Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old August 25th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Bay Area Brawl - NHSD '09

When: Saturday, Oct. 17th, 11am to 6pm. It's okay if you come late, and we might stay later as well!

Where: San Jose's premier FLGS - Game Kastle!

What: It's National Heroscape Day! We're gonna roll some SKULLS in celebration. Come meet and hang with the NorCal 'Scape crew, play hard, have fun, and if you're good enough maybe you'll take home some prizes.

The Event Format: Rolling Rumble

ALL PLAYERS WILL BRING DICE, OMs, AND TWO 525pt armies, each with a 24 hexes limit. A player's two armies must not share any cards between them, ie if one army has Knights, the other army can not. Note: One army may have Sgt Drake (RotV) and the other may use Sgt. Drake (SotM) as they are not the same card. No Marvel- Sorry Windlane. Maps will be posted below.

The maps will be numbered (ideally, there will be more maps built than are required to have everyone playing). To start, make random pairings and fill up the first however-many maps. If there is an odd number of people, the nonplaying person puts their name and record (0-0 at this stage) on the prominently displayed whiteboard.

Once two players are paired on a map, players will determine their army selection. Each player will reveal both armies at their disposal and then roll a d20. High roller selects one of their two armies, but does not yet place any figures in his starting zone. Low roller then chooses one of their armies, placing his figures on the map first. When the low roller has completed his placement, the high roller then places his figures in their starting zone. If both players have faced each other before, select the armies the previously were not played. Once armies are chosen, begin play.

Play each game to completion, or the extreme time limit of 100 minutes, player enforced. If you reach this time limit, finish the current round and then count points wholecard-edly to determine a winner.

The pool of waiting players will be listed on a whiteboard. When you finish your game, check the board for opponents. The winner plays the person on the board with the best record that he has not previously played. If there is more than one such player with equal records, the winner plays the one who has been waiting longer. The loser plays the player who has been waiting longest that she has not already played. In each case, if there is no suitable opponent in the pool, then add your name and record to the bottom of the whiteboard. If long wait times seem likely, players may choose an opponent they've previously faced based upon their record and their wait time, so long as it is not the opponent they just played.

Now that the players are paired, remove the player's name and record from the whiteboard and play. Choose the lowest numbered free map that neither of you have played on before. If there are no such maps, play on the lowest numbered free map. Map chosen, players choose armies like before, and play proceeds once more.

Play will continue as such until 5:30, at which point a half-hour warning will be called. From there, no more games are started and at the end of the half-hour any unfinished games finish their current round, play two more rounds and, if still not completed, decide the game on points, calculated wholecard-edly.

Rankings are determined according to the following criteria:

A) Best win difference (number of wins minus number of losses),
B) Win percentage,
C) D20 roll.

That is, the win difference is the primary method of ranking. Within equal differences, win percentage decides the placing. If the records are identical, roll the D20 (any splits made by the D20 are for prize table purposes only).

Note that in order to qualify as a ranking player, you must play a minimum of 3 games. This may be shifted to 4 games on the day of depending on attendance and average number of games played.

- On the Event Format, if you have questions or comments, please post them!

The Attendee List:

1. Menchi
2. Mr. Fullerton
3. Mr. Fullerton's Guests 1-4(?)
4. GeneralGrievous13
5. GeneralGrievous13's Dad
6. Killz
7. Killometer
8. cmgames
9. cmgames' Entourage ( Jeff the new recruit, Jerry22, and Daftfighterz64)
10. Carnival Man
11. Carnival Boy
12. Windlane (Later attendee)
13. tshill12
14. 1moreheroscaper (?)
15. killz friends 1&2(?)
16. Dnutt99 (is coming to party!)
17. RunoftheMill
18. RoninValentina

(Seventeen confirmed players, and plenty of room for more! So SIGN UP TODAY!)

The Map List:

For our Rolling Rumble, there will be only one instance of each map type. Considering our booming attendence, it will likely be practical to have two of each map at this rate. If you can provide a map, please let me know in the thread and I'll add your name to the map you're bringing. Thanks.

Dvalin's Furnace - Gamebear (cmgames, )

Paludal Passage - Velenne (Carnival Man, )

Capuan Arena - Mad Wookie (Killometer, Killz)

Fissure - Dignan (cmgames x2)

Viper Valley - nyys (Killometer, RoninValentina)

A Stone's Throw - darkmage7a (GeneralGrievous13, killz)

Rift Valley - RoninValentina (RoninValentina x2)

Glyphs - Please note that the following three maps have fixed glyphs: Capuan Arena, (Initiative) Viper Valley (Defense +1), and Fissure (Move+2) If you bring these maps, please provide those glyphs. Otherwise we'll roll with the Gencon glyph set. Initiative, Unique Attack, Defense +1, Move +2, Wound, and Healing glyph. If you're bringing a map with undefined glyphs, please pick three glyphs randomly from the glyph pool and provide them with the map. Players sitting at the map will then pick two at random- this should allow a bit of glyph variation without having to have everyone provide a boatload of glyphs.

It's been some time since we NorCal folk got together and threw down some dice, so I'm guessing many of you should be foaming at the mouth to come out and play. So what are you waiting for? Sign up here, and stay tuned! This thread will be updating as fast as the info comes in!

- Ronin

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; October 12th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Reigning Nor-Cal Champion

Menchi has disabled reputation
Re: Bay Area Brawl - NHSD '09

After GenCon and my humiliating defeats at the hands of my own weakness, I'm eager for some blood. I will be there.
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:09 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Let me check with my social calendar (a.k.a. my wife) before I commit, but I'm hoping to be there.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If it's on a Saturday after 3:00PM, I can host it.

The trailer park I'm in now (financial circumstances have me living with my parents again) has a clubhouse that can be rented for a deposit of $120. We get the deposit back if we clean the place when we're done - sweeping up, wiping the counter tops, a quick mop (I think, might not have to mop).

The room could easily hold 40 people and the tables for them to sit at, so it's great for our needs. I also have a decent amount of scape and would be able to set up several maps.

We'd have the room all day, I can check to see how late we can go, but I'm pretty sure it's fairly open. There's also a full kitchen with fridge, so snack placement and storage are very easy.

The only downside is that I have no money and someone else or multiple someones would need to provide the deposit.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Mr.Fullerton Woo who?

So I've been gone from the site for a LONG time. Life seems to get that way. But when I got the email about NHSD '09, I HAD to respond. I will be there 100%. Not only that, but I tentatively have 4 Scape virgins who want to join as well. I'm going to teach them the game between now and then so they stand a chance. So count me in with a possible 4 extra. I'm SO stoked right now.

Edit: I can throw down some money for a location. Not a whole lot, but some. I'd say about $30-40. Especially I we get it back for cleaning up afterwards.

Last edited by Mr.Fullerton; August 25th, 2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Monetary support
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I'd LOVE to be able to make it to a tourney. Unfortunately I work on Saturdays and Sundays, but if it is in the afternoon I'm sure that I could get off early. If it's at a time that I could make I could pitch in some $ towards the venue.

Edit: I'd be coming from Los Gatos, and could probably get anywhere south of the Bay Bridge by ~2:00.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)

Last edited by Killometer; August 25th, 2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Windlane- that sounds like it'd work pretty nicely, and the money if returned isn't an issue. But 3pm is a bit late, especially since we'd have to set up and wouldn't get to start until 3:30-4:00. Is there any way it could be earlier, even by a couple of hours? I'll be happy to stay well into the evening, but for those who are coming from further away it'd be nice to give them the chance to play more than a couple games. Lastly, where is this place? South San Jose?

Mr. Fullerton- Glad to hear from you! I saw you haven't been active in months, so I pulled your email addy from your listed website; if you didn't show for a couple of days I was gonna use it to make shore you were in the loop. Glad to hear you'll be attending, and your guests as well!

Killometer- I work weekends all the time too, you have two months warning, ask the time off in advance! (Just wait till the time is set first.)

Lastly, I have a tourney format in mind for Bay Area Brawl '09. It was developed by Ollie here on 'Scapers and it sounds like a lot of fun. If you want to read the full thread, click here, otherwise the summation is below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
Rolling Rumble

<Bring a 500pt army. The start zones are 24 hexes. Glyph use TBD. We'll be using these maps...>

The maps will be numbered 1 to N. To start, make random pairings and fill up the first however-many maps. If there is an odd number of people, one person sits at the first free map.

There is no time limit for each game; play each game to completion. When a game finishes, the winner starts a game with someone he has not yet played who is sitting at an empty map according to the following order of priority:

1) Best record among those waiting,
2) Longest waiting time.

If there is no-one that he has not yet played, he sits at the first free map.

The loser starts a game with the person who has been waiting longest that she has not yet played. Again, if she has played everyone that is waiting, she sits at the next empty map.

If on completion of a game a player has played all of the waiting opponents and there are no free maps then that player plays the person that has been waiting the longest.

Continue for <some length of time---four and a half hours, say>. Call a half-hour warning after which no more games are started; at the end of the half-hour any unfinished games finish their current round, play two more rounds and, if still not completed, decide the game on points, calculated <fractionally/wholecardicitly>.

Rankings are determined according to the following criteria:

A) Best win difference (number of wins minus number of losses),
B) Win percentage,
C) D20 roll.

That is, the win difference is the primary method of ranking. Within equal differences, win percentage decides the placing, and so on.

Alternative and additional options

The previous section describes the rules I'd use if I were to run a tournament using this method tomorrow. Others have suggested variations. I don't think we'll know what works best and what is necessary until we start using the format. For now, I'll list the alternatives here; use them if you think they're better!

Alternative ranking algorithms. Should win difference be higher priority than win percentage? (Is 5-1 better than 3-0?) When using win difference, is win percentage or number of wins the appropriate secondary criterion? (Is 6-2 better than 5-1?) Should points remaining be collated to add another criterion? (Is 5-1 with a points differential of 530 sufficiently different to 5-1 with a points differential of 450 to be worth everyone collecting that information?) Any and all of the criteria can be put into the order of your choosing to determine placings.

Extreme time limit. Games cannot go on longer than 100 minutes. If you reach this time limit then count points to determine a winner.

Repeat players allowed. To reduce the number of people waiting, drop the condition that players cannot play against those they've already played and replace it with the weaker condition that they cannot immediately replay the opponent against whom they just played.
It's pretty straight forward, is both competitive and casual in feel, and should allow for lots of satisfying games. I'm considering the idea of allowing each player to bring two armies and switch between them as they like, but I'm not set on that yet. We'll see. Thoughts?

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Killz is surprisingly tart

I think I will be able to make it, though it depends where it is.

Killz is kicking it as...

Ne-Gok-Sa, the original OG and stuff

in the
Perth Keep...
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Unfortunately, I have class till 1:20PM on Saturdays, and bus home is about an hour and a half. I don't know what kinds of restrictions they have on who can go into the clubhouse (the place being reserved) without a park resident. That's something else I'll have to ask about tomorrow.

As to the location, it's within a quarter mile of the Santa Clara County Fair Grounds. Pretty easy to get to as it's off of Monterey Expressway which itself is within a street of 280, 101, 680, 85, & 87.

There's also figuring out what kind of use the instructor actually puts the class time to. Some don't use the whole time set aside when it's a week's worth of classes in a day like this.

I'll have more in-depth information tomorrow.

Last edited by Wind Lane; August 25th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
Unfortunately, I have class till 1:20PM on Saturdays, and bus home is about an hour and a half.
Where do you go to school? Maybe someone coming from your direction would be able to give you lift and shave that time down a bit.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
Unfortunately, I have class till 1:20PM on Saturdays, and bus home is about an hour and a half.
Where do you go to school? Maybe someone coming from your direction would be able to give you lift and shave that time down a bit.
I'm at De Anza, and there's still other info to find out before I look into getting hooked up with a ride. It's something I'm keeping in mind though, thank you.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:36 PM

GeneralGrievous13 is surprisingly tart

This sounds awesome! Please sign my Dad and me up.

I think that Game Kastle in San Jose would also be a good location for Bay Area Brawl - NHSD '09. They have lots of room. Here's a link to their website, Game Kastle.com.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day