Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old October 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker
House rules for large battles and large figures.

I am starting this up hopeing to get some sugjestions for large scale rules.

The first problem is large point battles. When you get over 500 points or so.
1 the big point cards just run around with all 3 activations on them so you might as well be running a smaller battle with large guys.
2 one side made up of 4 large figures will smash up a groop made up of sqwads even though they should be abble to swamp the "larger" force.

The two house rules I have tryed

1 You are allowed to cluster cards into groups of no more than 1/4 of the points being used. Then you can activate a groop of cards. you tend to get more bang for your buck out of the smaller cost sqwads so you actualy use them.

Drawback in a large battle you can wind up with alot of unanswered activations with 4-5 sqwads activating.

2 use the order markers from the diffrent master sets to distinguish the order and have 9 activations. this only realy works if you say no one can be activated more than one time.

Drawback If you can activate more than once than the big guys will just run around more. than with 4 activations. Also, this gets complicated you go back and forth so much you can loose track of where you are.

3 Every one gets to go, you put your cards in the order you want to activate them and then all of your points get to go.

Drawback a force made up of 30 cards is realy hard to shuffle around. If one side has many more guys than the other you wind up with alot of unanswered attacks at the end of the turn.

4 everyone gets to go just put some other kind of markers say take the extra markers from the 4 master sets everyone seems to own and number them 1-30

The next part is Huge \ titanic figures like him

I found this guy from warzone and could not resist.

I am already planning on upping his cost but I think the main problem people have with him or other realy big point guy is the the problem of him just taking all 3 activations a round. the answer might be just adding a house rule for Titans that they can only recieve 1 activation a turn so at least he is not just pounding away at the enemy while everyone else just sits on the sidelines.

I hope this starts up some discusion.

Wile I want sujestions on my ideas I also want yours. Someone might have the perfect large scale battle concept or large guy rule just in use at there place.

Pete

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
You have a neat suggestion there, certainly worth trying.

I have found that Bixby's MAM/a rules are PERFECT for large scale battles. You should check them out.

If you look in software you can download his excel file, and the rules are in that. Works like a charm.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:09 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Wow, that gorilla titan guy is way underpriced for his stats and powers. Compare to TorKulNa and then add in Q9's special and a captain america special, in addition to 10 life? I think we are looking at closer to 300 points here.

But as far as house rules for large scale battles, we have never needed any, we just play the normal way.

Tiberius is Rogue...
aboard STARSHIP THETA...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
One way to play large scale battles is to split up your army. If you have a 1000pt limit, you can make two 500pt armies each with their own order markers. All your figures are friendly but don't get all the synergies that come with "figures you control". I've played this way with 3 armies making 1500pts. What's cool is that you can have lopsided points if needed (400 + 545 + 455 = 1500). It also brings another element of strategy since once an army is defeated, you lose that set of order markers. We also played that on your turn, staying in numerical order, you could use any available marker from any of your armies. So on turn 1 you can choose army A, then your opponent goes, then you go again with marker 1 on army B. Turn 2, you could choose to use B first then A.

Another idea for larger maps is to allow an extra 3 movement spaces for any figure that does not attack or use an ability that takes the place of an attack. We used this before the Kozuke came out but I think it will still balance out with them in play.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:54 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
As far as balancing customs in the 250+ point range, there are some things you can do to keep them from just getting every order marker until they're dead.

You can give them either/or powers like the Surfer, Abomination, and Hulk. They have awesome movement options and awesome attack options, but not all at once on the same turn. You can also give them a single attack like Thanos, or keep their multiple attacks toned down using tradeoffs, again like Abomination and Hulk. Thanos can kill at most 3 venocs, rats, or blade gruts per round.

Your titan probably will get all the order markers because he does it all-- high life, high defense, huge size, single long-range attacks, auto-kill, d20 destruction, a huge special attack of 8, and multiple ranged special attacks. It isn't the game system's job to make this guy work-- it's your job as the custom creator to put limitations and shortcomings on the titan so that the player has a good reason to activate someone else.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight
Your titan probably will get all the order markers because he does it all-- high life, high defense, huge size, single long-range attacks, auto-kill, d20 destruction, a huge special attack of 8, and multiple ranged special attacks. It isn't the game system's job to make this guy work-- it's your job as the custom creator to put limitations and shortcomings on the titan so that the player has a good reason to activate someone else.
Looking at the card, an easy way to force the use of the rest of a player's army if they use the Gorillinator Titan would be to add a special rule "Gorillinator Titan may only use Stomp against any figure not attacked by a friendly figure this turn." This forces the player to use the rest of their army as 'forward observers', directing the Titan against the opposing army. It turns the Titan into a sort of field artillery piece, kept back to use its range against the units the front-line troops are engaging, and also increases the vulnerability of putting so much of an army's strength into the one unit -- if the other player can eliminate all of the other figures, the Gorillinator Titan loses all its ranged attacks and can only run around stomping on things.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker
Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius
Wow, that gorilla titan guy is way underpriced for his stats and powers. Compare to TorKulNa and then add in Q9's special and a captain america special, in addition to 10 life? I think we are looking at closer to 300 points here.

But as far as house rules for large scale battles, we have never needed any, we just play the normal way.
yep as I said I was already rasing the price to 300 I was dithering 275 290 300 so I put in 200 I should have put 2?? I just needed the space filled but As I said the price is going up.

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius

I don't think I've ever played with under 700 points...usually 1000.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions