Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Easy Popsicle Stick Boats-Tutorial! Yay!

Boats seem to be all the rage now, so I thought I'd throw my lot in.

The boats are made out of roughly 14 craft sticks with a normal pack of 200, and enough time, you can manufacture a fleet in a short time.

This boat took me roughly 3 days, mainly baecause the glue I used dried slowly. With the right kind of glue, you could probably make more than one a day.

The bottom is thin cardboard. That's the only part that isn't wood.

It fits nicely on three hexes. It only has problems when it's next to shore, or any land, but even then, problems are minor.

This is probably the best picture that I took.

When I get some more popsicle sticks, how-to will come.
Also, stay tuned for an easy rickety bridge!
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Those are awesome! Would you mind posting a tutorial?

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Easy Popsicle Stick Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
Looking forward to that how-to, too!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Re: Easy Popsicle Stick Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King
Looking forward to that how-to, too!
Are you studdering?

Back on topic, that boat looks awesome!!!! I love the battle scene between the Sacred Band and Vipers. That boat just looks so much cooler when it has figures in it or next to it. Great custom boat!!!!
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker
Make sure in your tutorial you post how to eat all them popsciles
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Torredo has disabled reputation
not to shabby
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
nice like em a lot
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM

deadeyedan42 has disabled reputation
Nice! I have a whole box full of popcilcle sticks in my basment, time to put 'em to good use!

FINISH HIM!
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nice job, Pumpkin_King!!

Newb.
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletor
Make sure in your tutorial you post how to eat all them popsciles
I prefer the mefod of scraping the popsicle part off the stick into a blender, then having a big ol' smoothie. And thanks for all the replies, guys. By friday, I'll have some more popsicle sticks, and then, schedule permitting, the tutorial by the following Monday. Thanks for your patience.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:53 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm a day late, but I finally got the tutorial up! I hope I do this with some kind of clarity, but if anyone has any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Okay, first off:

You'll need popsicle sticks, wood glue, (I used Titebond, but it dries too slowly. I'd try regular Elmer's wood glue.) an xacto knife, and thin cardboard. Cereal box cardboard is nice, cause it's thin and easy to cut.

Cut out the base using this template:

This is a rough estimate of the size, but my computer's monitor may have skewed the size.

Glue four sticks to the cardboard. Wood glue won't work here, so use rubber cement or white glue. Let this dry.

Take two full sticks and laythem side by side. Then take another stick and cut 1 inch off of both ends. Save the middle part, you'll need it. Glue the 1 inch parts to the two"planks" as shown.

Do this twice. Note, glue the pieces on something like carboard, because the glue has a habit of leaking through. Let this dry.

Take the middles you saved from earlier and cut a section 1-1/2 inch long. Do this for both, then glue the smaller parts onto the bigger parts.

Just like the bigger slats. Let this dry.

Take some more sticks and repeat the process, except smaller, 1-1/4th inch long.

Now you just have to let these dry. You can make more, using the same steps and process, or make only one. You decide.

Once they've dried, peel them up. They've probably pulled up some cardboard or paper. That's alright, just scrape what you can off, and the rest will be painted over.

Glue the larger planks to the side, as shown. Make sure you get the bottom of the vertical planks on the top of the bottom plank. A bit confusing, but it will fit and glue better.

Glue the back on the same way.

You're going to need something to lean the planks against while they dry.

Take whatever scraps you might have left and fill in the triangle part. Leave a lip of cardboard so the remaining planks will have something to sit on.

Glue the front like this. Note: The corner of the two front parts shouldn't be that far apart. I goofed. Sorry.

I won't be making a tutorial on painting, but I will give some tips:

1. Apple Barrel's Brown Oxide paint is good for that old wood look. It's 50 cents and availible at Wal-Mart. You can pick it up while you get the popsicle sticks.

2. Wait until the glue dries. This should be common sense, but I'll say it anyway.

3. Due to the tendency of wood to absorb paint, you'll need primer, or less extreme and expensive, two coats of paint.

A few days, and less than five bucks. General, your fleet is ready.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 02:10 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Sweeeeeeet. Next chance I get I'm going to Wal-Mart!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles