Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old March 27th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Killometer's maps ~ Relic added 3/27/11 *two editions*

The inspiration for Relic originated with the idea of a map plastered with Glyphs of Oreld (Intercept Orders), and the decisions that that many of them would force regarding when to use them-early to try an knock your opponent off their game, midgame when most OMs are clustered on fewer units, or late, to try to help finish them off.

Because the Glyphs are the focus of this map, and not the terrain used, I decided to try to work with sets that are currently easily available. I knew that I wanted to use road tiles, and I haven't done much work with the Castle, so I decided to use that, and I thought that the LoS blockers that BftU provides would be helpful and aesthetic, but I knew that wouldn't be enough tiles, so I upped it to BftU x2.

Quote:
Relic scenario edition added 3/27/11
requires 2 BftU, 1 FotA, 8 fixed power glyphs and 2 semi-random power glyphs
Special rules included in the build instructions

The special rules for the scenario edition are that players may only claim one glyph per OM, and the semi-random glyphs are selected from a pool of +1 attack, +1 defense, and Pit Trap, so if you claim one you might get something awesome, or you might get the booby prize. I specifically placed several of the Orelds in key traffic lanes, to add more consideration about when to claim which glyphs.

Quote:
Relic tournament edition added 3/27/11
requires 2 BftU, 1 FotA, supports 2 random power glyphs and 2 random treasure glyphs
Burrowing Arrow trap included in the build instructions

I like the appearence of this map so much (it makes me think of the ruins of a shattered keep built atop a stony island rising from a lake deep inside a cavern) that I decided to provide a version with more traditional glyph usage for general play. Burrowing Arrow is the trap I developed for Valley War I, and I like it a lot, so I'm recycling it here.
Quote:
Burrowing Arrow
An enchanted arrow fired from a hidden shaft strikes you, magically digging itself deeper long after its momentum should have been spent.
*This trap require a Valkyrie General die or a white dual-purpose attack/defense die.*
Roll a die. If it is a skull the target takes a wound and roll another die, if it is a symbol or blank roll another die, if it is a shield stop. If the second die roll is a skull the target takes a wound and roll another die, if it is a symbol roll another die, if it is a shield stop. If the third die roll is a skull the target takes a wound.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Killometer's maps ~ Dance Steppes added 5/3/11

Dance Steppes
requires 1 RotV, 1 FotA, supports 2 random treasure glyphs (represented by Glyphs of Brandar)
designed for R˙chean's GenCon '11 map contest

This map started conceptually with the road arranged in more of a crooked "Z" pattern, running from one start zone, up a hill (the more distant right hill, from the player's perspective), across the map to the other hill, then back down to the other start zone, but multiple redesigns and refinements led to the current, more Badru Valley-esque design.

The battlements are placed to force armies to wind up the nearby hill if the want to establish their position their, and the broad road across the center of the map allows an army to quickly swoop from one hill to the next, to prevent anyone from becoming to entrenched on either high point. The start zones are clearly defined by the use of sand and rock.

Last edited by Killometer; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Killometer, that map is horrible and you should not submit it to R˙chean's contest.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: going to copy & paste this post for use over the next couple of weeks...
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Killometer, that map is horrible and you should not submit it to R˙chean's contest.

Last edited by Killometer; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: too late :p
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Grrr.

Well, in that case, it looks great.

= =
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM

Well, in that case, thanks.

And don't worry, since we're allowed to enter two maps you'll have another chance to tell me how horrible my efforts are.

Last edited by Killometer; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: My second entry is a bit more experimental. I'm interested to see how it's received...
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Your second one *is* horrible, Killometer, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

"Dance Steppe." Love the name.

The map looks good. Does the asymmetry of the ruin create a problem? I can't tell.

= =
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM

I am ashamed. :hangshead: (But only for the pun of this map's name, not for my next map )

The slight asymetry from the ruin wasn't really a problem in my testing. The sand side gets a little more LoS protection, but it looses a little in the way of mobility, so it pretty well balances itself.

Last edited by Killometer; May 3rd, 2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Minor spoiler: my other entry is called "Erosion"
Old May 11th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Erosion is my second entry for R˙chean's GenCon '11 map contest.

It requires 1 RotV and 1 FotA, and supports a fixed Glyph of Astrid (in the foreground) and 2 random treasure glyphs (betwen the ruins and in the background).

With this map I wanted to push the limits of what amount of asymetry might be well-received in a tournament setting. As hodge-podge as this map looks, it actually went through much more refining and testing than my first entry, Dance Steppes, received. I specifically designed it to have more of a "natural" appearance than a more symetrical map would have, but I made sure to maintain a balance of mobility, cover, and access to key features for both sides. The Glyph of Astrid forces a lot of resources to be dedicated to the lower level of the map where it otherwise didn't see much action, thanks to the road running across the upper levels. And yes, I'm aware of the level 5 Raelin perches six spaces from each start zone.

The build instructions (and the version that I'm submitting to the contest) have contiguous start zones, with 3 hexes on the road, but Erosion is also balanced for play using the exposed level 1 rock and sand as start zones.

Last edited by Killometer; May 11th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM

personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby! personwholives rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Killometer's maps ~ Erosion added 5/11/11

Erosion looks like a lot of fun. I've been liking the map designs I've seen with the small, detached extra start zone areas. I also like the non-symmetry of it. It seems like a lot of people build these very symmetrical maps, because they're good for play, when we all know that, for the most part, real terrain is anything but symmetrical. That seems like it would be exactly like any key hill in a battlefield, misshapen a bit, with an old road that curves around the water as needed. It just looks organic. I might have to build this map and try it out. You could bring it to the third saturday meetup this month, if you're coming. I'd love to try it out.

TL;DR: I put a lot of thought into my posts. Please read them before responding, even if they seem long. I try to make my posts useful and worth the time.

Like NERVs? Try my new app! - My customs
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personwholives View Post
Erosion looks like a lot of fun. I've been liking the map designs I've seen with the small, detached extra start zone areas.
Thanks. Since I built Relic I've like the idea of maps that can be played a more than one way. I decided to add the small challenge to this map of offering two balanced start zone configurations.
Quote:
I also like the non-symmetry of it. It seems like a lot of people build these very symmetrical maps, because they're good for play, when we all know that, for the most part, real terrain is anything but symmetrical. That seems like it would be exactly like any key hill in a battlefield, misshapen a bit, with an old road that curves around the water as needed. It just looks organic.
Symetrical maps are definitely easier to keep balanced, but I am a big fan of this sort of mock asyemtry-superficially this map looks fairly asymetric, but in reality both sides play almost identically. Achieving that is a challenge that I enjoy. Plus these types of maps just plain look cool, imo.
Quote:
I might have to build this map and try it out. You could bring it to the third saturday meetup this month, if you're coming. I'd love to try it out.
I'd love to hear any feedback about it. If I was able to come to the gameday I would have definitely provided Erosion, but I have other plans that day. If it makes an appearence let me know how it's received.

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's a battle report on Erosion. I'm using it to test my tournament army (For Dad_Scaper's tournament on satruday) against the most common army there.

My army- WoA x7, Syvarris, Kyntela Gwyn (Sand starting zone)

C's (Friend) army- WoB x4, Werewolf lord, Kyntela. (Rock starting zone)

Round 1- C

1C- Bonding with the Werewolf lord. He m oves from the road in the starting zone to a higher point of road on Lv. 3. Wolves move, one towards the glyph.
1R- WoA move, with 2 going on the road and 1 towards the glyph.
2C- Wolf gets glyph after the werewolf lord engages the WoA on road. One WoA falls to the WL.
2R- 2 WoA are engaged to the WL but fail to wound him. The WoA near the glyph clears off the wolf.
3C- A WoA dodges the Werewolf lord, who rolled 3 to my 1 shield. WoA are fricking frustrating However, the WoA don't have an advantage to pounce, so one falls. Another wolf gets next to the glyph.
3R- WoA take the glyph, and the WoA in the action fails to wound.

At this time, the wolves control the road leading to the sand starting zone. The WL is perched on the road's turn on lv 4 (adjacent to the water tile and by the large ruin).

Round 2- Robber

1R- Wound on Werewolf lord.
1C- The WL and 2 wolves fail. The last brings down the pesky WoA engaged to the WL.
2R- A wolf is killed by a filler WoA.
2C- The WL kills an ashra, and a wolf dies to pounce.
3R- The Wl is re-engaged by a close WoA, and another approaches. C takes a big hit as 2 wolves die and the WL takes 2 wounds (3 total)
3C- Wolves re-organize. One engages, but fails to wound. Prior, the Wl fails to wound.

15 WoA are left, with Syvarris, Kyntela, and Isamu going against 7 wolves, a 3-life WL, and kyntela.

Round 3- Robber

1R- The Wl is engaged, and takes a wound each from both surrounding WoA. Total 5 wounds. The wolf is safe.
1C- The Wl kills one engaged WoA. The other engaged WoA is killed but a second blocks pounce for a wolf casualty.
2R- The one engaged wolf blocks the WoA. 2 more approach the Wl and his 1-wolf posse.
2C- The Wl goes lower on the road to engage 2 WoA. They block. The posse wolf pounces, but gets rejected by 3 cold, hard shields.
3R- The Werewolf Lord falls, and so does the wolf threatening the glyph (finally! Took 2 rounds!)
3C- A WoA falls to pounce, with the wolves avenging their glyph-attacking brother.

There are 4 wolves left, along with Kyntela. I have 13 WoA along with the assorted unused heroes.

Round 4- Robber (I rolled a 2, he rolled a 1! Talk about rubbing salt in the wound )

To be continued- my laptop's dying...

Edit- and the rest of it...

1R- I move up three WoA from the starting zone, abandoning the ones on road. My main priority is to protect the glyph.
1C- and sure enough, the 2 WoB near the glyph surround my WoA. They attack, but I live. Should've pounced
2R- I engage the 2 wolves with 3 mad WoA. One kills a wolf, but the other 2 miss.
2C- The last wolf in the area attacks and kills the glyph-holder. The other two move to a farther point on the road, but can't reach my WoA on the other side.
3R- I engage the 2 wolves on road, but don't kill any. I kill the last wolf by the glyph, and have a stronghold of 3 WoA there, daring kyntela to fight them
3C- The wolves pounce for the extra attack. There's an exchange as one suceeds. This leaves one WoA and one WoB in the area.

There is a small "front" made of a WoA and WoB on the road area where the Wl once was. 3 WoA are by the glyphs, with the rest of my figures in my starting zone. Kyntela stands in C's starting zone.

Round 5- C ("FINALLY!!!" :Victory Dance: )

1C- The wolf pounces... and dies. ("Grumble Grump Moan Groan Order markers Groan Mope...")
1R- I have 2 of my WoA by the glyph move towards kyntela (the other is on the glyph and stays) and have the WoA on the road advance.
2C- Dead OM ("Grumble Mumble Groan")
2R- I engage the enemy Kyntela and kill her for the win!

I love the map and look forward to playing more games on it. I hope the report helped... (Yeah, it probably didn't. You played enough games on it for playtesting. Just have to say- awesome battlement placement.

Last edited by Robber; May 19th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios