Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old August 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Book of Major Q9

That’s actually a REALLY cool custom! I like how his defensive special only activates on OTHER special attacks, something we have not seen from the game thus far!

I'd DEFINITLY put that custom build up in the customs foams Mentant , GREAT first post (appropriately put in the book of Q9 as it would act as a stellar counter to the big Major)

DreddRep for you buddy, welcome to the site! (I'm serious about starting a customs thread too, you seem to have a good handle on it!)

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM

Strange has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendBayes View Post
Strange, I can see where you are coming from with the "no Q9 counter" argument, but I've got to respectfully disagree. The collective imagination of all 'scapers---not to mention those on development payroll---could certainly come up with something decent, no? Without having taken part in any collaboration I've put some ideas below (which, with collaboration, could certainly be enhanced/improved upon).

Note that

*Q9, Q10, and X17 are the only 'Majors'.
*Only Q9 and Q10 have range greater than one.

Exploit these two facts to get the following abilities that could be placed on a new unit to counter Q9 and/or Q10, but not (or almost not) affect X17:

JAMMING SIGNAL: All Majors within X spaces of this unit have range 1.

or

JAMMING SIGNAL: All Majors adjacent to this unit roll 4 fewer defense dice.

or

HOMING SIGNAL: Any Majors making a ranged attack must target this unit if possible.

Then throw in stealth dodge, or some other complementary abilities/stats, and you've got a new unit/squad that is an effective counter to Q9 for his point value.

If I've gone wrong anywhere, let me know.
Well, any of those abilities would certainly ruin a Major's day. But I see a couple of problems with this counter-unit, who I'll call "Major Payne":

a) Q10 doesn't need an extra counter. His 5 defense cracks easily enough that he doesn't have the menace of Q9. And you can't complain about his two attacks of four - Kaemon Awa has the same for a lower price.

b) How would Payne fare in an army that does NOT include any of his rival Majors? Clearly, much of his point cost would be contingent on his Q9-ravaging ability... although it's suitable for drafting, no tournament army could afford to waste X number of points on the possibility that it will face one of three units in the entire game with the proper distinction.

However, you're certainly on to something with the first "Jamming Signal" ability. We haven't seen any heroes with the ability to reduce opponents' range. That idea has a lot of potential!

It would take a good deal of balancing, though. It'd rather defeat the purpose to introduce a unit that can sit there, shutting down the opponent's ranged pod, as Q9 steps in to lay waste to everyone. Imagine a battle involving two such armies! Perhaps a "dead zone" special ability that affects all figures (friendly or not) within X radius.

rdhight, I agree that Venom does put a damper on the Major's effectiveness. But then again, very few Marvel figures don't.

Mentant, I really like your ninja assassin idea! An anti-special attack ability definitely fills a niche. With some alteration, he'd be the perfect complement to the Ninjas of the Northern Wind or any samurai army.

Whatever does not kill me has made a tactical error.
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

Who would you say the rival of Q9 is?
I would like to make a picture of Q9 vs rival.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.

Last edited by Richard; November 12th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Who would you say the rival of Q9 is?
I would like to make a picture of Q9 vs rival.
The Minions of Utgar.

~Aldin, opinionatedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'd say the rival is one of the Deathwalkers, Krug, or possibly Major Q10.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

Definitely Krug, imo.

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Zetacron and a squad of Omnicrons might make a good match-up against Q9 for a picture.
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

Krug.
Old November 12th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby! Richard rolls all skulls baby!

I guess I'll go with Krug, though I like the others too.
What about a squad to throw in the background of Krug? I figure for Q9 I'll use Microcorps.

Strong arms and sharp steel rule this world.
Never believe any different.

Last edited by Richard; November 12th, 2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Minions or Stingers can be great against Q9--also would be cool in the background of Krug.
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would say Nilfheim is a wonderful counter to Major Q9. The others mentioned (Zetacron, Minions, Stingers, Krav) work well enough, but for me, the Ice Dragon has always been the bread and butter for taking the Major down.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I guess I'll go with Krug, though I like the others too.
What about a squad to throw in the background of Krug? I figure for Q9 I'll use Microcorps.
Why not the Arrow Gruts that bond with him?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units