Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Help me spend my $$$--Boardgame suggestions-Part 2

Depends on his interests and how many players the game needs.

Carcassonne is a fun game that 2-5 players can play and if you add the Inns and Cathedrals expansion, 6 can play. The original game is around $19 at Cool Stuff Inc.com and Inns and Cathedrals is around $11

The Summoner Wars Master set is around $32 at Cool Stuff Inc.com and is a 2 player game that is really fun. It's like a miniatures game with cards and has a variety of factions to choose from. The master set comes with 6 factions.

Thunderstone is a cool deckbuilding game with a fantasy theme and it's around $29. The second base set, Thunderstone Dragonspire is also around the same price. Up to 5 can play this game.

Dominion is a nice game too.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 12th, 2011, 10:53 AM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Pandemic is a good cooperative game. My daugher and son (12 + 7) like it and I think it teaches kids to work together rather than as antagonists. That being said, the game is HARD! It makes you think and work together. I don't think the kids could play it without us adults helping. One thing that can ruin it, however, is if you have someone who's bossy and takes charge enough that everyone else become's disinterested. You really have to be a team player to have fun.

If you get Pandemic you should also get/consider getting:

On the Brink Expansion: The expansion has new play modes which are harder (like we needed that) but it also has new roles which make it more interesting. It also allows 5 people to play but @ 5 players the game is pretty hard.

Card Protectors: The Pandemic Cards get handled A LOT and dogeared cards change the game (HEY! WE'VE GOT AN EPIDEMIC COMING SOON!)

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

I'd suggest Ticket to Ride, allows 2-5 players, and its easy to teach and play. Almost anyone enjoys playing it, plays within an hour.

I also own Thunderstone and would back that suggestion as being pretty fun as well.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for all the suggestions. I appreciate everyone's input. I thought about Thunderstone, but I don't think he was too excited when we played Dominion. I haven't played Thunderstone enough to know how it compares to Dominion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Pandemic is a good cooperative game. My daugher and son (12 + 7) like it and I think it teaches kids to work together rather than as antagonists. That being said, the game is HARD! It makes you think and work together. I don't think the kids could play it without us adults helping. One thing that can ruin it, however, is if you have someone who's bossy and takes charge enough that everyone else become's disinterested. You really have to be a team player to have fun.
In regards to Pandemic, I was concerned that it would be too complicated, but I think it's a great idea. He may be the one teaching others in his family, though. I thought Castle Panic may be in a similar vein but less complicated. Does anyone know how Pandemic compares to Castle Panic?
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Bang!, if he'll have 4+ players. I've heard Cash & Guns is better, but I'm not familiar with it so I couldn't say.

If he's not going to min/max everything and lurk on BGG I'd recommend Dominion. If he's going to dig the fantasy theme I'd say Thunderstone.

Thunderstone takes a long time compared to Dominion. It drips with theme and the game play is somewhat less elegant, as hands get more and more cluttered as the game goes on.

On the other hand, I think the Dominion base set, on its own, does not stand up over time, if players begin to realize there are relatively few Kingdom cards in that one box that actually *matter*. If they will be happy to play over and over without finding Big Money decks and the @#$!ing menace that is the Chapel, then Dominion is a great choice, maybe the best.

/

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
I'm looking to spread some boardgaming love around this Christmas, so I'm looking for suggestions. Over Thanksgiving, we played some games with my nephew, who is 15. He really enjoyed Survive: Escape from Atlantis, but that is currently either unavailable or approaching $50, which is higher than we tend to spend. I've already bought Zombie Dice for his 11 year-old brother.

Any suggestions for some gateway type games for a teenager? I'd be happy to spend $30 or so. I thought about Castle Panic, Pandemic, or something along those lines, but I haven't played either, so I'm looking for input. I'd appreciate any help.

-akden
How many players are you looking for?
My teens really enjoy Shadows Over Camelot, Bang!, and The Resistance but all those games take quite a few players to play.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old December 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Bang!, if he'll have 4+ players. I've heard Cash & Guns is better, but I'm not familiar with it so I couldn't say.
I haven't played Bang!, but I have played Cash & Guns. Cash and Guns, while fun, is not terribly deep. It's the sort of drinking/party game you play after Cranium but before "I've Never." It doesn't lend itself to complex analysis and while that's a fault, it's also part of its charm.

I bought it for my dad for his birthday and while everyone had fun, it wasn't one that people asked for again.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old December 12th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMoochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I haven't played Bang!, but I have played Cash & Guns. Cash and Guns, while fun, is not terribly deep. It's the sort of drinking/party game you play after Cranium but before "I've Never." It doesn't lend itself to complex analysis and while that's a fault, it's also part of its charm.

I bought it for my dad for his birthday and while everyone had fun, it wasn't one that people asked for again.
I'll agree that that's a fair characterization of Bang! as well.

A lot depends on the 15 year old. I recommended that because, assuming the number of gamers is there, I thought it would be a fun, easy game when AKDen is not around.

If the gamer in question is capable of more, I'd recommend Dominion. The weirdness of deckbuilding and recycling your discard into your deck can be explained over the phone, if necessary.

If he wants theme and has larger blocks of time to play and might also be doing research on the side - let's say, a chess player - I'd go with Thunderstone.

If he would like something abstract, these days I am a big fan of Hive.

Summoner Wars is, of course, awesome, but appears to be too expensive.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Elder Sign from Fantasy Flight Games...fun..easy to learn and you can play solo. You can get it for about $25 from most online retailers
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post

How many players are you looking for?
My teens really enjoy Shadows Over Camelot, Bang!, and The Resistance but all those games take quite a few players to play.
It would most likely be only two or three people. They live some distance away from me, so we only get together a few times a year. He'd be playing with his family and friends at home, and I can't vouch for the numbers.

I like the thought of Elder Sign, or potentially Summoner Wars (love the game) or Thunderstone.

I do appreciate all the input. Thanks for the suggestions.

-akden

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games