Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth
Re: When rights are taken too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphic View Post
Really, the best way to fight these fools is to beat them at their own game.

They announce where they will be and when to gain support right? So show up with more people and protest the protest. Drown them out. Show them that average Joe American won't stand for this kind of behavior, legal or not.

The amendment goes both ways.

Sign suggestions:

God hates Bigots.
Stop giving Jesus a bad name.
John Smith was a ----. "Get Creative"

The groups sounds similar to other "non-profit" groups like PETA and a dozen enviromental groups, in their tactics.

Cheers,

Delphic
I believe you are on the right track. But in the context of a funeral, I would recommend supporters fill the public areas near the site and stand silently in honor of the fallen soldier and out of respect for the family. WBC could still protest, but they would be pushed further away from the site. I believe this tactic was implemented or at least discussed in the St. Louis area a few years ago when WBC threatened to demonstrate at a funeral.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
The groups sounds similar to other "non-profit" groups like PETA and a dozen enviromental groups, in their tactics.

Personal foul! Cheap shot, 15 yard penalty for Unnecessary Metaphor, automatic first down.

Delphic, you are saying they are publicity hounds, which is true, but heaven knows there are publicity hounds with causes all over the political spectrum. Just because you agree with some and not others doesn't make it right to lump these a*hats in with the ones you don't like.

I don't see much different in comparing PETA to these folks.

Two years ago there was a young Canadian man murdered on a Grey Hound bus by a wack job with a Katana Sword. The Young Man was decapitated.

PETA within a week had posters up comparing this tragedy with the slaughter of cows. Made the family feel really special.

It isn't that I don't agree "which I don't", it is that the tactics are the same. Using tragedy to bring attention to your cause in an inapropriate way.

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

"Desre for good grammar makes one looking to destroy fun??"

I love it when the overly critical can't meet their own expectations.

Last edited by delphic; March 3rd, 2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
But in the context of a funeral, I would recommend supporters fill the public areas near the site and stand silently in honor of the fallen soldier and out of respect for the family. WBC could still protest, but they would be pushed further away from the site. I believe this tactic was implemented or at least discussed in the St. Louis area a few years ago when WBC threatened to demonstrate at a funeral.
Now *that* is a good idea.

From the Wikipedia article about Matthew Shepard and how the counterprotesters dealt with the hateful bigots outside the courthouse:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Romaine Patterson, a friend of Shepard's, organized a group of individuals who assembled in a circle around an anti-gay group wearing white robes and gigantic wings (resembling angels) that blocked the protesters.
edit: In response to some private communication I've received, Delphic is entitled to compare Westboro Baptist Church to PETA and environmental groups if he wants, I am entitled to say that's an unfair comparison, but I'm not going to hijack the thread with that side conversation.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 3rd, 2011 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Huh! What do you know. That was the Westboro Baptist Church protesting at that trial, too. Like STD, the WBC gets around.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

The westoboro church is just insane. But what is really a tragedy is the child abuse they are spreading to their children. Teaching their children that people are nothing but ___s (censored for heroscapers) and evil, and deserving of hell just for not believe what they believe is absolutely terrible. I don't think the children even understand what they are protesting when their parents drag them out to funerals, hand them a sign, and give them a line to parrot back to people.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM

delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby! delphic rolls all skulls baby!

edit: In response to some private communication I've received, Delphic is entitled to compare Westboro Baptist Church to PETA and environmental groups if he wants, I am entitled to say that's an unfair comparison, but I'm not going to hijack the thread with that side conversation. - Dad_Scaper

So given the actions of PETA as describe here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...ta-mclean.html

What exactly is unfair in the comparison? The issue is bigger than one group going to extremes. It is another example of how militant protest groups operate and manipulate, only the focus changes group to group, not the tactics.

Obviously, I have hit a sore spot here. Perhaps you back PETA and don't like the comparison, however it is fair, on topic and correct.

You called me out brother.

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Delphic I called you out for your broad comment about "PETA and a dozen other environmental groups." I did not call you out just for PETA. You are still called out and your agenda is there for all the readers to see.

For what it's worth I don't give two craps about PETA, but this is a thread about the Westboro Baptist Church and you tried to use it as a tool to smear "environmental groups" - not just PETA, but "environmental groups."

I was perfectly happy to let it go, but you are right, it's apparently a sore spot. Not *my* sore spot, but a sore spot nonetheless.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 3rd, 2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: "Cheers." Yeah, right.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM

BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker BassistofDoom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardris1287 View Post
The westoboro church is just insane. But what is really a tragedy is the child abuse they are spreading to their children. Teaching their children that people are nothing but ___s (censored for heroscapers) and evil, and deserving of hell just for not believe what they believe is absolutely terrible. I don't think the children even understand what they are protesting when their parents drag them out to funerals, hand them a sign, and give them a line to parrot back to people.
Absolutely right. These kids are growing up surrounded by hatred for other people and are taught that God is a hateful being as well instead of a loving, caring one. It is terrible that they are witnessing all of this before they are even old enough to understand it and will have that in their heads as normal and right.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM

Dad_Scaper

You still have not answered my question as to why the comparison is unfair or false. I could post links to news stories about a plethera of militant envirnomental groups that have stooped just as low.

I am not anti-environementalist.
I am not anti-animal rights.

I am Anti-extremist.
I am Anti-propaganda.
I am Pro-Decency.
I am Pro-Free Speech.

So again, I don't understand the reason you felt you needed to call me out on a very supportable and related arguement.

I am agreeing that this church group is in the wrong, I am just pointing out that this kind of extreme act is perpetrated to bring attention to an issue and they are not the only protest group to do so.

Pointing out specific acts of these groups and holding them responsible is the only way to fight them.

I hope you understand my motivations a bit better. What exactly are your again?

Cheers,

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Cant I get in trouble for yelling FIRE, in a public place?
Not as long as there really is a fire. You can get in trouble for falsely yelling fire in a public place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant
Where does free speech begin and end? Where and why is/nt there a line drawn? Why cant military funerals be considered federal business? These people were property of the government when they were serving (alive), correct?
Why would calling the funerals "federal business", mean that you would be unable to protest them? I would think calling them property of the government would give protestors more of a right to be there not less?

To be clear, I think everyone of these nut jobs are tools. But even tools get to voice their opinions.

Bannister
Given by what I seen in this thread http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=34871 it seems that in certain cases people can be removed from public places where ferderal employees are speaking. I guess that's what I'm basing my thoughts on. I know it's not apples to apples. I'm just frustrated and feel like justice wasn't properly served for these scum bags. I feel sorry for families who've had to endure seeing loved ones make the ultimate sacrifice, only to have these scum bags show up and make things worse for them. I just can't imagine how that would make me feel if I was in their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyelephant View Post
Cant I get in trouble for yelling FIRE, in a public place? Where does free speech begin and end? Where and why is/nt there a line drawn? Why cant military funerals be considered federal business? These people were property of the government when they were serving (alive), correct?
Expressing deplorable viewpoints and attempting to incite a panic are 2 completely different things. It is honestly very important that we protect the right of unpopular speech as popular speech is rarely threatened. It is unpopular speech that can lead to social change and growth. For instance, civil rights was not a popular topic in the 60's. Many would have liked to quash it, but it was protected, even though a largely unpopular subject and it led to change.

Quote:
"Shouting fire in a crowded theater" is a misquote that refers to Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.'s opinion in the United States Supreme Court case Schenck v. United States in 1919 and that is used to express the limits upon which free speech may be expressed under the terms of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution.
Holmes, writing for a unanimous majority, ruled that it was illegal to distribute fliers opposing the draft during World War I. Holmes argued this abridgment of free speech was permissible because it presented a "clear and present danger" to the government's recruitment efforts for the war. Holmes wrote:

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent. Holmes wrote of falsely shouting fire, because, of course, if there were a fire in a crowded theater, one may rightly indeed shout "Fire!". Falsely shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater, i.e. shouting "Fire!" when one believes there to be no fire in order to cause panic, was interpreted not to be protected by the First Amendment.

Schenck was later overturned by Brandenburg v. Ohio, which ruled that speech could only be banned when it was directed to and likely to incite imminent lawless action (e.g. a riot), the test which remains until this day. Some now see the Schenck argument to be mistaken, contending that the pamphleteer's actions were more like yelling fire outside a building to prevent people from entering, rather than trying to encourage people to stampede out.

Despite Schenck being overturned, the phrase "shouting fire in a crowded theater" has since come to be known as synonymous with an action that the speaker believes goes beyond the rights guaranteed by free speech, reckless or malicious speech, or an action whose outcomes are blatantly obvious.
One of my most beloved quotations on the subject is a line often misattributed to Volaire*: I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

* Though these words are regularly attributed to Voltaire, they were first used by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, writing under the pseudonym of Stephen G Tallentyre in The Friends of Voltaire (1906), as a summation of Voltaire's beliefs on freedom of thought and expression.

For Clarity, let me state emphatically that I think WBC is a bunch of despicable nut jobs.
That was a nice history lesson. Thanks for that Cav, I never knew.

Quote:
Really, the best way to fight these fools is to beat them at their own game.

They announce where they will be and when to gain support right? So show up with more people and protest the protest. Drown them out. Show them that average Joe American won't stand for this kind of behavior, legal or not.

The amendment goes both ways.

Sign suggestions:

God hates Bigots.
Stop giving Jesus a bad name.
John Smith was a ----. "Get Creative"

Cheers,

Delphic
I was listening to the radio today. A man called in saying that his nephew died in 2006 during a tour in Iraq. During the funeral this "church" showed up spewing their hate. However, a truck driver knew that they might show, so he had a professionally made banner placed on the trailer of his rig that displayed several Marines with their heads bowed. He parked the trailer directly in front of these clowns so that the family of the lost soldier wouldn't see them. Then on top of that, a group of bikers showed up, parked their bikes as close to the scum bags and revved up their motors every time one of the scum bags tried to yell something hateful.

He said that you wouldn't of even of known that there were people protesting. I thought it was very touching to hear of people going out of their way and spending their own money/time to fight these scum bags. God bless them.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Dad_Scaper

You still have not answered my question as to why the comparison is unfair or false. I could post links to news stories about a plethera of militant envirnomental groups that have stooped just as low.

I am not anti-environementalist.
I am not anti-animal rights.

I am Anti-extremist.
I am Anti-propaganda.
I am Pro-Decency.
I am Pro-Free Speech.

So again, I don't understand the reason you felt you needed to call me out on a very supportable and related arguement.

I am agreeing that this church group is in the wrong, I am just pointing out that this kind of extreme act is perpetrated to bring attention to an issue and they are not the only protest group to do so.

Pointing out specific acts of these groups and holding them responsible is the only way to fight them.

I hope you understand my motivations a bit better. What exactly are your again?

Cheers,

Delphic

I guess (If I could arbitrate for a moment) that the difference is these scum bags are doing it solely for monetary purposes. Trying to lure you into a law suit.

Environmentalists like PETA, have a reason beyond just themselves. More of a broad agenda, I guess?

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
What exactly is unfair in the comparison?
If PETA was like WBC, they would have showed up at McLean's funeral screaming about how McLean was a cannibal that deserved to be butchered. That's just a whole level beyond pure sensationalism in my mind. It indicates a mindset willing to violate one of the core concepts of human decency - respect for the dead and the grieving process of the survivors.

~Aldin, killing time

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM

So here is a suggestion for dealing with this kind of extremist hate group.

The Canadian Criminal Code, seperates the rights of free expression and propogation of HATE.

Public incitement of hatred

"319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
(b) an offence punishable on summary conviction."

Delphic

Neg Rep of the Year :

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General