Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old November 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Heroscape discontinued???

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
While I don't have everything I want I do have at least one of everything so if push came to shove I could create my own molds, cast, paint and decal my own figures possibly cheaper than buying. I mean if a Gladiatron squad gets to $50 I certainly would just go that route.
With a 3d laser scanner and a rapid prototyping machine you could create any of the existing figures for probably under $5 per figure. Maybe if someone has access to those and could do custom orders they could fill the need. I have access to the machines but could not get away with creating massive runs of "rapid prototype" Heroscape figures.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
I have been thinking. I don't care if they don't release any more scape for the next year and a half. Hell, even 2-3 years would be fine by me. As long as they kept the product alive, as long as they said it was not dead, but was simply on the backburner. That would make me happy to no end. I could use the break to fund my other games, but this can't be dead. It just can't. It is too great to be out of production. We really need to keep pushing the point home. It is all or nothing now. It sucks. Time to put the WotC Customer Service Center on speedial.
Seconded here.

If they're really worried about costs, give it two years or so and reanalyze what can be done.

I REALLY want to see the sales data. I'm pretty sure that scape is at least staying in the black at present (noting how the recent waves seem to be using less plastic than before), selling the same, and considering how I'm still buying...

Also, we've heard several times from WOTC that the Heroscape packaging really drives up production cost. I'd bet that EVERY member of 'scapers would still buy waves if they came in nondescript cardboard boxes, (or with some pictures, like the master set or fortress boxes).

So, Hasbro/Wizards, if you really think you should kill this brand, and not a randomly-bought broken game system that requires constant new overpowered units and format changes to drive sales (Magic), I don't know what to say.
______

Hey, here's an idea, throw 'Scape on the backburner for a year or two and start selling HeroQuest again, its been almost 10 years since the last release. As of now, Stephen Baker has seen two of his babies die in this manner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:29 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Hey, here's an idea, throw 'Scape on the backburner for a year or two and start selling HeroQuest again, its been almost 10 years since the last release. As of now, Stephen Baker has seen two of his babies die in this manner...
I would easily shell out $100 for a Heroquest master set reprint.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborocket View Post
With a 3d laser scanner and a rapid prototyping machine you could create any of the existing figures for probably under $5 per figure. Maybe if someone has access to those and could do custom orders they could fill the need. I have access to the machines but could not get away with creating massive runs of "rapid prototype" Heroscape figures.
Sadly that machinery costs tens/hundreds of thousands and even if you have them already the time to run the software and develop a scan is very costly to make something as complex as a figure. I had some 4 hex and 3 hex bases made and those were extreme enough and not cheap. To recreate actual figures would in that fashion would run a LOT more at least initially. Trust me it'd be easier to make the molds myself.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Sadly that machinery costs tens/hundreds of thousands and even if you have them already the time to run the software and develop a scan is very costly to make something as complex as a figure. I had some 4 hex and 3 hex bases made and those were extreme enough and not cheap. To recreate actual figures would in that fashion would run a LOT more at least initially. Trust me it'd be easier to make the molds myself.
Don't you guys remember the user here who molded his own Woos because he couldn't get one?

Edit: here it is: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...light=tutorial
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:02 PM

ljuneau is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
It depends entirely on where this is done. Here in the U.S., yes, it would be expensive. If done in China, it would be very affordable (given that the dollar doesn't collapse in the next year or two).

I have a friend who manufactures restaurant cooking equipment in China, simply because it costs 10% what it would cost doing it in this country.
Old November 5th, 2010, 12:03 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Sadly that machinery costs tens/hundreds of thousands and even if you have them already the time to run the software and develop a scan is very costly to make something as complex as a figure.
The entire setup costs ~$20,000 max. The 3d laser scanner I am thinking of can do something like a Heroscape figure in under an hour in full color. It even "prints" in full color so you would not even have to paint the thing once it is done. I am going to a trade show later this month I will see how much it would cost to run out of a service bearu printing on-demand.

I have the machines and software to do it at work. I just can't use them for something like this.

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old November 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I have the machines and software to do it at work. I just can't use them for something like this.
If you paid for materials and any other costs would your work let you run a few things? Clearly it would be illegal to sell such things for a profit but on some units that are near impossible to get people would likely be willing to pay the costs of such a thing.

ljuneau, I realize that and there are companies I could check into that have resources for such a thing. May be worth at least sending an email to a few places to see what costs would be.

Hogg I remember that well, I even have the materials to make molds and create a figure if I so desire. It'd just be whether it's worth it. Again obviously I couldn't sell them for profit. I'd make a Woo, Skahen and a few other things while I'm at it. Might as well right?

Old November 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Certainly it could be done, but if it got to any level where money was changing hands on a semi-large scale you can bet lawyers will get involved.

Hot Lava Death anyone?

Old November 5th, 2010, 07:11 PM

SabastianBludd is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
I would love to see Hasbro/WotC/ someone who bought the rights do this. Sell something called "conditional pre-orders" with a promise to print when the total number of orders reaches some threshold. They keep the money until then, enjoying the interest. As soon as they meet the threshold, no one can ask for their money back, etc.
Smaller hobby game publishers already do this, it's called the P500 program. A small publisher commits to producing a game after 500 people (usually more) commit to purchase the game. Go here to read about one company's version (they're all largely the same). The best part is that you don't pony up cash up front, you give them your credit card number and they notify you of the charge date so there are no surprises (provided the preorders pass the production threshold). So if the manufacturer listed several possible packs/squads for production, the one(s) that get the most threshold orders first would be first in line for re-release.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

If you do this for new figures, you'll need to pay a sculptor to make the original figure. Or if you go digital, someone to design the CAD files. If you're talking about remaking existing HS figures, that would be a copyright violation.

And then you still have to worry about painting, too.
Old November 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM

Well yes for original figures it would require a lot more expense, most figures are still sculpted by hand though and then have molds made. Still I am only talking about making molds of figures I already own. Granted I could sculpt up original pieces if I wanted. As far as copyrights its no different than me copying any other media as long as its for my own use its unlikely I'd have a problem. As far as painting, I like painting miniatures.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News