entire HS collection into 33 distinct, 490-500 point armies. I plan to write up cards that have the armies on them, and then allow drafting of complete armies.

My collection includes 1 of everything, and at least 2 of each common, with 3 or 4 in a few places. My self-imposed rules for creating the armies were as follows, in order of priority:
  1. 490-500 points, no exceptions (though I sooo, wanted to go to 510 a few times!)
  2. At least 2 of any common squad/hero
  3. No duplicating units (so 4th Mass is in only 1 army)
  4. Theme matters
  5. Synergy matters
  6. When possible, 1 General
  7. Keep it competitive
So, this last rule is fairly amorphous, so some elaboration is in order. Don’t break up theme/synergy heavy armies (like Elf heroes, Samurai, Orc Heroes, etc.), but whenever possible, pair up A+/A units with lower ranked units, to not allow overpowered or severely underpowered armies.

There are exceptions, and armies I’m sure you would want to use over others, but for the most part, I’m happy with the outcome. I’m posting here, looking for feedback: suggestions for changes, warnings about particularly over/under powered armies, ideas for making the armies more coherent, etc.

Without further ado, the 33 (in roughly the order I came up with them in):

Army #1: Elf Heroes 490 (or 500)
Ulginesh, Emiroon, Jorhdawn, Kyntela Gwyn, Arkmer, Chardris (or Morsbane)

One of 2 places, where the drafter has a substitute, Morsbane, who is otherwise left out of the mix. Other than that, this one creates itself.

Army#2: Elf Army 500
Acolarh, Syvarris, Warriors of Ashra x3, Aubrien Archers x2

If you are going to use Acolarh, you want a bunch of units that can die and use his ability. Kinda neat in that this elf army is all physical, while the other uses all the magical powers. (Well, neat for me, anyway.)

Army #3: Samurai Army: 500
Hatomoto Taro, Kaemon Awa, Tagawa Samurai, Tagawa Samurai Archers x2

Lots of range, with the buff Tagawas to mop up. HT’s lameness is made up for by utilizing his ability to its fullest (i.e. everyone has counter strike), and the relative awesomeness of everyone else in the army.

Army #4: Samurai Peasants: 500
Kato Katsuro, Kozuke Samurai, Ashigaru Harquebus x2, Ashigaru Yari x2

Moving and attacking with 8 units with 1 order marker rocks my face off.

Army #5: Orc Champions: 490
Ornak, Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak, Grut Orcs x3

Man, those Gruts will be buff. Plus, plenty of Ornak targets. Couldn’t really work out a way to include the Heavies, who, sadly, are left out of the project.

Army #6: Romans and Greeks: 500
Marcus Decimus Gallus, Parmenio, Roman Legion x2, Sacred Band x2, Roman Archers x2

The shear synergy and point value harmony here is staggering.

Army#7: Knights and Sirs: 495
Sir Dupius, Sir Gilbert, Sir Denrick, Knights of Weston x2

I was tempted to put the Templars in for Denrick and the KoW, but then I’m wasting the bonding of the KoW. Synergy galore with this build.

Army #8: Monkees and Agents: 500
Laglor, Nakita Agents, Gorillanators x3

Monkeys + Agent Women = Shooting Spectacle.

Army #9: Marro Hivelords: 500
Tor-Kul-Na, Su-Bak-Na, Marrden Nagrubs x4

The first of 4 (!) Marro armies. Man, its fun to eat a Nagrub, then stomp on some dudes, or swoop in and roll 7 or 8 attack dice.

Army #10: Jandar Kyrie: 500
Raelin (SotM), Concan, Kelda, Sentinels of Jandar x2

You got theme, and synergy. Kelda doesn’t have great healing targets, but New Raelin is a better one than the old (as far as Kelda targets go).

Army #11: Glads and Blasts: 490
Dund, Major X17, Gladiatrons x2, Blastatrons x2

The entrance of a crappy unit to nerf an army. Originally this was Braxas, rather than X17 and Dund, but that was too good, imho, and left X17 out of the theme/synergy party. Dund was the last addition, as he rounded out the points, and was Vydar.

Army #12: Wolves plus Centaur: 495
Khosumet, Wolves of Badru x2, Anubian Wolves x2, Brunak

Had a tough time coming up with something to add to all the wolves to round out the 385 points. I have a third set of Anubians, and toyed with adding up to 3 Dumutefs, but in the end, I like the current build. One of Khosumet’s issues is mobility, and Brunak certainly helps with that. Wolves kill heroes, Brunak kills squads.

Army #13: Marro Swarm: 490
Marro Hive, Marro Stingers x3, Marro Drones x3

This could be changed to 4 Stingers and 2 Drones, or vice versa, but I thought the balance was good. If I’m regenerating Stingers with the Hive, do I really need 12? Plus, this build allows for the possibility of swarming with all 9 Drones.

Army #14: Marro Warlords: 500
Ne-Gok-Sa, Me-Burq-Sa, Grok Riders x2, Marro Drudge x2

Ok, so the Drudge are a controversial addition. Of all the terrain dependant units, they are the only ones to actually make the project. Here’s the reasoning: they aren’t horrible at 2 attack, 2 defense at 50 points, until you compare them to the Stingers; this army needs some range; they are Marro. That’s it.

Army #15: Deathborgs: 500
Deathwalker 9000, Warden 816, Zettian Guards, Deathstalkers x2

I really wanted to include the ‘reavers here, but couldn’t really make them fit well. It has theme, synergy with two units buffing the Zettians, and melee and range. It might not have any “good,” but it will be fun to play.

Army #16: Giant and Giant Bugs: 490
Jotun, Sujoah, Fyorlag Spiders x2

What goes better with a Giant, than giant bugs? I submit that nothing does. Here we again have a unit that excels in killing heroes, and one that does well against squads. The Spiders are nice for tying up units, and making those bonding armies sweat a bit.

Army #17: Ullar Heroes: 500
Charos, Saylind, Theracus, Deadeye Dan, Moriko

In what will sort of accidentally become a theme, I threw together the leftover Ullar heroes with their dragon, and it has decent synergy. Saylind can move Moriko and Charos around, and Theracus can fly Deadeye Dan up to great heights. 5 order marker targets is a bit much, though.

Army #18: Zombies and Snipers: 500
Zombies of Morindan x4, Omnicron Snipers x2, Zetracron

Well, there certainly is no theme here, but the numbers worked out, and what more could Zombies want than some range dudes to peg the enemy and make them come get you.

Army #19: Beasts, Orcs, Traitor: 490
Krug, Mimring, Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x2, Sir Hawthorne

It took this long in the process for me to decide who the heck to add to the synergy-tastic Beasts and Orcs. I felt Hawthorne was at least the same General, and had kind of a neat theme of the traitor leading the bad guys.

Army #20: Marro Army #4: 500
Wo-Su-Ga, Kee-Mo-Shi, Marrden Hounds x2, Marro Warriors

Glancing longingly at WSG, wishing she would have fit in the Hivelord army, then realizing that I forgot about the Hounds…..wait Kee-Mo-Shi isn’t in an army either! Hmm, 445, I just need 50 points, who is 50 points…..

Army #21: Valiant Army: 490
Sergeant Drake (RotV), Templar Knights x2, 4th Massachusetts Line x2

Wanting to make sure that the 4th Mass were in a valiant army, and lamenting the fact that I hadn’t found a spot for the Templar Knights yet, I solved 2 issues at once. Plus, this army ain’t half bad.

Army #22: Imperium: 490
Empress Kiova, Einar Imperium x2, Shiori, Izumi Samurai

This actually gets my vote for worst army of the bunch. It’s sorta thematic, but those Imperium are fragile as all heck.

Army #23: Vampires and Ghosts: 495
Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Iskara Esenwein, Rechets of Bogdan, Shades of Bleakewoode x2

Adding the Ghosts to the Vampires just seems natural. In fact, this was one of the first armies I made, despite its low order in the list. Charge out with Iskara/Rechets, attempt to Ghost some dudes, and mop up with the Vampire twins. (I know they are not twins.)

Army #24: Gladiators and Roborats: 500
Spartacus, Crixus, Retarius, Deathreavers x3

What can I possibly add to the Gladiators that will make them playable, but not detract from the fact that all the order markers need to be on them? What unit doesn’t need order markers to be effective? And, where the heck am I gonna put the ‘reavers? They are too good to add to an army that is half-decent…….

Army#25: Monks and Agents: 500
Shaolin Monks x2, Master Win Chiu Woo, Microcorps Agents x2

In a virtually analogous situation to the Zombies and Snipers, these two teams seem to be meant for each other, despite their anti-thematic compatibility.

Army #26: Snakes!:500
Venoc Warlord, Armoc Vipers x2, Venoc Vipers x3, Elite Onyx Vipers, Guilty McCreech

I HATE the fact that I couldn’t find any better way to round out this army than Guilty. One build had Sonlen instead of Guilty and EOV, but he ended up being needed elsewhere.

Army #27: Jandar Heroes: 500
Nilfheim, Johnny “Shotgun” Sullivan, Raelin (RotV), Sergeant Drake (SotM)

Another in the “random dudes w/ dragon” armies. Raelin is nerfed a bit here by the fact that she is only protecting 3 figures, rather than the many she usually is when used to her fullest ability.

Army #28: Vikings, Scottish, and Paratroopers: 490
Alastair MacDirk, MacDirk Warriors x2, Finn The Viking Champion (or Thorgrim), Eldgrim The Viking Champion, Airborne Elite

The second (of two) substitution possibilities, Finn or Thorgrim must be chosen here, as both couldn't really fit. (I'd love for them to, any ideas for a switcheroo, anyone?)

Army #29: Einar Heroes: 495
Zelrig, 10th Regiment of Foot x2, Valguard, Tarn Viking Warriors

Again, with the random dudes of 1 General (except here, the Tarns are out of the loop) with the dragon. 10th foot and Zelrig reminds me of all those 4th Mass and Charos armies. (Side note: All the Vikings add up to 350. A cool Viking mega-hero ala Ulginesh, or bonding squad could make the Vikings their own army in the future.)

Army #30: Robots and Mummy: 490
Major Q9, Major Q10, Sudema, Marcu

Marcu needed to be included to round out the numbers, but otherwise doesn't really go with the army. I think the sub-par Sudema and Marcu effectively nerf the Q brothers down to competitive-ville.

Army #31: Queen's Vydar Army: 495
Braxas, James Murphy, Otonashi, Krava Maga Agents, Agent Carr

Nice, rounded, dragon-bearing, order marker nightmarish army for Vydar, to go with the 3 others.

Army #32: Taelord and Bomb: 500
Taelord, Minions of Utgar x2, Deathwalker 7000

I could not find any other unit that would complete this army to my liking. I really, really wish Runa was 100. She would have worked perfectly.

And finally.....

Army #33: The Mercenaries: 500
Sonlen, Deathwalker 8000, Gurei-Oni, Ninjas of the Northern Wind

This army isn't horrible, and has some range, some melee, and looks to be fun to play.

The Leftovers
There were plenty of extra squads, but remember, no duplicates on teams, so those extra 4th Mass, Minions, Drones, Stingers, Archers, Arrow Gruts, etc. are gonna have to sit this one out. Morsbane and Finn are subs. Runa and Heavy Gruts didn't fit. The deal on Isamu is that it wouldn't be fair to include him on a 490 point team, as there are too many of them. (Otonashi was needed to get a team to 495.) And finally, I didn't include the terrain dudes, as they would be too good on the appropriate terrain, and too crappy otherwise. So, sorry Dumutef, Dzu-Teh, and Obsidian Guards.

So there it is folks. Comments are welcome.

Last edited by ThePowerOfDund; June 23rd, 2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: forgot to put Heavies in Leftovers
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Project 500: 33 Unique 500pt. Armies From My Collection

Most of those look fun, I'm impressed at your ability to generate so many different and thematic armies. Some of those armies look a lot more equal than others though. If it's really a tourney (as opposed to a game day) you might want to reconsider:

Army 1: Elves are a razor's edge from being genuinely competetive in a regular "bring your best build" situation. In the hands of a skilled player, several of the listed armies would be doomed against this one.

Army 4: This is another potentially full-on tourney quality build. Too much synergy for some of those other armies to handle.

Army 8: Highly mobile with a ton of synergy and range. Dominant versus melee heavy armies.

Army 13: If the map allows most of the fighting to happen in range of the Hive those Stingers and Drones are going to kill everything.

Army 29: Zelrig and the 10th are too well supported by Valguard and the Tarn against most of these armies.

There are also several weak builds, but I think I understand that players would get to choose armies so unless you're expecting 20+ players that ought to be okay.

~Aldin, who loves the idea and hopes his comments aren't seen as negative

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:19 PM

ThePowerOfDund Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
~Aldin, who loves the idea and hopes his comments aren't seen as negative
Totally. Not at all. Thanks for the feedback!

I would expect no more than 16, really, so I was thinking maybe 2 flights. Everyone draft one army, tourney. Then, the leftovers are available for tourney 2.

Something like that...
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Which maps are you considering?

~Aldin, territorily

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM
Business Casual

SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth SirGalahad is a man of the cloth

I think this was a terrific idea! I agree that some armies may be stronger than others, but that's the nature of this game.

We'll all expect to see an after-event report.

I know that I do not know.
C3G INDEX - SSE 92 - JSA GENERATIONS
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM

ThePowerOfDund Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Which maps are you considering?

~Aldin, territorily
Oh, haven't picked them out yet, but surely from the BoV project. I was thinking of trying to make the distributions of terrain types somewhat even, but it would really depend on the number of maps needed.
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM

Tauren_Marine is surprisingly tart

Those are some nice armies you've got there. Sounds like it's going to be a fun tournament. Just wondering, how long did it take for you to come up with all of the different armies?
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:14 AM

ThePowerOfDund Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren_Marine View Post
Just wondering, how long did it take for you to come up with all of the different armies?
The first few were easy, then it took a few days of daydreaming at work, and one evening hammering out the last few.

Thanks for the kind words!
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:41 AM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker

Wow, this work is awesome. My friend and I were thinking of making theme armies but using 1000ish or even more points to duke 'em out and see who comes out on top. The 1000ish points would allow for the armies to be more balanced, but the 500 point thing you got going is pretty cool if not better. I just don't have as many figures as you do though.

Great work nonetheless. Can't wait to here the postgame report!
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM

HuckmanT has disabled reputation

As one of players who will be participating in testing out these armies, I must say that I am duly impressed! I'm really looking forward to seeing how they play out and tweaking as needed in time for the tourney in February.

Nice job!

"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - snap! - the job's a game." - Mary Poppins
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM

HuckmanT has disabled reputation

So, we played this weekend a few matches using these armies.

BATTLEGROUNDS (BoV):
Swamp Thing
Broken Skyline

ARMIES
Army #5: Orc Champions: 490
Ornak, Grimnak, Tornak, Nerak, Grut Orcs x3

Army #10: Jandar Kyrie: 500
Raelin (SotM), Concan, Kelda, Sentinels of Jandar x2

Army #18: Zombies and Snipers: 500
Zombies of Morindan x4, Omnicron Snipers x2, Zetracron

Army #26: Snakes!:500
Venoc Warlord, Armoc Vipers x2, Venoc Vipers x3, Elite Onyx Vipers, Guilty McCreech

ROUND ONE: Orcs and Snakes fought on the Broken Skyline and the Zombies and Kyrie fought in the Swamp.

WINNERS: ORCS (#5) and KYRIE (#10)
The orcs managed to defeat the snakes in a close contest, even after losing Grimnak early to a frenzying snake rush using the many roads available in this map. Ornak and Nerak's bonuses really shone here, with Ornak even making it to the top of the central tower for style points. The orcs don't get much of an attack, but the snakes don't get much defense. Guilty McCreech was the only ranged unit in the battle.

The Kyrie beat the Zombies in the swamp, and I don't have many details from the report. With so few targets for the Zombies, there wasn't much Zombie rebirth so I think that factored in. The snipers double-hit balances out the Kyrie double-defense quite nicely.

ROUND TWO: Orcs and Kyrie on the Broken Skyline and Zombies and Snakes (Zombie snakes? How cool is that!?) fought in the swamp.

WINNERS: ORCS (#5, 2-0) and ZOMBIES/SNIPERS (#18, 1-1)

The Orcs vs. Kyrie contest was very close, with Grimnak managing to "Chomp" five(!) Sentinels of Jandar before falling to Concan. Grimnak had a hard time fitting in many places on this map, but all the road helped him get around immensely. Raelin (new) pulled off a couple of spectacular Whirlwinds, killing many Orcs in the process. In the end, the sheer numbers of the Orcs and diminished strength of the Kyrie without the grunts spelled disaster for Jandar.

I don't know much about what happened in the Zombie/Snakes game, other than there were some Zombified Snakes and that Guilty McCreech was the last unit alive on the Snake side of things. I'm thinking that the Snipers had a field day against the Snakes low defense. Maybe Dund (the OP and creator of these armies) could verify.

Anyway - I highly recommend trying out these armies for size. A really good way to get rolling with new players right away and to try out some of the trickier combos in HS.

SCAPE ON

"In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and - snap! - the job's a game." - Mary Poppins
Old June 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker

Dude this is awesome! I was planning on having a few friends over to introduce them to the game, and was having trouble coming up with a list of fair armies they could use. Hope you don't mind, but I will be stealing your armies next week for sure. :P

~Chimpy

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion