Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old January 10th, 2007, 10:21 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Actually my thinking when I created the "unused" corners is that they could be used for ranged defense if the enemy was trying a flank attack down the side.

One of the things that I consciously make an effort to do when creating a map is to make sure that there is not wasted space or hexes for the sake of hexes. I agree that the corners will not always be used, but there was a method behind the madness.

On to other matters...
I see that I have successfully forgotten to create a display thread for the maps inducted into the Halls. Perhaps I should follow through and actually do what I said I was going to do...

Map Makers and Map Fans! We need some submissions to look at. Please feel free to nominate some maps that you believe to be the best of the best. We need your support.

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old January 13th, 2007, 06:54 AM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago
Actually my thinking when I created the "unused" corners is that they could be used for ranged defense if the enemy was trying a flank attack down the side.

One of the things that I consciously make an effort to do when creating a map is to make sure that there is not wasted space or hexes for the sake of hexes. I agree that the corners will not always be used, but there was a method behind the madness.
Perhaps this is an example of how people from different regions play the game differently. People I've played with would likely see using those corners as "wasted move" to keep them from getting to the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago
On to other matters...
I see that I have successfully forgotten to create a display thread for the maps inducted into the Halls. Perhaps I should follow through and actually do what I said I was going to do...

Map Makers and Map Fans! We need some submissions to look at. Please feel free to nominate some maps that you believe to be the best of the best. We need your support.
BTW, we only need one more vote for Arctic Divide to be inducted. Hopefully we can get the word out if AD gets inducted that we have two maps approved. And that can stir some interest.

UPC and other admis, would it be possible to have a Halls download category in the maps section?

DUND is underestimated and under-rated.
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:48 AM

ricksta2232 is surprisingly tart
Mole Hill

Well guys, I wanted to chime in and say how awesome I think it is that a battlefields hall of fame has been created, for those of us without painting skills. It just tickles my fancy, and hopefully one of my small but tournament worthy maps will eventually make it. If there's ever another judge needed, I would be honored to do so.

I saw Jonathan in person today to let him know about Mole Hill, and that it was the first map inducted into the halls. He was CLUELESS! NO ONE told him!

It was a pleasant surprise for him, and I was glad to see a fellow Houstonian get the honor.

Keep up the good work!
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:28 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksta2232
Well, can we nominate our own?
From page 1 of this thread:

SECTION 1: Submission guidelines and tips
1. Maps shall contain 24 start zones.
2. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 500 point armies.
3. Maps shall be limited to 1 MS and up to 3 terrain expansions, no two of which can be the same, with the exception that 2 Road to the Forgotten Forests are allowed. Keep in mind the fewer expansions a map includes the more likely it is to be used. If the map makes use of a few wave expansion tiles, that will be acceptable. Submitted maps must state what expansions are needed.
4. Anyone can nominate a map for consideration, but it will not go through the judging process without a majority vote of the Council.
5. Submitted maps must include build instructions.
6. Glyphs are not required, but any number may be used to enhance a map.
7. Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. flying, lava resistance, etc.).
8. Do NOT slap a map together and nominate it for consideration. Playtest your submitted map AT LEAST once, or judges will be likely to hunt you down and flog you with wet noodles.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I understand that, and I read the rules, but it doesn't specifically say whether a map nominated can be one's own...
Old January 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
4. Anyone can nominate a map for consideration, but it will not go through the judging process without a majority vote of the Council.

8. Do NOT slap a map together and nominate it for consideration. Playtest your submitted map AT LEAST once, or judges will be likely to hunt you down and flog you with wet noodles.

It says anyone can nominate a map. If you have one of your own creations that you feel is worthy, nominate it but please reference item 8 as well.

So nominate or if you feel funny nominating your own, have Jonathon do it. I would love to have another map to judge!

Old January 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM

nomination

Okay, Okay!

(no worries, all of my maps are playtested... recently we've messed with one of my meta maps on a game day, but it uses the water from two master sets... oh well...)

Please don't flog me with wet noodles!
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Ricksta, sorry if i came off snooty...not me intent

Nominations are welcomed and encouraged.

Old January 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Watch out, ricksta! R˙chean really is snooty! Snooty, snooty, snooty! <laughing and ducking and hiding all at once>
Old January 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM

Sea_Wolf64 has disabled reputation
I'm new to the game and this forum. I have to say thank you to this project. As a future map designer/tournament host its very helpful to review this thread and the maps you review. Hopefully I will have some maps in the future for your consideration.

Sea Wolf, builder of anything
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Hmm. No more nominations. Where should we look first for hall-of-valhalla maps?

On another note, I'm really glad you guys liked Mole Hills (and thanks for the nom, GB)!
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:08 AM

Ch1can0 knows what's in an order marker Ch1can0 knows what's in an order marker
If the display thread is planned like a kind of showcase...

...a better rendered sreenie should be used imo.

Perhaps also with title and author.

And with more entries the thread will become a nice gallery of the best tournament maps.

Start zones should be clear but i would have marked them (red/blue for example) in the pdf, as a standard for all maps.

Nice map btw, good use of tiles!

Ch1can0.

My Maps for 1, 2 and 3+ Mastersets

"We don´t cost enough." - Marro Warrior, just cloned.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios