Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM

regdar has disabled reputation
wisdom teeth removal advice?

How bad is it I go in this friday to get them removed luckly they are
putting me completly under .But how bad were your guys experiences
maybe they will put me at ease .and any advice you can spare will be
helpful

thanks
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
You should have opted for oral anesthesia. It is cheaper and alot more fun. Bust part is, you are not nearly as incapacitated afterwards, you have a great time at first when the drug is starting to take affect, and no I.V.!! You won't even remember a thing about the proceedure.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:01 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I just had all 4 Wisdom teeth removed in January. I was real nervous going in. They put the IV in and told me it should take a minute to kick in. Those were the last words I heard and I was awoke probably about 30 minutes later . I didn't feel anything. Be warned, if you get doped up, you might say some things that you probably won't remember. I told the doctor I owned a night club I guess. I have no idea where that came from, but I guess it could have been worse.

It's pretty tough to drink anything for like the first 8 hours after the extraction because your bottom jaw, tongue, and lips will probably be numb. So expect to spill lots of drinks. Keep hydrated and DON'T forget to rinse with warm salt water after the first day, but your doc will tell you all about that.

Overall, it wasn't bad at all. I didn't have any pain the next day and my mouth healed in about 7 days fully. Just don't forget to drink lots of liquids and watch out for dry socket.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM

HVJ17 has disabled reputation
This is a scam, don't do it unless you are in a life or death situation. Dentists use wisdom teeth to pay the bills and pay for vacation homes. Doctors use tonsils. You are being scammed.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:08 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Have you ever had the area around your Wisdom teeth infected? Has your mouth ever been in so much pain you couldn't eat or sleep because your Wisdom teeth are growing out the side of your gums?
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising
Have you ever had the area around your Wisdom teeth infected? Has your mouth ever been in so much pain you couldn't eat or sleep because your Wisdom teeth are growing out the side of your gums?
No, and what you are describing would be a life or death scenario. Dentists wanted to pull my teeth, my wifes teeth, and the teeth of everyone else I have ever known who has ever been to a dentist.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Miniature Geek is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVJ17
This is a scam, don't do it unless you are in a life or death situation. Dentists use wisdom teeth to pay the bills and pay for vacation homes. Doctors use tonsils. You are being scammed.
That's a load of crap don't listen to him. Sometimes Doctors and Dentist do what they do because (big surprise) it's best for you.

Don't worry too much about your teeth, if you have a good Dentist things will go fine. You'll be given everything you need to insure that you aren't in too much pain.

Your music's bad and you should feel bad.

My Customs

Better Posting and You Revisited.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:21 PM

blitz has disabled reputation
If you're out, 90% of the problems vanish. After that, it's just a matter of caution and patience.

Just don't eat anything flaky, crunchy, or with small fibers (like coconut) for about a week. Avoid chips like the plague! You definately don't want to to stab a half-healed gumhole with a dorito dagger.

Soup and pasta is your friend. On the plus side, gnawing on pasta feels really neat after the second day or so.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:36 PM

regdar, I have to guess, are you getting your teeth removed because they are impacted? Are they actually infected? If you are over the age of 21, forget the surgery if there is no infection. The majority of impaced wisdom teeth extractions involve healthy teeth, just impacted, and are there fore just a way to make money. Dentists in the US make more money than dentists in any other country from unnecessary procedures.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: wisdom teeth removal advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regdar
.and any advice you can spare will be
helpful

thanks
I had a lot of blood afterwards. That night I was drinking a chocolate milkshake and I could taste blood mixed with...chocolate. Blegh.

Quote:
I They put the IV in and told me it should take a minute to kick in. Those were the last words I heard and I was awoke probably about 30 minutes later.
They told me to count backwards from 10, I was gone by the time I reached '7'

Quote:
I told the doctor I owned a night club I guess. I have no idea where that came from, but I guess it could have been worse.

Too funny! I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled when I was in college. I remember my mother driving me home I was so out of it and recall trying to tell her the symbolic implications of some stoopid movie I had seen a week earlier. That one movie where Robert Redford pays Demi Moore (?) like a million dollars to spend the night with him....
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Marduk has disabled reputation
I will repeat the advice that you shouldn't do it if it isn't necessary. There may be a very low chance of a problem, but the problems that do occur are pretty bad. In some states, the dentists are required by law to inform you of the risks; there is a standard video involved.

And having any actual surgical procedure reduces your life expectancy. Possibly not compared to your life expectancy without it, as for example in many heart surgeries or operations to remove malignant tumors. But it is an excellent argument against any form of elective surgery.

Having said that, if there is some problem with your wisdom teeth, by all means have them dealt with. The teeth and gums are the foundation of human health. Not sure how that works, but many problems that start there end up causing all sorts of trouble.

Malpractice makes malperfect!
Ohio Valley Association of Heroscapers

Art by Susan Van Camp, Copyright 2006. www.artbysvc.com
Old March 14th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I had no problems when I had mine out. Having four empty sockets in my gums for a few weeks was both gross and weird. Otherwise, no problem.

Regarding the necessity of removing wisdom teeth: I had mine out for purely cosmetic reasons. They were growing in and pushing forward on my existing teeth, causing them to start to go crooked. I get the impression that most people have their wisdom teeth removed for this reason. Is that "necessary"? Well, it isn't life threatening, but most people I know don't want to look like they grew up in some part of England without fluoride in the water!

However, if your wisdom teeth have already grown in and you've experienced no problems so far I'd definitely get a second opinion before having them yanked.

Incidentally, the reason most people have their wisdom teeth out is because their jaws are too small to accomodate them. Our jaws are too small because our diet is too soft. Coarse, tough foods cause robust jaw muscles and bones to develop in response. Bone growth responds to muscle development (this is true of limb bones as well), so when you're raised on rough foods your jaw is big enough by the time you're 16 to hold another four teeth. People in the developing world don't have this problem. We who were raised on ground beef and twinkies, on the other hand...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General