Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old December 29th, 2006, 01:55 AM

Quicksilver62160 has disabled reputation
Special Abilities

I just got the whole Heroscape Setup on Christmas and I've been playing it but I'm not 100% on the special attacks. I know this is a stupid question but I didn't see it anywhere in the search so I figured I'd ask anyway.

Basically, can a unit use a Special Attack and then Attack or is it limited to only a special attack. Also, can they use the attack each round if they are one of the choosen to move that turn.

Also, these attacks can only be used once per round I'm sure. But what about moves like Sergent Alexander's Grapling Hook. He can use that as many times as he needs to I'm sure.

Well, thanks for any help.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:09 AM

cryptoknight has disabled reputation
I could be wrong... I also got HS for xmas but...

On page 14. "Special Powers and special attacks: Many figures have special powers or abilities that help them move, attack, defend, and more. Check your figure's Army Card to see what special powers or abilities (if any) your figure can use. If your Army Card includes a special attack, you may use this attack instead of attacking normally.

Sgt Drake's Grappling hook states that it replaces his move, but yes... he can reuse it.

Come to Anime Central 2007. http://www.acen.org
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Sev_ has disabled reputation
Welcome to the site Quicksilver.

You can use your Special Attack in place of a regular attack, you cannot follow up with an attack after using a Special Attack and vice versa.

There are up to 3 "phases" during your turn. They are as follows:
Move, Special Power, and/or Special Attack/Attack

Here's a good example of Grimnak for instance, he can MOVE, use his Special Power and then Attack normally (he does not have any sort of Special Attack, but if he did, he could have used that Special Attack instead of using a normal attack):

Old December 29th, 2006, 08:44 AM

dutchman681 has disabled reputation
The family and I have been playing for a few months and are finaly moving into the advanced game. I just want to make sure I understand the whole "special attack" thing.

In the Grimnak example above, his "chomp" is NOT considered a special attack because the card does not state "special attack." Had the wording been "Chomp special attack" than it would be and hence replace his regular attack, correct?

Which brings me to another question. I understand that special attacks are never modified (hight, glyph, ect...) but since chomp is not a special attack, can it, and others like it, be modified?

All this and a paycheck too???
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
dutchman681, the Chomp Special Ability can't be modified by height or such, since it does not involve any attack or defense dice rolls. But you are exactly right that there is a vital distinction between Special Attack and Special Ability, and only those specifically labeled "Special Attack" can replace the regular attack, while special abilities can be used along with regular or normal attacks.
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Loves This Site!

ZODGILLA! Woo who?
Chomp can be modified by the luck glyph, +1 to twenty sider rolls.

ZODGILLA!
Not bad monster.
(Ten foot tall and bulletproof.)
Old December 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Harbinger of Aquilla

teekay has disabled reputation
Welcome to the site!

Always read the wording on the cards carefully. Many cards include timing of abilities and special attack, such as "...after moving and before attacking..."
Other units give you a few attack options. In the case of Deadeye Dan

Quote:
Ullar Enhanced Rifle Special Attack
Range 10. Attack 1.
Choose a non-adjacent small or medium figure to attack. The chosen figure cannot roll defense dice when attacked by Deadeye Dan's Ulllar Enhanced Rifle Special Attack. Deadeye Dan may not use this special attack if he moved this turn.

Sharpshooter
Instead of attacking, you may choose any non-adjacent figure within 10 clear sight spaces of Deadeye Dan. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 19 or 20, the chosen figure is destroyed. If you roll a 1-18, you missed. Deadeye Dan may not use this special power if he moved this turn.
1. You can make a regular normal attack (with added die height bonus)
2. Ullar Enhanced Rifle Special Attack (no height bonus because it has "Special Attack" in the name) and can only be used if he didn't move that turn.
or
3. Sharpshooter (even though this is not labeled a Special Attack, because it has you rolling a d20 instead of normal attack dice, you don't get height bonus.) again, you can use this if Dan did not move that turn.

Sharpshooter is similar to Grimnak's auto-kill, but gives you range of 10 and requires a die roll. Unlike Grimnak, you don't get to make an additional normal attack.

Certain figures are immune to normal ranged attacks so having options on a card really helps.

Hope I didn't just confuse things.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev_
There are up to 3 "phases" during your turn. They are as follows:
Move, Special Power, and/or Special Attack/Attack
Thats not entirely true. There are special powers that take place at other points in time than just after moving.

The actually "rulebook" phases of the turn are:
1. Reveal Order Marker
2. Move
3. Attack

There are special abilities that take place between/after each phase, such as before moving, after moving and before attacking, after attacking, at the end of the turn.
Old January 13th, 2007, 04:56 AM

tbird3190 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
So can you only use a SPECIAL ATTACK only once per game? Or can u use it repeadiatly?

Like can U use Major Q9's Gun attack in place of his normal attack every turn?
Old January 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM

Sev_ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird3190
So can you only use a SPECIAL ATTACK only once per game? Or can u use it repeadiatly?

Seriously...Are you reading the rules? It says you may use a special attacking instead of a normal attack. There is no limit to how many times you can use your special attack. UNLESS it states to on the card, like Morsbanes Rod of Negation, which really isn't a special attack...But that should give you an idea.
Old January 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:

Seriously...Are you reading the rules? It says you may use a special attacking instead of a normal attack. There is no limit to how many times you can use your special attack. UNLESS it states to on the card, like Morsbanes Rod of Negation, which really isn't a special attack...But that should give you an idea.
But why bother reading the rules when you can just come ask here /sarcasm
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier
Quote:
Quote:

But why bother reading the rules when you can just come ask here /sarcasm
Is your post "dripping" in sarcasm?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's