Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old August 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Colorado NHSD map thread

This thread is for map discussions for Colorado NHSD.

There will be two map categories:
  1. Maps for standard 24-hex startzone play. This will be most of the maps (75% or more). Most of these will probably be well-known BoV-type maps.
  2. A category for maps where "heat of battle" rules will be used. Since these maps don't have to be symmetrical or balanced, we can do more unusual things that you can't get away with on a standard map. We will probably be making these ourselves and deciding on our favorites here.

Second post has maps we are using.

Last edited by dok; September 14th, 2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Colorado NHSD map thread

Maps accepted for standard (not Heat of Battle) play

Highways and Dieways, Swarm Edition, by UranusPChicago (mod by R˙chean):

SotM + RttFFx2. This map will be (additionally) modified slightly; the glyphs will not be played, and double sand tiles will be placed where the glyphs were so that the terrain in that spot is level with the road.

Can't See the Jungle, by Dignan:

RotV + TJx2.

Common Ground, by Gamebear:

RotV

Swamp Helix 7.3, by dok:

SotM + RttFF + M:TCB + FotA

Fulcrum, by Dignan:

RotV + TJ

Mayan Ruins, by R˙chean:

RotV + FotA + TJ

Katsuno Land, by Longheroscaper:

RotV + FotA + TT

Forsaken Swamp, by R˙chean:

SotM + TJ

Maps accepted for Heat of Battle play

Hot Border, by Longheroscaper:

RotV + VW

Rumble Bowl, by lafleurhero:

SotMx2 + some extra double-hexers.

Halfway up the Downs 2.3, by Ollie and dok:

RotV+SotM+TJ. This one will be modified - Kelda, Oreld, and Dagmar will be removed, and Valda will be moved to where Dagmar currently is located.

Last edited by dok; September 23rd, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Incidentally, if we do decide to use this, and GeneralRolondo shows up early enough, I call dibs on the black castle set.
LOL I'll definitely be comeing at least an hour and a half early so the castle sets all yours. (temporarily)^^. I personaly like most of the official ones from the first master set. Table of Giants, Whatever that swampy one is and Migouls Tomb. I don't know how many people have played the map in the VW set but I found it actually very fun. Other than those I like to make my own mostly. Anyway thats my opinion. I vote on that map above that he wants my castle set for.

See Yall there
-GR-

Deathreacers should be banned!
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm going to be probably building 4 or 5 maps. probably 1 or 2 BOV maps, 1 homemade HOB map, and 1 or 2 homemade symetrical maps, if I build a 5th one I'll probably build another HOB map just from my leftover pieces on the spur of the moment.

Two of the symetrical maps I might use are:

Arena of love: It's a small, heart shaped arena using two castle sets. (just because it has two doors). It has a special start zone rule, basicly the door is the start zone and if you destroy your enemies door then they can bring no more units into the arena. It uses only the two castle sets, misc double snow tiles and misc double sand tiles. I have a copy of it on my old computer but I've modified it sense then, the modified version is much better

second is a fairly large map (but not too large for a tourny) I made at a friends house so didn't get to put on virtualscape. It uses 1 ROTV, 2 glacier, and 2 RTTFF sets. it does have quite a bit of elevation. It features a large bridge going over the top of a glacier, there is enough room underneath for almost all medium sized figures and some large figures. It might sound like it's imbalanced because of the height, but it really isn't. It does favor flyers a bit, but flyers are already expensive anyway. Gladiators won a lot on this map, which tells me it is balanced since normally maps with a lot of height are dominated by ranged units. the map just looks so nice too, I have some pictures on my phone I can upload when I get the chance. If I build this one I certianly won't have enough terrain for 5 maps, I might even be able to build only 3.

Edit: tried to add the pictures but they just want to show as a big red X, so here is the link to the album the pictures are in my myspace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2400742

note that this picture has Jungle trees. I decided to go with regular reas instead to keep it with the two RTTFF sets, since it already was well balanced it didn't really need the jungle trees to help stop a ranged attack advantage.

Last edited by Cyborgs Gaming; August 26th, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: picture link
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafleurhero View Post
I'm going to be probably building 4 or 5 maps. probably 1 or 2 BOV maps, 1 homemade HOB map, and 1 or 2 homemade symetrical maps, if I build a 5th one I'll probably build another HOB map just from my leftover pieces on the spur of the moment.
My thought was that, rather than have everybody decide what maps they want to bring, we would work out the entire map set on this thread. So, post what maps you would like to have at the event, and we'll collectively decide which maps to use.

Just to be clear, the four I nominated are not automatically in - I'm just putting them out there for discussion.

Of course, we won't know exactly how many maps we need until we get closer to the event (and we'll probably want a couple extras to cover for possible walk-ins), but it pays to start putting a pool together now.
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
My thought was that, rather than have everybody decide what maps they want to bring, we would work out the entire map set on this thread. So, post what maps you would like to have at the event, and we'll collectively decide which maps to use.

Just to be clear, the four I nominated are not automatically in - I'm just putting them out there for discussion.

Of course, we won't know exactly how many maps we need until we get closer to the event (and we'll probably want a couple extras to cover for possible walk-ins), but it pays to start putting a pool together now.
I said that for a few reasons. Mainly I don't want to get my terrain mixed up with other peoples. I have a specific amount of terrain so I will need to know what all I can build in advance. I'm throwing out the two maps that I have already put together that don't require much more preplanning, then I will know what I have left to build already premade maps. Assuming I make just the glacier map I proposed (my personal choice), that means I have 2 SOTM, 2 ROTV, 3 jungle, and 2 caslte sets left. Then I can see which of the other proposed maps I should build, then I know what I have left to make up a HOB map with. If I don't plan it out like that then the terrain may not match up with the maps that everyone chooses. I'm gonna get those pictures loaded up here, of course it's hard to judge by the pictures alone but it will give an idea. Just remember that it plays much more balanced than it looks.
Old August 26th, 2009, 11:14 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

I will gladly use my stuff for maps that people want to make. Just gimmi a build instruction and I'll bring em.

Deathreacers should be banned!
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I said that for a few reasons. Mainly I don't want to get my terrain mixed up with other peoples.
This shouldn't and won't be a problem. This is what I see as the point of the thread:

Step one will be, over the course of this thread, making a decision exactly what maps we will be using.

Step two will be divvying these maps out among the people coming.

Example:

First, we will decide to build maps A, B, C, D, ... I, and J.

Then people will state what they can bring. Maybe you have the material to build maps B, D, and G. So you say so, and you package those up. You build each map, then take it down and box it up, so you'll have the material for exactly those three maps all set away. When you get there, you will build those three maps with 100% your pieces, and every other map will contain 0% your pieces. At the end, you will collect those three maps and go home. So, you get all of your stuff and only your stuff back.

Quote:
I have a specific amount of terrain so I will need to know what all I can build in advance.
Right, as do we all. But as a group we have plenty of stuff. Let's decide on the maps first, and then we'll figure out who brings what.

Quote:
I'm throwing out the two maps that I have already put together that don't require much more preplanning, then I will know what I have left to build already premade maps. Assuming I make just the glacier map I proposed (my personal choice), that means I have 2 SOTM, 2 ROTV, 3 jungle, and 2 caslte sets left.
I wouldn't worry too much about how much you, personally, can build. Between all of us, we have a ton of stuff. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Again, let's just decide what maps we want, and then we'll split things up.

Quote:
I'm gonna get those pictures loaded up here, of course it's hard to judge by the pictures alone but it will give an idea. Just remember that it plays much more balanced than it looks.
I would strongly prefer a pdf made from virtualscape, but if you can't do that at least include an overhead shot that shows the battlefield, preferrably with the startzones filled or otherwise marked.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
here is the link to the album the pictures are in my myspace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...lbumId=2400742

It does favor flyers a bit, but flyers are already expensive anyway. Gladiators won a lot on this map, which tells me it is balanced since normally maps with a lot of height are dominated by ranged units.
It's not really the height that worries me; it's the choke point.

Against, say, Gladiators, a few squads of rats could block the bridge until all 12 rats had been killed, and the narrow choke point means that the gladiators only get one attack per OM. Meanwhile, Q9 or Airborne Elite or stingers or whatever can fire away at the gladiators without taking shots in return. The only alternative for the gladiators is to work across the snow and through the water, making them vulnerable to attacks from height for two turns once they drop in the river.

It doesn't strike me as the sort of map I'd like to play on, unless of course I was the one with the rats & range.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I hear the asymmetric map workshop has some pretty good maps.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
I hear the asymmetric map workshop has some pretty good maps.
Huh? Oh, that thing, right. I guess I wouldn't mind trying some of those.

Halfway up the Downs and Inbetweener seem like funs ones to try at first blush. I've been meaning to re-work Birnam wood so I wouldn't suggest it. I like Fort Lannister, but I've already suggested one castle map for regular play, and I think it would be fun to use a castle map as one of our designated HoB maps.
Old August 27th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I think Halfway Up The Downs had the best reception among the three that were used at Battle at the Border (but I didn't hear much about Fort Lannister and Normandy Beach has been tweaked since then). I've playtested Inbetweener quite a bit. It plays pretty well, I think, but it suffers from the same main problem of all the maps with that type of start zone layout: it favours builds with lots of a common squad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day