Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old August 7th, 2011, 12:08 AM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!
Raids metagame discussion

As many of you know, the Raids of Vahalla is up and running, and accepting submissions. Raid maps are small compact maps designed with only 16 starting hexes, 8 lighter than the BoV. The army sizes that are recommended for these maps, and the totals they are tested at is from 200 to 350 points.

Now, how do you think this would affect the units you see showing up on Saturdays for a tournament, or in your typical friendly match? I have my own thoughts of course, but I would like to hear your opinions.
Old August 7th, 2011, 12:27 AM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Raids metagame discussion

This is going to have a profound effect on what units are chosen. If half your army is one hero, that's a big risk to take. With 200 point armies, Q9 and Marcu might make a solid duo, however that's only 2 figures.

A lot of it is going to be cheap squads, as the expensive squads can't really be drafted in multiples. At 300-350 points, I can, however, see 2x minions and Atlaga being the army, or the core.

The starting zone doesn't seem to be small enough for it to change much. It prevents giant swarm armies, but realistically, there isn't enough points to spend on big swarms of effective units. Sure, you can fill up the spaces, but a special attack hero is probably needed anyway. With 200 point armies, it'll probably be 2 squads and a hero in the best of them, while 350 point games might see a hero and 4 squads, or 2 heroes and 4 squads if the points can fit it.

Depending on map size, melee armies might dominate. Smaller maps means less chasing the arrow flinging, gun toting denizens of Valhalla around the map. It's hard to run when your opponent can get there just as fast as you.

Finally, and I'll leave it off here, bonding will be even bigger in this point format. It isn't just moving a few army units with a bonded turn, its going to be more like moving entire armies, or half your army in a single turn. I see the Orcs excelling in this point format.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!

Last edited by The_X_Marker; August 7th, 2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old August 7th, 2011, 06:56 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

The best army core:

Krug- 120
Arrow Gruts x2- 80

If it is 250-300 points, draft Swogs and possibly another squad of Arrow gruts. If it is 350, I would take a couple of Swogs and Raelin. I can easily see the Gruts clogging up the map and Krug taking out a heavy hero.

Maybe I should try the Raids at my next club meeting...
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

I personally find that playing with smaller armies on smaller maps makes the game more fun and more challenging. every decision made has a greater impact than it normally would.
Old August 8th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Even fewer people will play the Incredible Hulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Considering RoV recommends maps use 200-350 point armies, I don't know that he could be used...
Old August 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Considering RoV recommends maps use 200-350 point armies, I don't know that he could be used...
I think that Jexik's post was supposed to be funny.

Now, as for my thoughts, I certainly agree with the Hero + 2 squads core. Bonding especially, it's a huge advantage to be able to move most of your army, however I would say that the larger benefit is that you have one place to put your OMs, a lost turn or misplaced OM is a huge loss in a smaller game, which again adds to the enhanced strategic value.

That being said, well-crafted armies without bonding have the potential to win a lot if they are played right, while Romans x2, Marcus, MBS is an excellent 250 army, it can be beaten by WoA x2, Syvarris, Arkmer if the second is OM managed correctly. However, if someone messes up the OMs, then the Romans will win.

Now, a quick rundown of some of the best units I found in my playtesting... (In no particular order)

SQUADS
-Arrow Gruts
-Blade Gruts
-Romans
-WoA
-Dwarves (Darrak +2x = 200, Migol + 2x = 250)
-Ashigaru Harqs (Suprisingly good, pair with SA hero
-Tagawa Archers
-Death Chasers
-Death Knights
-Spiders (Just a guess, didn't test)
-Heavies (Though less than Blades)
-Horned Skull Brutes (Again, untested)
-Izumis
-Marro Warriors
-Stingers
-Phantom Knights (Pair with unbonding melee)
-Nagrubs
-Venocs (often sans Warlord)
-Zombies (Speculative)

HEROES:
-Marcus
-Krug
-MBS
-Grimnak
-Nerak
-TKN
-Shotgun Sullivan
-James Murphy
-Jotun (Paired with Murphy for 300 is really good)
-Wyrmlings (especially Reds/Blacks)
-Dund (Has potential, lots of bonding)
-Mind Flayer (Again, against bonding)
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:50 PM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

For a small format game, this might make for an interesting army core:

Eldgrim (30)
Knights of Weston (100)
Alistair MacDirk (210)
MacDirk Warriors (290)

Eldgrim heads out with the Knights, gets killed, and goes on Alistair. Alistair bonds with remaining knights, picking up wounds and overextending until knights are whittled down, then MacDirks bat clean up... spend the remaining points as you see fit (Tarns might fit well, or Marro Warriors for range).

I could also see Samurai + Raelin doing well, as it would be difficult with less points to break that defense.

C3G Needs You! Interested in playtesting? Want to playtest?
Humbled to have been a C3G Hero!
Old August 9th, 2011, 10:53 PM

Therion knows what's in an order marker Therion knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margloth View Post
For a small format game, this might make for an interesting army core:

Eldgrim (30)
Knights of Weston (100)
Alistair MacDirk (210)
MacDirk Warriors (290)

Eldgrim heads out with the Knights, gets killed, and goes on Alistair. Alistair bonds with remaining knights, picking up wounds and overextending until knights are whittled down, then MacDirks bat clean up... spend the remaining points as you see fit (Tarns might fit well, or Marro Warriors for range).
I don't know, I think it'd work better to go with either Knights or Macdirk, but not both. And on a smaller map, Alistair is just going to be easier to kill. The Knights still have speed as their main weakness, making Bert necessary.

Sir Gilbert--105
KoW*2----245

Those guys add up fast. And now it isn't even close to the same army. How about:

Alistair MacDirk-------110
MacDirk Warriors*2---270

Those are even worse. But that does leave you those 30 points for Eldgrim. If the point totals go to 350, you could throw in Raelin for the much-needed defense, or Thorgrim for defense and another bonding hero.

Patience Drain
After loading and before posting, roll the twenty-sided die.
On a 1, Therion makes a long and/or irritating post.
On a 2-15, Therion may not post this turn.
On a 16+, post normally.
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:08 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

ROMAN LEIGONAIRESx3-150/12
ME-BURQ-SA-200/14
MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS-300/15

SONLEN-160/1
DEATHREAVERSx2-240/9
WHITE WYRMLINGx2-300/11

VENOC WARLORD-120/1
VENOC VIPERSx4-280/13
MARCU ESENWEIN-300/14

Naturally, you people all know I have been writing my armies with capslock ever since I came to the forums?

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...

Last edited by Kaiser Cat; August 11th, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:27 PM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

KoW's low move isn't such a factor on a small map.

Kaiser raises a good point, though. Legionaires can turtle on small maps, and their move isn't such a factor, so they'd be a defensive/offensive force.

Vipers would be oppressively offensive. I see this format as rewarding 1st strikes a great deal more.

Also interesting to note that OM placement / figure movement would change in this format. It's much less important to maintain the 'wave approach' if the map is small and you can quickly bring up reinforcements from the startzone.

C3G Needs You! Interested in playtesting? Want to playtest?
Humbled to have been a C3G Hero!
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

This is an interesting discussion that brought up many good points to ponder. Personnally... I'm all in favor or LARGER Maps, BIGGER Armies, and NO Order Markers. It makes HS more like a traditional War Game, especially if you stick to themed armies: i.e.
Sir Dendrik plus 10x KoW = 800 pt.;
Allistair MacDirk plus x 8x MacDirks + 1x Vikings = 800;
Marcus Decimus Gallus plus 14x Roman Legionaires = 800;
Cyprien and Sonya Essenwein plus 10x Zombies of Morindan = 800; etc.
BUT GOOD LUCK with your smaller maps and units, I'm sure it leads to faster and more frequent games.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; September 19th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles