Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM

Juniour is surprisingly tart
Best way to spend last 60 points

So when I'm playing games my core army often comes down to there being just 60 points left. Now I have to make a decision: Zetacron, 2 Wyrmlings, Me-Burq-Sa and Isamu, etc...

So I'm wondering, what do you feel is the best way to spend the last 60 points in an army?
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM

Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby! Shockma Ranyk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Best way to spend last 60 points

It depends what else you have. If you don't have much range, I'd go Zeta or MBS. If you don't have a screen, Deathreavers x1 or the Izumi are an option.
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:52 PM
Nostradumbass

DrAwsm is surprisingly tart

It all comes down to: What's going to round out my army?

Zetacron and Me-Burq-Sa are good for sitting on a perch and taking out stray units.

The Izumi can clean up with Counterstrike (I think), or they could hold a glyph.

A squad of Dethreavers and Marcu can hold glyphs for you, or Marcu can just play cleanup.

The Wyrmlings are fun, but they don't make good fillers IMO. They can, however, help get rid of your opponent's glyph holders.

Darrak Ambershard can be a pretty powerful melee force if he's attacking a figure that another of your figures is engaged with.

I haven't had enough time with Shiori, but she just seems too complicated to get the most out of her for me to want to use her.

You could always have a lone squad of Stingers.

And, of course, you could have Guilty McCreech, Marcu, and Isamu or Otonashi depending on your resources. Possibly the three best cleanup units for the low, low price of 60 points!
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:07 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

As others have said, it really depends on what's in your army, and what you need.

Do you already have a 50-60 Point common squad in your army? If so, the answer is probably another squad.

Are you playing Valiant 4th Mass? The answer is probably Sam Brown.

Do you need a hero killer? The answer is probably Zetacron.

Are you already playing Wyrmlings? The answer is probably Wyrmlings.

Are you playing Dwarves? The answer is probably Darrak.
Do you not fit into any of these? Then the answer is probably Marro Warriors + Isamu.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; December 1st, 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Actually, if you don't fit into any, the answer is probably "pick a different army"
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Deadeye Dan. I use him to kill Q9 in like 10 OM's all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

In 10 OM's? Thats a lot. You might as well use his one die attack.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

Excluding lone squads you could have for 60:
  • Darrak Ambershard - Can dish out 6 dice and dodge
  • Deadeye Dan - can instakill, especially squads, BEST RANGE!
  • Izumi Samurai - Tough with counterstrike, best for defense
  • Shiori - Versatile, but fragile
  • Zetacron - Can dish out wounds with a great range, but very fragile.
These are under 60:
  • Arkmer - Engagement strike, ranging at a good price
  • Brave Arrow - Isamu on steroids. But also 5 times more expensive...
  • Iskra Esenwein - Cheap flying unit. Can heal herself, but somewhat fragile. GREAT 4 GLYPHS!
  • Marro Warriors - Self-reviving and ranging marro
  • Me-Burq-Sa - Freezing, ranging, FAST - great for Romans
  • Nerak - Fast & Fragile, but great for Orcs
  • Tarns - Slow, semi-sturdy, but can speed up with good luck.
  • Sonya - Iskra -1 life... Better with Cyprien.. duh.
  • Theracus - Carry! He's good for strategy & glyphs... maybe even an attack or 2.
  • 2x of either Air or Water Elementals or Red White or Black Wyrms. An air elemental can provide THE BEST defense against a melee army - they can't hit you for a turn... but you can hit them, Water Elementals can range but without Kurrok... Wyrms... self bonding and can fill in as cheap substitutes for the bigguns (black = insta wound, Red = squad killer, White = multi attack)
  • Eldgrim - Fast glyph grabber and speeds up your heroes. He isn't meant to last so no guilt. Unlike...
  • Guilty McCreech - If he gets there first, he can pick off 30 points without trying. 2 attacks of 3 at 7 range is pretty good for only 30 pts.
  • Fire, Earth or Blue Wyrmling (but only 1... 35 pts leaves 25 left over) - Burn, blast or shock, but with only 1, they probably aren't your best choice.
  • Sahaugin Raider - Great swimmer and PERFECT for cleaning up near-dead heroes, not much else though.
  • Swog Rider - Fast, but not too good without archers to match, too fragile, even WITH archers, they will take a pounding.
  • Dumutef Guard - Semi-sturdy, semi-hard hitting, fast, and deadly on road maps. 2 of these guys can grab the road, hit the bridge and choke your opponent. If you have 25 pts and you see a bridge, put one on it!
  • Chainfighter - As sturdy as a DG, and with a neat dodging ability. He's even good in melee combat! Probably the better of the two, but DG is large and just a little bit safer in comparison.
  • Kyntela - No! Unless you have elves... NO, TAKE MARCU!
  • Marcu - Like Iskra, except with 2 more life, 2 less defense, 1 more attack, 1 more move, 30 less points and runs a 20% chance of turning on you PER turn. He can take a pounding and heal it back. If you want a vampire, take Iskra, she's more consistent, but he is cheaper and therefor a better filler.
  • Isamu - Inconsistent, but for 10 points he can get his value easily with just 1 wound. Hard to kill even with 1 life, plus with his high attack against Jandar, all you need to do is inflict 1 well-placed wound (Raelin *cough)
  • Otonashi - Less fragile than Isamu, but can't dodge. 2 more defense means her luck lies in 2 defense dice while Isamu rests in a d20 roll. She can max at a move of 10 without glyphs, so as a first strike, especially against braxas. 1 Wound on her is worth twice Otonashi's points already.
With 60 pts, you have a WIDE list of options, all of which can vary on your army.

AND THAT'S ABOUT EVERYTHING!

EDIT - Oops, forgot Sam Brown.

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:53 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Personally, I prefer the Marro Warriors and Isamu.

Although it does depend on your army.
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:40 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookiee View Post
I save that for the deathwalkers. Especially the large ones. It's the only way to crack their defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I think the wyrmlings are best served having 3-4 of them. Having just 2 means that you will be getting just one activation from the OM way too soon.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 12:30 AM

Looking East knows what's in an order marker Looking East knows what's in an order marker

I think everybody else has already covered this pretty decently.

For my two cents I'll put a few of my faves in this point range.

Marro Warriors and the Little Red Ninja: These guys aren't filler, they are cheap and powerful range skirmishers and clean up pieces. You can toss Isamu in with them to fill out the last 10 points. If you already have Raelin in your army, or are lacking in range units these guys are a natural choice for a generic and powerful add on to an army.

Death Reavers and Marcu: This is a good add on if you don't already have any good glyph grabbers. One squad of rats isn't really enough to use as an effective screen but its more than enough to snag and hold a glyph or two. Marcu fills out the last 20 points. This little vampire is a godly last man standing sort of piece, and sucks up wounds from that evil glyph if its out on the board. He's dangerous to use for taking and holding a glyph, but if your a gambler he can be used this way to great effect since he is fast, cheap and has a bunch of hp.

The Izumi Samurai are solid additions for maps with very tight choke points, clean up, or glyph holding. They pair up with Raelin well or against melee builds.

If your army has the KoW, Eldgrim pluss your choice of other mighty midgets like Marcu, Isamu, Guilty is a good option. The little champion is great for snaking glyphs and boosting movement on your big hero.

Two squads of nagrubs could make a decent filler. The only good thing about them is that you get a lot of them and they move quickly. You can grab glyphs, choke up the board a little bit. With Raelin they can screen semi decently.

Last edited by Looking East; December 2nd, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookiee View Post
I save that for the deathwalkers. Especially the large ones. It's the only way to crack their defense.
I know you are absconding with the urine here, but I find DED to be fun.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles