Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: lord of the rings heroscape
yes 6 37.50%
no 5 31.25%
dont own the right 5 31.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM

paintu2 has disabled reputation
who has the rights to lord of the rings

because i think it would be really cool if they made lord of the rings heroscape. The sabertooth game verison was to complex, heroscape would be perfect.
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM

RichardD has disabled reputation
The Tolkien people are *very* protective of their rights, and jump up and down on anyone who publishes anything without forst acquiring the rights off them (for a big slice of $$$). Since the success of the films, the price took a bog hike, too.

Having said that, they've granted rights - usually time-limited - for all sorts of games. If Hasbro thought that there was a market for a LOTR HS, they could easily do one (they did a LOTR Risk, after all).

Note that some parts of Tolkien's work are still held exclusively by his son, who is a complete arse about granting licences. A friend of mine has designed a few games - his very good game based on the Silmarillon went nowhere after it became clear thet Christopher Tolkien was never going to grant a licence, whereas his entirely mediocre Two Towers game was published by a big company in Germany who had purchased the rights to make boardgames "based on" the films.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old February 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
heroscape is already similar to LOTRs. Why do you want more?

My Signature
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire
heroscape is already similar to LOTRs. Why do you want more?
I like LOTR!
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:50 AM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
me too but i like herocape more!

My Signature
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I doubt we'll see LOTR scape. Seems like there would be too many overlapping themes. Do we really want to see the designers' attentions split between LOTR elves/orcs and Classic elves/orcs? With Marvel, Star Wars, DC, and other licenses you're talking about things that Heroscape hasn't touched on, really. With LOTR you're just entering another fantasy realm that covers a lot of the same ground.

I'd like to battle the Balrog with my Hulk figure, but I'd rather see classic scape get the bulk of the fantasy units.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion