Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old April 21st, 2007, 12:10 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Zombies of Morindan

The Book of Zombies of Morindan

Dawn of Darkness - Collection 6 - Zombie Horde

Character Bio: "Eck tel le sendar, ret kal len condaaaaar!" An evil incantation resonates through the caverns of Morindan. The flickering flame of a hanging lantern throws eerie shadows dancing against the damp stone walls. A frail old shaman, bearing a cloak of dark and tattered feathers, chants in a wraithlike voice. His eyes flutter in the back of his head as he sprinkles the inanimate body laid at his feet with a crimson fluid. Perched in a barren tree outside the cavern¹s entrance is an aged raven. He cocks his head inquisitively as the peculiar speech of the shaman echoes from the cave¹s opening. Then a new sound is heard: the raven releases a frightened croak as it leaps into the air. An empty moan rings out through the barren valley of Morindan, a foreboding sound, a black prophecy of impending doom. The dead live again! (Hasbro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by special powers
HORDE MOVEMENT
You may move up to 6 Zombies of Morindan that you control each turn. However, you may attack with only 3 Zombies of Morindan. You may attack with any 3 Zombies of Morindan, even Zombies of Morindan that you did not move this turn.

ZOMBIE ONSLAUGHT SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 6.
Three Zombies of Morindan on the same level may combine their attacks and roll their attack dice as one attack. All Zombies of Morindan in the attack must be engaged to the targeted figure.

ZOMBIES RISE AGAIN
If a Zombie of Moridan that you control destroys an opponent’s small or medium figure, replace that figure immediately, if possible, with one of your own previously destroyed Zombies of Morindan. Newly placed Zombies of Morindan cannot attack this turn. Undead are not affected by Zombies Rise Again.
-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - N/A

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - N/A

C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Strategy Notes:
  • - When using the Zombies, you have to think about moving & attacking in a new way- in a “horde” mindset. With the Zombies, you aren’t bound by normal movement rules. If you have a few Zombies locked in melee combat, you can move 6 other Zombies up for back-ups in case the engaged Zombies are destroyed, while still attacking with the engaged Zombies. However, unless you are going to use the Zombies you moved in an attack either this turn, or next turn (getting them ready for the Onslaught Special Attack), keep them out of melee combat, so you can lose as little Zombies as possible. This ability helps them to offset their base move of 4. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Also new to the Zombie squad (and something you may see in the near future again) is the ability to bring a destroyed figure back into the battle without the use of the glyph of Sturla (revive). Whenever a Zombie destroys an opponent’s small or medium figure, you can bring one of your other Zombies that was previously destroyed back into the battle. That’s right! When you lose Zombies, it’s not the end! It’s only the beginning of the FUN! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been down to just a few Zombies and rolled some really lucky attack rolls. Suddenly, I was a threat to my opponents again! Just remember to draft as many Zombies as possible. When they start to fall, you’ll want backup Zombies ready to bring them back! (Hasbro FAQ)

Who else could I draft with the Zombies of Morindan?
  • - Morsbane
    Think about it. Your ranged figures can’t fire into the Nakita Agent’s smoke powder because your opponent is rolling his d20 particularly well today. And each time you try and move a Zombie adjacent to an Agent, Engagement Strike destroys the Zombie! What is a player to do?! Bring in Morsbane! Hopefully, after only a few attempts, you can negate the Nakita Agent’s special powers (or any strong Unique Squad figures for that matter) and make them just a plain old expensive snack for the Zombies to destroy & use Zombies Rise Again to beef up their numbers! (Hasbro FAQ)

- Deathwalker 8000
    Deathwalker 8000 is a fun addition to any Zombie army! Keep him back while the Zombies advance and fire on any particularly strong Heroes that are in the way. Keep firing with his Rapid Fire Special Attack until the Hero is down to 1-2 life. Then leave the Hero alone until the Zombies can catch up to it and destroy it in order to use Zombies Rise Again. It’s always fun to see an opponent’s figure running away from a horde of Zombies. (Hasbro FAQ)

- Dünd
    Hmm. I was going to add Agent Carr to the mix here, but Dund is a better addition to a Zombie army. I don’t see Dund used often, so I’ll have to write a tip sheet on him soon. He’s a LOT of fun to play with especially against a bonding army, or an opponent that relies on one character at a time. But more on Dund later on his tip sheet. Move Dund up along with the Zombies for support. During the first turn of each round, attempt to use Crippling Gaze on any opponent’s small or medium figures that are near the Zombies. By removing the order markers on those figures, you have given the Zombies a few free turns to destroy a helpless opponent. Very Zombie-like! (Hasbro FAQ)

Who do the Zombies of Morindan work well against?
  • - Blade Gruts / Arrow Gruts

Armies that bond are tough to take down quickly. The Beast & Orc Champion bonding armies are probably the toughest ones we have revealed so far. In order to quell the onslaught of these bonded armies, you have to stop the source of the bond, which is the squads that call their larger Heroes. Normally, the bonded Heroes will target the stronger of your army, with the Squads taking up the rear. If you can get some of your Zombies past the Hero, take the Squad figures on in melee combat. Not only will you be able to bring back any Zombies that you have lost when you destroy those squad figures, you will also cripple your opponent’s army. *Don’t forget! When you destroy the last figure on an Army card that bonds with another figure and it still has order markers on it, your opponent can’t take those turns that the order markers denote. That INCLUDES taking the free turn with the bonded Hero! (Hasbro FAQ)

- Rise of the Valkyrie’s Sgt. Drake Alexander
    That’s right, Sgt. Drake Alexander has a nemesis. And his nemesis likes brains! Because of Drake’s Thorian Speed, you have to get adjacent to him in order to attack him. By using the Zombie’s Onslaught Special Attack, you can quickly reduce Drake’s life and help your previously destroyed Zombies Rise Again! (Hasbro FAQ)

Power Ranking
Zombies of Morindan- Still an enigma as to their value, Zombies can certainly crush or be crushed by an opponent. B

Master Index
Pre-release Speculation
General Assessment
Belong in Heroscape?
Counters
Belong in Heroscape? (2)
Placement at the beginning of the game?
Hit zone
Onslaught and Zombies Rise Again
Horde Movement Clarified
Any good?
Horde Movement Clarified (2)
Scoring on Zombies
What Happens to Zombified Units?
Vs. Counterstrike
How Many?
Sculpt Poll

Unit Strategy Review
Unit Strategy Review: Zombies of Morindan

Last edited by Rÿchean; April 11th, 2015 at 01:46 PM. Reason: VC custom synergy added
Old April 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Garet Jaxx is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I have found 2 armies that destroy zombies.

-Orcs- I disagree. I sent up 2 heavy grut squads, Ornak, Tornak, And Nerak. I don't use the archers, they are worthless. Anyway, with all the attack bonus (Tornak and Ornak) plus the defensive bonus (Nerak) They are quite a match for zombies. (Taelord is optional)

-Samurai- Counter attack will quickly remove any unlucky zombies. Not to mention the ranged samurai destroy them before they are in can even get close. (move of 4)

P.S. I hate zombies. Sorry guys.

Garet Jaxx's Home, the official Heroscape Storage Site.
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:55 AM

TheEvilPenguin has disabled reputation
These zombies are really surprisingly good every single time I see them played. I think that the addition of DW8K is fantastic for them, and makes them that much more unstoppable. As said before, there is no feeling like watching the enemy truly just running for cover like maniacs. I always recruit at least three groups, because you can never have enough. Use some as meat shields, and use others to bring them back. It's too easy sometimes!

Another good matchup with these guys is Finn. Give them height and Finn, and you have 2 more dice, which is actually six more dice for your attack! These zombies can become so unstoppably powerful sometimes that people will avoid them more than everything else you have. And at 60 points, you're getting the best end of that deal.

TheEvilPenguin is the Krav...
in the MAROON CAVE...
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:49 AM

Siran Dunmorgan has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilPenguin
These zombies are really surprisingly good every single time I see them played. I think that the addition of DW8K is fantastic for them, and makes them that much more unstoppable. As said before, there is no feeling like watching the enemy truly just running for cover like maniacs. I always recruit at least three groups, because you can never have enough. Use some as meat shields, and use others to bring them back. It's too easy sometimes!

Another good matchup with these guys is Finn. Give them height and Finn, and you have 2 more dice, which is actually six more dice for your attack! These zombies can become so unstoppably powerful sometimes that people will avoid them more than everything else you have. And at 60 points, you're getting the best end of that deal.
As I read the various rules, most especially Finn's army card, it looks as if Attack Aura 1 only applies to normal attacks. Since Onslaught is a Special Attack, Finn's Attack Aura 1 doesn't apply.

Also, per the Hasbro official FAQ, height advantage doesn't apply to Special Attacks either.

Sorry. I make mistakes like that—e.g., applying height advantage to Special Attacks—quite a lot myself.

If Attack Aura 1 and height advantage and attack +1 glyphs did apply to Special Attacks though... whew! Nine extra dice, for a total of fifteen attack dice? Everyone would be pointing to Zombies as the broken unit in the game.

As it stands, they're pretty decent. Just... not game-breakingly spectacular.

—SD

Hic est qui sumus
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:15 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siran Dunmorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilPenguin

As I read the various rules, most especially Finn's army card, it looks as if Attack Aura 1 only applies to normal attacks. Since Onslaught is a Special Attack, Finn's Attack Aura 1 doesn't apply.

Also, per the Hasbro official FAQ, height advantage doesn't apply to Special Attacks either.

Sorry. I make mistakes like that—e.g., applying height advantage to Special Attacks—quite a lot myself.

If Attack Aura 1 and height advantage and attack +1 glyphs did apply to Special Attacks though... whew! Nine extra dice, for a total of fifteen attack dice? Everyone would be pointing to Zombies as the broken unit in the game.

As it stands, they're pretty decent. Just... not game-breakingly spectacular.

—SD
Umm, I'm pretty sure he was talking about +2 attack each for 3 zombies' normal attacks which totals +6.

I've had a lot of fun testing the zombies recently and can't wait to try them competitively.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jaxx
I have found 2 armies that destroy zombies.

-Orcs- I disagree. I sent up 2 heavy grut squads, Ornak, Tornak, And Nerak. I don't use the archers, they are worthless. Anyway, with all the attack bonus (Tornak and Ornak) plus the defensive bonus (Nerak) They are quite a match for zombies. (Taelord is optional)

-Samurai- Counter attack will quickly remove any unlucky zombies. Not to mention the ranged samurai destroy them before they are in can even get close. (move of 4)

P.S. I hate zombies. Sorry guys.
I would not rely on anything in the medium-size range to take down zombies as they can be used to recycle the zombies. Also, the best you can hope for is an "adequate" defense from your orcs under the best of circumstances and to pick off a few zombies before they swarm and kill your orcs. I lost a squad of Knights and a squad of MacDirk Warriors to 2 squads of zombies with height advantage. I doubt Orcs would do much better.

As to the Samurai, all it takes is a few only slightly lucky rolls to eat your samurai...and thus reanimate more zombies (medium sized). Also the archers can kill many zombies at range, but once closed in on can be eaten and converted to zombiedom. LET'S ALSO NOT OVERLOOK THE Z'S ABILITY TO COMBINE ATTACK FOR A 6 ATTACK IN ONE ACTION.

If you want a serious counter, you should look at Nilfheim, Braxas, Q9 or other squad killers from the above-medium category. Coincidentally these same figures beat the snot out of most other squads too, they just also happen to negate the reanimation-based ability.

My last game, I used Q9 to eat zombies very quickly. I have learned to fear them.

Adam

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:10 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel

As to the Samurai, all it takes is a few only slightly lucky rolls to eat your samurai...and thus reanimate more zombies (medium sized). Also the archers can kill many zombies at range, but once closed in on can be eaten and converted to zombiedom. LET'S ALSO NOT OVERLOOK THE Z'S ABILITY TO COMBINE ATTACK FOR A 6 ATTACK IN ONE ACTION.
Not to mention the fact that the Samurai can't Counterstrike the Zombie Onslaught because its a special attack.
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Garet Jaxx is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
One thing I implied with the archer samurai was to stay out of the zombies range. Sure you could get cornered, but that would be you our fault. It is all about strategery. Counter strike would only be good for one on one, I do admit that.

The orcs worked with me. There was a river and I placed the orcs (heavy) on the bridge and forced the zombies into a confined area. They ended up with a total attack of 5 (3 (original) + 1 (height) + 1 (tornak)) and a defense of 6 (3 (original) + 1 (height) + 1(tornak) + 1(nerak))

Regardless, I find Jotun (wild swing) i quite efficient as well as range characters.

Garet Jaxx's Home, the official Heroscape Storage Site.
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:38 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
If your gonna use Zombies, use 3 squads at least! 1 or 2 squads is gonna do nothing!!! Zombies are easy to take down with range since they're slow. Use them as the last wave, or whenever all or most range is gone or tied up. Also, when I've faced them, no one kills them better than KMA. With a move of 6, they can get away quickly and with 7 range, you can pick them off fast and easy. All you have to do is shoot and when they get close, back away and shoot some more! And with an attack of 3, the odds are in your favor to kill one for each attack(Especially with 4 if you have height).

Old May 1st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
I've only played against the zombies once.

1) I learned that the knights aren't a good idea -- yes, they would kill a zombie or two, but then the zombies would be right back after killing a knight or two. I ran out of knights and the zombies were still there.

2) 4th Mass line worked wonders -- I was able to get height advantage and the wait and then fire. With the zombies slow movement and the 4 attacks of 4 each, I was able to pick them off before they could get close enough to attack.

I had also used Sir Gilbert to help get the 4th Mass in place - basically the first few rounds all the order markers were on the knights. a) human champion bond with Sir Gilbert, b) Sir Gilbert moves the 4th Mass, c) move and attack with Knights. Did this until I started running out of knights, by then the 4th Mass was on high ground and within range of the zombies.
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
I have never played the zombies, but from a stat/ability point of view, here are some of the figures I would consider to be anti-zombie:

Charos: He has high attack, so most of the time he will kill the zombie he attacks; he has highdefence+Counterstrike, so basically all zombies other than those who manage to close in and use their swarm attack will die; and he is large, so he will not be zombified in the case that he does fall.

Deadeyedan: 10 range, so the zombies will take at the least 3 turns to get to him; and he has a 50% chance to instantly kill them.

Syvarris: 9 range+Double Attack=A lot of dead zombies by the time they reach him(if they reach him at all).

Other long Ranged Figures(7+range): For obvious reasons.

Jotun, DW9k, or any other figure with an "AOE" attack: Zombies swarm, AOE attacks take out swarms quickly.

Grimnak: He has Chomp to instantly kill one zombie per turn, plus he has a decent amount of defence and is large.

Warriors of Ashara: Provided they don't get caught in a Swarm attack, they usually wil not be affected by a Zombie's attack, plus they have enough attack to take out zombies at a good rate.

I think there's another unit that you can consider good to add to a Zombie Horde:

Shades of Bleakewood: They are fast and strike fear into the Powerful Unique heroes that kill the zombies easily. Place them throughout your advancing horde and your opponent will be afraid to approach, and they have high speed, so they can go on ahead of the horde and take out your opponent's ranged figures.

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:44 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Worth noting that Zombies Rise Again is useless against Sudema, Shades, or other Zombies. Some possible strategies could rise out of that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units