Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old August 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Bay Area Brawl - NorCal NHSD'08

The Bay Area Brawl - NHSD'08 is coming. It's gonna be one heckova gameday.

When And Where:

VENUE CONFIRMED! THE BRAWL IS ON.

Games of Berkeley
2151 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704

Saturday Oct 18th. From 11am to 6pm. Arrive Early!

Who:

1. Hex Enduction Hour
2. Wind Lane (Later Arrival)
3. S1R_ACT0R1US
4. Guerillinator Take it easy.
5. Alastair MacDirk Wah wah waaaah.
6. Satyr
7. TandemStryfe
8. RacerX
9. Malechi
10. Carnival Man (Later Arrival)
11. Carnival Boy (Later Arrival)
12. Mr. Fullerton
13. Bastion Kain
14. Lueathali
15. Dnutt99 (is back! still alive. I'm just making a note here.)
16. 1moreheroscaper (?)
17. Ronin Valentina

Maybes:
1. Faxandu13
2. Azrael's Acid

What:

The Main Event:
The Immortals Tournament. First initiative will be rolled at 11:00am!

Event Description: Version 1.1 of the Immortals rules has been added to the bottom of this post.

Secondary Event:
Heat of Battle Tournament. As players are eliminated from the Immortals Tournament, I'd like to also hold a smaller, secondary tournament. If you're free and interested, there should be a sign up sheet for this event. First initiative will be rolled at 1:45pm.

Event Description: This will be a 3 round Swiss tournament with no final. There are no starting zones, as players will take turns placing units anywhere on the battlefield except glyph spaces. The Battle begins once all figures are placed. Players bring order markers, wound markers, dice, cards, and a pre-drafted 450-point Heroscape army that does not exceed 24 hexes. Glyphs will be randomly selected from the Gylph Pool. Marvel units are not permitted.

Casual Play!
Some people just want to play the friggin' game! Players not interested in the Tourney Events (or were eliminated ) are more than welcome to sit down with a fellow 'Scaper and play. Casual gamers should bring armies valuing either 450 or 520 pts, for those who might want a little variety.

Be shore to bring all the stuff you need to play: Order Markers, Health Markers, one non-health marker for Hindered Defense, and dice. Additionally, bring one 450pt Immortals Army, a 450 Heat of Battle army, if you are interested, and any other casual armies you'd like to just play. Food and non-alcoholic drinks are allowed downstairs in the gaming rooms, so you can pack a lunch if you like.

The Maps:
One of each of the following:

Overlord
Map Support: Hex Enduction Hour

Embattled Fen
Map Support: RoninValentina

Road Rampage
Map Support: Ronin Valentina

Fire Isles
Map Support: S1R_ART0R1US

Myrkr Spring
Map Support: RoninValentina

Tursan Run
Map Support: 1moreheroscaper

Klomar's Training Grounds
Map Support: S1R_ART0R1US

Dolin's Switchback (Frosted Swamp removed per Creator's request.)
Map Support: Dnutt99

Glyph Pool
The glyph pool will be: Crevcor, Ulaniva, Lodin, Dagmar, Valda, and Gerda. Glyphs will be chosen randomly at the start of each match, and placed face up on the map at the designated tiles. (Ignore middle glyph position on Frosted Swamp) A Brandar Glyph may substitute for a Lodin glyph, as there may not be as many Lodin glyphs available. For those bringing maps, please bring one set of glyphs for every map. (I might need help with that, bringing three maps.)

Prize Support:

Oh yes. I've applied for Prize Support. With enough attendees, WotC is likely to throw some deliciousness our way. InfinityMax, representing VixenTor Games, has expressed interest in supporting NHSD'08 events with enough attendance. And perhaps most exciting of all, GrungeBob recently announced the Heroscapers has AGENT SKAHENS tucked away for NHSD'08. I've also asked Oncara to make a NHSD'08 Trophy just for this event!

VixenTor's special, NHSD '08 dice tower!

So what are you people waiting for? Come out and play! Fun, prizes, and most importantly, Heroscape! This is going to be the best National Heroscape Day yet- So sign up TODAY!

Heroscape: Immortals v1.1 - There can be only one!
Single Elimination Tourney Game - 450 pt armies. (No Marvel)

When constructing your army, choose a non-huge, unique hero with a Stat range of 1. There are no additional disqualifications to this rule. This figure is your Immortal, and must be identified to your opponent before each game. These new rules apply to that figure:

- Immortals can only be wounded (or destroyed) by other Immortals.

- Squads and other non-Immortal heroes may still affect Immortals however. If a normal or special attack would normally cause one or more wounds, roll a d20. If the attacker is a hero figure, add +2 to your roll. On a result of thirteen or higher, remove one order marker at random from the Immortal's army card. Note that you only allowed removal of one Immortal Order Marker per each of your own Order Markers.

Examples: Two Krav Maga Agents intend to fire upon the opposing Immortal. If the first attack both hits and successfully removes an order marker, the second Krav cannot also remove an order marker, but may choose to fire on another target, if able. Kaemon Awa's Quick Release Special Attack likewise cannot remove two order markers in a single activation. Both the Krav or Kaemon Awa could remove a second order marker if activated again by additional order markers. If non-Immortal Finn bonds with the Knights of Weston, and successfully removes an Order Marker from an opposing Immortal, the bonded Knights cannot also remove an Order Marker. A frenzying squad of Aubrien Archers can continue moving and attacking as normal, but may only remove one order marker regardless of how many times they frenzy.

- For wounds inflicted by unblockable attacks, or Auto-Destroy Powers of non-Immortal units, such as Braxas' Acidic Breath, or the Rechets of Bogdan's Lethal Sting, place a Hindered Defense (non-wound) marker on the Immortal's card. This marker conveys a -1 defense, and lasts until the next time order markers are placed. Only one such marker can be placed upon an Immortal card at any time.

Examples: After revealing a 1st Order Marker, Crixus the Immortal takes a leaving engagement with non-Immortal Drake. Crixus takes an unblockable wound and a Hindered Defense marker is placed on Crixus' card. If Deadeye Dan later that round uses Sharpshooter on Crixus and rolls a 20, a second Hindered Defense marker cannot be added to Crixus' card. The Hindered Defense Marker lasts until the end of the round, and then is removed.

Note that Lave Field tiles in essence have no effect upon Immortals. Any Hindered Defense marker received from a Lava Field's unblockable damage would then be immediately removed as Order Markers are reset. However, Molten Lava remains deadly, even to mighty Immortals.

- Immortals' normal and special attacks do not remove order markers, nor can they place Hindered Defense markers. All of their attacks and special abilities function normally against all figures, including other Immortals. All other army card abilities, bonuses, or glyph enhancements function normally with Immortal figures, with the following two exceptions:

- Immortals require order markers to be activated. This exempts them from squad bonding, or other abilities which allow unmarkered heroes from being activated.

Examples: Knights of Weston Human Champion Bonding, Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Ability.

- Immortals cannot be healed by any ability.

Examples: Life Drain, Sonlen's Healing Touch, Glyph of Kelda

The game ends immediately after one of the Immortals is slain, and the victor advances to seek his or her next victim!

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Last edited by RoninValentina; October 17th, 2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Continued Updates!
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart
Re: Bay Area Brawl - NorCal NHSD'08

I'm happy to help out however I can ... just a bit busy these days and Halloween is always time consuming.

To bad about Endgame. I hope the gamekastle works out. San Jose is not too bad from Oaktown, but it does make the trip a pain for thems like Malechi that are further north. Other venues include:

Games of Berkeley - 2151 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
It's your move - 4920 Telegraph Ave, Oakland.

I've tried to use these venues in past without success.

McDirk hosted the battle lord tourney at a pizza shop ... that's kinda what led to the hobnob. The hobnob was a tough venue since they wanted a single tab for food and drink ... not recommended. Just need to find a place with tables and a low volume lunch.

So are you thinking a tourney ???

Cry endgame and let slip the doggin of war.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Yeah for those in Sacramento or further out it GameKastle might be a slight bit farther but for those who may be south of the bay GameKastle is that much better.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for getting this rolling, Ronin.
I talked with the wife tonight and have secured that day for 'Scape.
I can attend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
- Somebody's house.
The only other option I know of currently is a personal location. Previous gamedays have been hosted by 'Scapers themselves. So that's an option, assuming someone wants to volunteer.
I'm more than happy to host a game day at my house if there's 6-8 of us. It would be in the garage, but completely possible for me to do at a moment's notice. Don't know if I can get things ready to host for a larger group - preparing the house, displacing the family and then resetting the house is a bit of a stress for us all once the school year is in full swing.
Let's see how many people we get?

Quote:
So if you know of any other places, please post them. I'll be happy to make the call and work details out. So, seriously. Mark your calendars. Cancel your appointments. Call in sick. Do whatever it takes:
Just as Heroscape was getting into full swing, my local games store, Scenario Games, shut down. It had a large gaming room stocked with tables, chairs, bathroom, and terrain for other types of war games.
Gosh darn, I wish that place was still around. It was minutes from my house.

Quote:
GameKastle.
Hosting a gameday next month! Here's the thread for that. GameKastle is a great place, and we'll see how well it handles a gameday soon. The other issue is GameKastle is here in San Jose, which is just that much further for some of the outlying crowd. Their online calendar notes that they indeed are available though.
I'm very intrigued with this place! Don't know if I'm attending that event, but I'm eager to know how the Kastle's playroom is for a large group of 'Scapers.
Old August 27th, 2008, 03:24 AM

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the venue suggestions, Satyr! I'll look them up and give them a call. Did your prior inability to game there stem from scheduling issues, or some other reason? And yes, I'm hoping to find a place that's more central for all those coming. I'm pretty interested in doing a tourney, yeah. But I want to give it a little more thought. Again, suggestions are totally welcome though.

I hope you can check out GameKastle in person with us, Hex. It'd be good to see you.

Old August 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Tournament Director Deluxe

Satyr is surprisingly tart

I've found that gaming stores with play spaces tend to schedule a lot of events to keep people rolling through the store.

Cry endgame and let slip the doggin of war.
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm in for whatever is planned wherever it ends up being. Let me know what I can do to help. I have plenty of terrain for maps.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm in. I've been keeping this date booked for weeks. The only catch for me is that I need to finish college apps, but I'm sure I'll be good to go. I think that we should do a tourney.
Old August 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Okay everyone. Bear with me here a moment.

I've decided after reading through the Gencon events and some of the battle reports I'd like to run a special event type tourney. Jumpstart sounds like a really fun way to play Heroscape, and that would be my first choice. Actually, it'd be my second choice, but the tried and tested choice. I've actually come up with my own special event, and I'd like to toss it out there for everyone to take a look at. I'll tell you upfront I haven't even tested it out yet, but I'm really looking forward to trying it out asap. If this sounds interesting to you, please try it out too and PM me about how it all turned out. In case this doesn't interest you at all, or sounds crazy, just say so. I'd be happy to select Jumpstart as a back up event. Without further ado:

Heroscape: Immortals v1.0 - There can be only one!
Single Elimination Tourney Game - 450 or 520 pt armies.(?)

When constructing your army, choose a non-huge, unique hero with a range of 1. This figure is your Immortal, and must be identified to your opponent before each game. These new rules apply to that figure:

- Immortals can only be wounded (or destroyed) by other Immortals. Squads and other heroes may still affect Immortals however. If a normal or unblockable attack from a squad on non-Immortal hero would normally cause one or more wounds, roll a d20. On a fifteen on higher, remove one order marker at random from the Immortal's army card. If a special attack from a squad or non-Immortal hero would normally cause one or more wounds, automatically remove one order marker at random from the Immortal's army card. Note that only one Order Marker can be removed per attacking card's activation. Also note that Auto-Destroy Powers, such as Braxas' Acidic Breath, or the Rechets of Bogdan's Lethal Sting abilities do not work against Immortals. (Lava?)
Examples: Two Krav Maga Agents intend to fire upon the opposing Immortal. If the first attack both hits and successfully removes an order marker, the second Krav cannot also remove an order marker, but may choose to fire on another target, if able. Kaemon Awa's Quick Release Special Attack likewise cannot remove two order markers in a single activation. Both the Krav or Kaemon Awa could remove a second order marker if activated again.

Immortals' normal and special attacks do not remove order markers. Their attacks and special abilities function normally against all figures, including other Immortals. All other army card abilities, bonuses, or glyph enhancements function normally with Immortal figures, with the following two exceptions:

- Immortals require order markers to be activated. This exempts them from squad bonding, or other abilities which allow unmarkered heroes from being activated.
Examples: Knights of Weston Human Champion Bonding, Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Ability.

- Immortals cannot be healed by any ability.
Examples: Life Drain, Sonlen's Healing Touch.

The game ends immediately after one of the Immortals is slain, and the victor advances to seek his or her next victim!

I'm pretty intrigued by this game mechanic, and having to choose when to use the invincible hammer, and when to use the army to support the offensive. I'm hoping this will allow for some interesting and otherwise unconventional Immortal picks, though there might be a few favorites. The Draft tourney in January was a pretty unique experience from what I've seen on Heroscapers, and I'm hoping I can continue that trend in October. So let me know what you think.

Old August 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby! Carnival Man rolls all skulls baby!

You can put me under "maybe" for the late shift...last year I had fun just showing up late & playing a couple games...

Carney's Trade List
Critic's Carnival - Progressive Rock on DLBN
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

So basically it's Highlander scape?

It sounds like it could be a lot of fun, but there's a lot to watch out for with it: First, see if certain heroes are the instant and obvious choice for your immortal...such as Cyprien who gets multiple attacks or Krug who suddenly can't be hurt very easily and has multiple attacks, or even Sonia Esenwein - Cyprien dying suddenly has no repercussions. Second, do ranged abilities exclude a hero from being a possible choice? Some heroes, like SotM Drake, don't have range except with a special. Third, if only another immortal can hurt an immortal that completely negates leaving engagement damage, the Nakita's engagement damage, toxic skin, or any other contact based ability or rule....you could have MBS running around as much as you wanted on your third order marker and it wouldn't matter if that leaving engagement hit, it wouldn't take any order markers from him. Fourth, not being able to heal kinda kicks certain heroes in the groin and makes them not really worth their points; Cyprien's a prime example of that.

And on a completely different subject, why can't we have multiple events? If we do multiple single elimination events where some are just less rounds than others we'll be able to have people playing in a wider variety of games rather than just one style for the whole day.
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Well, ya! There can be only one!

We easily could have multiple events, of course. That's the nice thing about single elimination events. If we had enough people to get a little WoTC prize support, we'd be able to divy out the goodies easily.

I thought really carefully about the Immortals' selection, Windlane. Krug is huge, so he's out. SotM Drake I flipped back and forth on, and I couldn't think of any other melee heroes with a ranged special.* I decided I'd rather have a simpler, blanket rule (Non huge-Range 1) than make exceptions to include or exclude certain figures. SotM Drake would be in. Agent Carr by that same rule is sadly out, but that's how it is. Or like Cyprien, who does has two attacks which makes him a good choice, though possibly a gamble. Maybe he'll win the game for you with a 20. Maybe he'll die ignobly against his foe, unable to get off a Chill Touch. Cyprien though was my first thought in deciding to disable healing in such a gametype. Without having fear damage-wise of 95% of the enemy army, his ability to heal at will would be pretty broken. But I didn't make the choice just to nerf a single character. With only one avenue to deal game winning damage, ie killing the opponent's Immortal with your own, I felt that being unable to heal your Immortal would A) prevent games from being way drawn out, and B) it would force you not to be completely reckless with how you played.

Also, yeah, Immortals can play with leaving engagements. I rather liked that idea. It's not foolproof- an unblockable hit like leaving engagements, Nikitas Engagement Strike, etc still have a chance to take off an order marker. If there are none remaining? Well, I think that's a matter of strategy. And there should be plenty of other figures on the board those ability will work normally upon. I feel fairly confident that the "no perfect figure" rule will extend pretty well into this type of game, and hope certain heroes who see little love might see some play. Mitonsoul could be a lot more hectic when Runa doesn't die in one round! Thanks for thoughts and critiques, Windlane. Especially below.

*I double checked and found two more figures- Jorhdawn and Chardris. And while Drake's range 5 attack 3 special doesn't seem too worriesome to most melee heroes, a synergized Rain of Fire attack seems harder to ignore, especially at 7 and 6 range, respectively. I'm not shore whether to keep to the rule or not. Thoughts?
There's also, say... Sudema with her Stare of Stone, but I confess I was leaving her in. Heck of a gamble to bring her to a melee tournament. Besides, who wouldn't want to say they won a gameday with Sudema?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day