Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Sports: NFL

Sooo ... he's not going to the Dolphins, then?

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
There must be more to the story about Chudzinski, fired after just one season. My #1 takeaway from the Chudzinski firing, without a doubt, is that with the change of ownership it's still business as usual in Cleveland.
I remembered having posted this a few weeks ago when I saw this article today, about how much the (coach-less) Browns are paying or have paid ex-coaches:
Chris Palmer 3 years $3 million
Butch Davis 3 years $12 million
Romeo Crennel 3 years Approx. $10 million
Eric Mangini 2 years $7.8 million
Pat Shurmur 2 years left About $5.6 million
Rob Chudzinski 3 years left $10.5 million
I am not saying the Browns made a bad decision by dumping Lombardi, having now fired both the HC and the GM after only one year on the job each. And Joe Banner, team CEO, too. Apparently Lombardi was not a beloved figure in Cleveland or across the NFL.

But you *know* your team may be dysfunctional when the owner comes out, alone, and gives a press conference explaining that the team isn't dysfunctional. I am utterly fascinated with the Cleveland Browns.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:12 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Coming from a passionate Browns fan, the firing of Lombardi and Banner is the single best piece of news I've heard since Haslam has taken over. I didn't love either of their hires in the first place, and it's certainly in the best interest of the team to get them out of town. Giving Ray Farmer complete control of personnel will quickly knock down what could be the major obstacle blocking the Browns from success, front office competency. (If you didn't know, Ray Farmer was the director of player personnel in Kansas City while they built up the foundation of their current roster.

Farmer is much more in tune with today's NFL than Banner or Lombardi, and has the current talent, salary cap room, and draft picks to turn the franchise around in the blink of an eye. Without that extra layer in the chain of command that was Joe Banner last year, decisions will be made quicker and the people closest to the action will have more power.

It can't be denied that the defense, when healthy, is a consistent pass-coverage focused linebacker and another lock down corner from being elite, (assuming T.J. Ward is resigned). The offense obviously needs more pieces, but realistically, retain Alex Mack, add a proven guard (Richie Incognito, anyone?) and add a solid number two wide out either through the draft or free agency, and the offense could be in decent shape. (Remember, that Brian Hoyer will be back next year and there isn't anything that says a Dion Lewis/Edwin Baker backfield can't be effective.)

With the ~ $35 million in adjusted salary cap space the Browns are looking at, the team could easily retain free agents Ward (franchise tag: $8 mil/yr), Mack ($6-7 mil/yr), sign a guard like Richie Incognito ($1 mil/yr), and still be in financial position to land a guy like Brandon Spikes on the defensive side, ($6-8 mil/yr), and overpay for a receiver like Eric Decker at ($10-11 mil/yr). (OK, this one may be wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's a little much to pay a guy $10+ a year to be a definite #2 option)

Bear in mind, these are all complete hypotheticals, but it shows the kind of power this much salary cap space has the potential to produce. Haslam wouldn't be consistently bringing up the cap space at all his press conferences if he wasn't prepared to spend big. Since we know that a few guys such as Brandon Weeden are in line to be cut loose, the free money will only grow.

Looking at the draft, there are a million ways to approach it with 2 first rounders, a second rounder and 2 third rounders among their 10 picks, but some obvious considerations will be given for a future quarterback, additional wide receiver help, as well as at running back position. I don't see the team using either first rounder on defense simply because they have too many more glaring holes to fill with the 4th overall pick to go with Clowney, and there really isn't any other sure-fire starter available that perfectly fills a need for the Browns.

Whether it's through the draft or free agency, I can almost guarantee that Gordon will not be alone in the receiving corps for the Browns, and neither Brandon Weeden or Jason Campbell will be taking any meaningful snaps in for the team in 2014. With a year under his belt, Barkevious Mingo has all the potential to break out into a feared pass rusher, and the defense as a whole will only get better, regardless of what additions are made.

I'm not saying the team is Super Bowl worthy or even playoff bound, but to anyone taking a close look at the teams situation, there isn't any reason to believe that 2014 will be just another season to forget in Cleveland

I encompass, and I eclipse.
Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun

Last edited by Darth Vader; February 11th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 09:33 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

DV, like I said, I totally get the move. I hope it works out. And I hope the Steelers and/or the Bengals become the doormats of the AFCN, because really, those two teams have a lot more to dislike about them than the Bad News Browns.

So, I hope it works out for you, and I hope you understand why it's so morbidly fascinating to those outside the Forest City. Good luck!

= =
Old February 12th, 2014, 11:12 AM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don't know much about the Browns, so I've gotta ask - why was Lombardi so unpopular? Seems like he stole a first rounder from the Colts for a mediocre running back and fired a coach, probably too soon.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 12th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Specifically, the rumor I heard is that he had promised the ability to deliver a particular head coach, which he failed to do. I also heard that his reputation among NFL front offices is that he is something of a weasel. Those are all unsourced commentary from a radio talking head, so I do not have a link or anything. If he promised to deliver a particular HC and failed to do so, that would explain getting fired after having worked only one year on the job, and having fired the guy you promised you could replace with a particular person.

Chudzinski is pretty well thought of, and I recall reading articles about how he was unkind in his description of the Browns FO when people asked him about it after his firing. You would expect there to be some sour grapes, I suppose, but nevertheless it painted the Bronws FO in an unkind light.

= =
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:05 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Looking back on 2013, it sure seems like that's a team that, even if it wasn't exactly good, was at least headed in the right direction. And the Richardson trade was obviously a steal.

The sequence of events does seem like mismanagement. If you are going to fire Lombardi (although the reason is unclear and a random talk radio smear means very little to me) then do that first, bring in a new GM, and let him contribute to the decision on Chudzinski.
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Right! Which is why the rumor I heard on the radio, that the Chudzinski firing was related to a promise from Lombardi to Haslan that Lombardi could get a /particular/ desirable HC candidate, rings true.

The weird timeline then makes sense:

1. Chudzinski hired.
2. Lombardi hired, based partly on a promise to upgrade HC.
3. Chudzinski fired.
4. Lombardi fails to deliver promised HC candidate.
5. Lombardi fired.

There remain two mysteries to me, though. First, why did Banner have to go, too, and second, why, between steps 4 and 5, did they hire a different HC? Why not fire Lombardi *first*, and *then* replace Chudzinski?

DV, thoughts?

= =
Old February 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM

This sounds like complete mismanagement at the owner level of things. Why do Browns fans have such ire against Lombardi, then?

Old February 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darth Vader wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Speaking from the perspective of a die-hard Browns fan again, there were a lot of problems and potential problems with the Banner/Lombardi brain trust.

First of all, the reason why Lombardi isn't popular in Cleveland is because he was the Director of Player Personnel in the seasons leading up to the team's departure to Baltimore. Also, he doesn't have the best reputation as a talent evaluator, (I'm not sure if it's fair to point it out, but he picked Jamarcus Russell.)

There's a reason why he's spent most of the last decade as a writer and analyst, and not running a team. Sure he has made some great moves, but so has every other NFL executive at some point or another. Without a robust track record, Lombardi really didn't have much to fall back on when trying to defend this season, or trying to counter the philosophical differences that developed between him, Banner and Haslam.

Again, as a Browns fan, having Joe Banner running the team just never sat well. While we can look at his tenure in Philadelphia and maybe say it was a success, it wasn't like he was running the Patriots of the mid-2000's or anything. He has a history of minimizing player-friendly contracts, which is great in principle, but could easily prevent the Browns from retaining and obtaining the talent they really need to win.

On top of that, if any of the reports are true, Mr. Banner didn't exactly present himself as a guy you want to work for during the head coaching interview process. According to Ken Whisenhunt, Banner openly insulted him during Ken's interview with the Browns, and he's not the only coach to make this claim.

Banner was also said to have put pressure on Chudzinski to cut players who really didn't deserve the axe, (which doesn't exactly make sense because Banner, not Chudzinski, had absolute final say on the personnel, but multiple reports of this exist.) It was also Banner who pressured Haslam to fire Chudzinski, promising Haslam that he and Lombardi could land the head coach of their pick, (I've seen quotes on this expanding beyond just one radio interview). And they couldn't make this happen. (Not a knock on Pettine, I'm super excited about what he brings to the table and I think he has all the tools to succeed, but it was pretty apparent he wasn't their first choice.)

Haslam, being a majority NFL owner for only 17 months, was putting too much on the word of Joe Banner, and he knew it. Although he won't admit it publicly, he probably would have been happier just keeping Chudzinski rather than undergoing this latest head coach search, but he yielded to the "football guy" in the room and axed Chud. I think Haslam realized that maybe Banner isn't the great football mastermind that he talks himself up to be, (he never won a Superbowl in Philly) and it was better to cut ties with him now than to throw away another season.

At first glance I can completely get why it looks ridiculous for Cleveland to continue the revolving door when it comes to their decision makers, but at the end of the day, I'd rather them do this than keep in place a couple of stooges that don't have what it takes to win a Superbowl. I do think the jobs of Lombardi and Banner were somewhat interconnected in Haslam's mind, and if one went, the other is out as well.

Any more questions, I'll be happy to weigh in on.

Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun

Last edited by Darth Vader; February 12th, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:52 PM

I dunno. I thought Cleveland had a pretty good season this year considering they had no QB. And they're in good position to change that this offseason. I guess I felt they were headed in the right direction overall, so all the zaniness perplexes me.

Old February 12th, 2014, 02:16 PM

I guess that, in the mind of Haslam, he had two options. Inch forward in the right direction with the current administration, or take a big time risk by firing them and hope it propels the team to quicker success. I completely agree the timing makes no sense, and Haslam won't try to tell you anything different, but the guy's gotta do what he thinks is best.

Helm's Deep
My Maps
Embracing the Fun

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV