Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 7th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Filthy's Maps - Updated 2010-10-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
It looks really good Filthy. Are you submitting to R˙chean's contest?

~Rednax
Thanks! Yes, I plan on submitting it, after I work out the kinks. Version 3:

1. I removed the ruins from each start zone, as they did not fit quite right, in addition to limiting initial movement options.
  2. I added a central column to break up the monotony of the arena and add an obstacle to the initial 'face-off.' Most 2 hex figures can still fit in the arena, although some of the larger dragons will need to fight for wiggle room.
  3. I added a one hex rock to the specified location on each side of the arena. This keeps large flying creatures from establishing an immediate perch, as well as added a slight roadblock for fast moving, non-flying figures (the flipside: it also gives some potential height).
  4. Change the direction of the left-side roads for each start zone. They now direct flow to the center of the map, as well as provide a few more initial movement options. I also added an extra battlement to the arena entrance.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:38 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Filthy's Maps - Updated 2011-05-14

Dear Mr. Clown,
I thought you had a couple good entries. 2 man enter was a very inspired concept. I liked the idea of that central paved "rumble pit." Some other maps came up with similar concepts but yours was the only one that included the start zones inside.

I liked how your map thread chronicled the development of the idea, too. Looking back, I think I liked version 2 best. I think the ruins on the left side of the map was a good way to reduce sight lines across the whole expanse of the map. I also think that I liked it better when the column wasn't in the middle of the "rumble pit." I have concerns about the stability of it, but 1 measly column doesn't really reduce visibility for range by that much. While I enjoy the novelty of the "mano a mano" start zone I'm not sure it adds much. I think that in practicality the opponent would either not use it or use it to simply send an expendable unit to choke up the opponent's start zone while consolidating power in the center. Perhaps it rewards initiative too much.

If there's any one flaw in the map, I think you're over battlement-ed. You've included battlements in many places where I think they are actually a detriment. Battlements severely slow movement but have little/no effect on ranged units. As a result the battlements in your map exacerbate the problem of chokepoints needlessly. I think you would have been better off to have fewer, or in different areas. Your placement of roads, though was spot-on. There were great avenues to truck melee units into the heat of the action. Good work!

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades

Last edited by LilMoochie; May 22nd, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM

The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker The Champion of Weston knows what's in an order marker

I think that the location of the battlements was to make sure it wasn't a battle of range. At least with their positions keep it to a battle that spans some range and some melee. I like the map and I persoanally woudn't change a thing, but that's just my opinion.

The Champion of Weston is Sir Denrick...
in the DIAMOND CAVE...
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
I think the ruins on the left side of the map was a good way to reduce sight lines across the whole expanse of the map.
First off, many thanks for the feedback (I would rep you, but my rep gun needs to be shot a few other directions first before I point the business end back at ya ).

As for the ruins: I removed them because the larger ruin did not quite fit by the start zones; I guess it was more of a personal thing, but I want to revisit this, as they do add a little more shielding in a start zone that could potentially be targeted from the center platform early in a match.

Quote:
I also think that I liked it better when the column wasn't in the middle of the "rumble pit." I have concerns about the stability of it, but 1 measly column doesn't really reduce visibility for range by that much. While I enjoy the novelty of the "mano a mano" start zone I'm not sure it adds much. I think that in practicality the opponent would either not use it or use it to simply send an expendable unit to choke up the opponent's start zone while consolidating power in the center. Perhaps it rewards initiative too much.
I know what you mean about version 2. I really liked it, but I felt the central column gave a little more incentive to NOT initially engage any centrally located figure, if you did not want to (something about out of sight, out of mind...). In testing, the middle column also means that figures will have to cross one of the 2, non-road start zone tiles in the center of the map, which helps to slow things down a bit and cause a little more confusion in the middle. In hindsight, the column is not really needed, as it does create some limitations for HUGE figures.

Quote:
If there's any one flaw in the map, I think you're over battlement-ed. You've included battlements in many places where I think they are actually a detriment. Battlements severely slow movement but have little/no effect on ranged units. As a result the battlements in your map exacerbate the problem of choke points needlessly. I think you would have been better off to have fewer, or in different areas. Your placement of roads, though was spot-on. There were great avenues to truck melee units into the heat of the action. Good work!
The point of the battlements is to channel more units to the center (although other units can certainly bypass the center and move around on the outskirts). I also felt that the extra battlements are aesthetically pleasing, as they round out the open corners, although this does not help the map. In testing, melee units could easily get to ranged units on the center platforms, as the battlements can be jumped with a movement of 4 or 5 (sorry, Repulsors).

That being said, I have some changes to add to the map to make the center a bit more accessible while still allowing for alternate routes. I will playtest these changes and then post up a new version.

Quote:
Dear Mr. Clown
Thanks again for the feedback, and please...Call me Filthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champion of Weston View Post
I think that the location of the battlements was to make sure it wasn't a battle of range. At least with their positions keep it to a battle that spans some range and some melee. I like the map and I personally woudn't change a thing, but that's just my opinion.
The smaller map signature tends to help out melee as well, at least in my testing. Although, I do agree now that there are probably too many battlements, especially around the center arena. I have a few ideas on how to open this up a bit, while still retaining the original feel that I was shooting for. Thanks for the feedback!
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I can grab 4 rats and block off the whole entire map... Wow.

I think that there are way too many choke points, being the two entrances to the center "arena" and the two areas toward the sides. A figure can stand in one of those points and severely block off a large portion of the map. I'd edit it to include less battlements, in support of LilMoochie.
Old January 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM

Re: Filthy's Maps - Updated 2012-01-28

My latest creation, submitted to Typhon2222's 1 BFTU map contest:

Last edited by Filthy the Clown; February 17th, 2013 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Updated broken image link.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios